Blova Sorceress Guide (v1.0) by Liquid Circus

Re: Blova Sorceress Guide (v1.0) by Liquid Circus

I see you did not add weapon switch options in the equipment section. The best, of course, is a 'Call to Arms'/Spirit switch. If one doesn't have it, perhaps an alternative would be to use Eschuta's for the Cold Immunes.

Yes, though it's somewhat redundant to mention it, since once you get CtA, you really don't wanna give it up any more, unless it's a Barb you're playing. I wouldn't recommend Eschuta's for CI's though, because the +% dmg is only thrown on top of the mastery +% dmg, which doesn't make much of a difference. Facets are another thing all together. Another option would be to get an MF switch. 4-Ist Monarch with 2-Ist Ali Baba for Baal, anyone?

If one does have a CtA and is not short of runic wealth, perhaps it might better to let the Merc wield an 'Infinity' instad of 'Insight'? Nova is a huge mana hog no doubt about it, but a well-geared Sorc shouldn't be spamming it for long to kill mobs. Max mana/mana per kill items will help alleviate the cost issue. The Conviction aura will give Nova a huge damage boost and ensure that only 1 point is all CM ever needs. Thoughts?
Sure, Conviction is also great for the fact that it works with cold skills too, no need to worry about extra points in Cold Mastery -> more points in synergies. It's also a huge booster of damage for Nova, so you really won't be hurting for mana too much, as you'll kill faster. Besides double-SoJ + CtA equals over 1k mana pool.

Edit: BobTheWarrior pointed out the obvious fact, that most CI's are unbreakable, but then again you should consider that the ones that get their immunities broken, will hurt big time from your cold skills because of the -100ish% enemy cold res from CM. Then again, when the monsters are not immune, they're resistance will always be at least near -100% thanks to the combination of CM and conviction.

What about a point in Frozen Armor, assuming the end-game belt is not Snowclash? I guess the main reason it is not listed is because the build is very tight, skill point-wise.

I haven't even bothered with Frozen Armor with my sorcs for a few years now. If you are in melee range of monsters, you're probably doing something wrong. Instead the merc should be ahead of you at all times. And Snowclash.. well, it's a solid choice, but I myself go for Arachnids most of the time, mostly for the 20% fcr.

Very good guide. A few comments:

I see you did not add weapon switch options in the equipment section. The best, of course, is a 'Call to Arms'/Spirit switch. If one doesn't have it, perhaps an alternative would be to use Eschuta's for the Cold Immunes.
I would recommend a wand with LR charges over Eschuta's. The boost to lightning damage on Eschuta's is added to lightning mastery, resulting in only a very small percentage increase. If you happen to be wearing the 3-part tals setup, having the orb on switch would grant you the -15% enemy resistance.

If one does have a CtA and is not short of runic wealth, perhaps it might better to let the Merc wield an 'Infinity' instad of 'Insight'? Nova is a huge mana hog no doubt about it, but a well-geared Sorc shouldn't be spamming it for long to kill mobs. Max mana/mana per kill items will help alleviate the cost issue. The Conviction aura will give Nova a huge damage boost and ensure that only 1 point is all CM ever needs. Thoughts?
I agree, Infinity is a great choice for any sorceress. It won't help the cold side much as most CI's are unbreakable with Infinity and you should be driving non-immunes resistance far into the negatives with your Cold Mastery anyway, but the Nova side would certainly appreciate it. It would make it possible to run in higher player settings and still put the enemy in stun lock with Nova. Some +mpk 1.07 hax rings would be much appreciated at this point.

What about a point in Frozen Armor, assuming the end-game belt is not Snowclash? I guess the main reason it is not listed is because the build is very tight, skill point-wise.

Exactly. If you have no other weapon switch you could wield an orb with + to the armor of your choice if you so choose, but there are better alternatives (like the ones mentioned above). This build will not likely have very high defense, so the defense boost from the cold armor probably won't help much, only the freezing/chilling effect (and if you're getting hit enough to want this, you're probaby doing something wrong :badteeth:)

Edit: Pwnd by San, at least our responses are the same :grin:

Some +mpk 1.07 hax rings would be much appreciated at this point.
Hmm, did someone call my name? This looks like a strong balanced build and I think I may have to build one now... I need to figure out a vanilla shield option, though.

@purplelocust - Probably Lidless Wall, or Viscurant (sp?) if you want blocking

Infinity would save you a ton of points in CM, definitely, you'd only need 1 point there, freeing up room for more synergies while still bottoming out cold resistances. Personally, I'd probably just use my lightning sorceress if I had an Infinity, but it's the kind of item that helps just about every build,so yes it'd definitely be nice. The increased damage for Nova speaks for itself.

If you want a switch to help out the lightning attack, I'd go Crescent Moon/Spirit or Tal's orb/Spirit if I was wearing 3 part Tal's (as bob pointed out). I think all of us involved used CtA on switch, though, and that would be my preferred switch.

I have a level 96 sorc with Shiver Armor, Stormshield and a Defiance merc. I haven't seen much use for that defense in my time spent with her, and I'd suggest everyone avoid using the armors. If you have to go with one, though, I'd suggest making it Shiver Armor because it freezes enemies when they start to attack you, which provides much better safety than the other two. I'd also suggest you get it from an orb or staff if possible.

For a vanilla option, I'd go with Lidless, easy choice. Blocking puts you in more danger with a Nova build than not blocking and there's no better caster shield for a Vanilla player than Lidless.

