X-men mafia game thread

Pharphis "How do you know everyone is a mutant?:
Interesting, if you got a mutant role, your antagonizing is either moot or purposeful. If you didn't, then it means your role states you're a human (or even an alien), which in context of this game, would mean that you're neutral.
[strike]
It boils down to the following: If your role states you are a mutant, then you know If you torching Drixx over this than it either means you got a human, or maybe even alien, role (which means in this game that you are neutral), or that you are purposefully trying to make Drixx look scum, which means most likely that you are.[/strike]

The part Val wanted Strike doesn't make much sense and it seems, to me, the he made him point in the sentence above it and just forgot to take out the second, redundant paragraph.

It kinda feels like you just saw him retract something and didn't even bother reading what he retracted.

Unvote: Zokar
Vote: Pharphis

....well played logoutzero. Just beat me. So I just did all the work with none of the benefit

There is a benefit to being the one that translated?

It matters because he was flip-flopping about what his ability did. He first said it blocked mutant powers, would *probably* be called jailkeeper, then later said it blocked all actions and still hasn't clarified.
The only reason he doesn't have my vote is because he claimed iceman and even if it's a fake-claim I think it's risky to claim at this point with potential name cops afoot

The only people that really care exactly how an ability works are those that are worried about being blocked. If you were anyone other than phart "lynched D1" phis i'd have voted for you by now.

Isn't that backwards? I always assume mafia get fake names until evidence points otherwise.

Really? I've not seen mafia get fake names in many games I've played (Dark Tower is the only one that comes to mind). I've always thought that an early name claim would screw mafia over in lore heavy games. The flip side being it identifies the potential power roles and mafia can easily dodge name claiming for a day or two (especially if glib "no-cliam" bucket is scum)

"you guys are doing a good job wasting the day talking about stuff for which there simply is not enough information available to come to any reliable conclusions. Pharphis and thefranklin both seem especially eager to try and make me seem like scum and while pharphis backed off the first time he was called on i the took the opportunity to resume as soon as thefranklin made a cryptic post suggesting that if one were frozen then being able to say hmm would make sense. Seems like a very sneaky way to try and get rid of a pr too."

I agree, though it is not necessarily a waste of time, it is very interesting to see who wants to discredit you and/or is fishing for more info.

How? I've tried everything and nothing adds up to something congruent. Tried binary, binary to hexa, even ascii. What did you find out, and how?

No, he isn't. I think it's morse. I will try one of the sentences.

"BRAVO"

There we go :)

For everyone, I'm using this picture from wikipedia to decode it.

Drixx, saw your "do not add to my posts" too late, and I got lazy about translating everything literally again, I hope nobody minds (I added punctuation, a couple of articles, and a pronoun). Also, don't worry about post length, I'm enjoying a lot translating it and I find it an incredibly cool mechanic for a mafia game.

#23: "S.O.S" (repeated three times).
#24: "I have been post restricted".
#29: "Yes, it is, and I have strong reason to believe Caluin Graye was either the target or the hitman last night".
#37: "I may only post the letters "H" and "M". I have asked the mods if I may vote".
#42: "S.O.S" (repeated three times).
#43: "No?"
#46: "Yes" (and then followed suit to Bichemist's petition).
#51: "Bravo".
#55: "Yes" (repeated three times).
#59: "I have reason to believe that Caluin Graye was either the hitman or the target".
#62: "This entire day".
#65: "Do not add to my posts, please".

That would have saved a lot of time.

Pharphis "How do you know that everyone's abilities are representative of their mutant power?:
If your role states that you're a mutant, then you already know your ability is directly linked to your mutation.

Interesting, if you got a mutant role, your antagonizing is either moot or purposeful. If you didn't, then it means your role states you're a human (or even an alien), which in context of this game, would mean that you're neutral.

It boils down to the following: If your role states you are a mutant, then you know If you torching Drixx over this than it either means you got a human, or maybe even alien, role (which means in this game that you are neutral), or that you are purposefully trying to make Drixx look scum, which means most likely that you are.

