The Don S. Davis memorial Stargate mafia game.

Re: The Don S. Davis memorial Stargate mafia game.

ok, if thw Wraith SUCK out life, then why does the story say Zarni was shot in the chest? unless i totally read that wrong?

I was wondering about this as well, after the "wraith's are soul suckers" post.

Also, if there was a doc that saved me, much love! :thumbup:

Leopold Stotch said:
unless their mandible is a plasma weapon, kinda sounds like a gun or something to me.

They have mandibles? Flip10thMtn's flavor post suggests they have "suckers" on their hands. Is this what you were referring to when you say mandibles?

ThunderCat said:
Someone has been studying....

Indeed.

Leo, did you read about Wraiths today after the intro story, or did you read about them after you found out SG was the theme?

All I can do is "google" but I find the only weapon a Wraith uses is a "Stunner Rifle" as far as personal weapons go (not ship-armed weapons). They then suck the life out of the human - course who knows if Zarni WAS human.

Not even sure this is something to look at but seems to be a discrepancy from the norm?

I'm at a bit of a disadvantage, not having viewed anything Stargate related. I agree that Falcon seems to have been the target of some sort of night action - possibly a night kill with a save, which would suggest the presence of a second anti-town or at least freelance group. It would also suggest a great deal of random luck that the doc was able to target the same person the antitown role targetted. Seems a bit too convenient to me, although it is of course a possibility.

I wonder if the headache could be a symptom of him being recruited. Like, he gets recruited night one, gets quarantined in the infirmary during day one, and becomes a fully active anti-town role player night two. That would make sense to me. Are there any factions within the Stargate universe that would seem to be a fit for a recruiting type role?

One death, no role reveal. Nothing out of the ordinary, and no clues, except the mention that Wraiths would be involved.

Like I said in the signup thread, I'm quite clueless in Stargate lore. I had to google my role name just to find out who I was supposed to be. Since then I've been reading that wiki, to get some ideas what we might be up against.

Expect to see lore elements not only from the SG-1 series, but from the entire Stargate franchise. This also includes the two movies, Continuum and Ark of Truth, and Atlantis.

Quote from the signup thread. So far, we've had mentions of the Goa'uld, the bad guys from SG-1 and Continuum. The Wraiths are from Atlantis, so we've got two anti-town groups already. What gives me chills is the idea that we could have Ori also, from Ark of Truth. They could be a recruiting cult, and we know how powerful the Hypnotoad cult was in Mara's game, despite losing members all the time.

Well, I had an idea in that game, and it could be a good time to try it. We don't know who Zarniwoop was, and as people continue to die, there are going to be plenty of roles for the mafia to claim. To prevent that, we could make limited role claims from the start: only our names, and nothing about our powers, if we have any.

This would not only rob the mafia of night kill roles they could claim, but it would give us some clues who we can trust. If someone claimed O'Neill and no one challenged the claim, that would most likely be a pro-town player. Not necessarily a power role though. This would also allow cops to focus their investigations on the obscure roles and the people who refused to claim, since the mafia will most likely be among them.

There are of course risks involved. If for example the hypothetical cult was only able to recruit humans, limited role claims would be handing the cult risk-free recruit targets. Also, some roles would be too obviously power roles, like Jackson being the doctor. Anyway, it is something we could try. Thoughts?

Are there any factions within the Stargate universe that would seem to be a fit for a recruiting type role?

I think the Ori pretty much stand out as a potential cult, what with being religious frauds and all. However, the headache seems like it could be an implanted Goa'uld larva, they do use humans as hosts. In fact, given how important the Goa'uld are in Stargate lore, I'd be surprised if they hadn't done anything the first night.

Like I said in the signup thread, I'm quite clueless in Stargate lore. I had to google my role name just to find out who I was supposed to be. Since then I've been reading that wiki, to get some ideas what we might be up against.

Quote from the signup thread. So far, we've had mentions of the Goa'uld, the bad guys from SG-1 and Continuum. The Wraiths are from Atlantis, so we've got two anti-town groups already. What gives me chills is the idea that we could have Ori also, from Ark of Truth. They could be a recruiting cult, and we know how powerful the Hypnotoad cult was in Mara's game, despite losing members all the time.

