OT: The SPF Cooks! (mnomnomnoms and yum)

Jan 29, 2009
I've seen a few mentions of a recipe sharing club of late, so let's go ahead and get cooking!

:pancake:

I'll start it off with two recipes in one.

(Note: I'll be using American units... apologies. teh Google is quite helpful at conversions. Should you post recipes of your own—and I very much hope you do—please feel free to use your preferred units of measure.)

[highlight]teh JayGun's internationally known pork tacos[/highlight]

(And per a suggestion on page 4 by omg, please start any recipes with prep time, cook time, and number of servings, like this)

prep time: 30 minutes
cook time: active: 30 minutes; waiting: 2-6 hours
serves: 8-10ish

Ingredients
  • 2 lbs. inexpensive Pork roast. Pay no more than $2 per pound.
  • 1 10oz. can Rotel Tomatoes (any variety)
  • 2 T Chili powder
  • 2 T Cumin
  • 1 T Garlic powder
  • 1 T Salt

Preparation
  1. Preheat oven to 300
  2. mix Rotel and spices together to form a sort of paste
  3. place Pork on foil and coat with Rotel/spice paste
  4. wrap foil around Pork, place on baking rack and into 300 degree oven
  5. bake Pork for 2 hours or so
  6. remove Pork from oven, unwrap, and shred with two forks
  7. develop a belief that the Pork is wildly overcooked when the meat appears tough and does not shred easily
  8. throw Pork (now in rough hunks) into a large pot and curse
  9. scrape Rotel/spice paste from foil into the pot: continue cursing
  10. cover the meat with water: still with the cursing
  11. simmer, covered, over medium low heat for 2 to 4 hours, stirring regularly, or until meat has completely disintegraged
  12. at various points you should be sure to check the meat, discover that it’s still tough, and mentally (or physically, at your discretion) batter yourself, curse, cry out to your god or whatever
  13. remove lid and cook for another hour or so until the liquid is mostly gone
  14. Serve with fresh Pico, or Guacamole, or whatever and some sort of tortilla or somesuch
  15. Take a bite and realize that your previous frustration and sense of failure was completely silly and spend part of dinner talking about what a jerk you are.

I made the above in large batches and ate it for dinner pretty much every night for about a year... and then I went vegetarian. As I type, my current version is currently in the last ~hour of simmering:

[highlight]teh JayGun's mnommy (refried) black bean (soup)[/highlight]

prep time: active: 30 minutes; passive: 8-14 hours+
cook time: active: 20 minutes; passive 3-4 hours
serves: (for nachos) 24; (as soup) n

Ingredients

• 2 lbs. raw black beans
  • 1/4 cup Chili powder
  • 1/4 cup+ Cumin
  • 1 large white or yellow onion, roughly chopped
  • 2-3 jalapeños, seeded or not, roughly chopped
  • Optional: 2 12oz. cans Rotel Tomatoes (diced tomatos with green chilies)

Preparation
  1. put raw beans in a large pot, add 12 cups of cold water (more or less), and leave to soak overnight
  2. drain beans, rinse, and return to pot. Add 12 cups Hot water, cover, and bring to a boil.
  3. as soon as the beans begin to boil, reduce heat, and begin to simmer (keep a slight bubbling going)
  4. add onion, jalapeño, and cumin
  5. continue simmering 2-3 hours, or until beans are mostly soft
  6. add Chili powder (and tomatoes, if you're using them), and cook for one more hour, or until beans are thoroughly cooked.
    • if using tomatoes, reduce heat to a gentle simmer: if you burn the tomatoes, the beans will taste of barbecue sauce: NASTY
At this point, you have a few options.

I drain the beans and reserve the liquid, grind the beans up in a food mill, add liquid back to make a smooth paste, and freeze in 4 portion batches (makes 24 meals). But it's pretty much a nice black bean soup at this point, and would be good with some sour cream, pico de gallo, shredded cheese, cilantro, and maybe some cornbread.

Alright...

Let the recipe sharing commence! :badteeth:

Last edited:
SunsetVista Chocolate Chip Cookies!

