[2005] All Alone Tournament II [by skoolbus]

Jan 3, 2007
DISCLAIMER: Please do NOT post in this thread yet. We still need to migrate all posts from the old thread on diabloii.net to this thread. If you want to help, feel free to do so :)

To migrate a post, use the "multi-quote" function in the original thread for all posts of one page, insert the quotes, then copy and paste the text into this thread and insert quotes from original posts (i.e. quoted quotes) manually. Take a look at the latest post in this thread to see how migrated posts should look like. Once all posts from this thread have been migrated, the disclaimer will be removed and the thread open to new posts.

This tournament has already ended. It was originally started by skoolbus on Nov 29, 2005. The last post was made Apr 3, 2007.
(link to original thread on diabloii.net)

All Alone Tournament II Signup & Progress Thread

It's finally here, the second All Alone Tournament! The old one can be found here.

-----Rules-----

1) HC only. No mods.
2) Any class. Any skill allowed.
3) Any item you find may be used.
4) Here's the tough part, no going to town unless it is essential for progressing in the game, AND you may only speak to those necessary people for the purpose of going on, not to buy anything, AND you may never use your stash. Exception to this rule is you may go to town after killing Radament or Nihaltik (you must kill them, no going to town because you decided you had enough after sewer lvl 2) but you do not have to attempt these quests if you do not wish, the purpose of this being to allow anyone who wishes to do these quests.
5) No Save and Exit to escape death.
6) No re-running any area.
7) No multiplayer allowed.
8) You do not need to get all the wps nor complete all the quests.
9) You can mule off any items you want, but may not mule anything back on.
10) Winner will be whoever gets the furthest, if there is a tie then whoever has the most experience wins.
11) If you accidently break the rules, don't use the reward/item/merc you got from it. If it's a small breaking, you're not disqualified, but if you find yourself in act 4 with a rogue merc, that's severe enough to disqualify you.
12) Any /players setting allowed.
13) You may start again twice if you get disqualified or die within normal.

You may carry around tps and make town portals, but never go in them, in order to reroll ancients or because you think they look cool. Exceptions to this are when you must go to town, as in act 2. You mail wish to run around in the jail to find a tome of identity.
You also face a conundrum of whether to carry extra potions, khalim's brain, that rare scimitar, or the stormlash you found.

Changes from the first tournament include:
- relaxed save and exit rules
- relaxed disqualification rules
- option of killing radament and nihaltik
- two restarts
- changed the 'play through the game' simulating rule to no rerunning areas
- changed how a winner is chosen if there is a tie

To sign up, just tell us what your character's name and build will be. You must start your character before the end of January if you wish to participate. The tournament ends if there are no updates in this thread for three weeks, everyone dies, or May 10th (whichever comes first).

GOOD LUCK!

Note: These are posts #2-20 from the original thread.

Continuing from the first one, I'm gonna keep going with a holy shock pally, Tres_Bonez.

Code:
Alive Characters

Tres_Bonez         Paladin        Rogue Encampment/Norm     skoolbus

Dead Characters
I get a second chance? Yowza!

My HF Zealot in the previous tournament died prematurely in the Disused Reliquary. I think the build has great potential for this kind of tournament, so I will try it a second time. I will practice more with Smite and Charge so I may be able to handle such ambushes that killed poor Jack better.

Enter Adrian the HF Zealot.

Nice that we are now allowed to enter some more areas. One more remains, though: the cow level. Can we go there, too?
So we are allowed to do the quests that involve Radament and Anya, but we arent allowed to get the quest rewards from them? So no bonus skill points (from Radament, and also from Tyriel in Act IV) and also no resistance bonus in Act V after we rescue Anya?

Only reason I ask is why even bother doing those quests if you wont get the reward. :)
Severoth said:
So we are allowed to do the quests that involve Radament and Anya, but we arent allowed to get the quest rewards from them? So no bonus skill points (from Radament, and also from Tyriel in Act IV) and also no resistance bonus in Act V after we rescue Anya?

Only reason I ask is why even bother doing those quests if you wont get the reward. :)
Because it gives you access to more resources.

The Radament reward can be collected, since he drops the book of skill. You can't get the Atma discount, but that doesn´t matter in this tournament amyway.

Regarding Tyrael: if you kill Izual (and why not?) you will get the reward when you are leaving act 4, because then you have to talk to Tyrael.

