Thursdaily

Trim

Oct 28, 2007
Thursdaily

Getting toward the end of the week. ...Thank goodness!!

RL: Day four at work. I overslept and was late. :doh: However, last week I stuck around for a few extra minutes to help clean up our secondary project and had gained fifteen minutes of unofficial comp time. So I was able to persuade the supervisor to letting me off the hook! :thumbsup: Also got a my bi-annual performance review today. Out of 100, I got a 94, which was the highest review in our department. Hopefully when they start firing people from our department (potentially in three weeks... :\) the big bosses will be taking our evals into consideration.

Gotta pay a bill or two today. I gotta fill out health benefits for work by Monday, too, so I might as well do it today since I'm mailing things anyway. And just because I'm in the mood, I think it's a gigantic burrito day. Yummers.

D2: Not yesterday. Probably not today.

OVG: If I can get the recording to work properly on my computer, I may do some SMRPG videos. But I'm afraid that's a big IF.

Re: Thursdaily

RL: Had to leave work tonight, my minor sniffle has settled down and I have a head cold(I hope). Lovely. No porcine influenza for me please, too much to do. I'll take a cold or bronchitis, to go.

D2: No, still not playing

OVG: Maybe. Or not. Dunno.

RL: Not much. The lecture I prepared this morning ran short (twice). I hate when that happens. I'd much rather run out of time. I even covered two days on the "recommended" syllabus in one day.

DLed/installed Google Chrome. I might stick with it. Good so far. The only thing that I can see that will make/break it is the location of the scroll bar. I need to scroll bar on the left since this is a tablet, and I don't want to have to reach across the screen when I'm in "tablet mode".

Listening to Aimee Mann. I liked the Magnolia music, so I'll see how I like this album. Listening to the Polyphonic Spree a bit, too. DLing Infected Mushroom, an Isreali band. Now listening to Len's Steal My Sunshine.

I really like Aimee Mann's Save Me: video from the dvd release (which I own). Great movie, btw.

D2: Not today.

Last edited:

I hate SNES. I like NES. I collect NES games, Nintendo stopped making new games because of that shiny new console. Give me Metal Gear, Metroid, Battletoads, Blaster Master and SMB3 any day of the week:) I guess this has everything to do with what you played as a kid.

RL: Swine flu is still going strong, but it`s not that bad.

D2: Lots of this yesterday and I expect it to continue today. I wonder how many WSK/Baal runs I`ll be able to do while I`m sick:) Had a couple of really impressive finds yesterday too, and I`m looking forward to reveal the goodness:)

I hate SNES. I like NES. I collect NES games, Nintendo stopped making new games because of that shiny new console. Give me Metal Gear, Metroid, Battletoads, Blaster Master and SMB3 any day of the week:) I guess this has everything to do with what you played as a kid.

Actually, I'm an 80's kid myself, so I'm probably more familiar with the NES than any other system (note the avatar ;)). +1 to Battletoads and Blaster Master (and + a zillion to Thomh for liking, let alone just knowing about, Blaster Master), though I'm a much bigger fan of Super Metroid over the two previous iterations. And give me SMB2 over any of his other platformers. I'm weird like that. :D

Glad you're not comatose from the flu. Get better, eh? :thumbsup:

RL : Working, learning, playing discgolf. Slowly getting used to married life. My wife will start a new job next week, so i have to take over more chores in the house. Well' we will see how good this goes ^^

D2 : Not realy

OVG : A bit trackmania, a bit Battleforge. Same old same old. But as long as there is any daylight, i'd rather be outside throwing frisbees.

Actually, I'm an 80's kid myself, so I'm probably more familiar with the NES than any other system (note the avatar ;)). +1 to Battletoads and Blaster Master (and + a zillion to Thomh for liking, let alone just knowing about, Blaster Master), though I'm a much bigger fan of Super Metroid over the two previous iterations. And give me SMB2 over any of his other platformers. I'm weird like that. :D

Glad you're not comatose from the flu. Get better, eh? :thumbsup:

Interestingly enough, I believe you and I are around the same age, particularly since you knew some of the kids I went to high school with. I prefer the SNES to the NES. Its not that NES had bad game, but I've always preferred 16bit to 8bit. FF1 is probly my second favorite of the series, but FFIV is the best by a mile, and its 16bit. I also prefer Super Metriod (SNES) to the one put out on the 8bit or the gameboy. I never really played Blaster Master, but I remember watching a friend of mine playing that. And a lot of megaman. I've heard that Battletoads is one of the hardest games ever made. I also think ALTTP was better then either of the Zelda games on the NES. And I'm currently playing Breath of Fire on the micro. Its a port of the SNES game, and the only RPG by Capcom that I can think of.

