A Mini-Guide to Ebugging in Single Player Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: A Mini-Guide to Ebugging in Single Player Forum

As a person who joined this forum well after the debate/discovery of the ATMA e-bugging issue took place, I find this guide VERY helpful as it defines and delineates the various issues about which my understanding was foggy.

In addition to the distinction in the eth-bugs, I also learned something I didn't know (that eth amors in 1.07 are always max defense).

All in all, I'm all for information and clarification, and that's what this post is all about. I have no intention of ever exploiting the ATMA e-bugging, but I DO appreciate finally understanding what that exactly means.

Thanks, Greebo, for an excellent, illuminating guide!

Yes, so was CRM. (Gotcha! :D Sorry Catt, couldn't resist that after all your threats to taint the non-trade-tagging trade pool. :p)

I realize that you are joking here, but I want to touch on it anyhow, so I can give a big old wall of text! We had a lot of "discussions" about the fact that I believed that CRM and RRM should be treated the same for simplification purposes. My main reason for hoping for CRM adoption was that it was actually much more intuitive to install than the RRM, and I was hoping to cut down on the "my RRM install didn't work right" threads, and I saw no ethical difference between the RRM and CRM. :yes: I'd always been pretty clear that I was fairly uncomfortable with the RRM. However, I started trading here before I really understood a lot of those things, so I was tainted, and couldn't go back. I used the CRM originally to test it before we allowed links to it and didn't see any reason to uninstall it. (I had sufficient Vanilla wealth at the time that it didn't negatively impact my ability to trade.)

It's also really not fair to say that they are the same thing. RRM simply makes use of an interface option that is already available in the code. It also makes no changes to the items. Someone with RRM will see the rune as red, but when they trade it, the person who gets it will see it as whatever color they had runes set to. (As a side note, several years of WoW play has made me come to appreciate the ability to modify your gaming interface, so my feelings about the RRM have mellowed. Of course, it's irrelevant these days anyhow.) My point however is that an interface change is not equivalent to editing an item.

I do have a point to this story, really! You will notice that even though I had personal ethical concerns about the RRM, I ended up "tainted" by it because I really hadn't been exposed to the ethical issues. I didn't understand D2 modding, and mod discussion at the time was very stifled due to the rules, and I felt really bad about my decision later because I did ultimately decide I wasn't comfortable with the RRM. (It's ultimately why I restarted as Vanilla and left all of my mod tainted stuff to Lan parties with friends.) That's why I think it's important that when new people come in, they know that just because something is accepted by the forum, doesn't mean that they shouldn't make their own decision about how they feel about it before they trade.

I agree that a separate section on the ethics really isn't necessary. However, there is already a section in the ATMA-ebugging section about what it's useful for, so why not also add a section about the potential negatives? Something like "It's important to note that since this involves using a third party program to change the stats of an item, some people consider this practice over the line. Also be aware that it is a part of the trade pool, and you should take that and your own personal feelings about it into account before you trade/MP. Since the practice is accepted on the forum, making use of it will not adversely affect your ability to trade and MP here."

Playing "legitimately" is sort of a weird thing. This is a game, and the point is to have fun. In Single Player, we have a lot of freedom on what we do and where we personally draw the line. That's one of the perks of SP. We can go back and forth with arguments about what is okay and what isn't all day, but the minute we fire up ATMA, GoMule or a mod, we're no longer playing "legitimate" D2. I know that a common place people like to draw the line is "well, I could do this on B.net or some other way that would just be a lot harder" but I could poke all sorts of holes into that. (A big one is that there is no way to mule items without losing your map without using a 3rd party program. That's not why ATMA and GoMule were developed, but it is a side effect.)

Why does this concept of legitimacy matter at all in SP? Well, there are 2 reasons, both of which come down to a concept of "fair play." In order to have a trade and MP pool here, we need to as a collective decide where we draw the line or trading becomes to cumbersome. Fragmenting the trade pool just kills trading. (Well, more accurately, the "special" trade statuses just never really take off and we end up with the main FAM trade pool.) The second reason is that we like to share our accomplishments, and they have more meaning when we think that we are playing "fairly."

