The Gandhi Tournament

Code:
[u][b]Player           Build       Character Name    Level       Furthest Point[/b][/u]
Quietus            Paladin     ThornBush           20        Kurast Docks
RickC              Necromancer Bandd               16        Dry Hills
Quickdeath         Paladin     Gandhi II           12        Lut Gholein
A1cme3             Paladin     Swiss Cider         15        Black Marsh
Scatha             Barbarian   Brick Wall          13        Tristram
Sir Lister Of Smeg Necromancer Eddie               8         Stony Field
Uzziah             Paladin     No_Arms             4         Stony Field
Docturnal          Sorceress   Theresa             1         Rogue Encampment
Arentol            Paladin     Draught             1         Rogue Encampment
adzicents          Paladin     Unscathed           1         Rogue Encampment
newco              Paladin     SpankMeHard         1         Rogue Encampment
NecSin             Paladin     SticksnStones       1         Rogue Encampment

[u][B]Our fallen comrades[/B][/u]
AJK                Sorceress   TheOtherCheek       19        Canyon of the Magi
Fists of War       Paladin     Patience            12        DEAD

I've been advancing slowly (having finished the Harry Potter book ...). I've now got ATD of 20 from my shield (2 flawed, 1 chipped skull. Running shrines to find gem shrines is dull, but I still think it was worth it for the increase in killing speed. May do so again at some point when I decide the shield needs an upgrade), and a 40% chance of slvl3 charged bolt when struck, along with a 5% chance of slvl 3 frost nova.

Taunt is an amazing skill; for mana considerations I don't generally use it on most mêlée monsters, but anyone with a special attack is running straight up to me. The underground passage didn't have any ranged attackers (well, it had Misshapen and Shamans, but they also have a mêlée attack which they can be taunted into using) so I took it at /players 8 and gained three levels there. The Dark Forest likewise had only shamans quill beasts of some kind for ranged attackers, so players 8 there too. Treefist & co made me drink a few potions, but went down quickly enough for all that.

I switched to /players 1 for Tristram because I knew there would be skeleton archers there, which would be a hassle on higher player settings. Here I just used taunt to get them all to fire at me from point blank range and in return present targets for the released charged bolts. Easy game. I haven't used Howl much, simply because I haven't felt threatened.

Eddie continued a bit further, and must now agree on the tainted problem.He did manage to clear the whole underground passage level 2, but at level 1 he had to skip a lot and run away from the tainted. At some point I lowered the players setting to 5, since it was becoming too slow. He reached the Dark Wood waypoint after finding the Scroll Of Innifus, but did not manage to kill Treehead. The next plan is to head back into the blood moor a few times until finding enough gem shrines. I think by now he should be able to use normal quality skulls, so he'd better get a shield with them. Next level brings bone wall and iron maiden, let's see how that works out, if he gets that far, he had already quite a few NDE's and I keep forgetting to use dim vision were needed.

Code:
[u][b]Player           Build       Character Name    Level       Furthest Point[/b][/u]
Sir Lister Of Smeg Necromancer Eddie              11         Dark Wood

This posting is genuinely creepy. Reminds me of "Heart of Darkness". The flayer jungle sounds miserable....

Thank you, I was aiming for a creepy feel to it.

Think I'll be playing a bit more tonight.. should be interesting to see what happens now. Part of me is screaming "Take it to Guardian!"... but I'm not sure if that's possible. Find out eventually, I suppose.

My next update will be either when I die, or when I beat Meph.

::Edit:: Anyone have suggestions where to hunt for Hwanin's armor?

Code:
Sir Lister Of Smeg Necromancer Eddie              11         Dark Wood
JayPizzle          Necromancer Wooo        4         Cold Plains

[/QUOTE]

Progress has been very slow so far. It took forever just to find some ATD items. Once I finally did the monsters only had a 10-20% chance to hit me in the blood moore. The Den took a while to clear but once I started running around the monsters they hit me more often and thus died faster. I'll post again after I've made some decent progress.

Code:
Quietus            Paladin     ThornBush           23        Killed by Mephisto
Sir Lister Of Smeg Necromancer Eddie               11        Dark Wood
JayPizzle          Necromancer Wooo                4         Cold Plains

The fetid swamps posed a great threat - first, in the form of the natives protecting their land via blowguns, and I was unable to approach and make peace. Beyond them, I discovered other creatures native to the lands, and worse, the shambling corpses of those before me. Ghostly creatures that flitted through swamp gas shocked me on a regular basis, but at least these strange, unnatural creatures could be turned to my cause.

