2 PC's Strategic MF'ing let's talk

killerxbabe

Nov 3, 2003
2 PC's Strategic MF'ing let's talk

I don't think I've seen this really discussed before but for those of us that are lucky enough to have 2 pc's and a broadband connection it opens up many interesting oppurtunities for magicfinding.

I'm still working on my necro I'm building from Xey's guide and a pure lightning javazon, with the thoughts that the necro can get to hell baal then the zon can finish everything off. Also working towards a hell meph sorc and a BO concentrate barb. Just wondering how many of ya'll out there have been doing this sort of thing and what strategies you've used. Or how it has worked out looting yourself when things go bad. Only had to loot myself once so far due to an FE lister in NM. But man is that a nice option.

Yes having access to more than one comp can be quite nice. In my case I have 3 that I can use :).

Some other things that work nice with multi comps is making a hork/bo barb for comp 2. Then your killer/mfer on the main comp does the work killing the monsters and then you bring down the horker to get that second drop potential. The hork barb can be completely geared toward mf at that point since he will not have to kill any thing any more.

Making an enchantress to use when you are lvling low lvl characters is also a good use of a second comp. Not to mention using it to drag along mules to get socket quests/soul stones. (yes a char in town gets baal credit so it can advance if there is a char down in the chamber that needs the quest.) I have a few lvl 1 Guardians to prove it works ;).

For self looting I feel it works best with 3 comps since then the char with loot does not need to be risked and it allows bringing in the character most suited to getting to the body. With 2 comps the best option for self looting is call in help if you need to be looted. (That is where being in a clan or having a group of online friends can be very helpful since you then have people to call on.)

One other nice thing that can be done with a multi comp set up is giving new chars all the wps that your older chars have :).

Multi comp set ups also make tasks like muling a lot easier. They can also be used as fillers to boost xp in a game with few people.

The new xp set up has almost killed the old time use of multi comps to allow easy leeching up of new chars or dueler/pks but there is still the benifit of being able to self rush and get quests with that type of setup. (and yes for those that thought rushing is dead that is wrong. Rushing still works it is just harder and not as benificial as it used to be)

Another use that not all think of is using a char that you don't plan to cow with to be a portal opener so you can make your primary cow killer a king killer. (just make sure you keep the char that you want to use as an opener in town when you kill the king for the first time.) (Yes the xp use of cows is not so good any more but it is still where you have to go if you want ck boots and it is still a good place to pick up charms and jewels and some items)

You can also use the extra comp to give wps that an older char has to a new character.

Yeah, I think the best idea would be to make a very strong sorc with the best items and then have a barbarian with max MF and a max MF merc and have him get the last hit. It would be time-consuming and kind of hard, but easy to get 1000+ MF.

Well, I have 2 comps, but only 1 copy of D2+LOD. I intend sometime soon to get another copy.

But in the meantime, I made an account with a BO barb. He maxed BO and all its synergies, something you would normally NEVER do. He can't kill a freaking thing basically (except with crushing blow). But its ok, I don't play him.

He's merely my lvl 31 BO barb. (looking for 2 more easy warcry points... he's only got +2 on ammy and one weapon with only +2 as well).

The bonus is he can open cows ALWAYS while the other character can kill the king, his BO lasts 10 mins, and his Battle command (+1 party skills) lasts about 8 minutes.

On the same acct, I made an enchantress (who has died 3 times ugh), but working on the 4th one I intend never to actually 'play' her, only to use her for +5000 fire damage for 15 minutes (or so). Of course I gotta find +fireskill stuff which is seems to be much harder to find than +warcry stuff.

Then, in about a month or so when I buy another copy of D2/LOD, I'll be able to use these characters to make my hell mf-ing a lot more safe. My main MF-er is a lvl 83 javazon with 1200 life. I'd feel a lot more comfortable in hell if she had 2800 life. :)

I didn't even think about the loot issue. I suppose either one of these could loot but not necessarily safely. It might be wise to bring in help as suggested by someone else.

My idea:
1st comp
Load main character.

2nd comp
Load Enchantress, cast enchant. Exit.
Load Barb, BO, wait in town with loot. That way if I had to enlist help for loot, he'd be available to BO the help when it arrived.
Also, as someone suggested, I suppose I could use this guy to hork bosses, but warcry gear is very different than MF gear, so it might become tedious to the point of not being worth it.

Yeah, I've used pretty much all those tricks your talking about and I love it. Just been thinking a lot lately about how i can build characters to compliment one another for 2 pc MFing. Hmmm.... third computer would be so much better.... MUWAHAHAHA... I find myself building characters more and more now to take advantage of all these interesting options. I mean who would max find item if not for this? Only problem is as i get to higher levels are start getting greedy and going faster and wind up dying. Getting better now about leveling up multiple characters and trying to put it all together, but it sure is fun to just go out and quest and goof off and whatnot. I also don't see how these sorcs go teleing around durance 2 or God forbid WS2 without getting killed, lol.

Guess i need to remake a sorc with max ES and Telekenisis to practice my teleing.

Also thinking a BO big MF horking barb and a hybridzon would rule for the pit.

killerxbabe said:
I also don't see how these sorcs go teleing around durance 2 or God forbid WS2 without getting killed, lol.
In the case of WS2, for the most part it's called maphack. Or tank sorc (ES+TK). Or both.

The tank build is pretty neat, SS+ES+TK and you can tank doll explosions ampped...not that you should try, since something might come from nowhere with mana burn o_O

Yeah, I BO my ghetto Sorc for NM meph runs (go ahead - laugh, it's deserved. She's wearing mostly crafted stuff and most of it suck) and leave with him. It's a good thing BO stays on so much longer in 1.10, or this would be harder to do.

