SPF Technical Support Thread

So, my entire gomule stash poofed. I open it, and there is nothing in it at all. I try to open in ATMA, and it is similarly empty. It is still the biggest d2x file of the few stashes I have in the folder. (I periodically move my pgems to a separate stash so I can keep a count of how many I have for trading purposes.)

Luckily, I have most everything backed up, so I'll just be missing some recent drops. But I wanted to ask if anyone had ever had this happen, and if so, what are the likely culprits? I don't want to make the same mistake again.

I'm thinking I'll uninstall GoMule, and open the back ups with a completely different stash.

Is there any way to bypass the "The item data in this file may be corrupt" warning in ATMA? I've used the 1.08 crafting system to make a pair of caster boots and the item works normally on the character, but ATMA throws a hissy fit when I try to open the character file. If I keep telling the warning not to load the file and try opening the character file again it usually opens without a problem. Sometimes it might take 3 or 4 attempts, but eventually the file opens and you are able to mule on or off the character without a problem - and that includes the item itself. Nothing about the character or any of the items is altered my doing this, so perhaps the fault lies solely in the part of ATMA that looks to corrupt files. Admittedly I've only checked this out with a single crafted item, but if a simple tweak to one of ATMAs subsidiary functions can allow the use of 1.07 runewords (use bad as they are) will improve the 1.07 experience greatly.

EDIT: I tried this with a 1.08 crafter ring, something that has always led to a problem in the past, and sure enough if you keep tell ATMA not to open the file when the error comes up, it will eventually open without a problem. All my 1.07 stuff is tucked safety away so I cannot try it to see whether this is just a 1.08 phenomenon or not.

Last edited:
Hmm, maybe so-- I'll give it a try when I get home. I hope that will work, but since the file originated in GoMule, and it is empty now in GoMule, I'm feeling not so optimistic about the whole thing...

Also I'm a bit pouty because I'm mysteriously missing a bit more than I thought, even on the backed up copy. I'm not really sure what is going on, but some jewels I had for quite a long time (and was about to socket into some items) are gone, and several back ups I had do the same thing when I try to load them--they are just empty.

I believe this is the right place to post this; apologies if it is not.

Basic Information
- Running Windows 8.1
- Running patch 1.13d
- Running latest ATMA/GoMule
- Diablo II is being run as administrator
- Diablo II is being run in Windows 98 / Windows Me compatibility mode

tl;dr
I can't get items to transfer from one character to another in either application. I also am unsure how to determine if GoMule/ATMA are being run as an administrator; clicking properties doesn't give me that option like it does when clicking my Diablo II shortcut's Properties. This is my last guess for a potential fix.

The Issue (more details in spoiler)
I've installed the latest versions of both ATMA and GoMule but I can't get items to transfer between characters in either of them. I'm running 1.13d. As far as I've seen, neither tool needs any of it's files in my Diablo II directory.

In both, I've opened a character (d2s file) and tried moving an item from one character to another open character. Everything seems to save and look ok in both ATMA and GoMule but the changes are not made in game. I'm not running Diablo II when I make/save these changes. I open it after the changes are made and nothing seems to happen.

I did have one successful transfer of a gem while testing it. However, it happened 30 minutes or so after I made the change/saved (again without having d2 open while doing it). The transfer happened correctly in game, but does not appear in ATMA or GoMule; the gem is in it's original place according to both.

I also don't have any of the items that are said to give ATMA issues sometimes either.

I'm also running D2 as administrator. The only thing I'm not sure of is if ATMA/GoMule are actually running as administrator. Clicking Properties on both applications doesn't give me a "Run this program as an administrator" option. The only change I can appear to make is making the folder not "read only". However, after I close window after making that change, if I click properties again on the folder of Atma/GoMule, it's back to read only.
This is the only thing I can think of for why my changes aren't applying when I transfer items.

Curious if anybody has troubleshooting steps I could take. I haven't been able to find a fix in any of the threads that I've found from searching.

Any and all help is appreciated :)

@Vigeous: Definitely sounds like Diablo 2 is installed to /Program Files and ATMA isn't running as Administrator. To double check that that is the case you can check in appdata (open any of the mydocuments, mycomputer, downloads, etc. type folders and type %appdata% in the bar at the top) to see if ATMA is listed and if it has files in the folder.

You should be able to set ATMA to run to administrator under the compatibility tab after right clicking on it, but if not you should be able to right-click on the application and select "Run as Administrator" from the menu.

I have no idea how to make any of the Java-based programs run as administrator (GoMule, runcounter, etc.) so the only solution I found was to install D2 directly to MyDocuments on my OS drive and then install ATMA, GoMule and the run counters in MyDocuments, as well. Since MyDocuments doesn't have the write protection that /ProgramFiles does, you don't even have to run anything as administrator.

I'm not certain what differences there are between Win 7 and Win 8.1, so maybe there are additional problems for you than what I have that I just don't know about, but maybe that helps. Also note that if you just want to install everything in MyDocuments you do have to re-install Diablo 2 there, as just copy+pasting it would not change the registry files and everything would still try to save to the originally installed location. (It's possible that you can change that by editing the registry files, but I have no idea how and I know where my discs are so I just didn't fool with it). I also have never used the "run in compatibility mode X" options before, so I have no idea if they're causing any extra grief/offer any superior solutions.

@maareek Thanks for your reply.

Typing %appdata% in the bar at the top doesn't show ATMA or GoMule in there anywhere that I can see. I also don't have a comparability tab when right clicking ATMA and going to Properties.

If I'm able to sort out this administrator situation with ATMA then I'll know for certain if it's ATMA or my Diablo II install. I originally install D2 to program files but later copy/pasted the folder to My Documents not knowing the permissions wouldn't change (in the way that you've explained).

I assume this means that I'll have to lose all character data for a fresh install since the save file would still be within the permissions it had when the files were created in Program Files?

You should be able to copy over save files just fine. Once you've installed in My Documents the game will be pointed at /My Documents/Diablo 2/Save so whatever files you put in there should work just fine. The problem with copy+pasting is the game is still pointed at /Program Files/Diablo 2/Save.

Alright, thanks maareek. I'll get around to reinstalling someday. I've just been tight on stash space on my main character so I wanted to try muling some stuff over. I'll post my results when i give it a shot.

I'm sure you may get this a lot, but I get an error in gomule on transferring a bow from my level 26 sorc to my level 1 amazon

View attachment 1974

I know you may get a lot of things like these but I'm at a loss of what may be causing it or a solution

So, my entire gomule stash poofed. I open it, and there is nothing in it at all. I try to open in ATMA, and it is similarly empty. It is still the biggest d2x file of the few stashes I have in the folder. (I periodically move my pgems to a separate stash so I can keep a count of how many I have for trading purposes.)

Luckily, I have most everything backed up, so I'll just be missing some recent drops. But I wanted to ask if anyone had ever had this happen, and if so, what are the likely culprits? I don't want to make the same mistake again.

I'm thinking I'll uninstall GoMule, and open the back ups with a completely different stash.
This happened again. Grrr. Any ideas?

I just opened the stash and it was empty.

Hey guys,

I'm getting an extremely frustrating issue, ever since I got TrenShadow's version switcher working to play 1.07 and 1.06b. I restarted my computer twice today (once before setting up 1.06b and once again tonight), and both times when I tried to boot the game, I get an error that says my DLLs are corrupted. I run the recover from crash thing in both versions, but then get the same error.

Then when I try to run 1.13, I get an error that says "please check that your expansion disk is in the drive". I have the disk, but it shouldn't matter because I downloaded everything from battle.net. I've reinstalled both times and everything worked again, but I don't want to reinstall every time I restart my computer :(

Any ideas?

iirc that's the same issue I had with trenshadow for 1.07 but I never resolved it and gave up :/

I recently did a Java update and all the .jar files (GoMule, Flavie, etc.) stopped working. As a part of the update I was asked whether I wanted to remove previous java files because they were potentially dangerous files (being out of date), so I told it to do so. I believe that's when the .jar files stopped working. What do I need to replace to get them up and running again?

EDIT: Java seems to be completely gone! That may explain why the jar files are not running. Which version of Java do I need to download?

Last edited:
I don't think it should matter what version of Java you run, I've always kept mine updated and it's worked fine.

Does anyone know what version 4 of Gomule is? It was done in August of 2013, with the previous version being from 2010. I didn't see a readme, and google searching didn't come up with any kind of announcement or notice. What are the changes?

I know a former member did make Gomule work with older versions, but it was never released to anyone. This wasn't that, was it?

I'm running GoMule 0.42. This include Randall's multi level search function.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High