The 12 Labors Tournament

Re: The 12 Labors Tournament

R.I.P. ThisIsMalaga. :(

Very well played to that point. I have been noticing that lightning is painful even with high resists, too -- I'll watch out for the gloams.

[highlight]Update:[/highlight]

Holy crap. I met my first major challenge: the Ancient Kaa was almost impossible. I had forgotten that the "no metallic objects" restriction applied to weapons, so I had not bothered to look for anything helpful. I therefore stashed Wirt's Leg and a few other replacement pieces of gear and went searching (hopping, of course) for the Ancient Kaa. I found him in the fifth tomb I tried. Since I was on /p1 for the searching, I saved, exited, and came back ready to fight. I worked my way to him at /p8, luring out anything he could resurrect and horking the corpses. Finally, it was just the three of us. I returned to town and donned my non-metallic gear. Then ensued a miserable string of futile attempts on his life.

In the first place, the merc died right away. The merc's lightning resistance was around 65, but he still went down extremely quickly. I had hoped to keep Kaa pinned against a wall with Leap while the merc took him down, but every Leap released bolts from lightning enchanted monsters (of which the Kaa is one), so that was a recipe for disaster. I decided that even if I started the challenge afresh, there was no way I was going to be able to keep the mercenary alive, so it was up to me.

The problem was that I went down just as fast. Kaa is fast and hits hard, and my maximized lightning resists did not do much. Toe-to-toe wasn't going to work (and my chance to hit was low, anyways), so I thought, "perfect, I'll do hit-and-run tactics with Leap Attack, which will boost my AR and keep me away from his claws, poison, and lightning." It was then I discovered what would be the central obstacle: life regeneration. Even with poison damage, I could not dish out enough damage to overcome his regeneration. I took many trips to town (knowing that I was forfeiting the battle by doing so, of course) to refill my potions and try different strategies. I shopped a weapon with PMH (metallic, but at this point I was just experimenting, anyway), but even after scoring two or three solid hits with it he kept regenerating. I shopped a throwing weapon with high poison damage, but my chance to hit was not high enough to keep the poison applied, and he regenerated completely between applications. I was at the end of my rope. I returned to town, exited the game, and went digging through my stash.

I decided the mercenary was going to have to be a key part of the puzzle. If I focused on resists and blocking, perhaps I could guzzle reds while the merc did the damage. If I positioned the merc well, he could avoid the charged bolts. That ethereal Septum-turned-Yari has some solid poison damage, so I gave it to my merc to stop the regeneration. With Battle Cry, the merc would be hitting often enough to keep the poison applied. I cleared the tomb again, switched to non-metallic gear, loaded up my inventory with red pots, and went after the Kaa. I ran up to his face, hit my warcry, and poised my finger over the potion button... and he did not even bat an eye at me. Instead, he went straight for the mercenary. I tried a few more times, using various combinations of gear. No matter what I did, the Kaa targeted my merc and killed him faster than I could pot him.

At this point, I was at the end of my rope. I plugged my current rune supply into a RW finder and browsed the possibilities. "Malice" caught my eye: about the only thing I had not tried to overcome his regeneration was open wounds. I also vaguely recalled a conversation I had read a long time ago about Diablo targeting someone's merc in CS runs, and the solution was to add more damage to the player's weapon. My Wirt's Leg wasn't doing much damage, but it's Tal+Tal poison damage made for a higher total than many early weapons. I went digging through my stash for the lowest damage 3os spear/polearm I could find (yes, I keep everything), loaded the game, and made myself "Malice" in it. I ended up with 68 damage on the polearm and 150 (poison) damage on Wirt's Leg. Crossing my fingers, I cleared the tomb again, switched to the Kaa gear, and went after him. Sure enough, he targeted my character! I knew I had him. Since open wounds has an eight second duration, my technique was to run up, cast battle cry, and tank until my merc followed me in and scored a hit. I would then run like mad, drawing my merc out of danger, counting in my head. When the eight second were almost up, I would repeat the process. Finally, he bit the dust.

Whew! The whole process took about four hours and burned close to 400,000 gold.

I have to hand it to you, Quickdeath. I didn't even give the Ancient Kaa labor a second thought when I read the rules, but you cooked up a doozy with that one.

