Warhammer 40K Mafia Game Thread

I only reiterated what I said since Pyro asked about it.

I still don't understand why people are so accepting of Sathoris' ability to just ask for names (I can think of zero ways this would help town) and people is alright with it because, you know, Sathoris has dem special rights. Why are you alright with him having access to this kind of information, and also keeping it secret?

If he does indeed have some role that has given him info, and he is town, then it is up to him how and when to communicate that clearly. So far he has gone after Bad Ash for reasons I don't see in the thread and after you for what looked like, at the time he voted you, a day where you made two very noncontributing posts to make the minimum. You've certainly perked up now that folks are seriously considering voting you, but you seem to be trying to re-direct us to Sathoris.

The problem is that Sathoris is doing what he always does. Until we have some actual posts and explanation from him, it is equally likely, to me, that he could be mafia, town or neutral. His play does not seem to vary, and until he decides to explain the name thing or drops it and refuses to explain why he went down that path, him probing an a way I don't understand isn't a reason for me to vote him.

Him asking about names got me reading up on lore and I googled my own name. According to one source I'm a super famous good guy leader for the group our setting is focusing on. In another source, I was born into privilege but chose service but was ultimately corrupted and converted to chaos. In a third source, I'm just a grunt on a list of names. If I gave my name, people could conclude I'm a town power role, a neutral, or an agent of chaos or basically anything they want to suggest, depending on which source they link to.

So I'm a bit skeptical of the name thing in terms of looking up Warhammer lore because it seems likely that at least some names have conflicting stories or perhaps are used for different people. In the end, I've found the best thing to do with Sathoris is wait until he chooses to explain himself and then hope that either an investigative role clears or condemns him or hope that there is some slip. I don't think I've ever actually seen a legit slip. Some times when he was town I thought I saw a slip and went after him and ended up being wrong.

All of that to say I don't think voting Sathoris is the right move and you don't really seem to be defending yourself as much as you seem to be trying to deflect back upon the one who pointed out that you appeared to be trying to get through the day on very little contribution.

If he has access to extra information related to names for a town reason, then I'm perfectly fine with him keeping it a secret, although one might argue you are inferring he has a power role and pointing him out as a potential kill target from the way you phrased that. If he's a neutral, then probably we need to get rid of him. If he's scum, then of course we need to get rid of him ... but the problem is he hasn't even admitted to having any special access or information in the first place.

@Pyrotechnician - Yeah... I always find day 1 frustrating, but this one seems more slow and unproductive than usual. I have my vote on someone for probably the worst reason I ever put a vote on someone: he was lurky and when he got called on it he's expended considerable effort in OMGUS trying to redirect back to the person who pointed it out. Every single player in the game, regardless of alignment, might do that.

Honestly unless something surprising comes up in the next few hours, it seems like lynching someone Sathoris fingered and then evaluating why Sathoris is specifically asking for nameclaims is going to give the most information in the short and long run. Best case is we get a scum out of it.

Sometimes I hate the no-edit rule. I apologize for that wall of text. I wanted to preview it and try and slim it down some from me thinking through to the main ideas I am trying to convey. I really am working on the wall o' text thing guys. I know it sucks to read a bunch of them. /offtopic note off.

Does Sath always act thus?

The first game I ever played in, that I recall, with Sathoris was Gorny's NCIS game. I was the bumbling assistant to Ducky, and unbeknownst to me I was the backup doctor. Sathoris I think was town and decided I was scum and relentlessly hounded me (or at least that's how it felt... I was new to the community) to the point where I did something I will never do again. I intentionally suicided in hopes of giving the town a chance to kill a scum that day.

In live games that I grew up playing (and still occasionally play), a vanilla townie who is drawing suspicion will suicide (reveal their role card) out if it can help the town. I realized afterward from the response of the players and the dead thread that it was definitely not considered an acceptable move in forum mafia.

So yeah ... Sathoris tends to be a bit like a dog working a bone at times. When he's town, that's awesome. The problem is figuring out if he is or not.

What is Pyro lamping about again?

BTW, this will save some time. My Name is Mud

Cool video. Is that a legit name claim? I'm wary of the idea for the reasons I listed in my wall of text (conflicting lore info available for names) and because if there actually is something to it, if we nameclaim we could be giving the chaos folks a smaller list of people to go after for power roles. Until Sathoris is willing to explain what the nameclaim tells him (us?), I'll remain wary.

Drixx said:
I always find day 1 frustrating, but this one seems more slow and unproductive than usual.

I think it's the holiday weekend. I underestimated the impact a simple three-day weekend in the U.S. would make on the game. This one is on me, and I do apologize.