Also, it's the closest I come to "cheating" in this game.

MoUsE_WiZ said:
In the case of WS2, for the most part it's called maphack. ...

I dont think so. My lvl 82 sorc teleports to durance 3 quite safely. All you need is enough fcr and no enemy is fast enough to hit you. If you now teleport near to the walls you wont get hit often.

And if she gets hit, she has 75% block and 1000 life. Thats enough to take some hits from monsters.

And no maphack or maxed ES + TK involved. Its like lvl 7 ES and lvl 7 TK. Just be fast enough. =)

And as for worldstone 2 ... i know people teleporting there with legit sorces quite safely too. Here its the same ... just be fast enough ...

BC

I always play with a character on my 2nd PC. Right now I'm concentrating on getting my lvl 82 Hammerdin up to where he can do Hell Baal runs. Getting really close, too. About to take on Hell Ancients. I keep my lvl 77 Conc Barb on the other computer, and use him for giving my Pal BC/BO/Shout. That has definitely save my Pal on more than one occasion. 3300 life sure beats the crap out of 1500, that's for sure. The boost to skills from BC is also very nice for a hammerdin.

I've done the thing of killing bosses with my Barb first before the hammerdin. He gets the quest credit but not the Pal. Then I start games with the Barb but kill the boss with the hammerdin. You can rinse and repeat that and get the first drop over and over. MF on the pal doesn't even matter this way, and it makes it a lot easier to make a safe build rather than a mf build for the pal, and he can still get awesome mf drops. I ran NM Baal and Hell Andy like that a LOT, and have accumulated a lot of nice gear as a result.

Heh haveing multiple D2's is great :), but I believe now 4 is the most you can have on the same IP? I used to be able to run 8+(although I have misplaced about 3 of my cdkeys and given about 4 to friends). But anyways it won't let me on with anymore than 4 now :(. O well those days in 1.09 of filling my own cow runs are over... It is still nice to give BO to my zealot and/or enchant if I am not to lazy. Also on the legit teleporting, my enchant sorc teleported to NM baals and Hell Baals every single run I did aslong as I had BO. Her gear is nothing spectacular either (although mostly naked now I kind stole some of her stuff for other chars), Ormus Robes +3 enchant, razorswitch with kuko on switch, Lore Mask, Chance guards, rare MF boots with rez, tals belt, ravenfrost, dwarf star, +1 sorc 25%mf ammy with rez all around 30%. As you can see I even had around 100% MF on and I did fine. After BO my life total would be around 3.5k and my mana around 1k. E-shield was lvl 5 base and TK was about lvl 14. It is very possible and easy to teleport with no maphack, shield, DR%. All you need is decent resists around 50 all should do and a little FCR.

I run with 2 computers all the time. I can run with 3 but most of the time I don't use the third one. Right now I'm running NM Baal with my Necro-Skellie and Druid-Wind.

My necro get's his skellies from pindle's buddies, my druid runs down to the throne, pops up a tp, down goes my necro and his minions. My druid just sits there providing Oak Sage. My necro has about 200 MF and gets all the kills.

Just like Zappa mentioned, my necro doesn't have the Baal quest yet, so I get first time drops everytime.

I've gotten some very nice drops this way :)

I'm currently building a MF sorc to do the same thing only to run NM Meph.

-moby

ZappaFan said:
I've done the thing of killing bosses with my Barb first before the hammerdin. He gets the quest credit but not the Pal. Then I start games with the Barb but kill the boss with the hammerdin. You can rinse and repeat that and get the first drop over and over. MF on the pal doesn't even matter this way, and it makes it a lot easier to make a safe build rather than a mf build for the pal, and he can still get awesome mf drops. I ran NM Baal and Hell Andy like that a LOT, and have accumulated a lot of nice gear as a result.

I'm going to try that whith a friend of mine when we reach baal on nm. He's got a meteor sorc and I've got a thrower barb. Is this what we should do?
1. I kill Baal to get the quest
2. I make the new games
3. When Baal is going to die I let the sorc get the kill
Thanks for the idea. :)

Mert1 said:
1 comp, 1 cd-key. When using loader its possible to have 4 chars from same cd-key and acc join.

Not possible it was pre 1.09b IRC useing the multi-client feature but after that it was patched and cannot be used anymore. You now need a seperate CD-key for each instance of D2.

ZappaFan said:
You can rinse and repeat that and get the first drop over and over.

Is this just urban legend or has someone actually verified that the game code calculation for first time boss drops works this way?

I've not verified anything form the code, but I've rather had the opposite experience with drops. My "first" drops are often POS and the subsequesnt are rarely worse. This is without any "tampering" like opening with a "have-quest" and killing with a "non-having".

My point: The so called greatness of "first kill" has yet to show up for me. Now, I'm not even close to have done this enough to provide any statistical grounds, but from what you read, the casual player might want to see some sort of difference...

bah, i've got more than enough computers and only 1 cdkey... must get another key, and do this stuff... time to go shopping :D

oh- one question- do i need different cd-keys for just LoD, or for both LoD and D2?

GrnEggsNHam said:
Not possible it was pre 1.09b IRC useing the multi-client feature but after that it was patched and cannot be used anymore. You now need a seperate CD-key for each instance of D2.

Sorry, but advise you to check yourself and only then make overconfident positive statements. Its still works and all I wrote here is from my personal experience

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High