[2005] All Alone Tournament [by skoolbus]

Jan 3, 2007
DISCLAIMER: Please do NOT post in this thread yet. We still need to migrate all posts from the old thread on diabloii.net to this thread. If you want to help, feel free to do so :)

To migrate a post, use the "multi-quote" function in the original thread for all posts of one page, insert the quotes, then copy and paste the text into this thread and insert quotes from original posts (i.e. quoted quotes) manually. Take a look at the latest post in this thread to see how migrated posts should look like. Once all posts from this thread have been migrated, the disclaimer will be removed and the thread open to new posts.

This tournament has already ended. It was originally started by skoolbus on Jul 4, 2005. The last post was made Jan 10, 2006.
(link to original thread on diabloii.net)

All Alone Tournament Signup and Progress Thread

Now that many people, myself included, are out of the Melee Blues tourney and there aren't any others currently active, I'm going to host a new tourney. As the title suggests, your character won't be able to talk to many people.

-----Rules-----

1) HC only.
2) Any class. Any skill allowed.
3) Any item you find may be used.
4) Here's the tough part, you may never go to town unless it is essential for progressing in the game, AND you may only speak to those necessary people for the purpose of going on, not to buy anything, AND you may never use your stash.
5) You may only save & exit as soon as you get to a new act, when you must be in town to progress in the game anyway, or be at a wp and no monsters near/chasing you.
6) No re-running any area, though if you kill everything in the stony field and then find the wp and exit, next time you start you can kill stuff in the stony field, but may not pick up any items, use any shrines, etc.
7) No multiplayer allowed.
8) You do not need to get all the wps (as you cannot) nor complete all the quests.
9) You can mule off any items you want, but may not mule anything back on.
10) Winner will be whoever gets the furthest, if there is a tie then whoever has completed the most quests wins.
11) If you accidently break the rules, you are out. So if in the midst of killing duriel, you accidently make a tp and go into town, you are disqualified. If you ever find yourself with a merc, you are disqualified.
12) Any /players setting allowed.
13) You may start again one more time if you get disqualified or die within normal.

You may carry around tps and make town portals, but never go in them, in order to reroll ancients or because you think they look cool. Exceptions to this are when you must go to town, as in act 2. You mail wish to run around in the jail to find a tome of identity.
You also face a conundrum of whether to carry extra potions, khalim's brain, that rare scimitar, or the stormlash you found.

Enough rules, time for the prize! The prize will depend on where the winner dies.
normal - 100 sc hell meph runs
nightmare - 200 sc hell meph runs
hell - 400 sc hell meph runs

Also, I am thinking of a number. When you die, post how much gold you had and whoevers gold amount is closest to my number without going over will win 100 sc hell meph runs.

To sign up, just tell us what your character's name and build will be. As for a chart, we can start one when someone dies, because there isn't any score involved.

As for me, my char will be crazy_bonez the zeal/holy shock pally.

GOOD LUCK!

edit- Doh! Forgot to mention that you may start whenever. Tourney ends Dec 31st or when everyone registered is dead, or when there are no updates for three straight weeks.

Note: These are posts #2-20 from the original thread.

I will join, I won't make it far though I bet.

LoftyExpectation a blizzard sorceress, I bet I will have to put some points in mana this time.
So there is no repairing right? This ought to be fun. I'll edit this with my char/build when I decide on one for sure, need an hour or two to think about it.
Wizardhawk said:
So there is no repairing right? This ought to be fun. I'll edit this with my char/build when I decide on one for sure, need an hour or two to think about it.
You can use the cube recipe to repair.
Count Me and my new lightning Javazon, ShockinglyHott, in!
As I just started running meph again for this, I'm going to change the prizes to norm-100 nm-150 and hell-200. Sorry about this :( Do you guys want me to just pick up sets and uniques, or rares, or everything?
skoolbus said:
As I just started running meph again for this, I'm going to change the prizes to norm-100 nm-150 and hell-200. Sorry about this :( Do you guys want me to just pick up sets and uniques, or rares, or everything?
That is fine for prizes, and just uniques and elite/TC3 sets would be good for me.
hoidoimenoi said:
Count Me and my new lightning Javazon, ShockinglyHott, in!
She failed :( so now for my second and last char I will play a DT/TS Assassin
Hmm...looks like I've got my first tourney entry. This is brutal, but simple. I'll post the char in the next few days.

mv
I'm game. This will also be my first ever tourny because I usually find the restrictions too limiting but as this isn't far from how I usually play I reckon I can give this one a shot.

Peaches - Orb / Something else Sorc.

I'll start tonight and should be dead by the weekend.

Edit: I've thought of some things: Am I allowed to for instance clear the Den of Evil and then get the Scroll from the Tree of Infus (sp?) which I then have to see Akira for and pick up the skill point when she translates the scroll?
There is no requirement that you rescue Cain, so taking the scroll to Akara would disqualify you. Warriv is the only one you have to talk to in act I.

However, for example, you would have to talk to Drognan, Jheryn, and Meshif in act II (iirc) because otherwise you cannot get to act III. But since Anya and Nihlathak are side quests, you would not be allowed to talk to Malah in act V...