*Note: We often double the recipe to make enough cookies

Ingredients List for Single Batch:
1/3 Cup butter
1/3 Cup shortening
6oz chocolate chips (Nestle semi-sweet chocolate morsels)
1oz baker's chocolate
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 Cup sugar
1/2 Cup brown sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 3/4 Cup flour

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Crack the egg and whisk it for fluffiness. Combine butter, shortening, salt, baking soda, sugar, brown sugar, egg, and vanilla extract in mixing bowl. Mix until well blended. Melt the baker's chocolate 30 seconds at a time in a microwave. Add melted baker's chocolate and mix. Add flour a bit at a time and mix. Add chocolate chips gradually last, mixing until evenly dispersed. Form dough into ~1.5 inch balls and set on cookie sheets ~1 inch apart. Bake for 9 minutes. Enjoy.

Freddy's go-to sauce for everything (pretty basic wine reduction recipe):

A couple of dem red onions
A bit of dem mushrooms - yall's whatever preferred kind
Fry in butter!!! enough butter!
Add red wine. Enough red wine to get drunk
Boil
Boil
Boil until red wine is shrunken
Add some of dat cream. However much depends how strong yall wannit to be
Add some cow fond. Or veal or whatevs.
Boil some more
Add colouring
Serve with delicious meat. Uhm.

Freddy's "I'm broke 'cause it's the end of de month" dinner:
Buy some tuna.
Fry dat tuna in som olive oil.
Put lemons and tomatoes in fry pan.
Add pasta.
Add pepper.
There yo go, delicious dinner for <1$

[highlight]Hot chocolate of love[/highlight]

take:
-250 ml milk
-150 ml cream
- 75 g chocolate (bakers chocolate works fine - i ususally take 50g dark chocolate and 50g not so dark chocolate)
-one half or one complete dried fruit of vanilla or vanillasugar

complementary either combination of:
-chilipowder
-fresh mint or peppermint leaves
-cinnamon

put all in a pot an melt it on the lowest heat - don't cook it
stir well while heating
put sugar in it if you like it sweet
serve with a spoon of whipped cream if you really want to make an impression

Enjoy!

it is enough for two people and probably best for those winterdays when there is like 1m of snow in front of the door ;)

FoE - for the end of the month menu
can tuna or deep frozen tuna filets?

Last edited:
FoE - for the end of the month menu

can tuna or deep frozen tuna filets?

can tuna. and it doesn't need to be fried for more than a very short time.

I have to warn you. I take recipes as a guideline and mostly ignore them. I rather experiment on my own. The reason for that is probably that I eat very little meat and no onions (I don't mind the taste, just the consitency), so I need to change most recipies to reflect that.

Moar's Mettpfanne

Peparation time: As long as it takes you to cut up everything
Cooking time: 30 mins I guess. Fry meat and veggies till satisfied. Add canned tomatoes, simmer 10 min, add fresh tomatoes and give it another 5-10 mins.
Serves: 3-4. Depends on how much people eat. If people eat much, have a little bit more of everything in there.

Mixed minced meat to your taste (400g for 2 is adviced)
Red and yellow peppers to your taste (1 each workes for me)
Squash to your taste (1 use one normal size)
2-4 tomatoes
1-2 box(es) of canned tomatoe (in pieces)
2-3 shallot onions (thanks Thy!)
Garlic to taste
Season with salt, pepper, thyme, provence herbs and whatever else you think will fit. (Don't use chili or ginger, it ruins the taste, I tried.)

Fry up the meat, onion, garlic, add vedgetables in order, then boxed tomatoes. Let simmer for about 10 min. Add tomatoes and give it another 5-10 min. Season. Done.

Serve with rice or fresh baguette and a bottle of good white wine.