We miss out on the resistance scrolls, Lam Esen stat points, Cain/Ormus rings and Anya's items.
Ooooh yeah. I'd been waiting for this one.

I'm going to try and remake my original All Alone character, the Poison/Skellymancer, Zerga! This time I'll remember to invest a lot in the Skellys at first..

Code:
Alive Characters

Tres_Bonez         Paladin        Rogue Encampment/Norm     skoolbus
Zerga              Necromancer    Rogue Encampent / Normal  San

Dead Characters
jiansonz said:
We miss out on the resistance scrolls, Lam Esen stat points, Cain/Ormus rÃings and Anya's items.
What? If I can't have Ormus' ring, then count me out! (Seriously, the first time was fun, but I've got too much going on right now to start another tournament.)
jiansonz said:
Nice that we are now allowed to enter some more areas. One more remains, though: the cow level. Can we go there, too?
Stupid question. :bonk: I may as well answer it myself:

No, we can´t. Since our characters lack some key information, they have no idea how to get to Tristram!

Adrian has started his adventure. A has been proven before, Holy Fire is a saving grace for a starting Paladin. Using that, Adrian can wreak havoc with just about any sort of Scepter or Spiked Club. He actually ditched some rare self-reparing javelins in favour of a 3s Hunter´s Bow. In hindsight, that was probably unwise. He was killing annoying CE or LE bosses so much faster with those javelins...

Adrian, HF Zealot
Level: 15
Next area: Black Marsh
Must....not....enter....another....tourney... :evil:

Ok, maybe just one more :D

I missed the first go around, but just can't resist a second time. As I'm going on a business trip, I won't be able to start until the weekend. A while back I started (and abandoned) a themed character that couldn't talk to townsfolk, so will play him again - the rules are essentially the same here.

So re-introducing Bip the Necromancer (you can google the thematic reference). I'm not sure yet if he will be an overlord or a bonemancer, but have a little time to think it over.

Good luck to all! 👍
I'm in. :)

I intrigued myself with the notion of a MA-zon, so that's what I'll do. I'll max out MA, and then one side of the elemental arrow tree. If I'm still alive after that, I don't know where they'll go.

No valk for me, as this is an All Alone tourney. :)

So, I return to my old naming convention for tournaments, and introduce to you:

Nueve
Level: 1
Next Area: Rogue Encampent (as I'm at work, and haven't made her yet!

Once I get my wisdom teeth out tomorrow, and recover a bit from that, I'll start her up.
Well I guess I'm back again! Heh. Cattle.Net has died down, so I have more free time to play SP as well... and I may as well start fresh (I'll think about twinking later, for now I'll just keep my atma stashes under the pile of dust they're in)

So what better way to start fresh than a) hardcore and b) in an fully alone tournament!

Will be playing a trapasin:
Kamaso
Level: 1
Rouge Encampment (for now..)

And a clarification (I dont forsee this being a problem), I can use a Korean language D2 to play? It is still vanilla 1.11, just everything is in, well, Korean.

[Edit/Nitpick]You can't ever get to do the Nihaltik quest, as you can never save Anya. That would require talking to Malah, and since you dont NEED to save Anya in order to progress, you can't talk to Malah. (as per rules). Or am I mistaking something?
Bull(R) said:
And a clarification (I dont forsee this being a problem), I can use a Korean language D2 to play? It is still vanilla 1.11, just everything is in, well, Korean.

[Edit/Nitpick]You can't ever get to do the Nihaltik quest, as you can never save Anya. That would require talking to Malah, and since you dont NEED to save Anya in order to progress, you can't talk to Malah. (as per rules). Or am I mistaking something?
You can use korean language D2, I never realized that you couldnt do nihaltik, I was thinking it was similar to Radament, so it is impossible to do nihaltik quest!
Well, got Zerga started, and quite quickly cleared the Blood Moor, The Den, Cold Plains, The Cave, The Burial Grounds, The Crypt, The Mausoleum, The Stony Fields, The Underground Passage and The Dark Woods. I've so far found zero S/U's.

Just after finding my second chipped Topaz, and putting them in a Leather Armour, I found these Rare Throwing Knives with Increased Stack Size, Replenishes Quantity,+dmg&AR to Undead, 10% IAS and 7 Posion dmg. Max stack size is 85. They've been pretty nice for supporting my skellys. So far I've invested a couple points in Skeleton Mastery, one in Clay Golem, Amp, Bone Armour, Teeth and Corpse Explosion, and the rest in Raise skeleton. I think I'm at level 14 now..