Further into the jungles, I found more of the unusually short natives, these ones armed with knives and tiny spears - as they had to approach me to attack, I preached my way of peace to them, and one by one they halted their attacks. Delving into their underground tunnels, I found more of the same - both those armed with blowguns, unwilling to listen, and those who were more amenable to my cause. Down here, however, I would find dark shapes that assaulted me as I pushed my way through hanging roots and vines, making their best attempt at ending my presence. Over time, they too joined my cause, and after searching my way through the maze these ingenius beings created, I found what I came for : the preserved brain of the holy man Khalim.

Returning to town, I used the ancient "waypoints" to return to the fetid jungle. Most of those that lived here had seen the Light, so my march forward was unhindered. Finally, I saw it : The gates that led to the once-glorious city, Kurast! As I ran towards them, seeking solace from the jungle, the trees themselves leapt to life, and began pummelling me. With each swing, I redoubled my prayers, hoping that the Light would let them see the error of their ways before I ran out of healing salves. Gloriously, my prayers were answered, and the last of the tree-protectors faded back into the forest; The path to Kurast had opened to me!

The citizens of Kurast, however, were less than pleased to see me. With their pole-weapons in hand, I had to fight them off in droves; the mad look in their eyes told me that they weren't doing this of their own accord, they were possessed by something.. and these suspicions were proven correct when they fled after my preachings. They would return, however, the terrible sadness still in their eyes as they continued to swing their weapons, cutting into my flesh; These were people who could be saved, and by the Light, each one of them that I found was censured of their demons, and turned to the Light.

As I made my way through the streets of the now-ruined Kurast, I stopped to search for a book Alkor had requested. Inside one of the Ruined Temples I came across, I could feel the taint in the air.. proceeding slowly, I suddenly found myself surrounded by dozens of women, with the same crazed look as the citizens of Kurast had possessed. The demon must have had a stronger hold on them, as they never stopped their attacks, not even for a moment, until I was able to finally break through the hold he had on them. Collecting the book I'd been sent for, I headed back to the ruins of Kurast, to find my next target : The Kurast Sewers.

My trip to the sewers was thankfully brief; The smell down there would have made rotting corpses smell pleasing. Many misguided people can be shown the way, but there is no converting raw stink. I saw no one down here, unsurprisingly, just a small pack of batlike creatures who ignored my presence entirely. Retrieving the heart of Khalim, I made haste to return to the city, and get some fresh air.

The trip through the rest of Kurast was similar to everything else I've described, so I'll skip forward to the Travincal, the steppes of the temple itself. I found many unusual creatures here, more of the four-armed beasts I encountered in the sands around Lut Golein, as well as many of the vampiric creatures I'd encountered many times before - these ones nearly surprised me by summoning meteors from the heavens to strike me down! I was able to convert all of these, however, and many more of the zakarumites I encountered, and then the biggest challenge I had faced yet :

The High Council.

I'll be honest, coming up to the temple itself, I wasn't sure what to expect. I knew the high council had been corrupted, but I wasn't prepared to see the twisted forms that Mephisto had given them as "reward" for their service, nor was I prepared when they began summoning dragons of flame from the ground itself, cracking the earth open to let these beasts loose, who spat fire at me while I preached my ways. Avoiding the flames, I found that those beasts would eventually return from whence they came, so I could focus my attention on the council themselves. It took a great deal of effort, but after a lot of work, I was able to sway them with my nonviolent ways. One of them gave me the final relic I was looking for, Khalim's Flail, and by combining the flail with the portions of Khalim himself, I was able to break open the Compelling Orb, and make my way down into the depths of the temple.

The stench of demons inside the building was stifling. What shocked me, however, was that I met none on my way down - I'd heard stories of the sorts of mazes the temple contains, but I found it easy to navigate, and the path deeper into the temple was always just around the corner. When I took the second set of stairs, however, and reached the third level of this Durance of Hate, I could hardly breathe. The feel of Mephisto's presence was like walking into a wall of pure, unmitigated malice. Steeling myself for the upcoming battle, I forged forward, meeting more of Mephisto's twisted high priests, and bringing them out of the state that Mephisto had put them in.

Finally, I made it : Mephisto himself. He and I stared at one another for a long time, him trying to determine how a pacifist such as myself could make it this far, and me.. I was attempting to comprehend his form. That massive skeletal body, seeming to float in midair on a cloud of mist that was produced from nowhere... it made no sense to me at all, but I managed to shake off the shock. Steeling myself, I stepped forward, and prepared to show Mephisto, the first of the Prime Evils, the power of pacifism.. only to watch in horror as he summoned the spirit of one of his victims in the form of a skull that he sent screaming through the air at me, crashing into my chest and knocking me from my feet. After applying some of my healing salve, I picked myself up, and approached Mephisto, only to find that the mist that supports his body was created from poisonous gases. Trying to steel myself further, I felt my resolve slowly slipping away, faster than my salves could help. I could feel Mephisto's claws biting into me, and knew that he, too, could feel the strength that I drew from the Light in return, but in the end, it was not enough. My salves had run out, and Mephisto's evil had proven too much for me. I've maintained my ways, however, and with my final breath, I pray that though my strength of will was not enough, that the Light protect me, and not let Mephisto turn me to his purposes.