Onward!

the only way i know of getting a 6 soc weapon at that point is by using the socket reward on a weapon capable of getting 6 socs out of mid-late nightmare.
And the socket quest is not available until Act5. This makes me think that we are intended to go back to the CS to perform the Labor. The OP does not say otherwise, but it does have some language that at least hints otherwise ("if you have not found the runes by this point," as well as the allowance for single-pass play). I would just like a bit of clarification before I get there.

Yes, you may pre-load the Ancients Summit. The "death-match" aspect of the Labor does not begin until you summon the Ancients.

Duriel: NO. This is a "until-the death" challenge
Stealth Challenge: You are restircted in some segments, see below:

To be clear: Six challenges have restrictions on TP-ing away:
Kill Duriel Until you have killed him

Kill Ancient Kaa (after you have cleared out the other monsters, and put on nonmetallic clothes and decide you are ready to kill Kaa)

Hell Ancients (after you have summoned the Ancients)

A Caress for Andariel (You may not TP away on Catacombs 4 -but may return to Catacombs 3 to TP)

Deathtrap in Drifter Cavern (You may not TP away in Drifter Cavern until you have activated the chest)

Hell Cows You must survive for 30 seconds and circumnavigate the map before you are allowed to TP away

Doesn't this mean you should kill KAA on your first attempting? still confused I suppose...

There is no reason you can't cube socket a 6os polearm, of course I say that without checking the required ilvls to get 6 sockets, but I would assume that it is possible still.

Sorry about your deeds Krupa :(

This is a ridiculous tournament. It is impossible. Only an idiot would enter. And, my character will be a necromancer with the name "Dumber". I will see if I last long enough to bother entering his name in the listing.:crazyeyes:

Doesn't this mean you should kill KAA on your first attempting? still confused I suppose...
If so, I am obviously out. Quickdeath?

It's been a very long time since I've done anything but lurk on these forums but this tournament seems like a great challenge so I'm in. I'll be playing an iron/zerk/conc barb variant named Stone (very original, I know). I figure, if I can't die then I can finish the challenges. I'll update my status a little later. Onto the blood moor!

Act5 was much more interesting. I ran Eldritch for a while, since I was so underleveled. When I thought I could take on Pindle, I hopped my way to the Underground River. On the way there, I found the stairs to the Glacial Trail and decided to do the challenge. Honestly, Leap makes the stealth challenges ridiculously easy (which is good, because this character is quite poorly suited to some of the other challenges). After activating the Drifter chest, I backtracked to the Underground River. I did not kill a single monster in the place, if I recall.

Are we allowed to use Leap in the Drifter Cavern for the Stealth Labor? I thought it was banned, and I was really worried about that one.

Rechecking the rules confirm this... QuickDeath, can you please weigh in on this as I would definitly prefer using Leap rather than not. If not... then that really sucks.

EDIT: Looks like there is another Labor in question RE: The Ancient Kaa. Apologies for not looking forward before bringing this one up too. I am very interested to hear the results.

Two small questions:

1) Under "non-metallic" armor, "quilted" isn't listed- is that an oversight? It seems to me like quilted is less metallic than studded leather, which is permitted!

2) Under the Blister Lister- for "armor", do you mean body armor or all types of armor for the 200% MF from armor, jewelry and weapon requirement? If you meant all types of armor, it seems like the only MF that is being disallowed is from charms.

Magara completed the first labor and for normal Duriel and Diablo, she will have Static which should work well. But the Hell Ancients at /p8 looms in her distant future. I suspect Lower Resist charges and a great deal of luck are her best plan for that far-off challenge at this point! At this point, I am planning an Orbwaller with some kind of lightning backup or perhaps a very strong merc.

First, RIP to Krupa :( Your valor is impressive! An aptly named location to perish.

