[2007] Tournament : The Bountyhunter's heaven [by Merlin The Wizzard]

Merlin The Wizzard said:
I find the megademons easier to fight then the Finger mages, and I particularly dislike their penchant of flying away over lava while fleeing.
Finger mages will not flee if
- they are occupied in melee
- they are occupied with missile firing at half distance. (at long distance, they will fly towards you - useful if you need to lure them to a place where they can drop items)

The 'trick' is to avoid damaging them too much before either of the above is met and you think you can keep it that way during the fight.

@Huriel: It's not so much the fact that high end gear might be required, it may well be the case that she ends up using mauls and swords throughout the game, because she cant replace them with a spear or javelin.

@jiansonz : That might be tricky with a bonemagicking meleemancer :p First, let's see if I get there. :)

Another issue I just thought about :
If you encounter a gem shrine, you may only use it if you have a gem in your inventory that dropped from a legitimate mob.
Also, in order to be able to complete the quests, you have to be able to get and use those items that you pick up in the course of the game. So you may pick up quest items, and use them to complete quests/gain rewards. This includes the Book of Skill from Radament, and the Jade Statue from Act 3.

I'll try to cook up a more comprehensive list of rules, for easy access. (Leave the huge bountymob selection and scoring system out, just pure rules)

Merlin The Wizzard said:
it may well be the case that she ends up using mauls and swords throughout the game, because she cant replace them with a spear or javelin.
This recipe could help for javelins:
1 spear, 1 quiver of arrows -> Set of Javelins

If you can remember to not throw the last javelin, you can repair the pack for 1 gold.

standard rules
- HC only
- Single pass, no rerun.
- No MultiPlayer (duh)
- ATMA/GoMule may be used as an extended stash.
- Mercs are allowed
- Use any /players you like. However, no /players 8 just for chests.

- Pick out bountymobs as per rules listed on page 1. List these, the selected Act Boss and the superunique heroes in your character introduction post.
- You may kill all mobs. You MUST kill all trophymobs.

Equipment restrictions/item drops
- Items you can always pick up : health/mana/stamina/antidote/thawing potions, scrolls of town portal/identify, and gold. These are the only items to be taken from chestdrops.
- Quest items may also be picked up and used for the reward or continuing the game. However, wielding the Horadric staff or components, or Khalim's flail and Hellforge Hammer (apart from solving the respective quests) is not allowed. You can't use the ring from Akara, the ring from Ormus or the class specific rare from anya either.
- At the start of the game you may shop for equipment. However, such equipment MUST be replaced as soon as an applicable item drops from one of your bountymobs.
- Gambling is allowed to get rid of your money, but the items gambled cannot be equipped and used.
- The items dropped by your bountysuperuniques MUST be used, as per rules in first post.
- Items dropped by the selected Act Boss MAY be used, as per regular trophymob rules.
- If, in any act, you never encounter any of your trophymobs (Superuniques DO count!), you may use the item drop from that act's boss, as per previous rule.

- When you are in doubt what items have been dropped by your bountymobs, you cannot use any of them. Try to separate the mobs!

- Your mercenary is bound to the same item restriction rules as you are. You may use a superunique drop on your mercenary, if possible.
- You may put a superunique drop in the off-weapon slot, but should another weapon drop from the next superunique, you must replace your current weapon (but see mercenary, above).

- Poison/exploding shrine may not be used for item pick up. Gem shrine can ONLY be used if you hold a gem that dropped from a bountymob. Other shrines may always be used (Try to lure your trophymob near a monstershrine!)
- Keepers/graliers that drop in game may be muled off, but not used by this character.

Character limitations
- No summoned creatures that can do damage are allowed.
- This means the amazon may use decoy, and the druid may summon his life/mana regenerating vines, and the oak sage/Heart of Wolverine

- Skill restrictions:
- Barbarian : No Find Item, Find potion.
- Assassin : No Death Sentry, Lightning Sentry, Shadow MAster/Warrior.
- Amazon : No Lightning Fury, Valkyrie.
- Necromancer : no Summon tree skills
- Paladin : No Blessed Hammer
- Sorceress : No Hydra, Meteor, FO, Blizzard, Chain Lightning.
- Druid : No ravens, wolves, grizzly, poison creeper, spirit of barbs or tornado

I have a quick question. As far as superunique bounty mobs go, do you have to equip the most recent drop? For example, I have Bishibosh and the Witch Doctor. If Bish drops gloves, I have to wear them (obviously). Now if the Witch doctor also drops gloves, do I have to wear them over the ones Bish dropped or do I get to choose which to wear?

So it is. I don't know how I missed it.

I am going to give this a shot. It sounds like it could be a lot of fun.

Meet Trymon, the Shock Paladin (Ranger hopefully). I've never played one, but it seems like they can do alright with a wide range of weapon types if necessary.