We all have to make our own personal decisions about what makes the game fun for us. If trading and MPing is an integral part of having fun with the game, you are willing to accept the what the forum considers acceptable play. That doesn't even mean you have to personally agree with it, but you have to abide by it. If you have fun without trading and MPing, then you have a lot more freedom, but if you want to share your accomplishments, you need to be honest about the rules you personally play under. No one is impressed by a mat made using a belt with +100 skills, but a guardian that used the FE mod in 1.10 is still pretty impressive.

I know that the main point of this guide is to clarify about the different types of ebugging, but it would be nice to have an accurate description of 1.07 ethereal items.

I wrote something about this a while ago hidden here.

The cube socketing recipie does add 50% more defense to 1.07 ethereal armors, but 1.07 does not add the ethereal bonus to the base defense of the armor. Rather, 1.07 gives ethereal armors the magical attribute 50% enhanced defense. This is almost the same as 1.07 ethereal weapons which get a magical attribute of 50% enhanced maximum damage except that each individual armor item contains a variable in its data that says what its defense is. This value does not change between versions and the normal ethereal bonus is never applied. Weapons have their damage set externally by the version files and in modern versions when an item has the ethereal flag set the game automatically increases the displayed damage by 50%. For a weapon from 1.07 this results in a regular ethereal weapon with the additional magical attribute of 50% enhanced maximum damage. When a runeword is socketed this modifier stacks with rather than multiplies with any ehnanced damage on the weapon so you get, for example, an Oath with 340% enhanced minimum damage and 390% enhanced maximum damage.

Back to 1.07 ethereal armors. When you bring the armor forward, unlike with weapons whose damage changes dramatically as the ethereal flag adds 50% more damage, nothing happens to the armors. When you subsequently cube socket the armor the ethereal bonus gets applied for the first time and the defense is increased. The armor still has the magical attribute 50% enhanced defense and has the highest possible defense for a grey armor of that type. (When an armor spawns with the enhanced defense modifier it gets its base defense set to max + 1). For example, a 1.07 ethereal sacred armor after cube socketing would display 1351 defense (a perfect modern sacred armor has 1350 but that is less than 1 in 100 ethereal sacred armors compared to every single 1.07 one having 1351). This is amazing right? Unfortunately no, as this is only for the grey armor which still has the magical attribute 50% enhanced defense. When a runeword, say fortitude, is socketed rather than adding 200% enhanced defense to the 1351 you add 250% enhanced defense to 901. The end result is that 1.07 ethereal armors are greatly inferior to modern counterparts for runewords that have large amounts of enhanced defense (aka. those that you want to use). ;)

Important things to note:
  • Armor class items from 1.07 do not change when moved to modern versions. 1.07 body armors have the same defense ranges as modern versions but most other armors have inferior values that will not change when brought forwards.
  • 1.07 ethereal armors do technically have the highest possible defense but for any runeword with enhanced defense they are inferior to modern armors.
  • 1.07 does not apply the ethereal bonus to weapons; they are the same as regular weapons with only a special magic attribute: 50% enhanced maximum damage. When these weapons are brought forwards they keep this magic attribute but the ethereal bonus is also applied resulting in items better than modern equivalents.
  • In addition to non body armors having different defense, many elite weapons have different damage ranges in 1.07. The damage of weapons is determined by the version files and when a weapon is brought forwards its damage range will change with the version. The defense of armors is an inherent stat of the armor and will not change in any circumstance other than the cube-bug.

Overall I would be hesitant to call 1.07 ethereal items a bug as they are just a generally misunderstood application of item mechanics. Cube socketing ethereal armors is a bug, and ATMA bugging is also a bug. 1.07 ethereal items have nothing to do with a bug although I realize that many people refer to them as 1.07-bugged-ethereal items.

