You've corrupted me (and I think I like it)

HC..... don't you have to play, like, safe?

No.

My current sorc has a "IV" after her name.

Edit: was kinda drunk when I posted this.. but seriously, ofc hc takes another playstyle - however, if you pick the right builds and characters there are plenty of beefy options that you won't just go ahead and get killed.

Last edited:
Vote: Goryani

Only a scum would have never played Single Player D2 until September 2013. :badteeth:

edit: completely, utterly ninja'd on the Mafia gag by the unhinged one.

edit edit: HC is vastly overrated. :whistling:

Hypothetically... If I were to delve into HC, what would be a good character to start with?

Sorcs are out. I kill them too easily while blind teleporting with 10fcr and no FHR in normal. Skelemancer is out because I used to make one at the start of each ladder and I want to do something different.

Singer is NOT a starting build. I've played gold horking singers in Hell before and, while safe, they can't kill anything in any reasonable amount of time unless you already have significant gear.

Ya, pharphis is right.

That was the first HC character I made. He's not the best at most things, but he can handle almost anything very safely.

Ya, pharphis is right.

That was the first HC character I made. He's not the best at most things, but he can handle almost anything very safely.
It was my second guardian and it was a tournament char. You can get 2x spirit + insight by the beginning of act 5 pretty easily, and 2x gull for kill switch if you're crazy enough to farm coldcrow.

Aren't all of them HC players?

Details.

Hypothetically... If I were to delve into HC, what would be a good character to start with?

Sorcs are out. I kill them too easily while blind teleporting with 10fcr and no FHR in normal. Skelemancer is out because I used to make one at the start of each ladder and I want to do something different.

If sorcs are out, and you want to do any decentish magic finding then yeah....singer is pretty much it.

Although this is also assuming that the friendly HC community wouldn't help you out with a few wares (which we probably would, unless your going all self found).

All you need is 2x spirit swords and insight on merc :p

Maybe we have different definitions of reasonable amount of time. Or different targets in mind. I'd think a stun whack whack whack stun whack whack whack strategy would be faster than spamming war cry (using damage weapon(s) instead of spirit).

Isn't that setup still dependent on the merc to kill efficiently in Hell? Finding an elite 4os polearm isn't guaranteed anytime soon. I don't have one for my SC characters yet.

In my mind, I'm only "counting" on playing through Hell with an Insight made in a normal weapon. Any build I choose will have that limitation.

If sorcs are out, and you want to do any decentish magic finding then yeah....singer is pretty much it.

Although this is also assuming that the friendly HC community wouldn't help you out with a few wares (which we probably would, unless your going all self found).

Sorcs are out. I WILL die. Repeatedly. Until and unless I learn a HC playstyle. That means no teleport. It also means self found until I know I can do it.

I'm cool with a whites + runes route for my first character. Or goldfind + gamble. I need not MF for my first stab at an embarrassing death.

Sorcs are out. I WILL die. Repeatedly. Until and unless I learn a HC playstyle. That means no teleport.

I can understand this if you are used to teleporting in an attacking manner or as main way of moving.

As a HC player for many years, > 90% of my teleports is to back off one or two screens (back to known and cleared territory) at a first sign of monsters. This is a 'spine reaction', I do not even have to think about it.

I run/tiptoe into new areas, then teleport back to bring a few monsters at a time to me. The only time I will teleport into unknown territory is if I get into a stairs trap fight I think I can't win there by the entrance.

There is also the small-scale teleports, for micro-managing in fights and place the merc somewhere I want them.

I have never bothered with any FCR with my Sorcs (then again, haven't played any with a main skill that has no casting delay).

My teleports are in the other direction. Other than an occasional teleport to reposition Emilio, my teleports are made blindly into unexplored areas full of monsters waiting to kill me.

Another reason for no sorcs as a first character is Duriel. Normal Duriel. I'm not sure I've ever beaten normal Duriel with an untwinked sorc without death.

I'm more likely to stay at 1hp from poison and see how far I can make it without dying than use a potion. It's just my playstyle I've perfected over many years and I need to break it.

I have a HC assassin up to Inner Cloister and an amazon that just rescued Cain. Baby steps.

Normal bosses are pretty easy due to static. Your Merc should be able to tank for long enough to static him down pretty low.

Scratch the amazon. Death by Pitspawn Fouldog. His damage outraced my potions.

Normal bosses are pretty easy due to static. Your Merc should be able to tank for long enough to static him down pretty low.

Me and my merc usually get 1-2 shotted. If Duriel is at half hp (via static) on the first death I consider it to be a good run.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High