Which armor is better for Merc?

sudkamp

Nov 10, 2007
Which armor is better for Merc?

My choices are an upgraded Shaftstop vs 700 base def sacred armor (use stone runeword makes it 3000 defense I heard???)

Conditions
- For a Normal Act 2 Defiance Mercenary.
- Used for MF exclusive runs mephisto/andariel

With the defiance aura, I would imagine the stone runeword would make the merc pretty hard to hit. However the damage reduction from shaftstop also sounds appealing.

I think both an Um rune ish.

Thanks for tips.

Re: Which armor is better for Merc?

What character is this for?

Can an Act 2 merc wear a Sacred Armor?

What else is he using?

umm Kelpie and Kiras/Andariel Visage helm

Actually any glitched armor doesnt have to be sacred.

I'd pick the shaftstop. Ethereal and upgraded would be awesome.

I'm pretty sure the main thing that destroys mercenaries is Andy and her attacks. They don't seem to be defense rating based for the really hard hitting ones. So DR% is great, as is super quick teleporting to keep your mercenary from mindlessly standing there taking a beating.

Actually any glitched armor doesnt have to be sacred.
Wait... so you don't actually have the armour for the stone then? Or you just happen to have a few choices of glitched/able ones sitting around?

As such, gotta ask, do you have the shaft?

If you don't have either and you just want to know what to trade for... eth gbane is my merc armour of choice for mercs that are mostly there to tank. CBF, big armour, huge FHR, noticable MDR/PDR... totally beats Shaft into the ground. I take non-eth over shaft too. If you don't have the levels for it, just use something cheap like non-upped shaft in the meantime. Treachery (in anything... high def = harder to hit, low def = more fade) if they're there to kill...IAS is obviously huge, plus fade reduces decrep time, so doing things like baals with a Blizz sorc it *REALLY* helps on the CIs.

If you have your upped shaft, I'd still consider trading it in for one of the above two, but combinations of lazy&fairly minimal gains would likely prevent me... the other two are better, but honestly it's not like an occaisional merc death is that big a deal, and it won't die too often with upped shaft. I definitely wouldn't bother trying to get a Stone.

If you have armours to make Stone already, I'd probably use it over shaft. Just because it's neat.

Also: I never pick kelpie over reapers. But if I did, there's no way in hell I'd ever put Andy's mask with it.

Also: I never pick kelpie over reapers. But if I did, there's no way in hell I'd ever put Andy's mask with it.

Why not?

pretty much doesnt make any difference

both are top end choices :)

Because the only place Kelpie is even close to Reapers is on meph (where Reaper's is still better imo).
Mercs don't leech on meph.
Mercs damage doesn't help on meph.
So the IAS is a mild waste (still more pokes for slow so not complete), and the leech is a waste, and what else does it have going for it?
For meph hat choices are:
-blackhorns, if you have CBF, this can't be beat
-something with CBF, so he doesn't get chilled and slow is up more often
-something resisty and lifey... the Kiras is a fine choice, just the Andys confuses me

And even on things that aren't meph... IAS and leech are both more effective with higher damage weapons, which Kelpie is not. My solution to keeping a merc alive with bad damage isn't to add leech, it's to make his armour good.

If I failed to make sense, it's because I've been up for 27 hours now.

If you can get a Lo rune, pretty hard to beat a glitched hi def Fortitude. Pretty easy to get >3K def on the runeworded armor.

Because the only place Kelpie is even close to Reapers is on meph (where Reaper's is still better imo).
Mercs don't leech on meph.
Mercs damage doesn't help on meph.
So the IAS is a mild waste (still more pokes for slow so not complete), and the leech is a waste, and what else does it have going for it?
For meph hat choices are:
-blackhorns, if you have CBF, this can't be beat
-something with CBF, so he doesn't get chilled and slow is up more often
-something resisty and lifey... the Kiras is a fine choice, just the Andys confuses me

And even on things that aren't meph... IAS and leech are both more effective with higher damage weapons, which Kelpie is not. My solution to keeping a merc alive with bad damage isn't to add leech, it's to make his armour good.

It makes a lot of sense. I was just trying to figure out why I had the terrible combination on my mercenary.
The extra poison res didn't make him any more of a tank for Andy.

So, it must have been used to switch out Kelpie for Insight CV when I was MFing...Maybe. I'm just too lazy to take it off now.

Don't mercs take like 10x damage from Act Bosses? Wouldn't that mean that a shaft would factor it's DR in against 1000% and make it basically worthless?

I've always heard the above, and honestly I've gotta go with Mousey here. Eth GBane is beastly, Eth Elite armor you socket is awesome as well. If you get 3 sockets you treach that bad larry up, 4 sockets and it's a fine stone.

