Project BotD, Phase Two Complete

Hammy

Mar 12, 2010
Project BotD, Phase Two Complete

Having found a pair of Cham runes through some positively nutty luck, I have pressed onward towards making a BotD!

Patriarch Deathly Hamster and the Quest for a Cham

Considering I had no suitable weapon in my stash, I decided to go hunting, which lasted about an hour before I decided it would likely take forever to get a decent ethereal to drop from cows.

And anyway, considering I'll be blowing a Zod rune, it's probably worth getting the best one I can (reasonably) obtain without losing my self-found status.

So, we go back! to the future! Ok, so not the future, more like the second (or third?) movie when they take that snazzy car and end up in the wild west... Anyway, installing 1.07 from discs, please wait...

I hate playing sorcs so much, but I'm also highly impatient, and as they are exceptionally overpowered in 07, I made the standard Static/Orb cookie cutter. I cannot properly express the level of misery that comes from going untwinked with your primary killing skill at 30 in a version with no /players command. Life leech on mercs is broke too, so forget having them tank anything for you (and rez fees scale way quicker). Last time I attempted anything on this level, I ended up quitting for 6 months out of frustration, but considering I didn't have to work nearly hard enough for the runes, I persevered. Here's a rough timeline:

lvl 28 - Normal Ancients... Ding! 30, get Frozen Orb
At this point, impatience had peaked so I skipped Nihlithak (first quest/WP skipped)
lvl 30 - Normal Baal
lvl 30-32 - Run Meph for gear (no mf, bunch of set garbage, but better than what I had)
lvl 33 - NM Andariel
lvl 34 - NM Duriel
lvl 36 - NM Meph
lvl 37 - NM Diablo
Wow, this leveling is SLOW... Other than Nihlithak, up to this point I had done every quest/WP, and still gained roughly one level per act.
lvl 37 - Impatience sets in again, Teleport to Ancients... Kill ancients after about 10 tries, DING! 46!
lvl 47 - NM Baal
lvl 47-50 - NM Cows
At this point, I cracked and crafted myself a 29 MPK ring, which smells an awful lot like cheese, but desperation has skewed my sense of right and wrong. I can assure you that it won't be leaving 1.07.
lvl 50 - Teleport to Hell Andariel
lvl 50 - Teleport through Act II as quickly as possible, Kill Duriel (many deaths)
lvl 50 - Teleport to LK, breathe a huge sigh of relief (now I know why they call it "Breath of the Dying")

This took me two weeks, playing for at least a couple hours nearly every day.

After about 3 hours of flaky rack running, I was rewarded with a consistent War Pike rack.

*dodges incoming stones*

Hear me out here... I know War Pike is not a very popular choice for BotD. As my above Pat post suggests, I was planning on going the GPA route. War Pikes just look so amazing, so I decided to check the feasibility of it, spurred on by my success whirling with a Death Colossus Sword.

Data! Gosh, I love me some data!

I have a spreadsheet (on my work computer) that compares the various eBotD choices in 1.07 weapons and their damage throughout the whirl cycle up to 50 frames (2 seconds). No, the War pike does not come in first, but being an educated reader, you already knew that. Interestingly enough, GPA doesn't come in first either. While they have identical average damage, speed, and range, Ghost Spear comes out ahead due to the "enhanced maximum damage" property of 1.07 ethereals. Ghost Spears have a higher max damage, so a bigger portion of the damage is affected, meaning higher average, but not by much.

However, it's interesting to notice that War Pikes and Ghost Spears are pretty much neck-and-neck in the DPS race over the first second (next time you're whirling, see how many times you actually whirl for more than one second at a time - now see how many of those times you were frozen). Point being, in a controlled whirl, depending on what frame you consider, it can go either way between the War Pike and Ghost Spear. After one second, the Ghost Spear climbs fairly obviously ahead, but I wouldn't say it's drastic.

Anyway, if anyone has any practical experience with such things, or wants to check it themselves and tell me my numbers are wacko, please do. I haven't stuffed runes in it yet. I'll either upload the spreadsheet or post more in-depth data tomorrow when I can get at it.

Anyway, after 2 hours of running the War Pike rack, I was rewarded with:

Superior War Pike
Two-Hand Damage: 90 to 257
Durability: 13 of 13
Required Dexterity: 95
Required Strength: 155
Required Level: 70
Spear Class - Slow Attack Speed
Item Version: Expansion
Item Level: 87
Fingerprint: 0x22569bf8
Ethereal (Cannot be Repaired)
<12% Enhanced Damage, doesn't show on the Flavie>

As an interesting side effect, I have two plain ethereal, one 3-socket ethereal, and one 4-socket ethereal 1.07 War Pikes I would be happy to give away to anyone with an interest in them. Not much to do with them besides make a BotD, but maybe someone can get creative?

Just drop a reply here if you want one, which one you want, and what you intend to use it for (not that I really care, just curious, and I would hope you have some intended use in mind). Then PM me your email, so I know where to send the stash.

The third, final, and hopefully easiest phase of Project BotD will be finding a Vex rune. Unless someone can supply some terribly compelling data to convince me against using a War Pike, that is...

Thanks for reading!