I'm still trying to decide what is the best course of action to take is. I've had a couple of suggestions, such as extending Day One out to Tuesday (but that's a six day Day Phase, which is looooooooong.)

For now, let's keep on course and work on the premise that the day will end in four hours, 20 minutes.

Phil is squirming pretty hard, and I'm liking the looks of a lynch on him. The omgus vote followed by explaining that he doesn't think he's scum is just too much. It's trying to get someone lynched but saving face for when they flip town.

I think numbers is also a good option, I think he's likely scum and if he does flip scum we have good info on lurkers to build on.

I get a good town feeling from Sath and don't see any reason to lynch him. His play is consistent with his previous town play.

My bolding:
If he does indeed have some role that has given him info, and he is town, then it is up to him how and when to communicate that clearly. So far he has gone after Bad Ash for reasons I don't see in the thread and after you for what looked like, at the time he voted you, a day where you made two very noncontributing posts to make the minimum. You've certainly perked up now that folks are seriously considering voting you, but you seem to be trying to re-direct us to Sathoris.

The problem is that Sathoris is doing what he always does. Until we have some actual posts and explanation from him, it is equally likely, to me, that he could be mafia, town or neutral. His play does not seem to vary, and until he decides to explain the name thing or drops it and refuses to explain why he went down that path, him probing an a way I don't understand isn't a reason for me to vote him.

Him asking about names got me reading up on lore and I googled my own name. According to one source I'm a super famous good guy leader for the group our setting is focusing on. In another source, I was born into privilege but chose service but was ultimately corrupted and converted to chaos. In a third source, I'm just a grunt on a list of names. If I gave my name, people could conclude I'm a town power role, a neutral, or an agent of chaos or basically anything they want to suggest, depending on which source they link to.

So I'm a bit skeptical of the name thing in terms of looking up Warhammer lore because it seems likely that at least some names have conflicting stories or perhaps are used for different people. In the end, I've found the best thing to do with Sathoris is wait until he chooses to explain himself and then hope that either an investigative role clears or condemns him or hope that there is some slip. I don't think I've ever actually seen a legit slip. Some times when he was town I thought I saw a slip and went after him and ended up being wrong.

All of that to say I don't think voting Sathoris is the right move and you don't really seem to be defending yourself as much as you seem to be trying to deflect back upon the one who pointed out that you appeared to be trying to get through the day on very little contribution.

If he has access to extra information related to names for a town reason, then I'm perfectly fine with him keeping it a secret, although one might argue you are inferring he has a power role and pointing him out as a potential kill target from the way you phrased that. If he's a neutral, then probably we need to get rid of him. If he's scum, then of course we need to get rid of him ... but the problem is he hasn't even admitted to having any special access or information in the first place.

@Pyrotechnician - Yeah... I always find day 1 frustrating, but this one seems more slow and unproductive than usual. I have my vote on someone for probably the worst reason I ever put a vote on someone: he was lurky and when he got called on it he's expended considerable effort in OMGUS trying to redirect back to the person who pointed it out. Every single player in the game, regardless of alignment, might do that.

Honestly unless something surprising comes up in the next few hours, it seems like lynching someone Sathoris fingered and then evaluating why Sathoris is specifically asking for nameclaims is going to give the most information in the short and long run. Best case is we get a scum out of it.
Suggesting a power role targets Sathoris. Not a good move, and it's possible Sathoris is god father.

Unvote: Gwaihir
Vote: Drixx

Phil is squirming pretty hard, and I'm liking the looks of a lynch on him. The omgus vote followed by explaining that he doesn't think he's scum is just too much. It's trying to get someone lynched but saving face for when they flip town.

I need lessons on how to distill my thoughts this well. It took me like 4 paragraphs to say what you just said in 3 short sentences.

I think numbers is also a good option, I think he's likely scum and if he does flip scum we have good info on lurkers to build on.

Fully admitting my bias here since he's a friend, but I don't see a case against him. He was asked a question to which any answer could be picked apart. I would have felt uncomfortable answering that question. I'm not defending him or anything, as I haven't got the foggiest notion one way or the other ... I just don't see the case.

I get a good town feeling from Sath and don't see any reason to lynch him. His play is consistent with his previous town play.

Isn't the problem that he plays very consistently no matter what his alignment is though? I swear I can never see any real change to his play and I've been in games with him as both town and scum, vanilla and power role. He seems to me to be the master at mafia poker face.

My bolding:

Suggesting a power role targets Sathoris. Not a good move, and it's possible Sathoris is god father.

Unvote: Gwaihir
Vote: Drixx

God no. I hope after my abysmal cop play in the last two times I've had the role that people would avoid any hint of a suggestion I make concerning investigating. The point I was driving at is that Sathoris is super hard to read since his play is very consistent and so unless we wind up with outside info or he chooses to explain himself, I'm not sure that I can really read him.