Heracles has now completed 2 more Labors! Apparently well overpowered for both the Towers and little D on /p8. A Strength RW was never made as it was taking far too long to acquire and cube up the runes for an Amn (he is over 2/3 the way there after ~2 1/2 hours dedicated to Countess runs). After admitting that Dex may be necessary, 3 lvls have been spent on Dex. Fortunately, mana leach was found on an amulet + Gorefoot, so Concentration was utilized without suffering serious mana drain, and as luck would have it, a Combat shrine was next to the Canyon of the Magi WP. After getting everything in order for the little D Labor short of entering Tal's tomb, Heracles got the shrine, went back to the pre-chamber, activated lvl 4 BO (~550 life), and took on little D with a start of Rixot's Keen, switching to a rare Maul after a decent amount of little D's life was gone. Not one potion for Heracles was needed (Cathan's Seal ftw!), but the Merc needed 3 to survive the assault. So much for a difficult fight, the Combat Shrine lasted through the entire encounter. I even had to double check that /p8 was on to make sure I had done this correctly. Little D was made doubly easy with a fantastic merc weapon though. A Savage Halberd of Swiftness made damage output very fast and very high. This will probably last through the rest of Normal. The drop was nothing worth writing home about, just stashed another Stoutnail (woop-dee-doo Basil).

Looking to speed through A3 tonight/tomorrow morning and hoping to get to the next Labor soon. Just 3 levels left before Heracles is experienced enough to take advantage of his long awaited Berserk skills and Battle Cry!

The river may be long, but powerful legs will carry this force to be reckoned with onward through the fog!

[highlight]Hardcore[/highlight]
Code:
[FONT=Courier New]
Forum Name       Character Name  Class      Clvl Current Location  SP? Labors
=============================================================================
jdkerrr          SlogTheFrog     Barbarian    43 Lut Gholein        No   5/12
ancalagon        JabberWalk      Amazon       30 River of Flame     No   3/12
Jocular          BornToFolk      Druid        33 River of Flame     Yes  3/12 
JimmyOfJudecca   Heracles        Barbarian    27 Kurast Docks       No   2/12
Kestegs          AWorkingStiff   Necromancer  27 Dry Hills          No   3/12
Quickdeath       Lizzie2         Amazon       20 Lut Gholein        No   1/12
Jason Maher      Jason           Necromancer  17 Outer Cloister     Yes  1/12
Sint             WorkedUp        Druid        17 Outer Cloister     No   1/12
Ojimijam         Evelyn          Assassin     13 Black Marsh        No   1/12[/FONT]
[highlight]Fallen Heroes[/highlight]
Code:
[FONT=Courier New]
Forum Name       Character Name  Class      Clvl   Current Location    Labors
Krupa            ThisIsMalaga    Paladin      64   Plains of Despair     6/12
Nightfish        Hammertime      Paladin      60   NM Durance II         7/12
jdkerr           BrusselSprouts  Sorceress    51   NM Durance II         5/12
jdkerr           MrSchizo        Druid        24   Duriel                1/12
jdkerr           Adria           Sorceress    21   Canyon of the Magi    1/12
Quickdeath       Lizzie          Amazon        1   Corpsefire            0/12[/FONT]
[highlight]Softcore[/highlight]
Code:
[FONT=Courier New]
GoldenredDragon  Vein            Paladin      28 City of the Damned No   2/12
Jason Maher      Jacinta         Amazon       30 Kurast Docks       No   3/12
Thaurus          TrevorTheTimid  Druid        22 Stony Tomb         No   1/12[/FONT]

EDIT: Welcome to all newcomers! Don't forget to update the listings, as there seem to be nearly a handful that haven't been added. That way future updates can include the correct adventurers!

Last edited:

Ok, here I am added to the table:

Code:
[FONT=Courier New]
JimmyOfJudecca   Heracles        Barbarian    27 Kurast Docks       No   3/12
purplelocust     Magara          Sorc         20 Lut Golein         No   1/12
Ojimijam         Evelyn          Assassin     13 Black Marsh        No   1/12[/FONT]
Code:
[FONT=Courier New]
Quickdeath       Lizzie          Amazon        1   Corpsefire            0/12[/FONT]
Code:
[FONT=Courier New]
Thaurus          TrevorTheTimid  Druid        22 Stony Tomb         No   1/12[/FONT]

One other question: the "Overpower the Towers" labor, is that considered 3 separate labors? I don't see how characters in A3 norm can have 3 labors already completed unless that labor is counted 3 times, giving 14 total not the mythological 12.

