Blade Fury Analysis

Re: Blade Fury Analysis

It says LW is good, but not as good as Fury.

The merc can certainly survive with life tap, but he shouldn't have trouble staying alive vs most monsters (bosses excluded).

I don't know exact figures, but it's probably roughly the same in terms of AR.

Necromancy time again, wouldn't Famine be a better option than Fury? I lacks the 33% DS, but has higher %ED , higher LL, can be made on a higher base dmg weapon, and useful elemental dmg.

No. Claws are needed to hit the highest damage.

Yup, my Edeathz has double the damage of my Efury scissors, yet they seem to do the exact same damage.

I have no idea why claw mastery has such a big impact, or Bfury gets some damage buff when used with claws or something.

The + damage from the skill is boosted by CM, and you have the added DS from it. You lose the mastery when using axes, swords, etc.

How would 100% damage from claw mastery calculate from BF that does, say 150 max?

That +~150 is multiplied by all ED%. You add CM's ED% to the rest of off-gear ED%. CM gets up to about 130% at roughly the level BF gets 150.

Other sources like fort, might aura, etc make the 130 seem small, but it'll be a huge impact if it's between CM's ED and not.

Here's my retake on this build using a high end setup as possible on bnet. This char resides on HCL East and I use it for PVM only. I cant attest to the build for pvp, but with pvm she's a incredible machine. Monsters just melt and then DS does the rest.

screenie of my shecksi lady ;
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u131/Master_Zappy/Screenshot492.jpg

She's packing 100% crushing blow (every blade !) , 93% deadly strike with a little bit of OW and Venom sprinkled in.

To solve ar issues and to up my DS damage I simly went with an infinnity (might)merc. -83% enemy defense while already having decent ar leaves me with what feels like ~90/95% chance to hit. These blades seem to always connect.

Skillset (bunch of free points)
20 Blade Fury
20 Venom
20 Death Sentry
20 Shadow Master
4 kick dtalon with items (pretty much just use on end bosses)
1 in cos, blade shield, dflight and other pre reqs
runs Fade as her aura.

Hat: Gface w/ 40%ed 15 ias jewel
Armor: Fort Boneweave
shield: Lanceguard with 40% ed jewel
Wep; Death BA
belt; Tgods
boots: Gores
gloves: Trangs (boosts venom damage)
ammy; Metalgrid (lots of ar, hunk-o-res)
ring1; ravenfrost
ring2 ; Dwarfstar
switch shield; Spirit monarch
switch wep; CTA military pick

Merc; nm offensive
Andy's hat
Treachery
Infinnity eth CA

charms; Random life/ar ones. Has a couple Skillers, torch and anni.

Very safe char with its ranged and fabulous damage. Has stacked res and sorb all elemental damages. I was surprised at how effective blade fury was when you build around it.

Thanks again for this great thread.

Great build how do you archive 22k defense in this picture? Im curious..

I know you cant pvp with BFsin but if I put on Um'd Flashripper and Hsarus' Iron Belt+Boots/Cleglaws Gloves+Shield and Angelics combo , ill have 45% Slowtarget, 75% OW, KB and with Venom could be funny as hell the question is if with Cleglaws+Angelics+Hsarus Ill be able to hit targets with that AR maybe a Visionary circle too?

Last edited:

We don't know the teammate and his merc, but I can at least see chilling triggered from Fort and what must be a stacked Defiance Aura from some source (exile, Merc, player, we can't tell). Also, no telling if Cloak was active since I see no monsters.

With all that, topping at a good 22K would be probable.

Hmm, there was mentioned dmg eith chaos Suwayyah. Is that with one claw, or dual wield? Cuz when it was with one claw, then doesnt dual chaos Suwayyah dmg more than death ettin axe?

Only one claw will be taken into account. If the second has +Blade Fury, that'd be great, but the Chaos mods won't also apply.
Code:
Death Ettin Axe            Ethereal          1137       155/105
Choas Suwayyah             Ethereal          1115       165/105 (weapon)

How would a giant skull work instead of gullies? Perhaps with 2xed jewels? Let me know what you think.

+250-320 Defense
10% Chance Of Crushing Blow
Knockback
+25-35 to Strength
Socketed (1-2)

Cheers Svalin :)

(Hmm -25% crushingblow is a big hit maybe, but the knockback is nice... been looking for a character to use this on since I found one 2socks +35 str)

How would a giant skull work instead of gullies? Perhaps with 2xed jewels? Let me know what you think.

+250-320 Defense
10% Chance Of Crushing Blow
Knockback
+25-35 to Strength
Socketed (1-2)

Cheers Svalin :)

(Hmm -25% crushingblow is a big hit maybe, but the knockback is nice... been looking for a character to use this on since I found one 2socks +35 str)

Another question:

How would a +3 traps +3BF claw in offhand compare to a 160%ed monarch?

Update:
  • Corrected error with mercenary Might aura lvl and adjusted related damage calculations
  • Added more Venom information
  • Added information about dual-wielding claws
  • Added link to Damage Calculator*
  • Added comment about Phoenix shield
  • Added additional example setup
  • Wording changes

*Using this calculator in IE may cause your computer to explode.