Cheers
-Tai

Yeah, I am only using this sorc for Andy/Meph. Trading is a big problem in Asia realm. Not too fluent in korean.

I have the Shaft atm, and using it. Before I was using treachery/duress, and they just totally suxed vs Andy/Meph, fade never kicks in (2% chance).

Your right I have the glitchable armors available, but havent found Gladiators bane yet.
The shaft is okay (iwth kiras), but theres ogtta be something betetr. Like I said I dont plan on using this sorc other than Andy/Meph, until i get half decent gear.

Goooo Peasant Hat and Bladebuckle.

Also what makes GBane so attractive (non eth version)

+150-200% Enhanced Defense (varies)
+50 Defense
Cannot Be Frozen
30% Faster Hit Recovery
Poison Length Reduced By 50%
Attacker Takes Damage Of 20
Damage Reduced By 15-20 (varies)
Magic Damage Reduced By 15-20 (varies)

Does the Magic Damage, and damage reduced by 20 actually do much. Do I need to socket everything with SOL runes. POison length reduction be nice.

Don't mercs take like 10x damage from Act Bosses? Wouldn't that mean that a shaft would factor it's DR in against 1000% and make it basically worthless?

I've always heard the above, and honestly I've gotta go with Mousey here. Eth GBane is beastly, Eth Elite armor you socket is awesome as well. If you get 3 sockets you treach that bad larry up, 4 sockets and it's a fine stone.

Cheers
-Tai

It looked like Mephisto was easily pumping out 250-800 damage against my mercenary. Enough to smack him to half life(2.1k life) pretty fast.

30-50%DR would be really nice, I think. If you not quite at or over Mephisto's level (mlvl 87) then defense certainly won't play a huge part unless you can manage tons. Once you get to his level and over defense can be quite effective.

Given that Shaftstop and Vampire Gaze are both great DR% items and both have a good amount of defense it's a good setup for running Bosses.

Or you'll just noob out like I do and stick with Kelpie and Andariels Visage and Smoke Boneweave...

Well, since you have both choices essentially available, I'd suggest making the Stone.
At the very least you can try it and see if you prefer it. If it turns out you don't... well presumably if you have an MF sorc you're going to want to build another character eventually, so having an extra merc armour sitting around isn't really a loss.

Especially since you say trading is slow there... no sense having perfectly glitchable armours sitting around rotting.

I would like to note two things though:
1) If you're lowish level, it doesn't matter what your merc's got, Meph will kill him. He won't hit often enough to keep the slow consistent, and he won't avoid hits often enough to stay alive. This is doubly true if your damage isn't that hot, as obviously the longer the fight the more damage the merc has to sustain. I often run Meph mercless until the mid 80s... a couple seconds spent dodging instead of killing vs a couple seconds spent running over to res him + a bunch of gold that could be handy for gambling.
2) Even if you're highish level, Andy eats mercs for breakfast. I dunno, I don't run Andy much if ever because it doesn't seem like either the time:reward or risk:reward are very good so I haven't really experimented with the best way to keep the merc up vs her, but I'm yet to try a setup that seems to work all that well.
Hell, even my singer barb, who was capable of providing solid BO&shout to the merc, and hitting Andy with Battle Cry for massively reduced damage, and tanking andy himself, had trouble keeping the merc up through the run.

I have the Shaft atm, and using it. Before I was using treachery/duress, and they just totally suxed vs Andy/Meph, fade never kicks in (2% chance).
Yeah, Treachery is definitely not my first choice for meph running unless I've got CTA or a BO barb, in which case the merc should be ok anyways and he'll poke that much faster.

The other choice I forgot to mention is Durry's shell. I'd never up or Um a regular one, but it's good enough the way it is with the life/res/str/cbf that given the choice between a regular durry's and a regular shaft, I'd take Durry's pretty much every time. An eth one is totally worth applying runes to, especially if you've got CV insight/infinity strength requirements to worry about.

Also what makes GBane so attractive (non eth version)
Damage Reduced By 15-20 (varies)
Magic Damage Reduced By 15-20 (varies)

Does the Magic Damage, and damage reduced by 20 actually do much
Yes.
Yes it does.

And no, you don't need Sols.

I haven't really experimented with the best way to keep the merc up vs her, but I'm yet to try a setup that seems to work all that well.

Best bet is to use the DR% setup and just make sure to get in her face and spam static until half life, then back off and do the Tele-Orb-Tele dance. A super high damage and Life Tap would probably work...maybe... But nobody wants to keep a wand on switch...

If your mercenary can't handle the static part, just stick with the Tele-Orb-Tele dance. I do this when Amplify Damage gets cast on the merc and sorceress.