Last edited:
I can't cook; I don't burn water, I set fire to it but even I can do these:

[highlight]Idiot proof softish cookies[/highlight]

Cooking time: 15-17 mn
Preparation time: 10 min
Servings: Not enough

Cream together:
170g melted butter
220g demerera sugar (brown sugar)
100g white sugar
Two eggs
Two tablespoons (min) of Nutella

Once the above is nicely mixed add:
250g plain flour
2g baking soda
3g salt

Mix that lot well and then stick spoonfuls onto a baking tray; make sure they're not too thick about 1/4-1/2" an inch max. They'll spread like crazy, so leave space between them unless you want one big cookie.

Oven for about 17 mins at 165 degrees C.

Take them out and let them cool.

Eat.

Make more.

=====

@ Moar - shallot onions. You were close.

Last edited:
I love shelled onions!

[highlight]Nutella[/highlight]
/homer j simpson.

ok trying those tacos right now

step one preparing the rotel because you can'T buy that here - started cursing

step two - check recipe and wonder why 300° seems hot

step three - checking oven realising that it can go max up to 250°

step four - wondering if the recipe meant fahrenheit instead of celsius like first thougt

step five- put the pork in the oven with 150°C (about 300° Fahrenheit)

step six - post on the forum while waiting for the meat

well hope its going ok - its gonna be a rather late dinner - its almost 6pm here so no food before 10 or so i think - well the guests are invited for 9 - might have to entertain them until its done - dont know how to do that

I suggest teaching them "Pindle running".

well with only one mac book that might get complicated - and i think most of them never heard of D2 (yeah i know they are sinners)

still having perfected running pindle with a fishymancer over the last week - i might just do that - or a stripdance while cooking - whatever seems to mesmerize them more

@Teach: yep... all my measurements are in silly american units.

And Rotel is just diced tomatoes with green chilis. You can fake it with a can of diced tomatoes and a diced and seeded jalapeno or two. Or just use diced tomatoes. You could probably also get away with just using the spices, but I don't know.

I hope it turns out well for you and your guests!

You could serve some chips and salsa... lots of booze always seems to help too.

Baron's stupid sauce

I'll post more elaborate recipes here when I have time too. For now, I want to share this sauce I discovered by accident:

- 1 part of mayonnaise
- ~3/4 part of german mustard (the stronger it is, the less you put in)
- dried oregano as you wish (a tsp per part of mayo)

How to:

Mix them. Yes. It's stupid as it sounds, however it's awesome. Mayo goes first, mustard later and them the oregano.

When using dried oregano, remember what Jamie Oliver says: squish, friction, squeeze them on your fingers. That way, you will notice an awesome scent and oregano will do its thing. If you plan to learn anything after reading this, learn how to use oregano like Jamie Oliver.

I developed this "rocket science" because german mustard is a little too bitter on large quantities. Mayo makes it more versatile and oregano makes it look and taste fancy.

That's not a recipe...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Baron's Hell Hounds

(Aka Hot Dog) You liked the previous recipe, but it lacks adventure?

Sauce:

- 1 part of mayonnaise
- ~3/4 part of german mustard (the stronger it is, the less you put)
- 1/4 part of grated cheese (parmesan, but see bellow)
- dried oregano as you wish (a coffee spoon per part of mayo)
- chopped onion (not much, a few rings or a TSP per part of mayo)

Base:

- hot-dog sausage (~2 per part of mayo)
- italian bread (~2 slices per part of mayo)

Making the sauce:

Mix the above, using the mentioned oregano trick. It would be nice if you could mix everything on a food processor, to make the cheese works and looks better on the recipe (instead of a bunch of mayo with pieces of cheese). If you are using onion rings stolen from GF/wife salad, foor processor is a must.

Talking about the cheese, the suggested amount takes in consideration cheap parmesan cheese. If you get a strong and fancy Parmigano-Reggiano cheese or a Argentinian Parmesan cheese with black wrap, use less.

You can add a tsp or two of gorgonzola cheese and earn some serious style points.

Making the whole thing work:

Get hot-dog sausage (2-3 for each part of mayo). If you plan to use german sausage or any strong sausage, use more mayo, since it can get too bitter too soon (depending on the cheeses used).