And so on. Near as I can figure.

This is an insidious little tourney which gets harder as you go. No scrolls of resistance, no skill point rewards, no runes or sockets in act V, no bonus life points potion. Luckily, no rings either. ;)

But you do get the hellforge drops.
Disco-neck Ted said:
There is no requirement that you rescue Cain, so taking the scroll to Akara would disqualify you. Warriv is the only one you have to talk to in act I.

However, for example, you would have to talk to Drognan, Jheryn, and Meshif in act II (iirc) because otherwise you cannot get to act III. But since Anya and Nihlathak are side quests, you would not be allowed to talk to Malah in act V...

And so on. Near as I can figure.

This is an insidious little tourney which gets harder as you go. No scrolls of resistance, no skill point rewards, no runes or sockets in act V, no bonus life points potion. Luckily, no rings either. ;)

But you do get the hellforge drops.
You hit the nail on the head. Hellforge is about the only useful quest you can complete.
Ah ha, you do get the two skill points from Tyrael though right? Kill Izual on your way down to hell and then you've got to see Tyrael to move on to Act V?
randy said:
Ah ha, you do get the two skill points from Tyrael though right? Kill Izual on your way down to hell and then you've got to see Tyrael to move on to Act V?
Nope, I think we're stuck running past izzy, cause he's not mandatory.
Wizardhawk said:
Nope, I think we're stuck running past izzy, cause he's not mandatory.
No, you can do any quest you want, as long as you dont break the rules to do it.
Good point about Izual. No reason not to get credit for that quest. I wasn't so much trying to be comprehensive as just help people to get the proper mindset.
skoolbus said:
No, you can do any quest you want, as long as you dont break the rules to do it.
Oh ok, so since Tyrael needs to be talked to anyways, any quest he gives is fair game. Sorry, I'm still not 100% clear on the rules yet (why i haven't started just yet, ;) ).
I have started, I decided to go with a hammerdin instead, I never started my blizz sorc. Keeping weapons is a *****. I have broken quite a few weapons, I had to go back to clear the evil den just because it was an easy place to fist, when i was already up to dark wood!! When i play next I think i might have to clear the cave in cold plains, and maybe buriel grounds because I only have a wand with about 5 durability and a dagger with 14, neither of those are good enough to kill in the dark woods.
Wizardhawk said:
Oh ok, so since Tyrael needs to be talked to anyways, any quest he gives is fair game. Sorry, I'm still not 100% clear on the rules yet (why i haven't started just yet, ;) ).
Since if you kill Izual and Diablo, when you go back to talk to Tyreal, he always rewards you first, sadly, you have no choice but to get those skill points :D

Here is a list of quests that CAN be completed under the rules:
Act 1: Countess, Andariel
Act 2: All but Radament (You may NOT go in the sewers, if you already have, thats fine, as it wasn't clear)
Act 3: Khalim's will, Mephisto
Act 4: ALL!!!
Act 5: Ancients, Baal

WPs that cannot be gotten:
Sewers level 2
Hall of Pain
FodderCannoned said:
I have started, I decided to go with a hammerdin instead, I never started my blizz sorc. Keeping weapons is a *****. I have broken quite a few weapons, I had to go back to clear the evil den just because it was an easy place to fist, when i was already up to dark wood!! When i play next I think i might have to clear the cave in cold plains, and maybe buriel grounds because I only have a wand with about 5 durability and a dagger with 14, neither of those are good enough to kill in the dark woods.
I had weapon problems alot early on too, now I've learned my lesson and keep a stash of them taking up about half of my inventory :rolleyes: My belt has been broken for ages now, but since I haven't found another that holds 12 potions, I lose out on 5 defense.

I got through act 1 with no problems, but I was sad because there was only one antidote potion for killing Andy. Act 2 brought a LOT of trouble. In Duriel's tomb, I ran out of potions and got trapped, so I started drinking all the rejuvs in my inventory. I barely made it out alive, so I put it on p1 and cleared out all of the false tombs to get more pots. While in there, I found a magic war sceptor, which I rerolled with chippies and got this.

Brutal War Scepter of Strength
'Ith'
One-Hand Damage: 14 to 43
Durability: 59 of 70
Required Strength: 55
Required Level: 24
Mace Class - Fast Attack Speed
Item Version: 1.10 Expansion
Item Level: 25
Fingerprint: 0x78eb2472
+2 to Strength
+48% Enhanced Damage
+18 to Maximum Damage
+1 to Holy Shock (Paladin Only)
+1 to Vengeance (Paladin Only)
+2 to Meditation (Paladin Only)
150% Damage to Undead
Socketed (2: 2 used)

I'm thinking that will be saved for bosses, as I used my 9 max jewel and ith rune and have no more useful socket fillers.

Don't have to worry about bosses anymore, I got surrounded by the champ pack of spiders in the spider cavern and bit the dust. Time to try again!

Code:
crazy_bonez         Paladin         Spider cavern/Norm           skoolbus

Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High