1.13 RoF Superchest Patterns

Pb_pal1

Mar 7, 2004
Typically Lower Kurast (LK) is everybody’s first stop on the way to HR-city, with the end-goal usually being to outfit a Travincal running Barb to really go after those higher runes. LK, though potentially very lucrative, can “only” drop up to Ber. What if you’re looking for higher runes and don’t want to have to collect Sur/Ber runes just to cube them up higher? Enter the River of Flame.

As we know (or maybe you don’t!), the River of Flame (RoF) Superchests use the same drop mechanics as the LK chests, except they can (potentially) drop up to Cham instead of topping out at a Ber rune. These chests were run extensively pre-1.13, but had never really been looked at once 1.13 and its increased rune-drop rates showed up. It’s worth mentioning that nobody (that I know of) has yet confirmed an actual drop of Jah or Cham out of these chests, although it is widely believed that this is possible.

After a bit of a resurgence in interest, we’ve decided to make a dedicated thread to keep track of our progress, and compile all of the patterns from 1.13 for these chests (and hopefully score a Jah/Cham in the process!). I know what you’re thinking; “Why should we bother with this is LK is so proven in terms of runefinding efficiency?”

That’s a great question, let’s take a look at some of the reasons why you should try RoF runs:

• Potential to drop Jah and Cham – pretty self-explanatory.
  • The RoF is a level 85 area and there are almost always a nice assortment of boss-packs around, so you can combine some MF-ing with your rune-hunting to keep things fresh and maybe score some other good items that LK will not provide you.
  • No need to deal with running through Act III, or using WP-hopping to get back and forth between the acts.
  • The Superchests are quite easily rolled directly below the WP, which means it’s fairly easy to get the optimal layout without too much effort
  • Runs are much faster than LK (if you’re concentrating on runes only). This, however, is balanced out by the fact that there are only 2 chests here, rather than the 6 from LK.

Okay, now that you’re convinced, how do you go about running these chests? Here is a nice screenshot (thanks @Brak!) of the land formation you are looking for (take note of the location of the WP):

Screenshot259.jpg

It will always spawn 2 superchests (and sometimes some poppables). That’s it. Simple, right? Good, now you know all you need to know, so get running! The link above is a very good read, and should clear up anything else you’d like to know about these chests (it’s also where I shamelessly stole almost all of this information from!).

[highlight]Update Guidelines[/highlight]

1. Only update the table using runes Pul+. (Try to include screenshots in your post)
  2. Only update the table using runes from the superchests. (Feel free to post about runes from "poppables", but don't put them in the table)
  3. List all items in alphabetical order, otherwise we could have the same drop with the "+x others" being different items.
  4. Always use spaces, not tabs, when editing the table.
  5. Here's a small "how-to" for those confused on updating the table:
    1. Hit the "quote" button on the latest update (the last post with the updated tables).
    2. Copy the first line in the table you are updating, between the [b]...[/b] brackets (e.g. Rune Item #1 Item #2....).
    3. Paste it into a text editor, ensuring that you are set on a fixed-width font (e.g. Courier, Consolas, etc) -- Notepad is excellent for this.
    4. Insert your data into the text editor, without the url link, ensuring to align it correctly.
    5. Add the [url=http://path.com/to/image]...[/url] around your rune name (see the full table for an example).
    6. Copy and paste the line into the correct spot in the given table (it is ordered by rune worth, and then by # found).
    7. Ensure that there are no [QUOTE]...[/QUOTE] brackets around the tables before posting or others will not be able to update the tables.

Happy hunting everyone!

1.13 RoF Superchest Pattern Tables

[highlight]Players 1-2[/highlight]

Code:
Rune     Item #1          Item #2          Item #3          Item #4          Finder

[highlight]Players 3-4[/highlight]

Code:
Rune     Item #1          Item #2          Item #3          Item #4          Finder
Ohm #1   Balanced Axe     Balanced Knife   2-Handed Sword                    Brak

[highlight]Players 5-6[/highlight]

Code:

[highlight]Players 7-8[/highlight]

Code:
Gul #1   Diamond Bow      Dusk Shroud      Francisca                         Pb_pal
Sur #1   Edge Bow                                                            Pb_pal

Going by the code of last thread, did anyone actually find Jah/Cham? Didn't looked like it.

