The 12 Labors Tournament

Re: The 12 Labors Tournament

When last following BornToFolk's adventures, he was waltzing through act 2 with relative ease. Finally capturing the eye of the viper from fangskin (who really didn't put up much of a fight at all) he cubed the full horardric staff. Now all he had to do was find that damn tomb.

The arcane sanctuary was, of course, tedious and long, but after two failed tries Folk finally found the right path to the summoner. Once there, it was but 1, 2, 3, 4 hits and the summoner was down for the count. All that was left was Duriel.

One finding the right tomb and fighting through the hordes of monsters inside the tomb, he came upon Duriel's chamber itself. Restocking necessary rejuvs safely into his belt, and recasting oak sage and his faithful ravens, he tackled Duriel head on.

'Twas quite an uneventful battle, With 492 health in werewolf form and oak sage, plus 42% life steal from feral rage, Folk's health never dipped anywhere close to half. He also had the help of the trusty weapon crushflange, making Duriel's huge lifepool drop nicely. What REALLY pissed of Folk during the battle was the peculiar way his oak sage reacted. Once recasted safely AWAY from Duriel, the oak sage seemed magnetically drawn toward the battle, and was killed by Duriel without fail about 5 seconds after recasting oak sage. Every. Time.

Near the end of the battle, Folk had had enough of that nonsense and stopped recasting oak sage altogether.

Finally, after 2 minutes or so of breathtaking battle, BornToFolk lorded over Duriel's dead body. Unfortunately, the items dropped by Duriel were lacking to say the least. (Not even one rare polearm? C'mon!)

What was even worse was the fact that my computer froze when running towards Tyreal. So I'll get to do the battle over again. Which won't be that hard to do, considering my first try, but it's just annoying.

I did do a screenshot, but I've never tried to upload pictures to this site before, and thus had no idea how to do it. :(

All in all a good experience seeing BornToFolk's ridiculous tanking capabilities (due to that awesome ~500 health and 42% life steal), I feel Meph won't be too hard either.

When I kill Duriel again I'll just update the table, I don't think I'll write out another summary of how it happened. Though I'll definitely post a screenshot of Duriel's body and the items that drop! If someone helps me learn now...

Quickdeath, a question about allowable skills in the Survival Labors - are we allowed to use a level 1 Twister? This seems to me similar to War Cry in that it has a stun effect, but it might well be prohibited as being an active attack. Apologies if it's already been mentioned.

Twister? With an 0.4 sec stun length? Is that really a viable approach to stunning people? :scratchchin: If I were to allow it it would have to be with no or minimal points in its synergies -and what non-shape shifter Druid build would only have 1 point in Twister and none in Tornado nor Hurricane? Twister is not currently allowed in the rules, and unless others think this is a reasonable skill to allow in the Survival/Stealth tasks, I will continue to rule that it is NOT allowed.
Jocular -I enjoyed your account of your battle with Duriel. Well done. By the way, you are allowed to use a portal the next time you face him because you've already beat him Mano-a mano. And Feral with 42% Life Leach? I hadn't thought of that strategy -maybe now I am starting to understand why you chose a Druid, lol.

ALL: I would be interested in hearing if you-all are putting together customized sets of equipment and charms for any of the Labors as you go through the Tournament.

Photobucket and imageshack are the two most popular image hosting sites. I have accounts at both, but I've long lost the photobucket password. Either works fine.

I killed another sorceress at Duriel. Careless and in a hurry.

@ancalagon the black: interesting stuff about Wirt's Leg. It never even occurred to me to run Tristram so as to have a selection of Legs from which to choose. I'll have to consider that now.

@Quickdeath: OK, thanks for the prompt reply. Trevor will have to find some other way to deal with the Survival Labors. I wasn't that sure about such a strategy anyway since, as you pointed out, the stun length is so short.

Trevor has reached the last waypoint in Act 1. Tomorrow he will need to summon the courage to face Andariel.

Question: for the Ancients Labour, is it ok to TP in and out a few times before fighting them to drop a stack of potions and ammo around the area?

And a quick question for me too!

In the duriel and stealth challenges, if I decide it is not going well, can I tp to town, reroll the map and then make a new attempt?

Question: for the Ancients Labour, is it ok to TP in and out a few times before fighting them to drop a stack of potions and ammo around the area?