On my main switch I have those Rare Throwing Knives, and a Preserved Head (for the poison dmg) with +1 to RS. On the secondary switch I have a Wand with +3 to Bone Armour and a Cracked Preserved Head with +1 to Bone armour. In my inventory I have a Wand with +1 to RS and +3 to SM :D Some pretty nice finds I've made there... That last Wand quite made up for the lack of S/U items. I've got my my armour and cap both socketed with two chipped topazes. Other equipment is pretty much useless. I've found two useful charms, one with +1-2 cold dmg, one with +6 poison dmg.

Now I'm gonna go and eat dinner, and then maybe continue on.

Good luck to everybody!
Code:
Alive Characters

Tres_Bonez         Paladin        Rogue Encampment /Norm     skoolbus
Zerga              Necromancer    Rogue Encampment /Normal   San
ChaoticSolitude    necro          rogue encampment /norm     dune6836
Dead Characters
ok, i think i understand the rules. this necro will be a curser who pings things at monsters. not certain about his weapon yet will see what he finds. will use confuse, assuming he lives long enough to get it:) and might have some bone protection too. dune
ok, have made a start. i decided to do full clears (within the confines of the rules) and have cleared everything upto the underground passage.

i have managed to find plenty of replacment equipment as mine has broken and now have an inventory full of (unidentified) equipment.

i suspect that the most vital and urgant problem which will face this (and all) characters is not finding id scrolls.

good luck all. i will update again if i manage to kill andi. dune
Code:
Alive Characters

Tres_Bonez         Paladin        Rogue Encampment /Norm         skoolbus
Zerga              Necromancer    Rogue Encampment /Normal       San
ChaoticSolitude    necro          rogue encampment /norm         dune6836
Kamaso             Assassin       Rouge Encampment / Normal      Bull(R)

Dead Characters

I've gotten Kamaso played somewhat.. so far no real great finds, other than gloves with +1 dex, +1 str, 5 fire resist and the all important repairing mod! As others have mentioned, the lack of identifying is keeping my inventory full of junk... mostly rings/amulets as I try to identify charms and larger items before I identify these. Full clears have led to nice experience, and a cluttered inventory... but I'm hoping for some nice repair items that can take slots for the time being.

Kamaso
Level: 16 Trapasin
Black Marsh
I would also like to join in. The character will be called Gorun and he will be a barbarian. Probably a berserker, not sure yet.
A girlfriend takes the most of my time these days, so I don’t think I have enough time for this.

However I feel I need to beat jiansonz in a single pass stile tournament one more time. ;-)

I will re-build my Orb Sorc. This time she will be prepared to meat Fire Immune Cold Immune. In honor to my beloved she will be called Elena. (I guess I would play more seriously when the real Elena go to St. Petersburg for studies at January.)

@AE. I thought skoolbus stole your idea of silent theme from Theme Tournament (in spite that you did not play much there).

Good luck to everyone! Keep looking for ID scrolls and self-repairing!

Elena The Sorceress. Level 1. Rogue’s Encampment
Warrior of Light said:
Elena The Sorceress. Level 1. Rogue's Encampment
[HIGHJACK]
Elena is the daughter of Lena in the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever (1st 3 books) and in the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant (last 3 books in the series). She eventually kills herself inadvertantly for the love of the Land & Covenant. She was the daughter of Covenenat raping Lena, which happened in the first book. I had a dog named after Lena. If you haven't read the books, I recommend them highly. My favorite series of books ever. Saltheart Foamfollower is it 👍
[/HIGHJACK]
I'm playing a LFzon, Storm. Currently level 12 having completed Cold Plains and sub areas. The lack of javs has forced me to use a bow for some time with no bow skills it doesn't kill fast but arrows are a lot more common than javs. Also I never realised how rare ID scrolls were before. There are so many items I want to collect but have left behind with no way of IDing them.

Code:
Alive Characters

Tres_Bonez         Paladin        Rogue Encampment /Norm         skoolbus
Zerga              Necromancer    Rogue Encampment /Normal       San
ChaoticSolitude    necro          rogue encampment /norm         dune6836
Kamaso             Assassin       Rouge Encampment / Normal      Bull(R)
Storm              Amazon         Cold Plains / Normal           Zatlaren
Dead Characters

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High