Nobody to my knowledge has confirmed a Jah or Cham from these chests (as mentioned in the original post). It's pretty widely believe that it's possible, so if someone does pop one they can make SPF history. Maybe I should have added that to the reasons to run ;).

@Pb_pal Thanks a lot for doing all the legwork!

Just in time for my last drop a Gul at P7
Screenshot262.jpg

Code:

Code:
Ohm #1   Balanced Axe     Balanced Knife   2-Handed Sword                    Brak

Code:

Code:
Gul #1   Diamond Bow      Dusk Shroud      Francisca                         Pb_pal
Gul #2   Gauntlets        Great Pilum      Truncheon                         Brak

Sur #1   Edge Bow                                                            Pb_pal

Will definitely be joining this research once I get a decent enough character.

Will definitely be joining this research once I get a decent enough character.

I'm in the process of leveling up a character to make a dedicated runner for this as well, in between running it. Run times can probably get obnoxiously low if you gear out properly.

Problem is I need a few more HRs to actually gear him before I can get more efficient at hunting HRs. :rolleyes:

Glad to have you join in the fun!

Seems a Light Sorc would be most effective as long as youve got Infinity already. Hammerdin with Enigma would also work out nicely.

But, I'm just teleporting for my life with my weak LK sorc. Seems all you need is to hit the 105 fcr breakpoint and you shouldn't die much. As long as I dont hit a large pile of spawners right on top of any runes I'm pretty good. I guess I could think about using some of those 117 stat points I haven't done anything with yet so I cant take four hits instead of three.

Seems a Light Sorc would be most effective as long as youve got Infinity already. Hammerdin with Enigma would also work out nicely.

But, I'm just teleporting for my life with my weak LK sorc. Seems all you need is to hit the 105 fcr breakpoint and you shouldn't die much. As long as I dont hit a large pile of spawners right on top of any runes I'm pretty good. I guess I could think about using some of those 117 stat points I haven't done anything with yet so I cant take four hits instead of three.

Yeah if you're going for kills as well, I don't see what could beat either a well equipped Lite sorc or Hammerdin. Hammerdin could just drop in the middle, throw some hammers and pop the chests as they do their work. Going for chest-only runs, maybe some sort of Singer variant with Enigma, as they can tele right onto the chests, howl everything away and collect the goodies (that's what I'm building right now, "just" waiting on an Enigma :p).

Either way, it's not hard to get a runner that's effective. Interesting to think about the possibilities though!

For the record, right now I'm using a seriously budgeted Assassin with a Harmony bow for quick run speed (As I mentioned, my SC wealth is quite low lol). CoS keeps everything under control in the chest area, and MB clears blocked chests. I'm not killing anything though, just going straight for the chests.

Finally someone picks up the torch! GG Pb_pal! I always wanted to do this but just don't have the time anymore, so I'm really curious what you guys (and gals) find out! I did some dozen runs in 1.13, but have to check my screenshots if I got a hit.

Note that there is the possibility of a 3rd chest spawning in the RoF, but it's on a different tile than the other 2 and I never managed to get a map where it was worth it to cover all the way to the 3rd chest instead of simply starting a new game...I still have the screenshot of the area of the 3rd chest somewhere. I'll post it if I manage to dig it up!

Good luck!

EDIT: I had the most success with a Hammerdin.

It’s worth mentioning that nobody (that I know of) has yet confirmed an actual drop of Jah or Cham out of these chests, although it is widely believed that this is possible.
Well jjscud did find multiple (read:two) Jah patterns in his 1.13a testings, but of course those numbers aren't useful anymore since droprates have changed since then. And, just so everyone is on the same page: it's 100% possible for Jah or Cham to be among the drops for these superchests - since they're spawnable by act 4 poppables - but we don't know if they are among the limited drops of the superchests or what players settings they might drop on, if any (it may be that both Jah and Cham drop on p1 and only on p1, or that Jah drops on p5 and Cham on p7 or that they just aren't among the patterns on any setting,) so if you want to run to help find the patterns, pick yourself a player's setting and stick to it.