Well, I had an idea in that game, and it could be a good time to try it. We don't know who Zarniwoop was, and as people continue to die, there are going to be plenty of roles for the mafia to claim. To prevent that, we could make limited role claims from the start: only our names, and nothing about our powers, if we have any.

This would not only rob the mafia of night kill roles they could claim, but it would give us some clues who we can trust. If someone claimed O'Neill and no one challenged the claim, that would most likely be a pro-town player. Not necessarily a power role though. This would also allow cops to focus their investigations on the obscure roles and the people who refused to claim, since the mafia will most likely be among them.

There are of course risks involved. If for example the hypothetical cult was only able to recruit humans, limited role claims would be handing the cult risk-free recruit targets. Also, some roles would be too obviously power roles, like Jackson being the doctor. Anyway, it is something we could try. Thoughts?

did you get all of this from the wiki? Seems like you do know quite a bit. I should probably read it as I too am clueless.

Is there any chance that Falcon has a death timer right now? Splitting headache does not sound good and I just keep thinking about Alien where the dude is bad, then fine then an alien pops out of his chest and he dies. I know different stories but thats what it reminds me of..

As others have said - I also know close to nothing in the Stargate universe except the original movie (hence my avatar) and unlike Feysal (and possibly Leo) I don't have the time to learn or study the entire franchise (tonight) :D

I plan on going into this "cold" and only re-search things that come up in this game plus rely on those with the knowlegde of the series. I hope a "fresh perspective" can help!

@ feysal -
role "naming" on day one is kinda frowned upon here - and will get you on the scum list with some. I know it's nothing new from you (from past games) and I understand your logic; but I'm not sure with this many players and such a huge cast of characters to choose from if we would get too far. Too easy for scum to flat out lie and who knows what an obscure character is for sure when we have the entire SG universe to choose from.

As if we needed any more potential threats, here's one more: the story post mentioned the Lucian Alliance. I had no idea what it was, so I looked it up in the wiki, which describes it as "mafia on a galactic scale". Sounds bad, and all too relevant to the game setting.

Wow. Odds sound stacked against us, unless we have some very strong power roles.

It's a good idea, but it has several pretty big flaws. On mafiascum.net a lot of the theme games give the bad guys "fake claims" (ie names that no other player has) to prevent just this sort of ploy from ruining the game. I've never seen people do it here, so this might be just the game to try it in. The problem is, as you point out, that it would very likely out our power roles, and could be worthless on our end if the mods have taken steps to prevent a mass name claim from breaking the game.

@Players experienced with this forum: Have Gorny/TC or any other mods ever provided the bad guys with safe name claims to prevent a mass name claim from ruining the game?

The other problem is how do you organize the name claim? If everyone just starts doing it, the scum can just sit around and wait to see which roles are being claimed, making the chances of them claiming a name not being used by others better. I've seen in ms.net games the idea of "popcorn" style, where we elect someone to go first, and then that person says their role name and then chooses who will go next. This is good because 1) The scum can't manipulate when they'll make their claim and 2) It forces interactions between the players (ie "Why did you choose X to go after you?"). The problem with this is that on ms.net they have the luxury of more time (they usually play weeks of RL time per day) to organize it.

The biggest problem hindering the mass name claim is that by the time we've organized it and everyone has complied, we'll most likely have completely used up our day. The more days that pass with the scum getting NK results, the more worthless the idea becomes. Because we only have 48 hour days, I don't think this idea is going to work, but I'm willing to give it a try if everyone thinks its a good idea.

I don't like this idea at all, especially in a game hosted by these two. The veterans here will recall Gorny's Planet Eater which should underscore just how off-the-wall some of these roles can be.

By just giving out names, it would be fairly trivial work for the mafia to wiki up who is who, even if they know nothing.

At the same time, I would imagine there are so many characters in this game, it would be a simple thing for the mafia to look up vague characters and claim it.

All this would do is help the anti-town pick out who would most likely be better targets.