About the issue of further changes to the guide:

(1) Catt suggested adding the following to section 4:

It's important to note that since this involves using a third party program to change the stats of an item, some people consider this practice over the line. Also be aware that it is a part of the trade pool, and you should take that and your own personal feelings about it into account before you trade/MP. Since the practice is accepted on the forum, making use of it will not adversely affect your ability to trade and MP here.

(2) jdkerr suggested the following addition to section 4:

Although the forum accepts the practice as permissible, each user chooses whether it is a practice in which s/he wishes to engage. Some do, viewing the ATMA bug as a way to improve their characters with high damage, indestructible weapons. Some do not, viewing the ATMA bug as cheesy or as a objectionable third-party alteration. This is a decision that each user needs to make.

(3) Thyiad wrote this which I think might be somehow incorporated in the guide:

Whether you choose to ATMA bug or not takes into account the following:
  1. The rationale of the decision made. sirpoopsalot's post at the time; also my post at the time and a clearer post I made when the subject came up AGAIN. I'm biased but I think that should head off a lot of the "let's just ban it" posts because it should make people think of the consequences.
  2. The case for: reduces the need to repair low durability items etc
  3. The case against: it is caused by ATMA not Diablo2 LoD etc
  4. Some people find it cheesy and won't do it; this is similar to the decisions people have made regarding bringing 1.07 items forward or HF rushing
That is it.

Add in a timeline if you want (Diablo released, ATMA released, realized ATMA bug, now) because that re-inforces the rationle and should probably have been in the rationale posts from the start.

---------------------

Now, I don't actually know the timeline and if people think it could be helpful, I could add it here. But the first time I ever played D2 was in 2008, so I'm way out of my league here. Someone else would need to write it for me, then I can add it to the guide.

As for other issues: I'll wait if people have some other suggestions and try to merge them somehow into something clear, reasonable and not saying the same thing 10 times.

Thanks for constructive criticism. :thumbup:
--Greebo

@ Pyro:

All that you posted is new to me. As a matter of fact I asked a question about this 2 years ago and I got a different answer. From Jae, no less, and it doesn't happen often that those are wrong.

Let's see if I got this straight, please let me know:

(1) What I wrote about 1.07 armors is (almost) completely wrong. If I understand you correctly, the following two are equivalent with respect to value of Defense:
- you make a RW in 1.07 eth Armor, which was brought forward, with Enhanced Defense Roll X
- you make a RW in 1.13-perfect-roll-non-ethereal Armor, with Enhanced Defense Roll (X+50)
The difference will of course be that only the first one will be ethereal.

(2) The damage on the 1.07 ethereal weapon will be
[ED_Roll*[1.5*Min_Dam]] - [(ED_Roll+50)*[1.5*Max_Dam]]
Which again makes what I wrote in the guide completely wrong.

If I do understand correctly now, I will rewrite the guide.

--Greebo

Last edited:

(1) What I wrote about 1.07 armors is (almost) completely wrong. If I understand you correctly, the following two are equivalent with respect to value of Defense:
- you make a RW in 1.07 eth Armor, which was brought forward, with Enhanced Defense Roll X
- you make a RW in 1.13-perfect-roll-non-ethereal Armor, with Enhanced Defense Roll (X+50)
The difference will of course be that only the first one will be ethereal.

I don't understand what you have written here, but I will try and be clearer.

1.07 eth sacred armor:
Base defense: 601
Listed defense after 50% enhanced defense modifier: 901 (same in both 1.07 and 1.13)
Base defense after 1.13 cube bugging: 901
Listed defense after 1.13 cube bugging and 50% enhanced defense modifier: 1351
Socket this with fortitude (200% enhanced defense + 50% enhanced defense on armor from 1.07) : 3153 (= 901 * (1 + 200% + 50%))

1.13 eth sacred armor:
base defense: 730 - 900 (depending upon roll)
base defense after cube bugging: 1095 - 1350
Socket with fortitude: 3285 - 4050 defense (= (1095 - 1350) * (1 + 200%))

This shows that while the listed defense on the 1.07 armor is higher than any modern one, even the lowest roll 1.13 sacred armor exceeds the defense of a 1.07 one once socketed with a decently high enhanced defense runeword.

