It is announced THIS VERY MOMENT! Remake is coming!

Don't mind me asking, what's the deal with W3 Remaster? AFAIK, it works as a "patch" that was made compulsory and riddled the game with bugs?

Apparently it's so bad that it makes people skeptical of this D2 Remaster.

EDIT: dbrunski125's video on it basically says it's the old game running under a 3d rendering, so we should have our same ebug'd armor, qbugged andy, and 25fps based breakpoints, which I think is GREAT. I don't trust blizzard, or really anyone tbh to make changes. I just realllly like the game the way it is. So I always said I basically just wanted a frame interpolated and pixel smoothed remaster. Seems like this is just a more impressive version of that. Getting a bit pumped. No in-game microtransactions too. And ofc I hope there's offline SP. Not having that would be a major buzzkill.
My feelings exactly. I too watched dbrunski125's video, and it gave me at least faint hope that they didn't #$%& it up. I won't be an early adopter; there WILL be bugs, and I'm quite happy to let other people find them. But it does look very, very good to my jaded, cynical, pessimistic, curmudgeonly old eyes.

Reactions: Luhkoh
Hmm. Well put me down as pleasantly surprised. I was sure that this would be online only (i.e. user really has very little control over their gaming experience) but apparently not ... Everything seems promising ... Dare I get excited?

Reactions: Luhkoh
Well this is definitely a pleasant surprise. Not only that they are doing it, but also that video looks like they did a whole hell of a lot better job of it than the WC3 remaster. Assuming what we get is as it's advertised, this is going to be really awesome.

Don't mind me asking, what's the deal with W3 Remaster? AFAIK, it works as a "patch" that was made compulsory and riddled the game with bugs?

Apparently it's so bad that it makes people skeptical of this D2 Remaster.
"Bad" doesn't even begin to describe the total **** up that was. Not only was it riddled with bugs, but many features were removed and a lot of the improvements we were promised never made it into the finished product. The cutscenes in particular were pointed out as having been drastically dumbed down from what we were shown when they announced the remaster. And by "removed features", I don't mean they were left out of the remaster. I mean they went so far as to actually remove those features from the original version. The EULA was also altered so that Blizzard now owns absolutely everything you make, which is their way of avoiding another DotA.

So yeah, as amazing as Diablo 2 Resurrected looks right now, it's probably better to take a cautiously optimistic stance and not get too enthusiastic about it until we see what the final product looks like.

Last edited:
Reactions: saracen85
I'm watching the deep dive now and I'm definitely getting my hopes up. They're talking a lot about layering the art engine on top of the original game but keeping all of the data and timing and everything.

I'm still not ready to assume old saves will work there, but I think there is hope that it might be something we could have SP tournaments with people playing remastered and original together.

Maybe.

Last edited:
This looks a lot more promising than I was expecting. I thoroughly enjoyed watching the deep dive panel. I also would love to hope that some sort of character importing feature would be included for offline play, but even if not I still think I would give this a go.

Well now, mod support as well. Sure is sounding better and better. As long as they can hold to all these promises, this will be an easy home run for them.

The WC3 remastered was done in house with animation outsourced to China. The studio making this remaster has done the Crash Bandicoot Remaster and the Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1/2 one, both are highly regarded from my understanding, and recently merged with Blizzard?.

In the interview they referred to D2 as a classic car that you got to tune it up to make it road worthy, but you don't mess with the fuel line because even though it shouldn't need leaded gasoline, it still needs it.

It doesn't seem like they messed with anything game related to skills or items based on the few articles other than the few that had to change due to controllers. I already purchased it, though would have preferred a boxed copy (and will do so if they do as well).

I would like to see some new stuff, but I'm not sure that is in the current plans, but maybe depending on Alpha/Beta feedback and should be rather easy to add.

This looks a lot more promising than I was expecting. I thoroughly enjoyed watching the deep dive panel. I also would love to hope that some sort of character importing feature would be included for offline play, but even if not I still think I would give this a go.
I agree with this, I watched the deep dive and they completely sold me on this. Sure it can turn out badly in the end but I had $160 stored on my Bnet account forever with nothing to use it on besides waiting for D4. Visually I think they did a fantastic job with the game from what I had seen. Not to mention that the first few months of the game will be fun having that old Bnet experience back. The $50 for 2 months or more of that is worth it alone.

I'm pretty hyped. I'm not gonna jump on the pre-order train, but going to wait and see more of the actual gameplays and reviews later down the line.

But it might just be, what I needed to get back into this game again, and that has me super thrilled!

Holy moly! This is real! And right now, I am pretty hyped that they kept the game data as is and only upgraded the graphics - they even advertise a legacy perspective, where you can toggle the old graphics while running the game and then toggle back to 3D...

Only bad thing is: i5/Ryzen and 16 GB RAM recommended? Nvidia GTX 1060?

Minimum requirements:

Processor: Intel® Core i3-3250/AMD FX-4350
Video: Nvidia GTX 660/AMD Radeon HD 7850

Seems like my latptop will barely be able to handle it... (NVIDIA GForce GTX960M).

Maybe it is time that Grisu gets an upgrade!

Can someone explain what a renderer is? In laymens term
AFAIK, renderer is the thing that takes computer gibberish and shows you the images/videos.
EDIT: some more details (not an expert; so 🧂)
Mouse click -> Computer does computing -> Renderer -> Sorceress shooting out 30 charged bolts

I think... When you Right click somewhere on the screen...

-> computer knows the exact X,Y coordinates of the click
-> computer knows your character's X,Y coordinates
-> computer knows what skill you have active on your right
what level it is, what your character is, at what angle to cast the skill, etc etc
* but all of this data is just a list of names and numbers

The renderer is the thing that takes all of that information and actually shows you
a Sorceress casting a bunch charged bolts towards a group of Fallens to the top right of the character.
// END: EDIT

From what I can understand, the old game is still there, but they put on a pair of those red/blue 3D glasses on top the game to make it look better.

EDIT: just watched the talk with MrLlamaSC linked in the details page.
And I'm finding myself much less skeptical of the remaster than i was before; can't wait to give it a try! :D

Last edited:
I'm watching the deep dive now and I'm definitely getting my hopes up. They're talking a lot about layering the art engine on top of the original game but keeping all of the data and timing and everything.

I'm still not ready to assume old saves will work there, but I think there is hope that it might be something we could have SP tournaments with people playing remastered and original together.

Maybe.

This is basically where I am at now, despite my earlier scepticism. It looks fantastic, I was most worried they would water something down in the gameplay or make the inventory bigger - A seemingly small change with huge consequences.

I watched the rogue video from D4 after and was wondering if this remaster couldn't teach the D4 team something. I don't like the bright life bars over everything's heads, it detracts from the atmosphere.

Actually I am quite excited by the Switch version - Could be great for travelling, although I can't imagine entering a MFO and playing with a controller :)

Edit:
But looks like no Mac version :(
Blizzard always used to support the Mac, but looks like we get shafted again.

Last edited:
Reactions: pharphis
@maxicek
I think it's more Apple's fault than Blizzard. Moving to ARM basically revert compatibility back to pre-2006 times with the power pc era.

Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High