-Hammy

Last edited:
Re: Project BotD, Phase Two Complete

That is one sexy weapon and certainly can't wait to see the big numbers on the weapon when your socket it.

One further thing you can try to get even more damage is to use the cube to socket the weapon, I believe that it adds another roll of eth damage to it or something (not sure of the detail). However you only have a 1/6 chance of getting 6-sockets so it's a really big gamble.

The only reason I'd say to not use the War Pike is because I'm a huge WW fan who don't work well with spears. For a Barb, as your calculations show, you're going to be doing some nice big numbers

One further thing you can try to get even more damage is to use the cube to socket the weapon, I believe that it adds another roll of eth damage to it or something (not sure of the detail). However you only have a 1/6 chance of getting 6-sockets so it's a really big gamble.

That's for armors only. If you cube-socket armors, they get an extra 50% defense. Doesn't work for 1.07 eth armors though (nor for weapons of any version).

Interesting calculations there, Hammy. Can you give some sample numbers? I'd be really interested in what the numbers show...Ghost Spear might not be that bad after all :D

Correct, the additional ethereal bonus only applies to armour. Also, you cannot cube socket superior items, only normal.

Here are some numbers to think about until I get a chance too post real data tonight...

390% (average superior roll) 1.07 weapons:
GPA 338-1026, 682 avg
GS 132-1252, 692 avg
WP 240-1441, 840.5 avg

Using the GPA as a baseline...

At frame 14:
GPA 100%
GS 101.5%
WP 105.9%

At frame 20:
GPA100%
GS 101.5%
WP 98.6%

At frame 26:
GPA 100%
GS 101.5%
WP 102.7%

At frame 50:
GPA 100%
GS 101.5%
WP 92.4%

So you see, it really just depends which frame your last hit check occurs at. Even after a full 2 second whirl, its really not that far removed from the standard.

-Hammy

Doesn't work for 1.07 eth armors though.

The cube socketing recipie does add 50% more defense to 1.07 ethereal armors, but 1.07 does not add the ethereal bonus to the base defense of the armor. Rather, 1.07 gives ethereal armors the magical attribute 50% enhanced defense. This is almost the same as 1.07 ethereal weapons which get a magical attribute of 50% enhanced maximum damage except that each individual armor item contains a variable in its data that says what its defense is. This value does not change between versions and the normal ethereal bonus is never applied. Weapons have their damage set externally by the version files and in modern versions when an item has the ethereal flag set the game automatically increases the displayed damage by 50%. For a weapon from 1.07 this results in a regular ethereal weapon with the additional magical attribute of 50% enhanced maximum damage. When a runeword is socketed this modifier stacks with rather than multiplies with any ehnanced damage on the weapon so you get, for example, an Oath with 340% enhanced minimum damage and 390% enhanced maximum damage.

Back to 1.07 ethereal armors. When you bring the armor forward, unlike with weapons whose damage changes dramatically as the ethereal flag adds 50% more damage, nothing happens to the armors. When you subsequently cube socket the armor the ethereal bonus gets applied for the first time and the defense is increased. The armor still has the magical attribute 50% enhanced maximum defense and has the highest possible defense for a grey armor of that type. (When an armor spawns with the enhanced defense modifier it gets its base defense set to max + 1). For example, a 1.07 ethereal sacred armor after cube socketing would display 1351 defense (a perfect modern sacred armor has 1350 but that is less than 1 in 100 ethereal sacred armors compared to every single 1.07 one having 1351). This is amazing right? Unfortunately no, as this is only for the grey armor which still has the magical attribute 50% enhanced defense. When a runeword, say fortitude, is socketed rather than adding 200% enhanced defense to the 1351 you add 250% enhanced defense to 901. The end result is that 1.07 ethereal armors are greatly inferior to modern counterparts for runewords that have large amounts of enhanced defense (aka. those that you want to use). ;)

Well War Pike isnt that nutty actually if you want some serious damage and not being to let down by not reaching last WW BP.

Have racked my BotD weapon some time ago and this is what I'm going to use

Superior Matriarchal Pike
Two Hand Damage: 90 - 377
Required Level: 60
Required Strength: 122
Required Dexterity: 139
Fingerprint: 0x555f1d52
Version: Expansion
+1 to Javelin and Spear Skills (Amazon Only)
65% Enhanced Damage
+3 to Attack Rating
Ethereal
6 Sockets (0 used)

*encyclopedic knowledge*
Yeah...that's... exactly what I wanted to say! :crazyeyes: My point still stands though:
1.07 eth weapons brought forward = yummy!
1.07 eth armors brought forward = dummy!
:wink:

Well War Pike isnt that nutty actually if you want some serious damage and not being to let down by not reaching last WW BP.

Have racked my BotD weapon some time ago and this is what I'm going to use

Superior Matriarchal Pike
Two Hand Damage: 90 - 377
Required Level: 60
Required Strength: 122
Required Dexterity: 139
Fingerprint: 0x555f1d52
Version: Expansion
+1 to Javelin and Spear Skills (Amazon Only)
65% Enhanced Damage
+3 to Attack Rating
Ethereal
6 Sockets (0 used)

That's a beast! But ... how are you going to whirl with it? :wink:

Fend is kinda like whirlwind,right?

Last edited:
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High