R.I.P.
ThornBush

Last edited:
Thank you... it's a shame, but holy crap he was hitting hard.

I don't post normally, I am just one of the lurky reader types.
Anyway this wee tourney sparked my interest, so much that i started a paladin... and by level ten was bored so abandoned him.
Then I started a sorceress, and this was FUN! (and challenging in HC).
It took me three runs through the blood moor to get enough coinage to by a sash with ATD:1. Then we kicked off on players 5. The reason for this is i would be doing one point of damage each time something wants to take a chunk out of my poor wee sorc and I didn't know how she would stand up to it. I shouldnt have worried.
Whilst i found just two chipped skull i found four rubies this was great. So the skulls sent into a small sheild and the rubies into a cap and leather armour (once i had the strength). So with a nice buffer of life i went out inspire suicide.
The cold armour kept things manageable freezing them and slowing the rate at which i lost life.
Tainted and archers were unpleasant to say the least, i had to run.
Treehead woodfist was my first NDE, he and his budies hit faster than my drinking habit could handle, luckily one of them died before I did and the rate of loss of life went down a little.
On my way to Andy I found Stoutnail! This is perfect for this tourney, ATD:10 vitality, marvelous! And got shiver armour, now we were cooking!
Got there parked the tainted and tanked (I know!) Andariel by chugging potions by the inventory full. She gave me a skull.
Radamant was ok but his mages were not! they had to be taken away and abandoned. The reviver guys (think Achmel) and spear cats were also nasty, the former kept wanting to breathe on me rather than kill themselves.
The snakes and scarabs were fine no problems there, and duriel just had a lot of life to whittle away. Good times (and a Duskdeep) later we find ourselves in kurast having fled from the council as cold enchanted means cold resistant and that guy is healing mighty fast. Even with a +3 shiver armour prebuff staff.
I know I'll get though him but reading about Meph makes me think i had better get a bit of resistances sorted out before I try that on for size. (Lvl25)

Wow, that Stoutnail was a nice find. Good job! :D

I'm amazed you could beat Duriel so easily with a sorc, I thought he was pretty much cold immune?

I'd thought about taking a sorc, but that was what put me off.

I'm amazed you could beat Duriel so easily with a sorc, I thought he was pretty much cold immune?

I'd thought about taking a sorc, but that was what put me off.
Easily is maybe not the right word, but he can be killed with cold armor. He's resistant, luckily not immune in normal. My cold armor dealt ~50 points of damage and I managed to get duri down to half health with it. That took ~10 town trips, so he would have gone down in ~20. He hits quite hard, so guzzling cold potions (which I neglected to do :duh: ) and keeping a TP up at all times is necessary.

Also, RIP ThornBush. You did an amazing job there nonetheless, Quietus!

Wow, RIP Thornbush, great job!

I wonder how far one could get with a build like this. Obviously, you CAN kill mephisto, since he has an melee attack.

All units from the CS seals have a melee attack aswell, just as Diablo, correct?

The Ancients however, I'm very unsure of. Madawc only have his ranged attack IIRC, and I doubt that it would be possible to kill him using ctc items untwinked. Any ideas?

Diablo has his charge-and-swat attack... killing him would be ridiculously difficult. Madawc, however, would be immune to thorns - a sorceress could take him with her ranged-attack triggering shield, though. Of course, how SAFE it is to do that .... You'd want to stack up damage reduced and magic damage reduced gear to take as little damage as possible per hit.

Sad to hear about Thornbush. A valiant effort indeed.

Code:
Scatha             Barbarian   Brick Wall          16        Dry Hills

I went through most of the rest of the act at players 1, again ramping it up when there was an area with no ranged-only attackers. Taunt (now reducing enemy damage by 25%) makes vampires and tainted type monsters a walkover - it just gets tricky when there are champions or uniques.

