The "Six of One, Half-Dozen of Another" Tournament der=0

skunkbelly

Nov 13, 2003
The "Six of One, Half-Dozen of Another" Tournament

I was planning to host something much more grand than this, but I just don't have the energy right now... it's going to take a bunch of work on my part, and I'd rather wait till later in the year. But in the meantime, here's a little diversion...

The “Six of One, Half Dozen of Another†Tournament

The number six rules this tournament. So much so, in fact, that there are exactly six main rules, and exactly six other minor rules.

1. You may play any character class and build you wish, but you may only place points into a total of six skills. This *includes* prerequisites. (Note: there are a handful of skills that will only be available through the use of items or runewords).

2. You may only assign skill points when your level is a multiple of six. When you reach that level, you must spend ALL available skill points immediately.

3. You may equip no more than six pieces of equipment at a time. What those pieces are is up to you, and you may change them at will. Any weapon or shield in the switch position *counts* towards your six item total.

4. All items equipped must include a multiple of six somewhere in their item description. Examples of this might include a weapon with +6 to maximum damage, a shield with defense of 18, an amulet with +24 to lightning resistance, etc. Charms are not restricted by this rule. Nor are bonus items (described below).

5. When placing stat points, you must assign your points in multiples of six: when you gain a level, you might choose to place six stat points into strength, for example. Obviously, there are only five points per level… occasionally, you will have extra points that you must wait to use (and in other cases, not enough points to assign any at all).

6. You may carry exactly six charms, no more, no less (so you can’t use any at all until you’ve found at least six).

Other rules…

1. You may use any type of mercenary you wish, and they may use any gear you wish (your merc's gear does not count toward your six-equipable-item total). If you store mercenary items in your ATMA stash, they *do* count towards your six-items-stored limit.

2. HC only, versions 1.10, 1.11, 1.11b. RWM is permitted.

3. No multiplayer.

4. All items used must be found by your character (no muling from outside the tournament).

5. You may solve any quests you wish, and find any WPs you wish, but you aren’t required to do anything. You will receive six points per Act you complete, and a six point bonus for killing the cow king in each difficulty level. Once you have killed the cow king, you must move to the next difficulty level, and you may not return for any purpose.

6. ATMA use is permitted.

SPECIAL BONUSES:

1. After killing Nihalthak in Normal, you may personalize an item. That item then becomes a freebie: you can wear it without it counting towards your six item total, and it need not follow the "multiple of six" rule for item stats. In order to use this reward, you must personalize the item before moving to NM difficulty. If you don't redeem it before leaving Normal, you forfeit the reward.

2. After killing Nihlathak in NM, you can personalize an item. That item then becomes a freebie: you can wear it without it counting towards your six item total, and it need not follow the "multiple of six" rule for item stats. In order to use this reward, you must personalize the item before moving to Hell difficulty. If you don't redeem it before leaving NM, you forfeit the reward.

3. After killing Nihlathak in Hell, you may personalize an item. That item........... you get the idea by now, I'm sure.

4. Items received as a quest reward are exempt from the "multiples of six" reward. This includes rings from Ormus and Akara, Charsi's imbues, and Anya's gifts. However, remember, these items DO count against your six equipable item total.

5. Any quest item (Gidbinn, etc.) may be worn without it counting towards your item total. But they may not leave the act where you found them. Not that you'd want to bother...

6. Sorry, only five bonuses. But it looked funny not having a number 6 :cool:

The tournament begins now. It will end on 12/18/06.

Nice idea :thumbsup:
I'm gonna start lurking on a char and prolly sign up later ;)

edit:
about this rule:
1. You may use any type of mercenary you wish, and they may use any gear you wish (your merc's gear does not count toward your six-equipable-item total). If you store mercenary items in your ATMA stash, they *do* count towards your six-items-stored limit.

what is that limit? I cannot find it anywhere, I'm guessing its a limit that means you can stash 6 items in a separate atmastash, but im not sure :)

and also, you are only allowed to put points in 6 skills right? You can still use any skills granted from charges and/or +to skill x from items, right?

and the multiple with six on items rule; if I have a full arctic on (dont know if its possible, but lets say) and my fur's defense is 300, fine, I can equip it. when I level to next level, the defense will change due to the +def. (based on char level) and then I cannot use it anymore right?
Anyway, how do you win? what if 2 ppl kills cow king in all acts and does all other +point thingys, is level deciding?