You can throw then on hot water for a while and boild them a little bit. If you didn't used the food processor to make the sauce and really don't want trouble, radiation is the futuer and the microwave oven is your friend. 20 seconds there or something. One should know his/hers microwave oven. If you choose the micro-way (bad pun...), cut the sausages in half to avoid the usual explosions.

You can cut the sausage in tiny pieces and dip in the sauces or serve them in a hot-dog-ish way. I recomend italian bread, since italian bread = respect. Cut 2 sausages in half and drop them on the bread, them put a good amount of sauce on the sausages and close the bread. (Or you can just use the sauce like butter on 2 slices of italian bread an put the splitted sausages between them afterwards).

well i faked the rotel by using fresh tomatoes - chopping them in quartes- put two red chilis to it - some spices and then mixed it until it as a sort of past - smelled yummy - was rather spicy - but i like ^^
soon it is going out of the oven and into the pot

How did the taco meat taste?

Here's a superyummie chicken curry: NOTE: for 2 people

Cooking time: 40 mn
Preparation time: 20 min
Servings: 2

300 gram chicken breast
1 onion
2 pieces of garlic
1 tablespoon sambal oelek (or whatever you use to get the chiliheat)
2 cm fresh ginger
1 cube chicken stock (in Sweden we have alot of these stocks in cube shape. Is stated to give 5 dl stock)
1 can (400g) diced tomatoes
juice from 0,5 lemon
oil
0,5 tablespoon curry powder
1 teaspoon cinnemon
yoghurt for the serving

Mix the onion, garlic, chili and ginger into a smooth paste. Heat up oil and fry about a minute. Then add the curry and cinnemon powder and fry for anoter minute. Then add the other stuff. Let simmer for about 40 min.

Serve with basmati rice and yoghurt.

Edit: added info on ooking tome etc

Last edited:
Brennan's Fancy Sauce:
1/2 Ketchup
1/2 Mayonaisse

Goes well with chicken nuggets.

/step brothers

Do you like veggie burgers? Then why on earth are you buying those frozen nasty hockey pucks from the market? When you can make awesome tasting ones yourself for DIRT CHEAP. Better yet, this recipe is super quick and easy and healthy.

Veggie Burger of Awesomeness.

Ingredients:
2 Cans of black beans Drained, Rinsed, and then patted dry with a paper towel.
~1 Cup of good quality bread crumbs (although panko bread crumbs are really popular they just don't hold things together nicely here, the finer the breadcrumb the better)
1 Red Pepper Diced.
1 Medium Onion Diced.
1 Large egg (or 2 small eggs)
Some cumin, cayenne pepper, Salt and peper.
Hot Sauce to taste (if you don't like hot, you can use BBQ sauce)

Directions:

1)Take your drained and rinsed Beans and put them in a large bowl. Get a hammer, the back of a large sturdy spoon, or be a man and used your fists to mash the beans until they are kind of paste like.

2) Add in all other ingredients.

3) Combine everything with your hands.

4) Take a handful of mixture at a time and form into patties. I like to try and make them thin for more servings, and for faster cooking.

5) You can grill them but I honestly like them better cooked in a pan with a generous coating of oil. Cook until the inside is hot, about 3-5 min on each side over medium high heat.

Serving Directions:
I like to serve with a bun with lettuce, tomato, red onion, pickles and mustard (ketchup if you used BBQ). However they are awesome without a bun too. Just put a pattie on a plate and add more hot sauce.

BONUS:
The left overs are awesome in the morning with a fried egg cooked over easy served right on top. With more hot sauce of course.

@Smancer: Thanks so much for this one! I've yet to find a tasty hockey puck that doesn't leave me feeling dirty and give me heartburn, and I will be trying these this weekend, for sure.

hmmm those burgers sound nice - i will try those as well

oh and the taco meat was awesome
i had to reduce the simmering time by quite a bit but i think i will try it again and the meat is going to be even better^^
- i just discovered that i don't like tacos - so next time in a wrap or just with a little bread like i am going to eat the leftover right now (1,5kg for 4 persons was a little - much)

hmm i might put in a recipe as well - i do have some i like ...

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High