Andariel was easy. I went to town a couple of time to replenish my potions, but 400-odd life there didn't feel any danger of dying. I've been taking advantage of the Act II shops to get myself some better gear - notably the "12% chance to cast level 4 charged bolt when struck" affix. I don't have any decent weapons (any ideas? Wand with charges of Confuse is the best I can think of, but I'm not sure if Drognan sells them) or jewelry, but not sure what to do about this. I think I'll make a dash for the cube next because that will give extra equipment options. Not sure what my strategy then will be. The best bet might be to run gem shrines to get perfect skulls for a shield or perfect sapphires for crafting Hit Power items, but that would be very dull and I want to avoid it if I can come up with a reasonable alternative.

I'm certain that I can manage Duriel with this character. Crowd control, as mentioned before, is excellent, and by the time I get to the big bug I'll have even more life, be doing more damage in return, have Battle Cry and if I've taken things slowly Battle Orders for stupid amounts of life.

I'd like some "Damage reduced by X" equipment. I've got DR by 1 on my armour but no CTC stuff there, but some more would be good. A Sol rune would probably be even better for this character than an Amn rune (not that I'm likely to see either any time soon). Am I right in thinking that this works the way I want it to with Taunt? Damage done = (monster damage * 75%) - X, rather than Damage done = (monster damage - X) * 75% ?

I've found several things out.
1) antidote potions are your friend.
2) rubies shoved into available sockets are your friend.
3) Stygian dolls, council members, vampire type critters and mephisto are not anyone's friends!

The final cold armour offered me a way to deal with ranged attackers but the damage was pitiful. Even when sitting on a stack of hydrae cast by council members, the flurry of icebolts that flew out (in the direction of the incoming projectile) was completely inadequate to deal with council members. I had to do it the old "lead him away by himself and have them kill themselves one by one" trick. I switched out my old skull and chipped skull sheild for a rainbow large sheild as my cold armour hurts them even when I block and i needed the resists. Eventually (about 35 minutes) later I killed the council. And was rewarded with gold and things to sell.

The durances gave me some challenges, vampires were very hard to entice to kill themselves (damned cold resistant....) and dolls were very easy damned near taking me with them twice. When I made it to level three bremm sparkfist was a charming conviction LE which I very quickly realised I could NOT tank. Some running and teleporting ensued to park him. In my "wisdom" i thought i should try to kill the other two council type guys there, nope that was not going to happen either XF XS is not a combination I could handle with meteors, fireballs and fire walls popping on top of me at the same time. Ouch. So we parked him too.

At this point i have one charm with 9 life, duskdeep, a +3 shiver armour staff on switch, a three socket breastplate with two flawed and a normal ruby, Hsarus boots, stoutnail, a rainbow large sheild, a rare belt of with lightning and poison res and FHR, rings with resist lightning and poison and an amulet with resist cold and some gold find.
We loaded up with all the rejuvs i had saved and cubed, plenty (or so i thought) of antidote potions and a lot of red food coloring. And went for it (/players 1 as I had no illusions about my combat ability). It took ages (more than the council). I got cold balled twice and wow that was close. If i had not been on near full health both times it would have been deeds. I stayed point blank as i found that i was not given the cold ball-o-doom just lightninged and poisoned.
The rejuvs did not last long at all, nor did the antidote potions and countless trips to town later he fell over giving me gold and garbage! I was a bit dissapointed, so i tried the chest behind him and had to run from the vampire guys there! I just killed Meph and had to run from normal monsters! Painbringer - Lvl26.

So we have a char in act4 now? Wow, great job! It will be fun to see if you can handle the seals (I doubt it, sorry), and if you can, then how to possibly kill diablo. Frozenarmor vs diablo would possibly be the longest battle ever, remember to have ALOT of gold for TP's and Potions if you get to him.

Code:

newco              Paladin     SpankMeHard         11        tamo highlands

SpankMeHard got spanked hard by a bunch of cold enchanted spear maidens. Sometimes pacifism doesn't pay out :cry: .

Actually i think I'' have my arse handed to me by Izual (as he's quite ok with cold) let alone de seis and the balrogs (i think they will prefer infernoing me rather than beating on me). Whimper.

Well Izual died in 45 minutes. With a close call where my attention wandered. Four trips trips to town, and i got a rare barb helm for my troubles... joy.
What I wouldnt give for a glacial amulet of life everlasting or the whale... damn this will get very slow very soon, I take what I said before back to a degree: As long as i survive the initial rush i should be able to kill off the venom lords from the seal but if OK's decide not to go hand to hand things will get tough, best not to think about Big Red.

Congrats to Thalidamide on beating Duriel. You've also won! GG! And its great that you've made it to A4.

Condolences to Quietus on the loss of Thornbush - but, well done!

Also R.I.P. to Newco's Spankmehard!

Hey, this may not be the greatest tournament ever, but we win the prize for "Most effort needed to reach Level 2! "

Code: