Arrested Development Mafia Game Thread

I didn't assume that. I'm open to mafia kill both their partners and paired townies, and I expect a mix of the two. Going all-out in one way only makes it easier to find the scum a few days in when they're all paired with someone. I think you're looking at this from only one angle and not considering WIFOM even a little bit.

Mafia kill people they think are PRs, or are strong players on the right track. This is true in every game and I don't see why pairs of players are a greater worry to the mafia than a PR, strong player or confirmed townie. It DOES remove flexibility to have the goal of "only kill paired townies" for the first few days. It IS a subset of all possible choices so it is LESS choices.

Good to know what you would do as mafia. I'll keep an eye out for you and your partner in a few days when we'll have presumably claimed.

This was also discussed in the all SK game but keep in mind that within a few days mafia should have figured out most of the pairings if not all of them, anyway. The informed minority are usually able to pick these details up plus they should know of at least a few pairings. (if we assume mafia are ~30% of the players then they know from 30%-60% of the pairs at game start...)

I agree with most aspects of this post. The scum already know half the battle, so why shouldn't we? And eliminating "potential" mason pairs seems pretty ridiculous to me since as phar said, known power roles/strong leads are going to be more influential to their choices. And by the time we get around to claiming table partners, they will already know most of them anyway.

Oh ffs! I can't work the new multiquote!

I'll try again in a minute.

Heads up: had a 3am start, uncle taken into hospital this morning, just got home (11pm). Trying to catch up before the day ends and no I don't know when that is because I'm too knackered to work timezones.

Yeah, usual quality Thyiad-play.

I was actually just taken back by reading your post. I was like, this isn't Thyiad's game anymore, whats going on?!?

And then I was like. Oh, shes playing, no shit. Derp.

I feel like we're just saying the same arguments that came up last time we had random pairings. I don't remember what the end result of that discussion was though, since I largely ignored the QTs back then anyways.

Yep, we are, and we stalled, and then ended up claiming partners anyway. I think we are wasting our time here and should just claim and call it a day already so we can actually have solid information moving forward rather than scum trying to pull any funny shit.

I feel like we're just saying the same arguments that came up last time we had random pairings. I don't remember what the end result of that discussion was though, since I largely ignored the QTs back then anyways.
There is a lot of rehashing of old arguments.. but this only occurred before in one other game and we weren't all in that game, so I don't mind.

Bad Ash as first to mention multi-mafia, so my vote starts there. Unless it was Thyiad

Vote: Bad Ash
Vote 2: Thyiad

I think this logic is flawed from my reasoning above.

If there are 3 anti-town with 11 pro-town, that leaves 8 pro-town to form groups without anti-town members, or 4 groups.
Going off blind luck and in game hints and getting perfect results, anti-town has a 1*0.75*0.5*0.25 -> 9.375% chance to break everybody up in 4 days.

If we tell them the pairings, they have something approaching 100% chance barring other powers, or neutrals, etc.

Why is this a good idea?

There is a lot of rehashing of old arguments.. but this only occurred before in one other game and we weren't all in that game, so I don't mind.

Bad Ash as first to mention multi-mafia, so my vote starts there. Unless it was Thyiad

o_O real vote 2?

As the Bluth Family and Friends wandered the hotel, discovering fun little hijinks and plot-lines to explore, one thing stayed in each and everyone one of their minds...

"Where can a woman get a glass of vodka around here?" Lindsay Bluth yelled at the bar, hoping to get the attention of the cute bartender currently being berated by her mother, Lucille.

"It's so hard to find good help these days," Lucille complained, "first Lupé goes and gets murdered on me and now this incompetent boob doesn't know that vodka will go bad if you leave it for too long."

Narrarator: The hotel was in for a long and less than enjoyable Bluth stay.

Vote Count:

Drixx (1): thefranklin
Bad Ash (1): Pharphis

Last edited:
If there are 3 anti-town with 11 pro-town, that leaves 8 pro-town to form groups without anti-town members, or 4 groups.
Going off blind luck and in game hints and getting perfect results, anti-town has a 1*0.75*0.5*0.25 -> 9.375% chance to break everybody up in 4 days.

If we tell them the pairings, they have something approaching 100% chance barring other powers, or neutrals, etc.

Why is this a good idea?
lynches + mafia knowing lots already and being able to make educated guesses based on interactions between players
Don't forget that lynches have a reasonable chance of breaking up pairings, OR they make it easier for mafia to find the next pair, if that was their goal
o_O real vote 2?
I wish

Okay ... did the game seriously just spend an entire day talking about what to do about the private convos? Any publicly agreed strategy will be useless for the town since scum will by default know what is going on. Use or don't use the thing as you see fit. Mass claiming pairs sounds like the worst idea I've ever heard of.

Also, I tried to engage my partner in conversation, but the mod went and answered my question aimed at my partner. I had a clever plan to try and feel out my partner and BPC just had to step in and answer the question and rob me of my read. Gah!

Also... I think the implication, Pharphis, is that the game might as well start with your name in the dead list since you're likely to die quickly?

The game spent the first day talking about whether or not we should reveal partners, not what to do about the qt's. Very very different topics.

That sounds very un-Sathoris to me.

Scum already know which people they have an influence on from their pairings (or will know tonight when they have their chat). So from the start the town is at a disadvantage. For the first couple nights they will be able to kill whatever townie they don't have a seat with effectively breaking possible mason teams from the start.

Mason teams can only actually form by having confirmed town on both sides. Having both people in a pair be completely confirmed is likely only through investigation and if pairs are unknown how likely is that to happen before it becomes irrelevant?