My randmon bounty mobs:

Act I - Fallen Shaman (Bishibosh, Colenzo)
Act II - Vulture Demon
Act III - Fetish Shaman (Witch Doctor Endugu)
Act IV - Vile Mother
Act V - Abominable (Frozenstein)

And last but not least I drew Baal as my Act boss.

They seem ok to me. Not really worth rerolling. Right?

Act I - Corrupt Rogue (Countess)
Act II - Slinger
Act III - Frog Demon (Battlemaid Sarina)
Act IV - Finger Mage (Grand Vizer)
Act V - Frozen Horror (Snapship Shatter)
Duriel

Just double checking, did I do this right? Does it look like a bad/good roll to you?

I went ahead and decided to reroll. Almost purely because I had 3 bounty mobs that would be very hard to separate out the loot.

My reroll:

Act I - Fallen (Rakanishu)
Act II - Leaper
Act III - Fetish Shaman (Witch Doctor Endugu)
Act IV - Regurgitator
Act V - Succubus
Act Boss - Andy

Again, if I missed any Super uniques, just let me know.

@Jaelen: I don't think you did. This is actually a much better roll, imho... 2 superuniques less, that's nice. Leapers might also spawn in Act III and IV. The Fetish shaman is still a weak point, as they are few and their loot is hard to separate from the normal fetishes. The Succubi I find hard to tell apart from the Stygian Furies, so that might take some careful killing (making sure you have a group of Succubi, rather then furies). Regurgitators are quite allright, I'd say.
The Fallen is pretty nice though. I dont foresee any equipment problems during Act 1 for you, Jaelen! :p
And Andy has those nice gems you can use, which isnt bad.

@Fabian: I'd probably switch it for mine! :p
Allthough the Countess can potentially drop several items which you will HAVE to use, she will also drop at least 1 rune, which can be used for a runeword. So if you play your cards right, and are lucky with the drops, and last all the way through hell, you could get 1, maybe 2 runewords for sure, on items you won't have to switch out! Besides, Corrupted rogues are quite common, as are the slingers in act 2, so you'll probably have a reasanbly equipped hero at the end of act 2. And you can use Duriels drop as well, although he's by far my least favorite boss, not only for killing, but also item drop wise.
Frog demons aren't all that great though, and they will be the only trophymobs you'll find in Act 3, since neither Fallen nor slingers spawn here. I've got Finger Mages as well, I hate their fleeing away over lava, but they can spawn in several map areas. Your act V spawn is way better then mine, IMHO. They spawn much more then siege beasts, that's for sure :p

Decided on playing a Paladin - not sure if it's going to be a Tesladin, a Frost-Zealot, a hybrid or a FoHDin - or something totally else:grin:

My rolls granted me a s***load of superuniques - I don't know if it's even possible to have more...Now I'm indecisive. On the one hand I'll get more (potentially useful) usable items, on the other hand, I'll have to use them...

What do you people think?

I - Fallen (Rakanishu)
II - Sabre Cat (Blood Witch the Wild)
III - Council Member (Ismail Vilehand, Geleb Flamefinger, Toorc Icefist, Bremm Sparkfist, Wyand Voidbringer, Maffer Dragonhand, Bartuc the Bloody)
IV - Megademon (Infector of Souls, Ventar the Unholy)
V - Reanimated Horde (Bonesaw Breaker, Pindleskin)
Boss - Mephisto

Well, you could have gotten zombies in act 1, with two superuniques, or Fallen Shaman (also 2)... :p But you pretty much have the superunique jackpot :p
Basically, you have to balance out the potentially great drops from the council against the scarcity of the mobs and the high lvl of superuniques... I'd opt for a reroll, because with a bit of bad luck, you'd pretty much have to wait for superunique drops after Act 3, and you have an otherwise excellent roll, so a big chance you keep finding good, usable items that you have to sell...

I originally was going to steer clear of this one, but have grown to love it. Very well done indeed Merlin. 👍

Two questions...well, perhaps one question and one suggestion:

Replays? Do you just get one attempt, or one attempt per class, or as many attempts with whatever class?

Given that some quest rewards, book of skill, lam essen and golden bird are allowed (which I think is great, this will be tough enough as is), how about also allowing the Hellforge? That'll at least give you a chance to get a decent rune-word...but you'll still need all the stars to align for you. ;)

I was thinking Frost Zealot or Tesladin myself (given that I've never played either and they're very versatile weapons-wise), but it seems they're too popular, so I'll pick a different class and make my rolls later today.

Butz. :dunce:

scoring

As promised, the updated scoring rules.

The list
Act I :
Common : Zombie, Fallen, Skeleton, Spike fiend, Corrupted Rogue.
Uncommon : Fallen Shaman, Corrupted Rogue Archer, Corrupted rogue spearwoman, Skeleton archer, wendigo, goatmen, blood hawk, tainted, wraith
Rare : The rest, meaning : Vampires, Giant Spiders, Fetish, Skeleton mage.
Almost non Existent - Not for this act.