I'd go with either static, teleport or Frozen Orb (to boost Glacial Spike and Ice Blast), though I'd lean strongly towards the last one unless I was really low on +skills.

Don't do like me and forget Cold Mastery, though. You want soft level 32.

I'd like to mention Nature's Peace for Baalruns. It helps a LOT with the second wave as you can just Nova down the skeletons and then deal with the Greater Mummies.

I'd like to mention Nature's Peace for Baalruns. It helps a LOT with the second wave as you can just Nova down the skeletons and then deal with the Greater Mummies.

Aye, this is my strategy as well. Works well not only for wave 2 but also for keeping the guest monsters from being resurrected unless your merc gets to them before you do...

Is anyone playing a Blova in 1.13 beta? I'd be interested in knowing whether the Lightning Mastery nerf has hampered the build's usefulness (in comparison to the other major dual-tree sorc builds).

Is anyone playing a Blova in 1.13 beta? I'd be interested in knowing whether the Lightning Mastery nerf has hampered the build's usefulness (in comparison to the other major dual-tree sorc builds).

I've done a few baal-runs. The difference in the Nova damage is noticable on players8. It slows down wave2 by a few seconds. It also slows clearing the throne. You really need to have adequate nova-damage to stun-lock dolls and witches. Around 1500 or so should be enough. It now may take an extra skiller or facet or two, so your Blizz damage may be down slightly. Frankly, the blizz is so overwhelmingly great against minions that its still a great build.

Short version: I think it would still be my choice for baal-runner, but it was certainly stronger in 1.12 than 1.13beta...

I made & mat'd a brand new Blova sorceress in 1.13, wearing a full Tal's set & 2 lightning skiller GCs and 3 rainbow facets worth -12 to enemy lightning resistance. Maybe a Griffin's would put enemies into recovery from Nova more than my current setup on /p8, but for right now it's not as often as I'd like. Never tried a Blova in 1.12, but I'm pretty sure the nerfery caused the effectiveness to fall off significantly. Bummer, this is a major change in 1.13 beta Blizzard could've left out IMO.

Hmm, thanks for the info, guys. I'd probably go with 3 part Tal's with Griffon's and Oculus (I have a -19/14 Griffon's with a -3/5 facet in it), but I'm still lacking lightning skillers. Maybe I'll hold off on trying a Blova until I find a couple lightning skillers and another facet that I can put in the Oculus.

Question about the gear for this build. Vipermagi and Chains of Honor are recommended, but I was curious if perhaps the right Ormus Robes could possibly be better? +15% Lightning/Cold with either +3 Nova or Blizzard? Hard to come by with variables, just curious if it would be worth looking out for or not? (playing 1.13 USWest Sc Ladder)

Avida-

No, not in my opinion. Having + all skills is better than + to a single skill, and for this build you need help on both trees. Being online if you can throw Anni + Torch on top you may be able to better get away with an Ormus, but Vipermagi is much easier to find and a more versatile piece of armor anyway.

I could see making a case for a Nova Ormus if your Nova damage was low, especially if you're running full games, but in general I'd say the additional FCR and resists on Skin of the Vipermagi (or the massive resists and 2 skills on CoH) probably help the overall build more.

That said, if you're noticing your Nova is having problems and have access to a high roll Nova Ormus, definitely give it a shot and see if it helps. We can't cover every situation in a guide (no matter how thorough we may have tried to be) and there's enough variance in item wealth (especially on ladder) for it to be worth your time to test out a few different ideas.

I see absolutely no reason to use a Blizzard Ormus, no matter how well rolled, though. Well, I take that back, you could possibly make a case for it at lower levels before you can finish the skills for Blizz and Nova, giving you the chance to max Nova more quickly if you're under-leveled and wanting to run tougher areas. With both skills maxed, though, I'd give the extra point to Cold Mastery, on top of the + to Nova, etc., from SotVM the nod, and I think CoH is flat out better than Blizz Ormus, no matter what, unless you absolutely have to have FCR on the armor and somehow don't have a SotVM.

I recently made a Blova sorc. I used a Shako on the head, as a griffon's has eluded me. It was a fun build, but on players8, the Nova was very underwhelming. My damage for Nova was around 1783. I wish I would have found this guide when I done my Blova, as it is excellent, especially the images of damage and the YouTube videos.

I do have a +3 Nova Ormus that I thought about using, but I used an upped SoVM with a 15 resist all jewel. I have considered doing a Nova/Fireball build using the Ormus I mentioned and an Eschuta's, both with pretty good additional damage in both trees. With so many fire immunes, I just don't know how fun a players8 game would be trying to widdle them down with a weakass Nova. If I could find a Griffons and socket it with a lightning facet I might try that build. After playing a Barb for the first time, I am not going to make another character that can't handle everything at P8.

I went back and played my Blova a little bit. If I could get a few more lightning skillers and a Griffons's I could really get back into playing her. I did not realize how much better Ice Blast would be to use than Glacial spike. I guess I kinda went with spike because of the Snowclash giving a +3 to it. I do have an Arachnids I could replace it with, but I am hitting the 105% FCR already with HOTO, SoVM, and perfect Spririt. The +1 would help Nova and Ice Blast, but I would lose one point in Blizzard, but I have a cold skiller I could use to make that up as well as further help Ice blast. I dont ever use use the Chilling Armor on Snowclash anyway. Using a Spirit, she cant take a hit for nothing, so even with it active its of little use. Does the slows target on the Arachids help any on a sorc?

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High