Well, I'll sign up now, jsut doing it regular signupstyle, correct me if you want it some other way skunk.
Forumname: zarfen
Character name: Sofia
Character class: Assasin
Act's completed: 0
Cow kings killed: 0
Score: 0

zarfen said:
Nice idea :thumbsup:
I'm gonna start lurking on a char and prolly sign up later ;)

edit:
about this rule:

what is that limit? I cannot find it anywhere, I'm guessing its a limit that means you can stash 6 items in a separate atmastash, but im not sure :)

Oops... the original rules only allowed you to store six items in ATMA, but I changed that. Please ignore the "six items stored limit" part.

zarfen said:
and also, you are only allowed to put points in 6 skills right? You can still use any skills granted from charges and/or +to skill x from items, right?

Yes. There are no equipment restrictions aside from the ones listed.

zarfen said:
and the multiple with six on items rule; if I have a full arctic on (dont know if its possible, but lets say) and my fur's defense is 300, fine, I can equip it. when I level to next level, the defense will change due to the +def. (based on char level) and then I cannot use it anymore right?

Correct :cool:

zarfen said:
Anyway, how do you win? what if 2 ppl kills cow king in all acts and does all other +point thingys, is level deciding?

In the case of a tie, I will next look at the number of quests and WPs completed (quests first, then WPs). After that, I will award the prize to the lowest level. After that, if there's still a tie, I'll look at total exp. After that, if there's STILL a tie, you'll have to meet in an undisclosed real life location and box.

okay, thanks, are you not entering you own tour? :)
well, im off to make my assa :thumbsup:
*hopes for a godly pair of boots with a 6 in it*

edit: oh, and about the multiple of 6 in item desc. thingy, If I have a helm with 36 max durability, can I use it? :)
Or if I have a wand with 6/27 charges, is that allowed? :) the charge's might seems cheesy, but you would never be able to repair it ^^

edit2: when I reach level x, I can place 6 pts in energy and 42 in vita, at the same time, right?

edit3 :)laugh: ): just started her out. Luckily her starter weapon has 24 max durability, and the buckler har 12 str req.
The harderst part about this tourney will imo be to wait 6 levels before you can assign skills :p

edit4: I know I should not spam so much, but something camo to my mind, shouldnt arrows a an exception from the multiple with 6 rule? as if not noone can make a bowdude..

Oh, I'm definitely entering... just haven't had time to think of a build yet.

zarfen said:
edit: oh, and about the multiple of 6 in item desc. thingy, If I have a helm with 36 max durability, can I use it? :)
Or if I have a wand with 6/27 charges, is that allowed? :) the charge's might seems cheesy, but you would never be able to repair it ^^

Yes in both cases.

zarfen said:
edit2: when I reach level x, I can place 6 pts in energy and 42 in vita, at the same time, right?

Yes. But not 6 in energy and 41 in vitality.

zarfen said:
edit3 :)laugh: ): just started her out. Luckily her starter weapon has 24 max durability, and the buckler har 12 str req.
The harderst part about this tourney will imo be to wait 6 levels before you can assign skills :p

If that's the hardest thing about it, I made things too easy. But I think there will be harder things...

zarfen said:
edit4: I know I should not spam so much, but something camo to my mind, shouldnt arrows a an exception from the multiple with 6 rule? as if not noone can make a bowdude..

Arrows, bolts and throwing potions are exempted from the equipment rule. Good call. Throwing weapons of other sorts must have multiples of six somewhere in their item description, though, as must the bows and crossbows themselves.

This tourney will serve Halloween perfectly, nice idea :smiley: 666 :devil:

Okay thanks, I first though this would be a real hard one to start with, but after leveling a bit and completing q1, I've seen that most of the stuff in the begginning has a maximum durability of either 12, 24 or 32, so its not a problem.

I'll be entering as a Paladin, named Six (creatively enough). Not sure of my build yet.

A few questions:

The charms rule, that's id'd charms, right? Otherwise it will be difficult to get any at all...
Also, do charms with required level higher than your current level count? If you happen to find six charms early,
but one of them require lvl 10 and you're just lvl 8, could you still use the other five, with the sixth unactive?

You don't mention rerunning areas, nor changing player settings. I take it that means it's OK?
You also don't mention RRM. I take it that means it's not OK? Considering you did mention RWM...

I believe by giving thumbs up for rwm, rrm is ok as well, as that doesnt not really care, as it does not change gameplay at all, just makes runes red.
And I hope rerunning is ok, or else I think I have screwed, although the rules state that you cannot go back to a previous difficult afterkilling cow king.

I'll go on and sign up then. None of that stuff should matter much for a while anyways.
Disabling RRM isn't exactly difficult, and better safe than sorry, so that's done.