I assume if we follow normal process that mass claim would happen somewhere around day 3 and the first couple night kills are usually pretty random, so regardless if we claimed table partners or not, they could break most possible mason situations with ease before then and we wouldn't even know it.

Therefore I am currently in favor of sharing table partners, if not today, then tomorrow.

If we share partners ever, I think the only appropriate time's to share are today or tomorrow, and only if it's universal. Otherwise we actually lose all the advantage gained by the mass claim. Scum partner shot tonight, and then tomorrow night, and then those two can claim to be partners in the future, and that play seems to be the only one us sharing partners prevents.

If there is a cop in this game, we're going to have pretty close to a mason team after tonight most likely(yes, yes, I know that it's not a mason pair unless mod confirmed on both sides, but just the potential ability of a cop to freely investigate while someone else takes the heat that comes from presenting results elevates the power level to that of a mason pairing imo)...or we could have a guilty result on scum, which is just as good. If both halves of a confirmed town pair become known, that confirmed pair is unlikely to last long, removing all the utility from said pair.

These arguments I'm hearing in favor of revealing partners all rely on the nebulous idea that town knowing who everyone is partnered with will in some way benefit town. I just don't see that benefit.

Also, the last time this mechanic was in play we were all serial killers. Our arguments were coming from a very different place. We were attempting to sound town, while only having our own interests in mind. With that said, I'm fairly certain most of us actually wanted all the pairs to be known, for the same reasons scum would like all pairs to be known. It levels the playing field information wise, and prevents lies, sure...but town can't leverage that information in any meaningful way(unless scum are simply terrible and kill in an extremely predictable fashion based on pairings) and scum CAN. Decreasing the overall gap in knowledge between both sides while being unable to take advantage of said information, while simultaneously increasing the utility of the scum team, simply seems terrible.

For engaging in the conversation about qt's, without actually giving an opinion on the only important part of said conversation.

Oh, and I think it's unlikely interactions between players will allow scum to know any more about pairings than they already do. They will know 2-3 of the 7 pairings, and that's that. They will either shoot randomly/based on normal priorities, or they will shoot to remove their partners, if that tactic is the one they feel is worthwhile.

lynches + mafia knowing lots already and being able to make educated guesses based on interactions between players
Don't forget that lynches have a reasonable chance of breaking up pairings, OR they make it easier for mafia to find the next pair, if that was their goal

and so... you want to make it easier for them to do this? o_O

My partner told me that s/he.is town. Therefore, I can only surmise that you want the name of a confirmed townie so that you can perform nefarious deeds upon them.

And you believe this claim? Is that pretty much a confirmed townie then? So amazing!!!

Numbers dishonestly analyzed my first post of the game. I questioned why we spent an entire day of the game talking about what to do about the private convos (which encompasses usage, claiming, etc...) and yet he tried to parse me into saying something I didn't.

This is an unusual logical mistake on his part, and I don't think it's a mistake. I think we've finally seen Scumbers make an appearance.

Also, a huge LOL at me getting voted for showing up to the game and commenting on the massive waste of time, but none of the people saying basically the same thing after me taking any heat whatsoever.

Vote: Numbers

Also, for the love of <insert acceptable object of affection here>, don't assume the scum will kill only people they know to be town/town paired. That kind of thinking is a trap that they could only hope and pray the town falls into. Do remember that the last (and only) time this mechanic was used, everyone in the mini-game was an SK, so the question of table partners and associated discussion that game was completely moot and irrelevant to this game.

Drixx: you got voted for not letting me in the clan. If that isn't a scum slip, I have no idea what is.

:)

Ignore lack of spelling and logic, phonestyle

We'll have to fix that as soon as possible! Also ... I totally can't stop it posting my signature so I guess I should de-lazify myself and actually put some useful links in that signature.

Unvote: Drixx
Vote: Pyro [\b]

I don't see how sharing partners does anything for the town. And you have pushed this twice in the last few posts.

Ignore lack of spelling and logic, phonestyle

I am more interested in seeing if peoples opinion on claims has changed from game to game.

When I am mafia, the one thing I fear more than anything else is a town mass claim especially Day 1. Thus it is interesting to examine who is opposed to mass claims. I am particularly interested in people who normally favour claiming, in this case not wanting to claim. Some people never want to claim (Noodle, Coju, Gory-2014 edition).

I am tossing up between Zokar and Drixx at this stage, but I need to reread the thread.

You do realize there is actual context behind what I said right? Or do you not care?

For engaging in the conversation about qt's, without actually giving an opinion on the only important part of said conversation.

So an opinion has to be blatantly stated for it to be shared? If you had to guess based off of my posts where I stand in revealing or not revealing QT partners what would you think the answer is? Cause, I'm pretty sure, you'd be right! Shocking I know.

Anyway, I am torn between voting. Not sure I'll be around rest of the day, but will try to re-download tapatalk since I still only have forum runner.

On the one hand I have my QT partner (hmm, where do I stand on naming them or not numbers?) who isn't interested in trying to leverage an aspect of the game that could be beneficial to the town, and this is why I think they are scum.

On the other hand is one of the worst reasoning votes of all time by phar who doesn't even know who said what made him vote and if he did he didn't even read what the point was in the first place.

Vote: pharphis

Let me show you how sharing partners will work out. My partner is Goryani. Who is your partner Zokar?

Bad Ash, why would you not talk in your QT? You can choose to ignore whatever your partner says (or share his posts in here and bring it to our attention why you dislike what he said. Is that allowed btw? To post QT contents..) and simply keep on talking to him.

Also why must we know that you won't be talking in your QT? Will you inform us if you change your mind and start posting in your QT again?

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High