Yes, you may pre-load the Ancients Summit. The "death-match" aspect of the Labor does not begin until you summon the Ancients.

kestegs said:
In the Duriel and stealth challenges, if I decide it is not going well, can I tp to town, reroll the map and then make a new attempt?

Duriel: NO. This is a "until-the death" challenge
Stealth Challenge: You are restircted in some segments, see below:

To be clear: Six challenges have restrictions on TP-ing away:
Kill Duriel Until you have killed him

Kill Ancient Kaa (after you have cleared out the other monsters, and put on nonmetallic clothes and decide you are ready to kill Kaa)

Hell Ancients (after you have summoned the Ancients)

A Caress for Andariel (You may not TP away on Catacombs 4 -but may return to Catacombs 3 to TP)

Deathtrap in Drifter Cavern (You may not TP away in Drifter Cavern until you have activated the chest)

Hell Cows You must survive for 30 seconds and circumnavigate the map before you are allowed to TP away

I´ll enter with ThisIsMalaga, HC single pass Paladin.

The first labor was a bit more effort than i expected. in total i needed 4 attempts...
1. accidentally killed a monster
2. see first
3. i put throw on LMB this time, but got trapped by some fallen in a house
4. found the chest, but it was locked. couldn´t find a key from a chest in the entire moor, so i went on and got the wp. some dead rogue in the den finally had a key, so i decided to head back and open the chest. back in the den it took me ~ 5 minutes to park all the fallens in a manner, so i could reach corpsefire and wack him. all done on p5

Woot, BornToFolk successfully killed Duriel again, and is now level 28! I really want him to get to at least 31 (for level 2 fury) before mephisto, but doing act 3 at /p8 with a wep that's REALLY starting to lose its power is tedious at times.

This really isn't much of an update, but as I didn't after I killed Duriel the first time, I thought it was slightly necessary.

Krupa! What kinda pally?

[highlight]Hardcore[/highlight]
Code:
Forum Name        Character Name    Class       Clvl  Current Location   SP?  Labours
=====================================================================================
Kestegs           AWorkingStiff     Necromancer   20  Dry Hills          No      1/12
Jason Maher       Jason             Necromancer   17  Outer Cloister     Yes     1/12
Sint              WorkedUp          Druid         17  Outer Cloister     No      1/12
Ojimijam          Evelyn            Assassin      13  Black Marsh        No      1/12
Quickdeath        Lizzie2           Amazon        13  Dark Woods         No      1/12
JimmyOfJudecca    Heracles          Barbarian      1  Rogue camp         No      0/12
Jocular           BornToFolk        Druid         28  Kurast Bazaar      Yes     3/12

[highlight]Fallen Heroes[/highlight]
Code:
Forum Name        Character Name    Class       Clvl  Current Location   SP?  Labours
=====================================================================================
Nightfish         Hammertime        Paladin       60   Durance II        No     7/12
jdkerr            BrusselSprouts    Sorceress     51   Durance II               5/12
Quickdeath        Lizzie            Amazon         1   Corpsefire        No     0/12

[highlight]Softcore[/highlight]
Code:
GoldenredDragon   Vein              Paladin       18 Inner Cloister      No      1/12
Jason Maher       Jacinta           Amazon        13 Rogue Encampment    No      1/12
Thaurus           TrevorTheTimid    Druid         15 Black Marsh         No      1/12

Trevor fought Andariel in werewolf form. At this stage of the game he's giving up very little when shifted. Even Cyclone Armor was still available to him as long as it was cast before transforming. Andariel dropped Isenhart's Horns and other equally forgettable stuff.

So onward to Act 2, where Trevor bid farewell to Maeko the fire arrow rogue. He hired Haseen the Defiance mercenary to take her place. They promptly proceeded into the Sewers and fought their way down to Radament, whose drop was a little disappointing (/players8, 130% MF).

The early stages of Act 2 seemed to be all about item acquisition: new weapons were shopped for both Haseen (Deadly Spetum of Readiness), and Trevor (Deadly Flail of Readiness). Trevor also had to purchase a Bone Shield of Deflecting, and boots and gloves of Fortune. A short time later a Tir rune dropped in the Rocky Waste and Trevor replaced the flail he had so recently bought with a Steel (runeword) Flail. Trevor topped off the item spree by gambling a 26% MF circlet.