Pharphis "Give us your full ability name instead of what you suspect it would be called:
The way I see it, Drixx underestimated the other players' ability to decode his messages, and acted accordingly by sharing, what I believe to be, too much information and too much of a direct pointer. I think you are purposefully and desperately taking advantage of it in order to turn the tables on him.

Vote: Pharphis.

Drixx's Post #102:
"It is simply assumed that in this particular theme our abilities arise out of our mutant powers. Since the game was said to be role-heavy in the sign-up, and since this theme lends itself to us being mutants with mutant powers, I simply made a short statement earlier with a bit of roleplay I shall endeavor to avoid role-playing whilst using improvised Morse code in the future, simply to avoid giving anyone useless nits to pick."

Ugh, ignore the striked paragraph, I was supposed to edit that out but forgot. Lack of editing permission is destroying my brain right now.

Zokar's "Why are you so certain that humans and aliens are neutral?":
Good question. You see, in the X-men universe, the title mutant group have a varied amount of enemies, yet the number one nemesis has been for a long time Magneto, and his "Brotherhood of Mutants". There are several human and alien characters in the X-men comics (and sister publications like X-Force, Runaways, New Mutants, and so on), but in this game the roster would have to be huge for any of those characters to be part of the factions.

It is very likely that this game consists of two factions: the X-men, and Magneto's team. It's also likely that, like in most of mafia games, there are neutral roles, like Sublime, Bolivar Trask, Striker, etc. Yet, none of these enemies would suit nice for a role, since all them operated with a significant group of subordinates (Trask and his sentinels, Sublime and Weapon X projext, Striker and his fanatics) and none were inherently powerful on their own (like say, Tony Stark / Ironman, who had his suit to boost or replace his ordinary human abilities).

There could also be human allies aligned with the X-men team, like Moira McTaggert, but it is very unlikely she's in this game. Regarding the aliens, there are the Inhumans and the Shi'ar as possible factions, but the number of players is not high enough to include even the most basic composition of each of those.

Drixx's post #112:
"Earlier post got cut off, should have been as follows: I'm the Icemand and I was told my mutant power, my alignment and then my ability, which was a role and explanation and I was also given a flavor description of my ability... (the rest that follows is what both me and Bichemist already posted)".

Drixx's post #117:
"Easy way to translate my posts: copy into notepad, go to edit and do replace, replace with a period and a dash and then copy that into a translator. It should only take a few seconds to translate my posts then."
-----
Yes, but it still takes a bit to re-organize the words, since the translation from Morse-to-Text clumps all the words together in upper case.

Clarification: Sublime, Trask and Striker are all human foes of the X-men (and mutants in general). As a matter of fact, most of the humans and aliens that had a direct impact on the stories (that were not random characters or love interests), have been at some point or another antagonists to the heroes.

If there are human or alien roles in this mafia game, I'm absolutely sure they are not town-aligned nor beneficial to the town (with the exception of Moira McTaggert, and beware everyone... if someone claims to be her, the only chance is that she's the doctor, so if you have the doctor role and someone claims Moira, you'll know they are fooling us).

All of Val's posts so far, minus the first one, with the sloth pondering the opening chess moves, for reference.

Pharphis, this is now the third time I've posted, thankyouverymuch.

you even suggested who you might vote for on D1!

lol

@Drixx,
I want Val lynched atm. He made a lot of dangerous assumptions and apparently didn't mean to state any of them publicly

The only assumptions I see are human/alien type stuff, and the whole "Moira McTaggert can only be a doctor" thing.

Do you know something we don't?

Sometimes. Depends on the game. Depends on the mod.

Not really. It's a "plan for the worst, hope for the best" type thing.

So, we have a "Sometimes." and a "Not really. (common)" now. Anyone else care to give their opinion?

Is it likely, or how common is it, for mafia to be supplied fake claims? I have no input on the subject... I guess I really need to search out some old Mafia QTs to read how mafia are played, to learn some tells.