This is why I need less stream of consciousness posts. Way too easy for someone to snag something I'm thinking through and misconstrue it, intentional or not.

I need lessons on how to distill my thoughts this well. It took me like 4 paragraphs to say what you just said in 3 short sentences.

Fully admitting my bias here since he's a friend, but I don't see a case against him. He was asked a question to which any answer could be picked apart. I would have felt uncomfortable answering that question. I'm not defending him or anything, as I haven't got the foggiest notion one way or the other ... I just don't see the case.

Isn't the problem that he plays very consistently no matter what his alignment is though? I swear I can never see any real change to his play and I've been in games with him as both town and scum, vanilla and power role. He seems to me to be the master at mafia poker face.

It's not a great case, that why I haven't voted for him. They were though questions for sure. He skirted around some of my questions and ignored others though.

In actually can't remember the last time Sath was scum. So for now his play makes sense for what I've seen him do as town.

I think it's the holiday weekend. I underestimated the impact a simple three-day weekend in the U.S. would make on the game. This one is on me, and I do apologize.

I'm still trying to decide what is the best course of action to take is. I've had a couple of suggestions, such as extending Day One out to Tuesday (but that's a six day Day Phase, which is looooooooong.)

For now, let's keep on course and work on the premise that the day will end in four hours, 20 minutes.

Maybe extend the night phase an extra 24 hours? That way the next day would start on Tuesday and even if folks are traveling they should be able to participate in the 2nd half of that day phase. Don't beat yourself up too much over it ... I wouldn't have thought this holiday weekend would have a big impact either.

Unvote: Sathoris

OMGUS is really getting everyone's knockers in a knot...

This is just me, but I hate how people base their decisions on how people have played in the past. This is just a prime opportunity for a mafioso to continue his normal pattern as town and cruise on by because hey, that's normal town play right guys?

Unvote: Sathoris

OMGUS is really getting everyone's knockers in a knot...

This is just me, but I hate how people base their decisions on how people have played in the past. This is just a prime opportunity for a mafioso to continue his normal pattern as town and cruise on by because hey, that's normal town play right guys?

It really wasn't so much the OMGUS vote that made me vote you Phillinnicus. It was that you voted him while saying at the same time you didn't think he was mafia. Then you continued to try and re-direct votes on him. In your previous posts defending yourself you were pointing out that it was odd how Sathoris was asking for names and questioning why we accepted it, but now you take your vote off. You're coming across really wishy/washy here.

Voting for someone you think is not mafia is not good town play. Unless you want to get some sort of reaction out of that person, but you've not done that. I see no other candidates for a lynch today.

As for the day phase, end it when it's due and either extend the night phase and/or see if extending the next day phase. Having a long day phase when some people might be away is a bad thing. Imagine coming back from your short holiday and finding out you need to read 5-10 pages of mafia text and having to contribute as well.

When I say mafia, I specifically mean mafia. Generally I don't include other roles that would/could be anti-town, but that's what I think Sathoris is. The issue I'm having is why does Sathoris need/want to know this information? What possible roles that are pro-town would need this information? This is an honest question, I can't think of any off the top of my head. If there is a possible town role for the information he wants then I'd be more inclined to actually believe he is town. For now, I'll consider him anti-town.

"The reward for tolerance is treachery and betrayal."

----------------

Phillinnicus (2): Sathoris (208); Drixx (214)
Sathoris (1): [STRIKE]Bad Ash (156/213)[/STRIKE]; [STRIKE]Phillinicus (209/234)[/STRIKE]; Bad Ash (213)
Drixx (1): pharphis (229)
Bad Ash (0): [STRIKE]Sathoris (152/208)[/STRIKE]
Gwaihir (0): [STRIKE]pharphis (190/229)[/STRIKE]

Three hours, 40 minutes remain.

My understanding of Warhammer 40k is rather limited, but I'm not sure what significance character names could have in a game based on a tabletop war game. Tabletop war games are played with armies of un-named minatures, by and large, not named characters.

Perhaps Sath knows something I don't, but I really don't think it's likely to be a fruitful avenue of inquiry in this particular game.

Hmmm... a google search of my name turned up nothing. I wouldn't mind betting CG made them all up.

Anyway, time to vote so I can sleep (it's a ridiculous hour right now). The options appear to be Sath, Drixx, and Phil, though I think the evidence is incredibly scanty against any of them.

I'm going to Vote: Sathoris on the off chance he is fully cognisant (useless spell check is not cognisant of the word cognisant, by the by) that names mean nothing in this one, and is playing games hoping no-one realises. Not much to go on, but that's all I've got.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High