[highlight]Trevor the Timid, level 22 Druid with Haseen the Defiance mercenary, Stony Tomb, 1/12 Labors completed[/highlight]

First, welcome Krupa!

[HIGHLIGHT]Lizzie2, The Javazon, clvl 20, Lut Gholein [/HIGHLIGHT]
I am going slowly - I can only play on weekends because of my business travel. Lizzie 2 has been mowing through A1, her progress only slowed by 9 Tristam runs -to get a 3OS Wirt's leg, and a half dozen Countess runs to start loading up on runes.

The exploding Plague Javelin is simply a Weapon of Mass Destruction early in the game, even at slvl 3. Charged Strike is at slvl4 but already is overpowered for everything except Andariel herself and some of the vampire dudes. I went down to /p3 for Andariel, out of an excess of caution. I shouldn't have bothered -she went down before my javazon had to gulp a red potion.

I found a Clegaw's Claw - which I wore once to face Andariel (it has 75% Poison duration reduction) and will probably never wear again. I did gamble a magic javelin with +1 to spear & javelin skills. This character will really be stressed for skill points, so i will need all the +skills items I can find.

I am starting to plan ahead for /p8 Normal Diablo with no TP portal. Mana will be a problem -depending upon what items I get in A2. I would love to be throwing Decoy around a lot, but that also takes mana and Decoy never lasts more than a second against Duriel. I will be preparing a special set of equipment - de-emphasizing elemental res and MF and instead emphasizing life, mana, FHR, FBR and blocking and to a lesser extent, damage.

Code:
Jocular           BornToFolk        Druid         28  Kurast Bazaar      Yes     3/12 
Kestegs           AWorkingStiff     Necromancer   20  Dry Hills          No      1/12
Quickdeath        Lizzie2           Amazon        20  Lut Gholein        No      1/12
Jason Maher       Jason             Necromancer   17  Outer Cloister     Yes     1/12
Sint              WorkedUp          Druid         17  Outer Cloister     No      1/12
Ojimijam          Evelyn            Assassin      13  Black Marsh        No      1/12
JimmyOfJudecca    Heracles          Barbarian      1  Rogue camp         No      0/12

Code:
Nightfish         Hammertime        Paladin       60   Durance II        No     7/12
jdkerr            BrusselSprouts    Sorceress     51   Durance II               5/12
jdkerr            Unknown           Sorceress     ??   Duriel                   1/12
jdkerr            Orig Sprouts      Sorceress      1   Corpsefire               0/12
Quickdeath        Lizzie            Amazon         1   Corpsefire        No     0/12

Code:
Thaurus           TrevorTheTimid    Druid         22 Stony Tomb          No      1/12
GoldenredDragon   Vein              Paladin       18 Inner Cloister      No      1/12
Jason Maher       Jacinta           Amazon        13 Rogue Encampment    No      1/12

jdkerr: I hope you don't mind but I added a couple of your fallen heroes to the table. I'm just trying to give any incoming participants an accurate idea of how difficult or easy this has been so far.

jdkerr: I hope you don't mind but I added a couple of your fallen heroes to the table. I'm just trying to give any incoming participants an accurate idea of how difficult or easy this has been so far.
No, that's fine. I was actually planning on adding my characters when I next updated.

...yes, when I next updated. I have entered again, this time with a barbarian. :coffee:

Code:
Quickdeath        Lizzie2           Amazon        20  Lut Gholein        No      1/12

Code:
Forum Name     Character Name    Class      Clvl   Current Location     Labours
================================================================================
Nightfish      Hammertime        Paladin      60   NM Durance II        7/12
jdkerr         BrusselSprouts    Sorceress    51   NM Durance II        5/12
jdkerr         MrSchizo          Druid        24   Duriel               1/12
jdkerr         Adria             Sorceress    21   Canyon of the Magi   1/12
Quickdeath     Lizzie            Amazon        1   Corpsefire           0/12

Code:
Thaurus           TrevorTheTimid    Druid         22 Stony Tomb          No      1/12

Jacinta has just dispatched Fangskin. I seriously hate that guy. Pretty smooth going thus far. I've found two very useful set items - Cleglaw's Pincer's (every Bowazon's favourite piece of el cheapo gear) and Sander's Folly (40% FRW = win). Just found a 24% MF ammy as well. Current MF is ~100. I also found a Greyform, which is being sported by the merc. I chickened out and took Andy on p1, but other than that it's been p8 all the way. I plan on running Ancient Kaa to get to level 30 and get a Valk before facing Duriel (I do this with all my Bowazons).