RL: Debating whether I should grab a beer now or wait a bit, huge problems yea I know :)

D2: After my luck in LK (1 Sur and 1 Ber) I'm probably gonna continue that until I'm finished with Sopranos.

OVG: NES ftw! :) I just finished playing through Mega Man 4, the difficulty curve is really steep from MM2-3 to 4. MM2 is still my all-time favorite Mega-Man game though.

Interestingly enough, I believe you and I are around the same age, particularly since you knew some of the kids I went to high school with. I prefer the SNES to the NES. Its not that NES had bad game, but I've always preferred 16bit to 8bit.

A-ha! Therein lies the rub. I never said that the NES was my favorite, only that I'm more familiar with the system since it was the one I grew up with. It's a rare thing when someone names a NES game I don't know. The same can't be said for any other console.

I'll just say that I am really fond of the time when games started to become more involved with upgraded graphics, more buttons for more control and action, and increased content for a deeper game experience. So... of course I'm a big fan of the SNES and its stellar titles. IMO, it's a toss up as to whether the NES or SNES Zelda game is better (OoT and everything following it can rot for all I care). And my love of turn based RPGs will never die. Earthbound for life!

Still. I began my video gaming life with an Atari 2600, so when the NES was released that was a momentous occasion for me, too. MegaMan 3 holds a special place in my heart, but MM2 is just as great. And Battletoads may have been tough, but it's a perfect example of a NES concept: We can't make a game that lasts for multiple hours, so we'll make it brutally hard and the replay value will be immense. Like lots of games of the era, once you memorize how things will play out it's not as hard as it seems initially. Stage three is the first real challenge... but even having not played it in years I'm sure I could make it through without a single mistake. Like how a Zelda game feels vast if you're clueless to what's where, Battletoads is hard if you go in with too little experience.

Wow. Ramble ramble. Or as the Goriya would say from the original Zelda game, GRUMBLE GRUMBLE.

RL: Went for a stroll through the city centre for the first time after 3+ months.

D2: No.

OVG: After all the recent NES and SNES talk I started up Seiken Densetsu 3 :D Never played it before, but I looooooved the first one.

My parents never allowed me to have a NES/SNES back in the early 90's, so I had to rely on my friends. Unfortunately a lot of games didn't make it to the German market back then, so we were limited to the most common ones. Good old times ... :loving:

While on the subject of classic games, there are a whole lot of tributes and parodies on Newgrounds.com. Most are kind of crappy, but some are pure genius. Like this one - awesome gaiden. Actually, most movies by Egoraptor are great, and are about games.

May have strong language and stuff, FYI.

Last edited:

RL: Debating whether I should grab a beer now or wait a bit, huge problems yea I know :)

rotkiV pretty much sums up my entire existence. Woo. :D

RL: Woke up, made coffee, got dressed, read a bit in Jiansonz's Taknasorc thingy (way too hard for me, for sure), job hunted, applied for a job that I'm perfectly qualified for, that will not pay near enough $$ to cover my expenses, and which I'm unlikely to even get any sort of acknowledgment of my application materials. Self-confidence FTW!!! Gogo JayGun! w00t!

upcoming: feel bad about myself, work on NaNoWriMo (hopefully the little guy in my story will finally make it to the beer store today, which should mean that I hit ~26-27000 words, or maybe 25000), grocery run (sorely needed at this point), hopefully stop feeling so bad about myself, eat something (probably burritos) and something else (whatever I pick up at the grocery that sounds good), hulu, maybe a nap, beer, beer, beer, beer, beer, beer, beer, beer, beer, beer, beer, and viel mehr bier.

D2: I sort of have the itch, but who knows.

Unfortunately a lot of games didn't make it to the German market back then, so we were limited to the most common ones. Good old times ... :loving:

Actually you should make that fortunately. I have collected NES games for a long time and nearly all of the games that were kept from us in Europe is horrible. You won`t believe the crap they tried to sell to american kids.

We missed out on a few titles, but the overwhelming majority of games were garbage.

Hm....I think an update to RL is in order.

RL= Mega Man 1-3, good times:)

@Pijus: Ninja Gaiden rocks, big time.

RL Update: the application I spoke of earlier? I just received an email requesting an interview tomorrow, which brightened my mood very slightly. Gogo JayGun, indeed.

RL: I got to see Trans-Siberian Orchestra last night; the wife and I got tickets for each other for our anniversary (7th, btw). Excellent show, a little slow at times; the first half of the show was their album "Christmas Eve & Other Stories" from front to back, which has a lot of narration and decidedly non-rockin' songs (but the instrumentals are of course very tasty). They played a second set from their new album "Night Castle" that was much heavier and more energetic and, most importantly for TSO imo, more instrumental...including a strings-chorus-and-heavy-guitar version of "O Fortuna" from Carmina Burana that quite possibly melted a little piece of my brain.