"Allow me to introduce myself, I'm a man of we... err... *grumble* *mumble*
*grumble* stupid stones, doesn't fit at all."
Hexagoon is really a rather poor necromancer, though he does have taste (at least
according to himself). He's just arrived at the Rouge Encampment, hoping to take
care of that whole wealth bit. So far the only job he's managed to get is some sort
of cleanup job. Akara apparently want the 'Den of Evil' cleansed. Doesn't sound like
such a bad place, but the reward seems good and that's all that matters, right?

(Not sure I'll be able to keep up the roleplaying for long... kinda sucky at writing stuff)

Rerunning areas is fine.

RRM... not a big deal, since as you said it does not influence gameplay in any meaningful way. But nothing other than RWM and RRM is allowed.

For charms: yes, that's a good solution. If you already have six charms in inventory, you may carry un-ID'd charms on your person. And you may count charms that you aren't able to use (due to character level) towards the six required.

zarfen said:
Okay thanks, I first though this would be a real hard one to start with, but after leveling a bit and completing q1, I've seen that most of the stuff in the begginning has a maximum durability of either 12, 24 or 32, so its not a problem.

32 is not a multiple of 6.

Sounds like another great Skunkbelly tourney! I'm travelling and can't use ATMA but I think that won't make much difference for this tourney, I don't think. I've started a necromancer, SickSixSheik and he is level 18 at the Inner Cloister WP, with a current total of 0 points.

Great tourney idea but I have a couple questions:

1) The reward items (rings, Anya rewards, etc.) that we can use as one of the six items even without a "6" present- are we allowed to modify them via socketing, cube recipes etc?

2) "Once you have killed the cow king, you must move to the next difficulty level, and you may not return for any purpose" Does that mean that if I complete normal but don't kill the normal cow king, for example, that I can freely return to normal for whatever purpose (levelling, rerolling maps, item hunting, shopping) until I decide to kill the cow king?

3) "Rule #2: You may only assign skill points when your level is a multiple of six. When you reach that level, you must spend ALL available skill points immediately." This may be incompatible with rule #5. For example, say that you get to level six but haven't completed the Den of Evil quest. You would have 5 skill points to spend and you must spend them immediately but you are only allowed to invest in multiples of six. Or more likely, say you are level 24 and have 7 points unspent, 6 from leveling and one from Radament- same problem. Did you mean that you must invest as many as possible skill points immediately, with possibly 1-5 remaining?

Here is a first effort at a table:
Code:
Forum Name  | Character Name | Class   | Score | Last WP             |
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Skunkbelly     Six            Paladin    0    A1 Rogue Camp
zarfen         Sofia          Assasin    0    A1 Rogue Camp
Delreich       Hexagoon       Necro      0    A1 Rogue Camp
PurpleLocust   SickSixSheik   Necro      0    A1 Inner Cloister

A few rule clarifications...

purplelocust said:
1) The reward items (rings, Anya rewards, etc.) that we can use as one of the six items even without a "6" present- are we allowed to modify them via socketing, cube recipes etc?

Good question. Adding a socket is fine. So is re-rolling (though it's hard, what with the need for six perfect skulls).

purplelocust said:
2) "Once you have killed the cow king, you must move to the next difficulty level, and you may not return for any purpose" Does that mean that if I complete normal but don't kill the normal cow king, for example, that I can freely return to normal for whatever purpose (levelling, rerolling maps, item hunting, shopping) until I decide to kill the cow king?

No, that means that you can't return to Normal, and you also can't kill the cow king :)

Just to clarify: you MUST kill the Cow King before moving onto the next difficulty. Just like an act boss.

purplelocust said:
3) "Rule #2: You may only assign skill points when your level is a multiple of six. When you reach that level, you must spend ALL available skill points immediately." This may be incompatible with rule #5. For example, say that you get to level six but haven't completed the Den of Evil quest. You would have 5 skill points to spend and you must spend them immediately but you are only allowed to invest in multiples of six. Or more likely, say you are level 24 and have 7 points unspent, 6 from leveling and one from Radament- same problem. Did you mean that you must invest as many as possible skill points immediately, with possibly 1-5 remaining?

As the original rule states, you DON'T have to spend SKILL points in multiples of six... you have to spend them all every six levels. (You DO have to spend STAT points in multiples of six). So this isn't a problem... if you get to level 6 before clearing the Den, you'll need to wait till level 12 to use your reward point (in fact, this exact thing just happened to my poor character, alas).

Count me in (My first tournament) :)

Forumname: hawkdale
Character name: Stew
Character class: Druid
Act's completed: 0
Cow kings killed: 0
Score: 0

skunkbelly said:
if you get to level 6 before clearing the Den, you'll need to wait till level 12 to use your reward point (in fact, this exact thing just happened to my poor character, alas).
What about cleaning the Den at level 6?

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High