The Hole - Mini Mafia game

You say it yourself here, I'm being playful. This is Day 1 and no one has a clue about anything. I'm just trying to get some reactions, as it seem like you are as well. So far, I'm just kind of having fun with this. Classes just end for the term and I have way too much extra time on my hands.

I'm alwaaays over confident. To the extent of being a bit of a prick at times...okay maybe all the time. But I like hearing you talk about over confidence, especially with you coming right out of the gate on this game. The just of us in this one are pretty overconfident, especially with the fairly informal nature of this game.

A lot of us are saying we are past the joking phase of this game, I may have just extended, mine a bit, but really chances are, whomever we go after today is going to be a random guess and we'll all be crossing our fingers that it is scum. If we want to go the route of statistics on this one, there is a 2/9 chance that we lynch scum, assuming it's completely random.

I think we've got enough leads to not make a completely random lynch, but thanks for the stats.

My overconfidence is based on my gut. I'll trust it until it gets spilled. People post on D1, and I read people, there's no random lynch needed.

Dragon vote: Moar

Gwaihir is right, Day 1 (which is not followed by a night phase) is mostly fooling about and throwing votes all over the place to cause reactions, as there's nothing else to go by.

When does the shift to serious discussion normally occur? When should it occur?

I'd be willing to vote for kestegs. He's sort of... all over the place. I dislike the "I'll explain my vote" post almost 24 hours after he placed the vote, citing 'obvious scum is obvious'.

All over the place? kestegs seems pretty locked on target to me. Do you agree or disagree with BPC's characterization of kestegs' focus? Perhaps you meant something different.

Almost seems like it was a random vote that got a little bit of scrutiny, and now he's scrambling for a reason to justify the vote.

What scrutiny did kestegs receive as a result of his vote?

I disagree with the general statement as well. Scrambling would sound like "oh it was a random vote." Instead I see "vote stands" + "every post screams scum." A random vote really can't be scrutinized (it's random!) nor should it require any scrambling (it's random!).

Maybe I'll feel better when the reasoning is presented.

What about your own reads and reasons? Is BPC's reactions reasonable for someone receiving a random vote?

Drixx comes across as very Drixxy to me. Take that for what you will, but he's one of my very few exceptions to the 'scum defend themselves harder than town' rule.

In what way did Drixx defend himself?

A Haiku For Kestegs:

Hey, Stop Pretending;
You know you want it, Kestegs.
Take a chance on me ;)

All over the place? kestegs seems pretty locked on target to me. Do you agree or disagree with BPC's characterization of kestegs' focus? Perhaps you meant something different.

I didn't necessarily mean specifically his votes.

Second post, he claims VT for no real reason. I can't really see a town reason for doing this.

Less than two hours into the game, he's got an 'obvious scum' read on someone who's posted only once.

After Drixx being notified about no possibility of VI existing, with charts to show, he asks Bad Ash if he soft-claimed tracker. Granted, this could be him just joking around and I'm not seeing the humor tags due to poor HTML coding.

What scrutiny did kestegs receive as a result of his vote?

I disagree with the general statement as well. Scrambling would sound like "oh it was a random vote." Instead I see "vote stands" + "every post screams scum." A random vote really can't be scrutinized (it's random!) nor should it require any scrambling (it's random!).

This is all true, with another reading of the events. I think I may have been projecting some of my own preconceived notions, and simply assumed others had agreed with me. After all, if I'm seeing it, someone else must have too?

Is BPC's reactions reasonable for someone receiving a random vote?

Except it's not a random vote.

Generally, though - no. His reactions are defensive in nature, instead of aggressive. He OMGUS votes kestegs. He claims randomness the bane of Day 1 voting. However, I'm seeing this as new player actions, rather than scummy behaviour.

In what way did Drixx defend himself?

Did you miss the whole part where he reactive voted you and you two are having a discussion about who may or may not be scum between you?

Except it's not a random vote.

I was referring to your characterization of "Almost seems like it was a random vote." It looks like you thought kestegs vote was a random vote so you should have judged BPC's response to a random vote.

Generally, though - no. His reactions are defensive in nature, instead of aggressive. He OMGUS votes kestegs. He claims randomness the bane of Day 1 voting. However, I'm seeing this as new player actions, rather than scummy behaviour.

And here is the judgement.... and color me surprised. I would not have guessed you held that opinion based on your responses to kestegs and BPC. It's also quite the free pass given to someone in their third game (and has previously said he's played mafia before - though not forum mafia).

Did you miss the whole part where he reactive voted you and you two are having a discussion about who may or may not be scum between you?

I didn't miss it but neither would I call it defending himself. I saw offense.

Unvote: Drixx
Vote: BipolarChemist

I'm not sold on Drixx's towniness but it's been over half a day phase with no vote movement. His initial reaction still bugs me. His relative silence since post 58 compared to the high number of posts bugs me.

I'm not sold on Drixx's towniness but it's been over half a day phase with no vote movement. His initial reaction still bugs me. His relative silence since post 58 compared to the high number of posts bugs me.

I raid in World of Warcraft Tuesday - Thursdays and am the bank/mats/Assitant Raid Lead/Member Relations officer for my guild, so on Tuesdays I have to sort through all the mat contributions, get people's flasks and potions mailed out to them (after I get elixer and potion masters to make them), cook up greater feasts (we 25 man raid), organized the gbank, sell excess mats and buy what we need. Then we raid. Then I handle any performance or behavior issues (ARL/Member relations).

So on those days, I tend to be pretty tied up for late afternoon until bed. I've also been playing some D3 again recently and some SW:ToR.

I still feel that casting a quick vote on day one is a scum tell (in the games I've participated in it's almost always a scum who does it), but with votes all spread out we are not likely to get much of a lynch going.

Unvote: Goryani
Vote: Bipolar Chemist

Honestly if we're going to lynch somewhat blind, I'd prefer a lurker but for some reason we're giving them a pass today it seems.

Honestly if we're going to lynch somewhat blind, I'd prefer a lurker but for some reason we're giving them a pass today it seems.

It really is a blind lynch isn't it? It would totally make sense for me to be loud and out there is I were scum...right? I'd be for a lurker vote too. I haven't heard much of anything from the normally quite loud Bad Ash.

Unvote: Kestegs
Vote: Bad Ash

When does the shift to serious discussion normally occur? When should it occur?

It should never stop completely. At the end of the day this is a game and one must enjoy him/herself. But I guess shenanigans should dim down once there's a real subject with some facts that needs the attention.

It shall occur when the lord almighty ThunderCat says so!

*blush* Why am I being called "the lord almighty" ?

To me, that looks like you're trying to defend Drixx for some reason while also attempting to distance yourself from him. As we know that the only ties between two people at this point can only mean mafia, I'm not sure if you're trying to pull an obvious fast one and play it as WIFOM, or I'm being too paranoid.

Vote Tally:

Bad Ash (2): Gwaihir, BipolarChemist
BipolarChemist (3): kestegs, Goryani, Drixx

Trying to catch up before work while getting ready for work is a pain. Voting for BPC because of that one post I thought was off.

I will try to read a bit more at lunch, but this may be my last post before night fall.

It really is a blind lynch isn't it? It would totally make sense for me to be loud and out there is I were scum...right? I'd be for a lurker vote too. I haven't heard much of anything from the normally quite loud Bad Ash.

Not all scum lurk.

If you prefer a lurker, why not call out a lurker? Why not vote a lurker? Why give them a pass while lamenting they are given a pass? And most of all, why wait until someone was at Lock-2 (then Lock-1) to bring it up?

Dear kestegs, I spent hours on this poem for you.

I am not one to tell people how to play a game, but might be good to spend a bit more of that time scumhunting :crazyeyes:. Up to you though.

OT
I know a few hot blondes irl Sarah could be based on. :p But for a famous face, suffice to think of Hayden Panettiere as Sarah? :loving:/OT

OT
Wow, yeah. See now I can't even wish BA is gone. Even if he was, I would have real trouble approaching her, that is for sure.:yes:
/OT

Okay, here we go.....

It actually took me a while to remember what struck me about this post, but in think in can nail it down. You make a long fancy post that seems to be just funny any OT, yet it's not. You're trying to plant ideas in a low risk situation. If they stick you win, if they don't you deny it.

yea, very carefully crafted, as stated above.

Nervous? Can't just let the fact that I think you're scum go? Guilty conscience city, population: you.

Omgus vote at last! You thought that since nobody stood up and agreed with me you'd see if you could turn the takes on me. You also make very sure you explain your vote, as if you know it will need justification later on.

Nothing has made me happier in the past as mafia as seeing townies go at each other. Someone who is aligned as town has no reason to be happy about this.

Playful, I like it, but your overconfidence is disturbing.

See above.

Thanks for the answer, I was curious if you saw the same things I did. While the intro claim you made still bugs me, I agree with the OMGUS vote. The rest of it, I saw it as mostly fluff. At the beginning this is fine. But even since then he really has not had a serious post about much of anything. Feels kinda like squirming - like he knows you are right, and really can't come up with a great counter argument.

You say it yourself here, I'm being playful. This is Day 1 and no one has a clue about anything. I'm just trying to get some reactions, as it seem like you are as well. So far, I'm just kind of having fun with this. Classes just end for the term and I have way too much extra time on my hands.

I'm alwaaays over confident. To the extent of being a bit of a prick at times...okay maybe all the time. But I like hearing you talk about over confidence, especially with you coming right out of the gate on this game. The just of us in this one are pretty overconfident, especially with the fairly informal nature of this game.

A lot of us are saying we are past the joking phase of this game, I may have just extended, mine a bit, but really chances are, whomever we go after today is going to be a random guess and we'll all be crossing our fingers that it is scum. If we want to go the route of statistics on this one, there is a 2/9 chance that we lynch scum, assuming it's completely random.

Playful is fine, and yes we have little info. Also, can you assume that the lynch is completely random? Would we do just as well if we pulled a name out and lynched them?

Second game ever. As with last game, I am taking my notes and trying to make posts that someone wont read "scum" into. I see why last game's twilight was really good; it gave everyone something to talk about and work toward.

You were town last game correct?

So do you have any feelings about anyone, or are you still 100% for just a random lynch?

Trying to catch up before work while getting ready for work is a pain. Voting for BPC because of that one post I thought was off.

Which post, and why was it off?

Anyways, we are one away from lock/lynch. My vote would have been for BPC now, but more time is not a bad thing as I will be around. Just in case, it is time for the joke to go though.

Unvote: Bad Ash

Preview edit: I see 4 votes for BPC, and 5 locks I think. double checking that and day end now.

2) A person will be locked and lynched at end of the day if they have votes equaling more than half, rounded up, of the players still alive. The lock happens immediately, so vote carefully. (I.E., there is no "will be lynched, but not yet a lock" mechanic). If voting is a tie with no lynch+lock achieved, there will be a no-lynch.

More than half, 5 is both lynch and lock
day end at 21:00, in 6 hours.

Unvote: BipolarChemist

I saw the rule about lynches being lock only which puts him at Lock-1. My vote may go right back but I want more discussion.

At least you "open your eyes" to the blindness by doing something about it.

Why Bad Ash? Was it because he already has a vote? Were there other lurker candidates?

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High