I also learned that, to my delight, that TSO includes Alex Skolnick on guitar (rock, old-school Testament) and Jeff Plate from Metal Church (who pulled out a blistering, several-minute drum solo in the second set.)

All in all, more fun than I've had since the last time I left my house.

Trans-Siberian Orchestra, if you've never heard them (probably unlikely by now, but just in case.)

D2: Probably going to spend some time in LK, to find a few more good charms (and, hey, maybe a Lo or Ber...but I know better than to expect that) before making my first guardian. I've gotten quite good at not dying with her, just hope I don't screw it up in the last 2½ acts.

OVG: The SNES Zelda, by the way, is definitely the best Zelda, and quite possibly the best game, period, ever. Even though I can finish it, with 20 hearts, in one sitting if given long enough, I still pull it out and run through at least twice a year (Finally got my first "000" save file last time I did...that's no "Save & Exit," no deaths. "Hardcore" LttP, I guess). For all the Euros: Among all of the other games y'all missed, it's a damn shame you guys didn't get Chrono Trigger. My condolences, 14 years late. That is all.

Also, I don't know if I mentioned this (probably not here), but my wife cleaned out her grandmother's basement last week and came home with a working Game Gear + Sonic 2. Might go for some nostalgia before the kid gets home from school.

Last edited:

@JayGun: All right! I'll cross my fingers for you tomorrow. And the lack of mentioning your previous ailments must mean you're feeling better, so awesomeness to that, too!

@Anas: I remember TSO from a while ago. There was an eclectic radio station back home that played some of their songs. Sounds like it was fun.

Agreed about the lack of Chrono Trigger. And Zelda:ALttP is, indeed, great to play. I had a couple buddies where the three of us would sit at a different computer, begin a new game at the same time, and we'd race to see who'd get a 100% completion the fastest (skipping the lvl2 shield and armor was acceptable since they can each be upgraded to a third level). No save warps were allowed, so it was a true single segment. The best time I ever had was a 2h13m run, which at the time was nine minutes longer than the speedrun posted at SDA. Still. We had a lot of fun (and quite a bit of frustration, too).

OVG Update: I didn't even try to mess with getting better recordings today. Instead I installed FFVII on my PC and played that for a couple hours. I'm very flippant like that. :D

RL Update: You all know I talk about gigantic burritos, greasy burgers, and pizza quite a bit. So here's a first for me: When I mailed out my bill today, I stopped off and got myself a salad!! First time evar. Here's to new beginnings! *raises his fruit smoothie for a toast*

Also, I don't know if I mentioned this (probably not here), but my wife cleaned out her grandmother's basement last week and came home with a working Game Gear + Sonic 2. Might go for some nostalgia before the kid gets home from school.

I hope you also have an AC Adapter. 6x AA batteries? Ouch....

OVG: The SNES Zelda, by the way, is definitely the best Zelda, and quite possibly the best game, period, ever.

GG. The good days when I actually played my RPGs/action-RPGs by myself and enjoyed/struggled with the challenges and puzzles.

These days, without an online FAQ/strategy guide, it seems impossible to finish any RPG, let alone complete it at 100%.

I hope you also have an AC Adapter. 6x AA batteries? Ouch....

Yes, there is an adapter, thank Bob. I remember feeding that thing batteries back in the day...

Also, after firing it up, it seems the LCD screen is a little messed (the middle third is much darker than the two outside thirds), but hey, the thing's still playable and almost 20 years old, so...now I just have to hit up some pawnshops and find some old games. Was there anything good for the GG? I enjoyed some Genesis stuff back when (a friend had one, I had a SNES...the only thing I remember regretting not being able to play was Shining Force), but I can't think of any GG games off the top of my head apart from Columns, Shinobi (awful, unsurprisingly), and the Sonics.

GG. The good days when I actually played my RPGs/action-RPGs by myself and enjoyed/struggled with the challenges and puzzles.

These days, without an online FAQ/strategy guide, it seems impossible to finish any RPG, let alone complete it at 100%.

Tell me about it. I think the last RPG I played and genuinely enjoyed was FF3 for SNES (Yes, I'm aware it's the sixth one. My cart says Final Fantasy III. :crazyeyes:), unless I'm forgetting something from PS1 days. But then, I was 11 when A Link to the Past came out up here...that's prime gaming time, lol. Most of the games I still play (D2 excluded) came out before I was in high school.

RL: Yeeeeah, only 2 hours at uni today so I slept till 10 AM (when I woke up my dad was still sleeping - so much about how he takes the dog on a walk every day at 7.30), watched the new South Park and an episode of Dexter before going. Got home 3 hours later and watched an episode of V, before taking some time for studies.

Why can't every day be like this?

D2: Did a few baalruns earlyer, doubt I'll be doing more today.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High