Act II
Common - Sabre Cat, Leaper, Mummy, Skeleton, Scarab Demon, Vulture Demon, Slinger
Uncommon : Sand Maggot, Skeleton Archer, Skeleton MAge, Blunderbore, Bat Demon, Greater Mummy, Sand Raiders.
Rare - Zombies, Vampires, Claw Vipers, Swarms, Wendigo, Goat men, Wraith, Blood Hawk, Baboon Demon.
Almost non-existent - None.

Act III
Common - Fetish, Zakarum Zealots, Thorned Hulks.
Uncommon - Fetish Shaman, Bone Fetish, Baboon Demon, Zakarum Priests, Giant spider, Giant mosquito, Bat demon, Vampire, Vulture demon.
Rare - Zombie, Mummy, Greater Mummy, Skeleton, Blunderbore, Corrupted Rogue, Corrupted rogue archer, Willowisps, Frog Demon, Leaper, Scarab Demon, Sand Maggot, Wendigo, Blood hawk, wraith
Almost Non-existent - Sand Raiders, Council Members.

Act IV
Common - Oblivion Knights.
Uncommon - Regurigitators, MegaDemons, Fingermages, Vile mothers.
Rare - Willowisps, Tainted, Bat demon, Sand maggot, Blunderbore.
Almost non-Existent - None

Act V
Common - Demon Imp, Baals Minion(includes Suicide minions), Death Maulers, Frozen Horrors, Reanimated Horde, Succubi.
Uncommon - Blood lords, abominable, overseer, Putrid Defiler
Rare - Stygian Fury, Catapult, Siege Beasts, Guest mobs.
Almost non-existent : Minion of Destruction.

Now, to balance out points a bit (because Fallen will net only 1 point, whereas vampires will come to a cool 8 points, for example)
Should NONE of your trophymobs spawn in an Act, you can use the drops from the act boss, and add 8 points to your score.
If your mob only spawns in 1 act (council members and the last hero waves in Baals throne EXCLUDED) : +5
If your mob spawned in 2 acts : +2
Council-members : +2

Other scoring rules :
Each character level -1
Each waypoint +1
Each quest +1
Each Act completed +3
Bonus for all quests, all waypoints : +1

PS. Can someone please make a table for me? I have no idea how... :shame:

to make a table do this-

Code:
 and then insert text and then [code]. Add a / infront of code for the last brackets ( i didn't add it because i would be making a table myself). 

Hope it helps, if you still have trouble try replying to a persons post who has a table and it should show how it is done.

hope that helps.

What about this one?
Although I filled in the table with my first roll, I still might consider a reroll with my character - but probably not. I'd mess it all up, I guess:rolleyes:

EDIT: Thanks to Wolron and Mursilis, from who I adapted the style as based on the Obsession tournament table :)

EDIT EDIT: For those new to table editing:
- quote the newest table
- remove the [ quote ] brackets on top and at the bottom
- copy and paste the table to an editor (Winpad for example; any program, that writes each letter in the same width will do)
- fill in/edit your data
- copy and paste it back into your reply
- voilà ! :)

Code:
[highlight]ALIVE[/highlight]
[U]Score Character       Class       Forum Name        Level   Act    WP      [/U]
  0   Shockfrosted    Paladin     Grisu               1     A1     Rogue Camp

[highlight]DEAD/RETIRED[/highlight]
[U]Score Character       Class       Forum Name        Level   Act    WP      [/U]

Code:
[highlight]BOUNTY MOBS[/highlight]
[U]Character       Act I       Act II      Act III     Act IV      Act V       Boss    [/U]
Shockfrosted     Fallen      Sabre Cat   Council     Megademon   Reanimated  Mephisto

@Grisu - Thanks for the effort!
@Morathi - Thanks for the explanation. Are you going to join? I hope so, the more the merrier I think :p

@Butzull - I went through that same 'falling in love' process when I started to work this out. :laugh: It's quite elaborate, but I think it has potential... Still, since I'm an itemhogger, its gonna be very hard to let all the goodies lie on the floor :wink3:
Your questions :
1) I don't see no reason why not, really. This is hard enough as it is. Restart as many times as you want, score restarts at zero, only highest score counts for winning purposes... obviously :p
2) Hmm... ok, that's a good way to get socket fillers I suppose. Superunique socketfillers still have to be used first though. If you make a runeword with the Hellforge rune(or a cubed up version) in it, and no superunique rune, it can't replace a superunique weapon. The other quest limitations still hold.

@ Merlin. I am not sure yet, i will most likely join if my druid dies in the no vitality tournament.
I dont like to have more than 1 character at a time, because i like to focus entierly on that 1 character and learn its playstyle and skills the best i can to hopefully make a guardian (havn't made one yet, infact the furthest i have gone in any HC chracter is Act 1 NM, which has happened twice but then i ditched both thoes characters for some reason).

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High