If you time it correctly, you can cast Orb and Teleport...and She will walk around the same speed as the Orb is *inside* of her, this causes some nice extra damage. Extra damage is awesome, right? As Mouse said, faster killing = less chance of merc dying.

It shouldn't be too hard. I do the same thing with my crap classic sorceress when I can't be bothered to stand there and tank+static...

Andy does drop neat stuff from time to time. I mostly did the runs the extend the game time as to maybe avoid temp bans. The monsters packs in Catacombs 4 also drop Full Rejuvenation potions so you can refill after spending a few on yourself+mercenary here and there.

If your mercenary can't handle the static part, just stick with the Tele-Orb-Tele dance.
Works for orb for sure, when I said Andy eats mercs I meant it in the context of "if you aren't keeping it beside you and away from her". If all you're doing is playing keep away it doesn't really matter what he's wearing, right? And if you're playing something like Orb/FB, the FB mows her down so incredibly fast that you don't need to bother playing keep away even.

Funny thing about the barb described above is that he had more trouble with keeping the godly merc with shout/bo alive vs andy than a fairly ghetto orber would as he had to get into melee range on her to kill her. Same sort of trouble with Blizz sorcies... you can try to teleport around in a circle to keep her centered in some stacked Blizzards, but it's soooooo much slower than just standing on top of her and tanking it and spamming IB inbetween.

Same thing goes with my comment on meph too.
It's quite possible to keep your merc up between runs if you're porting in place to keep him back and porting to dodge spell casts. It's just that in either case, having the merc really doesn't offer nearly the same benefits, so when he does eventually die I don't consider it a good use of time to bother resing him... if he can't hold the boss in place, and I have to babysit, the auras are kind of nice but the runs are at least the same speed, but with a higher gold cost.

Andy does drop neat stuff from time to time.
Clearly. It's just that if an andy run takes 30 seconds more than a meph run, and a meph run drops more neat things, I'd rather just create a new game and do meph again with that extra 30 seconds. This is mostly just preference though.

I mostly did the runs the extend the game time as to maybe avoid temp bans.
Something I can't believe I didn't learn until this season:
Although bans restrict your IP from logging on, determining who gets banned is based on what your CD key is doing rather than your IP. I think this is the sort of information that has been common knowledge for a while, it's just that it's more applicable to botters than normal people so I'd never found out about it. I believe Treb had mentioned he didn't know about it until this season as well.

So yeah, although I used to do things to try to slow games down (eg AT/E/S/P with mephers, or CS/Meph with baalers) it's not something that really applies to me any more. I was doing ~70 nihl runs/hour for 3-4 hours straight without a single ban this season ~_~

This still applies, by the way. I had an assignment I thought was due Monday and it turned out it was due today. So basically I woke up Thursday, spent the entire day working on it, and finished right before it was time to go to school. Then after school I had my friend's birthday to attend to, and I just got back a couple hours ago. And now I'm just way too wired on caffiene to sleep.

My sorc's merc uses a SolSol CoA, Sol eth GBane, and eth Insight Reaper. He doesn't really take damage.

Lucky

those underrated runes help a lot with added resistance. Ancient' pledge zakarum shield ftw!

Personally, I am a fan of Glad Bane as well. Its stats are just to awesome, save for the rlvl 85.

My common setup is Insight/Glads/Vamp. However it lacks on res so you can chuck an Um in helm or armor, and use the other socket for IAS/Sol/Shael/Jewel/whatever.

I go for survivability with my Merc's, not so much damage (just well enough to leech). They way I figure it they are just there for support, not superomgdamage, so they just need to stay alive to provide a tank/aura.

Hi guys, I would like to report back on my progress.

Here is some of my observation:

- For Mephisto only runs Kelpie>Reapers Toll. Reaper's Toll is still decent, but Kelpie will keep him alive longer, assuming you are just standing still.

- For Mephisto only runs, your right, CBF is a very important mod. He can get screwed over and his attack speeds slows down too much if he doesnt have this.

- For Andariel runs, I find Reapers Toll > Kelpie. Particularly when things get really mobby.

- Defiance Merc > Holy Freeze for Mephisto/Andy runs for sure... No doubt in my mind.

- For general PVM I am using the following setup
1. Insight Cryptic Axe doesnt need much str
2. Vamp Gaze + Um
3. Archon Plate Duress
4. Defiance Merc

I have no idea why merc dies quicker on a 4k+ defense stone merc. Apparently Duress > Stone armor. The merc just lives longer. I really dont know why, he seems to be leeching life faster wearing duress. Doesn't really make sense.

Anyway thats from my experimentation hope this helps others, when deciding mercs for mfing and pvm.

Gladiator bane is also damn good but u might need 2 um runes to make up resistance.

Last edited:
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High