Questing through act one turned out to be pretty fun. Corpsefire almost killed me though. Didn't realize he could pack quite a punch. Actually, the start was pretty tough. I encountered a holy freeze enchanted axe rouge pack I had to lead back to Flavie and still almost met deeds. Once I settled on P5 and took the time to level in the cold plains the going went much smoother. I had a belt and gloves with 3% ctc charged bold and a ctc frost nova buckler. For those unused to untwinked play Acts 1 and 2 are much easier with some ctc gear. When I switch to a prayer merc I'll shop a FN helm and armor for him and A FN belt and gloves for me. I gambled flails at level 15 and ran bone ash until I hit 18. The fight with Andy was easy. She dropped a Topaz so I can get some mf gear earlier then I thought. I'm still debating on gambling a maul for act 2. With the ctc frost nova and prayer merc I should be fine. I havent lost a hc character in normal in ages anyway.

I have high hopes for this character. Mace mastery should make the Diablo and Kaa challenges easier and by focusing on life and defense I'm hoping to not die from general questing. Here's to hoping Stone can make it to the ancients

Code:
[FONT=Courier New]
JimmyOfJudecca   Heracles        Barbarian    27 Kurast Docks       No   3/12
purplelocust     Magara          Sorc         20 Lut Gholein        No   1/12
LordMay          Stone           Barbarian    18 Lut Gholein        no   1/12
Code:
[FONT=Courier New]
Code:
[FONT=Courier New]

One other question: the "Overpower the Towers" labor, is that considered 3 separate labors? I don't see how characters in A3 norm can have 3 labors already completed unless that labor is counted 3 times, giving 14 total not the mythological 12.

Great catch PL! I have corrected my misrepresentation.

Welcome purplelocust and LordMay. Best of luck! I look forward to hearing of your adventures.

EDIT: and here is the actual table-
Code:
[FONT=Courier New]
purplelocust     Magara          Sorc         20 Lut Gholein        No   1/12
Code:
[FONT=Courier New]
Code:
[FONT=Courier New]

I have high hopes for this character. Mace mastery should make the Diablo and Kaa challenges easier and by focusing on life and defense I'm hoping to not die from general questing. Here's to hoping Stone can make it to the ancients

Heracles has been going back and forth on whether or not to spend his efforts on honing skills for Maces. This is an excellent view as Heracles currently uses a Maul. Mace Mastery it is!:thumbup:

QuickDeath, I have a question on the Ancient Kaa Labor. Would the Maul/War Club and/or Great Maul/Martel de Fer fall in to the non-metallic realm? I know the rules say "all clubs, specifically the Club and Spiked Club", but wanted to see if the Maul/War Club or a Great Maul//Martel de Fer might be acceptable. I realize this is a long shot, and possibly a "bending of the rules", but any clarification helps in completing these tasks as intended. IMO, the Great Maul//Martel de Fer appears to have as much "metal" as the Spiked Club does; however, the Maul/War Club has a big metal brick at the top, so would not be acceptable. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Ah, good catch. Of course the Labour is not completed until the fire towers have been levelled in hell. Brain fart on my part not to realsie that. I'll adjust next time I update. :thumbsup:

Megara is developing nicely as a Firewall sorc, headed toward firewall/orb eventually. Her battle with Duriel at /players 8 was somewhat anticlimatic- she and the merc were all juiced up on thawing potions, enchanted, fat purples at the ready, and after some quick staticing and about three firewalls, Duriel was gone. Static is wonderful in Normal (and throughout Classic...)

Megara found a great Leaf base staff- +3 Enchant/+3 Fireball. I had planned on doing a shopping feast to find a +Firewall base staff for Leaf but there isn't as much urgency when she already has that lovely staff, one of the nicest Leaf bases I've ever seen. Not too much find-wise- a Pelta Luna earlier is a nice switch shield for her, she found Death's sash (not nearly as useful for her as it would be for many other characters) but she is doing well.