My point exactly Mara - too big a universe

I suggest we don't do this. Frankly, I'm poorly knowledge in the whole Stargate franchise; I only know so much from Stargate Atlantis. Considering that a lot players seem not to be familiar with it, the mafia would have an enormous advantage if they happened to have someone who actually IS familiar with stargate. We have a big game this time 19 players is pretty large so I really wouldn't be surprised if we had 2 mafia groups which already makes us hard pressed, giving them the info they need, we're basically out of luck. There are a lot, and I mean a lot of characters when you combine the franchises. Heck, I can think of at least 10 just from Atlantis, and we have another series and two movies. This isn't going to work, no chance.

It's a good idea, but it has several pretty big flaws. On mafiascum.net a lot of the theme games give the bad guys "fake claims" (ie names that no other player has) to prevent just this sort of ploy from ruining the game. I've never seen people do it here, so this might be just the game to try it in. The problem is, as you point out, that it would very likely out our power roles, and could be worthless on our end if the mods have taken steps to prevent a mass name claim from breaking the game.

@Players experienced with this forum: Have Gorny/TC or any other mods ever provided the bad guys with safe name claims to prevent a mass name claim from ruining the game?

I don't believe they ever had. I don't believe we ever had that problem really so I doubt it ever happened.

I'm willing to believe that we have 2 mafias but rather there is a cult or not is a flip of a coin for me really :\

Also, Flip's save does not necessarily have to be a doc save. There is plenty of ways that people could be saved. For example, Atlantis has a shield that lets absolutely nothing through it unless it's through the stargate. Therefore, that can serve as a means to save people. Also, there is the beam up power of the ships and a whole bunch of other stuff that I'm probably not even aware of.

boogy - it's a "Falcon" save not me? But I do agree nothing points to a Doc save - could be flavor for all we know.

This group seems to do fine by itself - I doubt any game mod would spoon-feed false roles to the scum to keep the game going - plus most here are a bit too blood-thirsty (see last game and all the gun-fights) for a Mod to worry about a day-1 gambit.

I'll say it again - I understand where Feysal is coming from but I don't think it will work in this game.

lol S-L-O-W are I

yup, I messed up your guys' names >.> I don't know how that happened, it just did.

I'm going to second the notion that FalconGK might have been implanted with a Goa'uld symbiote.

I'm also against roleclaiming. I've come up with enough possible major roles to cover 12 people and more than enough semi-minor and minor roles to cover the rest. Out of these the doctor role would obviously be one of Fraiser, Lam, Beckett or Keller.

I think the roleclaiming is helpful if used at the right time based on what info we are given from the mods.

heres why its bad: we dont know if the mafia are getting roles of their kills. for all we know (hypothetically) say Zarniwoop was the doctor and the mafia are informed of it. Guess what, thats a free pass for that mafia member till the end of the game because no one can rebuke his claim.

yes with more people dead there is higher chance of power roles being picked off but we need them around as long as possible. outing them this early on (this is the other side of why i disagree) gives em an easy way to pick them off. I think its a valuable tool to roleclaim, just need to wait till the right moment and I dont think page 4 fills those requirements IMO

I'm willing to believe that we have 2 mafias but rather there is a cult or not is a flip of a coin for me really :\

So you're willing to believe there are two mafia groups, but you dunno about a cult? Why does it have to be 2 mafia groups? Why couldn't it be 1 mafia group and 1 cult group, like the Futurama game?

If we learn about a cult in this game, everyone needs to remember this post, boogy is likely a member of it.

Bad Ash said:
we dont know if the mafia are getting roles of their kills. for all we know (hypothetically) say Zarniwoop was the doctor and the mafia are informed of it. Guess what, thats a free pass for that mafia member till the end of the game because no one can rebuke his claim.

But they are gonna do this anyways, they'll just save it until they are forced to claim instead of using it now. If anything, forcing them to commit to it now is better, because then they can be caught in a lie later on.

That said, I tend to agree with the chorus of people saying we shouldn't do it. Not that it's a completely bad idea, but I don't think we could execute it in a good way before the end of D1, and as BA points out here, once the scum start getting some NKs under there belt, they'll be immune to it.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High