Ugh, ignore the striked paragraph, I was supposed to edit that out but forgot. Lack of editing permission is destroying my brain right now.

image.php

@Val,
I don't have to be non-mutant to question Drixx's assumption that there are only mutants in this game.
Why are you telling me what you think Drixx meant to do and not letting him give us his role name?
Your concluding proposition doesn't work because your assumptions don't make sense.

@Drixx,
that's a nice way of not telling us what your role name is, liar.

The part Val wanted Strike doesn't make much sense and it seems, to me, the he made him point in the sentence above it and just forgot to take out the second, redundant paragraph.

It kinda feels like you just saw him retract something and didn't even bother reading what he retracted.

Unvote: Zokar

Pharphis "How do you know that everyone's abilities are representative of their mutant power?:
If your role states that you're a mutant, then you already know your ability is directly linked to your mutation.

It boils down to the following: If your role states you are a mutant, then you know If you torching Drixx over this than it either means you got a human, or maybe even alien, role (which means in this game that you are neutral), or that you are purposefully trying to make Drixx look scum, which means most likely that you are.

Pharphis "Give us your full ability name instead of what you suspect it would be called:
The way I see it, Drixx underestimated the other players' ability to decode his messages, and acted accordingly by sharing, what I believe to be, too much information and too much of a direct pointer. I think you are purposefully and desperately taking advantage of it in order to turn the tables on him.

Vote: Pharphis.

Drixx's Post #102:
"It is simply assumed that in this particular theme our abilities arise out of our mutant powers. Since the game was said to be role-heavy in the sign-up, and since this theme lends itself to us being mutants with mutant powers, I simply made a short statement earlier with a bit of roleplay I shall endeavor to avoid role-playing whilst using improvised Morse code in the future, simply to avoid giving anyone useless nits to pick."

image.php

@Val,
I don't have to be non-mutant to question Drixx's assumption that there are only mutants in this game.
Why are you telling me what you think Drixx meant to do and not letting him give us his role name?
Your concluding proposition doesn't work because your assumptions don't make sense.

@Drixx,
that's a nice way of not telling us what your role name is, liar.

This was my response to the striked paragraph by Val, before realizing he wanted to strike it out. BPC you cut off Val's vote for me that his propositions had built up to. I simply stated it was faulty logic and so his reason for voting me was poor.

I've found him fishy because of his confidence in what faction each species would be (mutant, human, alien) and his attempt to make me look scummy for questioning Drixx. He speaks as though he knows i'm not a mutant since I questioned Drixx, but only mafia would have much of an inkling on the game setup at this point.

Read the bolded part above. I read what he said.

The vote 2 was a joke. I do this almost every game

I would say fake names given to scum is not the norm.

Last game gory asked for a sample town role pm. I would imagine scum did that this game, too.

Ignore lack of spelling and logic, phonestyle

@Gory:

I'm not saying I agree with you, but, isn't that EXACTLY what he accused me of doing last game?

Sorta not really. Drixx initially wanted to lynch thefranklin based on your faked listener claim/result. He changed opinions (several times) by the end of the day.

Last game gory asked for a sample town role pm. I would imagine scum did that this game, too.

Uhm, isn't trying to say what you think scum would do, the scummy thing to do? I remember getting nailed for that last game, as well.

Sorta not really. Drixx initially wanted to lynch thefranklin based on your faked listener claim/result. He changed opinions (several times) by the end of the day.

No, I think you remember it differently than I do. I'm almost certain I was accused of being scum, and playing the "dumb newbie drawing attention to myself so mafia could bus me" strategy. Except for the words "dumb newbie" and "bus" part, this is EXACTLY what Drixx is claiming NOBODY would EVER do. Yet, last game, he was adamant that it's a brilliant play, and he would expect nothing less from scum.

Uhm, isn't trying to say what you think scum would do, the scummy thing to do? I remember getting nailed for that last game, as well.

I'm not saying you are scum, so people, don't go there. You seem to be playing pretty similarly to last game, in which you were town. Not saying you are town either, just, saying.

Well that was a read, Drixx, I dont understand why you came out with your actions so quick, seems kinda like logout last game.

Pharphis, why do you always seem so scummy?

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High