I cubed some savage polearms for the merc with some success, and discovered that if you use the completed Horadric Staff for the staff ingredient, it goes away. I knew from long ago that the recipe (any diamond+any belt+any staff+ any kris) was pretty flexible on ingredients, and would (for example) happily use an unidentified Jade Tan Do for the kris, but I'd never tried the Horadric Staff before. That was basically for comedy and curiosity value. And now I know, and all I had to do was go back to the Maggot Lair and Viper Temple again. No problem having a fire turret to dispense. (That Horadric Staff did actually give a decent merc Savage Lochaber Axe of Blight.)

Code:
[FONT=Courier New]
purplelocust     Megara          Sorc         25 Kurast Docks       No   2/12
Code:
[FONT=Courier New]
Code:
[FONT=Courier New]

I'm going to be taking a hiatus from d2 for about a week...so I'll probably be in last place soon! Oh boy!

QuickDeath, I have a question on the Ancient Kaa Labor. Would the Maul/War Club and/or Great Maul/Martel de Fer fall in to the non-metallic realm? I know the rules say "all clubs, specifically the Club and Spiked Club", but wanted to see if the Maul/War Club or a Great Maul//Martel de Fer might be acceptable. I realize this is a long shot, and possibly a "bending of the rules", but any clarification helps in completing these tasks as intended. IMO, the Great Maul//Martel de Fer appears to have as much "metal" as the Spiked Club does; however, the Maul/War Club has a big metal brick at the top, so would not be acceptable. Thanks in advance!

The definitions of "non-metallic" weapons that I have used in the rules are not arbitary, they correspond to those that are in the items table in the code. Iron Golems cannot be made out of non-metallic weapons, and weapons racks rarely drop non-metallic weapons -so base weapons are all designated as either metallic or non-metallic in the tables. In these tables, the club and spiked club are designated as non-metallic, but the Maces and Hammers are designated as metallic. Hammers are Maul, Great Maul and the War Hammer, Maces are Mace and Flail -those are all metallic.

It actually turns out that, in theory anyway, I screwed myself in the Ancient Kaa challenge by picking a Javazon. I had it in my mind that an Amazon can use a bow against Kaa, so Kaa would be no major problem - but, d'oh, then I picked a Javazon. None of my Javazon's skills will help with a wooden weapon -except for the 2-3 skill points in CS and Penetrate. So, I will need to rely on whatever damage I can find, craft, imbue or socket into a bow, xbow or club -or hope I find a ribcracker, lol.

I should read more carefully. The rules say very clearly that "Jump" is not allowed in the Drifter Cavern. By this I assume Quickdeath means "Leap." It would be a simple matter for me to reroll my map and do the challenge properly, but the rules also state very clearly that I cannot return to Normal difficulty. It appears that regardless of how Quickdeath rules on the Ancient Kaa challenge, I am out of the tournament -- and by reason of my own negligence reviewing the rules.

After getting so far with an unlikely build and putting so much energy into his progress, I am not sure I have the heart to enter again. Good luck to all the participants.

didn´t read the non return to prior difficulties rule. good thing i ripped, would have been disqualified otherwise after completing the deseis labor...

If so, I am obviously out. Quickdeath?

Ancient Kaa was a death-match event, so I am chagrined to tell you that you did not complete the Labor as specified. After reading your account of your 4-hour ordeal, I feel terrible for you.

But, you are welcome to keep playing and pushing forward if you wish to. After all, your character is not dead. You could end up with 11 of 12 labors and have the satisfaction of knowing that you were the first one to do many of the labors - and that your Ancient Kaa triumph is not counted only because of a technicality.

Only the great and powerful Nightfish has gotten as far as you have -and he played a Hammerdin while you are playing with an utterly absurd leaper Barb. Your account of your Kaa battle reminded me of the SuperDave thread, your dilemma, problem solving and eventual triumph over Kaa was the stuff of legends. And, now, you are progressing into uncharted territory. I think if you keep going, and trailblaze this tournament, you have a chance to ...er... hop into history. Everyone else in this tournament has already benefited from your trail-blazing account of Ancient Kaa (or alternately, they may drop out of the tournament and hide under their beds. I am under mine right now.)

You are at a cross-roads, and the decision is yours. You can certainly retire with honor -what an incredible battle waged by such a dubious character! Or you can hop on, hero!

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High