Fire Tower Labour was a doddle. Had 3 Towers next to each other in the Lost City, and another one in the Valley of the Snakes.

Code:
Quickdeath        Lizzie2           Amazon        13  Dark Woods         No      1/12
Code:
Code:
Jason Maher       Jacinta           Amazon        25 Lut Gholein         No      2/12
Thaurus           TrevorTheTimid    Druid         15 Black Marsh         No      1/12

Last edited:

I have entered again, this time with a barbarian. :coffee:

Glad you're back and good luck with the Barb. :thumbup:

Just fixing the tables below so that they reflect everyone's status -we had the dreaded "update of an out-of-date table" event.

Code:

Code:
================================================================================

Code:
Jason Maher       Jacinta           Amazon        25 Lut Gholein         No      1/12

Thanks for the warm welcome :)
i think i´ll make a smiter/hdin hybrid. classic hdins are fun and without the use of RWM this will be more or less a classic din.
so far the journey has been uneventful. 4 uniques dropped so far (blood fist, umbral disk, lenymo and blood crescent), but nothing with cb, what i was hoping for. still a bit time left till the duriel task, as i am in the lost city atm. destroyed a fire tower. still everything done on p5

Code:
Krupa 		  ThisIsMalaga 	    Paladin 	  22  Lost City 	 Yes 	 1/12

Code:

Code:
Jason Maher       Jacinta           Amazon        25 Lut Gholein         No      1/12

Duriel's overgrown corpse lies lifeless in a pile of maggots.

Introducing Slog the Frog, a barbarian. The build should be evident from the name. I think I am in for quite the challenge with this approach, but someone was already playing the berserker option. It's nice to be a tank for a change. Duriel was defeated handily at lvl23. The basic setup was like this: I had 75% blocking, a lot of life, and battle cry; my mercenary had a big stick made with the savage polearm recipe. A few red potions later (collected throughout the act, since vendors sell puny ones) it was all over.

Onward and upward! Gear has been a bust so far, except Duriel dropped Berserker's Hauberk for +1 skills.

Code:
jdkerrr           SlogTheFrog      Barbarian      23  Kurast Docks       No      2/12

Code:

Code:

My Avenger is going good. Starting back where I stopped, he smashed Andariel down with ease, using lots more mana pots than life ones.

Then somewhere in act two, a unique falchion fell. It's my best weapon so far, with a whooping +30 mana, helping a lot.

A was a bit scared of the Duriel challenge. I kept my act2 rogue, as I am the tank as a paladin, and the moron always just dies against him. Well it went well[/url by tanking all (occasional) hits, and letting the rogue shoot away. But double holy freez aura has its drawbacks. It took [url=http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/3276/vein008duriel.jpg]forever to kill him. All that for some poor drops.

Mephisto went down slow as well. But no real challenge. 75% resists and high block (can't remember) plus elemental vengeance damage minus mana pots, and you get a good cocktail.

I switched to an Act3 merc, as he offers loads more crowd control than the act1 (running around doing nothing !!) or act2 (chaaaaarge !!! eurhg dead...), and act5 is still far off.

I also veeeeerryy sloooowwllyyyy killed Izual. Not only does he have a bajilion life, he doesn't do anything, especially chilled by my merc. I ended up finishing the fight with meditation on, to lessen the use of blues... Boooring.

I'm not looking forward to finding a good wirt's leg. I suppose I'll be slivering bid D's life, then trying with the leg ? Dunno. Or the 3Tal leg looks nice. I already busted my imbue on my 3 row belt, which I always do, for the sake of having decent gear. Didn't thing about it enough...

act2 p8, act3 p1, act4 p1. I know, I should level to 30 for conviction asap, (lower def ! lower resists !) and/or do full clears for more exp, but I can't bother.

Oh, I forgot. Two towers down. No problemo, smash smash, broken. Easy. (At least in normal ;) )

Code:
jdkerrr           SlogTheFrog      Barbarian      23  Kurast Docks       No      2/12

Code:

Code:
GoldenredDragon   Vein              Paladin       28 City of the Damned  No      2/12

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High