Well jjscud did find multiple (read:two) Jah patterns in his 1.13a testings, but of course those numbers aren't useful anymore since droprates have changed since then. And, just so everyone is on the same page: it's 100% possible for Jah or Cham to be among the drops for these superchests - since they're spawnable by act 4 poppables - but we don't know if they are among the limited drops of the superchests or what players settings they might drop on, if any (it may be that both Jah and Cham drop on p1 and only on p1, or that Jah drops on p5 and Cham on p7 or that they just aren't among the patterns on any setting,) so if you want to run to help find the patterns, pick yourself a player's setting and stick to it.
If the distribution ends up similar to LK, we should expect about 2 or 3 Cham drops and about 8ish Jah patterns at P7
But Sur was such an outlier at LK, its hard to know
Also this is me making the assumption that top droppable runes for an area share the same odds in a Superchest

EDIT: I got bored while procrastinating today so I played around with numbers given existing information about 1.1 and 1.13b drop rates compiled by thousands and thousands of runs across the forum or jjscud's simulations.

The entirety of 1.1 LK superchest information was summarized by MuddyWaters
jjscud simulated all 1.13b superchests
jjscud simulated 1.1 RoF superchests
And the forum compiled the current patch LK patterns
*note that it appears people didn't bother completing P1 of LK because it was clear that diminishing returns came into play due to reduction of randomness in the rune drop odds. Table value is thus projected due to average diminishing returns of previous players settings.

I simply compiled a list of the various patterns. The percentages equal the % of Ber runes you would achieve if you ran every documented pattern across.

Code:
LK     1.1     1.13b     1.13c
P1     26%     70%       200%*
P3     181%    131%      350%
P5     29%     225%      669%
P7     159%    18%       1075%
total  395%    444%      2294%

Then plugged in the existing RoF data except using percentage of Cham Runes, and then ^projected out to what we could expect in 1.13c based on the proportions across and up the table being consistent with the LK data.

Code:
RoF     1.1     1.13b     1.13c^
P1      2%      2%        55%
P3      6%      99%       97%
P5      10%     4%        184%
P7      52%     57%       297%
total   70%     162%      633%

Last edited:
Adding Lo rune
Screenshot265.jpg

Code:

Code:

Code:

Code:
Gul #2   Gauntlets        Great Pilum      Truncheon                         Brak
Lo #1    War Staf                                                            Brak

@Brak - Interesting data there, thanks for doing that. Grats on the Lo!

Another 500 runs down for me, and another 2 new patterns (/p7):

Ist - run 381
Gul - run 460

One other thing I've noticed too is that these chests seem to drop more interesting items than LK chests. I've been seeing way more Monarchs and Phase Blades than I remember ever seeing in LK. Could be that I'm paying more attention now, or that my sample size is still low as well. Anyone else notice this?

Code:

Code:

Code:

Code:
Ist #1   Ancient Shield   Brandistock                                        Pb_pal
--
Gul #3   Double Axe       Flanged Mace     Grim Shield      3 others         Pb_pal
--
Lo #1    War Staf                                                            Brak
--

One other thing I've noticed too is that these chests seem to drop more interesting items than LK chests. I've been seeing way more Monarchs and Phase Blades than I remember ever seeing in LK. Could be that I'm paying more attention now, or that my sample size is still low as well. Anyone else notice this?
Probably just the better area level
my favorite drop pattern so far was simply:
Tiara
Tiara

with nothing else

I tried some runs! It was harder than expected to find a map, and the one I found almost always had 2+ boss packs in the area. It was just way too hard for my Sorc to handle. Do your maps have a lot of packs in them? Was wondering if I should hope for less monsters in a new map or not.

For me its totally different from one run to the next. Sometimes it's coated with monsters, sometimes its a ghost town. I've just learned to teleport in ways to move them about to be able to TK the chests (though Pit Lords' giant hit box is a pain in the ass). You can also hide behind the building structures on the edges of the peninsula.

My map very infrequently has boss packs on it though. Spawn density might have something to do with nearby features?

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High