To answer some of the questions that have been asked throughout the last few pages:

Anyone considered the time it takes a blade to reach target when using Phoenix
Fair point. Added a paragraph about this in the Shields section.

What about a different option - the sin uses last wish (might); while the merc is using the AR aura + pride (concentraiton).
A BA merc with Pride is certainly an alternative, but there are a few caveats:
  1. Death still outdamages Last Wish. The additional ED% from lvl 17 Might is not enough to overcome 40-45% DS.
  2. You'll need +AR items to boost your base AR enough for Blessed Aim to enhance (see new example setup with Hsaru's), which means sacrificing some DS or off-weapon ED% somewhere from your equipment.
  3. Life Tap ctc will make it virtually impossible to use any other curse or CoS

wouldn't Famine be a better option than Fury?
No. Claws are needed to hit the highest damage.
Not necessarily claws, per se, but off-weapon ED% and DS/CS are more valuable than high weapon damage. It just so happens that Claw Mastery helps with both of these things.

How would a giant skull work instead of gullies?
Giant Skull is a good option. As you say, losing the Crushing Blow is bad if you don't have another big source (eg. on weapon), but knockback and an extra socket are very helpful.

How would a +3 traps +3BF claw in offhand compare to a 160%ed monarch?
Interesting proposal. Using the same setup as my (new) 10k example, but swapping out the shield for a +6 BF claw, it calculates to 10,189. Not too shabby, and possibly a lot cheaper, but the difference won't always be so small. It depends on how much of your total off-weapon ED% that you're sacrificing. In this case, 160% only counts for ~18% of the total off-weapon ED%.

I just wanted to say thanks for all the work you've put into this :thumbsup: It was very helpful.

I have a small question about the calculator though, does the %ed from the merc's might go into the off weapon, or to the ed from skills?

I have a small question about the calculator though, does the %ed from the merc's might go into the off weapon, or to the ed from skills?
Actually, it doesn't make any difference, those numbers just get added together anyway. I separated them for convenience in an attempt to reduce the amount of manual math people need to do. :) Typically I refer to aura bonuses as 'skill based' though.

Thanks, I noticed it doesnt matter after making the post :)

I'm currently working on getting +skills gear on my merc to maximize his might aura to squeeze yet some more damage :) (eth fury setup)

Hey I've been playing with the blade fury + blade sentinal assassin combination lately.

At first I was using an Eth Famine Small Crescent (350-420 damage) paired with the Phoenix shield (370% ED). Other relevant equipment is Fortitude armor and Giant skull with 70% ED. Combined with a Might + Pride merc, this put me to around 8,500 maximum damage for blade fury on the damage screen.

Then I popped on an Eth Infinity Colossus voulge (98-980 damage, 298% ED) just for fun to see what would happen. Well my maximum damage shot up to 11K and I seem to be a better PVM killer.

So I am wondering does the character screen accurately reflect the damage of blade fury? Is the 3/8 weapon reduction applied to the 11K number, or is conviction/40% CB really just that useful compared to the Famine/Phoenix combination?

Either way it seems the Eth Poleaxe has some advantages over the 1H Weapon/Shield combination.

This has me wondering if there is an even better Eth Poleaxe I could be using, one with greater damage boost than Infinity? I could pop the Infinity on the merc and use something like...

Phoenix Colossus voulge
100% chance to cast level 40 Blaze when you level up
40% chance to cast level 22 Firestorm on striking
Level 10-15 Redemption aura when equipped
+350-400% Enhanced Damage
-28% to enemy Fire Resistance
+350-400 Defense against missiles
+15-21 Fire Absorb
20% Deadly Strike
Ignores Target Defense
14% Mana stolen per hit

400% ED on an Eth Cv is around 1300 max damage which could be really insane combined with the other awesome mods on this weapon. I'm really tempted to try this one out but the rune requirement is just so absurd. I already wasted my effort trying this word out on a sword for my whirlwind barb. :(

Destruction Cryptic Axe -
23% chance to cast level 12 Volcano on striking
5% chance to cast level 23 Molten Boulder on striking
100% chance to cast level 45 Meteor when you die
15% chance to cast level 22 Nova on attack
+350% Enhanced Damage
Ignore Target's Defense
Adds 100-180 Magic Damage
7% Mana stolen per hit
20% chance of Crushing Blow
20% Deadly Strike
Prevent Monster Heal
+10 to Dexterity

This one looks real good too, somewhat unfortunately. Although you can't use the Collosus voulge, but I do have an extra 5os Eth Cas hanging around. And actually now that I see the two weapons stats next to each other I think the Destruction weapon would be better than Phoenix. It has less mana regen, but 7% mana steal is plenty for a bladesin even tossing out tons of fury and sentinel.

Then you don't have the annoying firestorm but instead boulder and volcano. Add extra magic damage and 20% CB and prevent monster heal... Destruction wins hands down, even if the phoenix has greater physical damage potential.

Anyways the guide here is great, however I am wondering if the 2H weapons are just being dismissed prematurely without proper testing?

Has anyone else done much 2H weapon testing?

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High