Actually, I understand what you wrote now. Yes, the defense values will be equal, but the 1.07 armor can still be ebugged making it superior to a non-eth armor but inferior to a modern armor in which ebugging increases the base defense a second time. A more interesting, although equally valid, comparison would be:
1.07 armor after ebugging socketed with enhanced defense X
is equivalent to:
1.13 armor socketed at larzuk (no ebug) socketed with enhanced defense X + 50%

2)...

That is correct for 1.07 ethereal weapons.

Last edited:

Socket this with fortitude (200% enhanced defense + 50% enhanced defense on armor from 1.07) : 3153 (= 901 * (1 + 200% + 50%))

Cool, I never knew.

Hail slayer of (my) misinformation.

Thanks for taking the time writing and polishing the guide, Greebo.

Concerning ATMA ebugging ethics, I think that its pretty simple. The forum rules offer 2 options: use or not use. If the forum rules include both options, then they're equally respectable. That said, I'm among those who choose not using it, but I respect others that do. Every person is entitled to make their own choice. That said what's really important here is that people make informed choices, and the guide can be very helpful in this regard.

This guide is located here.

I asked the mods to close this thread.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

--Greebo

Last edited:

That's quite a comprehensive revision, Greebo. :)

Good job Greebo, a nice guide.

Nice guide, I've bookmarked it. And section 5 turned out quite ok IMO. :)

Looks really good :thumbup:.

Thanks to nubikoen for noticing another mistake in a PM:

I changed

"You open your character with ATMA and make any change to it. Clicking “Bank of ATMA†(and not moving any funds) is enough."

to

"You open your character with ATMA and move the sword. Changing a position of the item you are trying to ATMA-ebug is necessary."

--------

Thanks to everyone for helping out and all the feedback!

--Greebo

Nice guide Greebo. I think it's useful to have such an informative guide about the various ethereal-related bugs (and features).

Thanks to nubikoen for noticing another mistake in a PM:

I changed

"You open your character with ATMA and make any change to it. Clicking “Bank of ATMA” (and not moving any funds) is enough."

to

"You open your character with ATMA and move the sword. Changing a position of the item you are trying to ATMA-ebug is necessary."
Is it really necessary to change the location (i.e. move the item to a different location inside the stash/inventory) of the to-be-ATMA-ebugged item itself, for it to become ATMA-ebugged?

I thought ATMA rewrites the whole character file, including all the items the character has, regardless of what change is made - as long as ATMA actually saves the character file; e.g. after any item has been moved inside the char's inventory/stash. (I know that ATMA doesn't save the character file if the file is only opened and closed without moving anything.) That is only what I had assumed, so I'm aware this might be wrong, I just would like to confirm this.

It is necessary to change the location of the item that is to be ATMA-ebugged. Changing location of any other item(s) does not have that effect.

I just tested it this morning, it was news to me, too.

--Greebo

I remembered jjscud (I think it was him anyway) posting the procedure when it was discovered.
Greebo has tested, and verified, it to be so.

Edit. pwnt!

The guide looks fantastic! Amazing job, Greebo :thumbsup:

Just one very minor nitpick:

If you do ATMA-ebug your items you need to declare it in your trader profile.

I think the above sentence should be rephrased into something like this:

If you have a trader profile, it should include your stance on ATMA-ebugging items.

The reason I'm suggesting this alteration is because the way it is worded right now might be taken to imply that non-traders who use ATMA-ebug should obligatorily create a trader profile simply to declare their pro ATMA-ebugging stance, which ofc is not the case and would be a nonsense.

Excellent job with the guide, Greebo! Well done.

+1. Everything else that's allowed here has some sort of description or guide to link to... this should as well. Good work, Greebo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High