X-men mafia game thread

Power Cop is your ability? I am confused by a lot of this. Can you clarify this first sentence?

I personally would prefer that people not speculate on Jcakes' post. It is confusing and unclear and people have already possibly provided him with a fake claim (Morph) as it is. Let him come back and explain the very strange post he made. The font size changing suggests something to me that may not occur to others.

My very broad experience dealing with evaluating undergraduate essays has led me to realize that a font size change that does not seem to have a purpose is most frequently the sign of a copy and paste and so I wonder what to make of Jcakes' already odd post if assuming the smaller text was pasted in from elsewhere. And from where would it have most likely been pasted?

It came from my QT actually. I was copying the role of elite body guard wanted to get the wording correct.

I am going to clarify further to make it as clear as possible.

My personal ability is Power Cop. It returns the Mutant Power of the person I target.
N1 I targeted someone and got "Eye Lazors" as the result
N2 I was informed that my ability had been replaced with "Elite Bodyguard" it had x-shots. I chose to use Elite Bodyguard (x-shots) on Drixx. I was informed that a shot of that ability had been used and tomorrow night I will return to your normal role the following night.

The bit about role thief is speculation. I was speculating that I morphed into Cyclops and his "ability" (distinct from mutant power) is Elite Bodyguard. The only way I will be able to tell if this is true or not is what happens N4.

I think most of the confusion has been between Ability and Mutant Power. "Eye Lazors" is a Mutant power (like "shapeshifter" and "metal controller") "Power Cop" is an ability (like "Elite Body Guard" or "Name / Mutant Power Cop").

Rule 10 tells us what the font size changing can't be.

that is true. I did copy it from there though and made some tweaks to it. I do occasionally do this rather than paraphrasing to ensure that what I am posting makes some sense.

Unvote: Jcakes

Thank you for the clarification.

@Jcakes:

Coju says he used an ability on you and it returned "shapeshifter". Do you have any qualms with this?

Ok I am going to make a full claim.

I really wanted to be here first thing, but there is no chance of me being up that early on a Saturday.

First point, the reason I noticed instantly that Pharphis had my role was his role claim (Power Cop), this is my ability. I did not actually decode pharphis' post.
Second point, I am a shapeshifter (that is my mutant power) my name is Morph.
This is my role claim

this is what added the confusion
Third point, it turns out my ability is actually a kind of role thief ability. Last night I had the ability of the person I targeted night 1 [highlight]speculation N2 I was informed that I couldn't use my normal ability, but I could use the ability of Elite Body Guard, I was speculating that this was the ability (non mutant power) that belongs to Cyclops. [/highlight]

In terms of targets and results
N1: I targeted someone and got the result of ability "Eye Lazors". You'll not I crumbed that in a post (this is the exact spelling and the person who I targeted should know this).
N2: I obtain[highlight]bad wording, my ability changed into[/highlight] the ability of Elite Bodyguard (x shots): You may choose someone to protect. If you choose correctly, neither your target nor you will die. I targeted Drixx, I apparently expended a shot doing so, sorry Cyclops if I used one of your shots ...... I've been informed that i will have my original ability tomorrow night.

Unvote: Jcakes

Thank you for the clarification.

@Jcakes:

Coju says he used an ability on you and it returned "shapeshifter". Do you have any qualms with this?

Some qualms. His ability would double up with mine if that was the case. I.E. he would have an ability that identifies other players Mutant Powers, that is exactly what my ability does so seems kind of redundant.

pharphis has been lynched, he was:
Magneto – Metal control – Anti-town – Godfather+Name/mutant [highlight]power cop
[/highlight]

Highlighting and underlining mine

4. Ability: Power Cop.

I have a couple concerns with your claim. First, the mafia Godfather was called a Power Cop, so then the question that arises to me is why would town have a power cop? Town needs to find roles and alignment while mafia need to know abilities. It's possible in a role heavy game for the same flavor of cop to be given to both town and mafia, I suppose, but then there's the problem that you are claiming that "Power Cop" actually means "Ability thief" since you claim to have learned the mutant power of the person you investigated via your ability but also stolen their ability.

Town aligned players are rarely given an ability that removes someone's ability to vote because the town's main power is voting.

Doesn't this conflict with your commentary in 586?

"Personally I doubt that the person who has the post restriction power was told that the post restriction would be the same every day, and so I would expect the mafia to restrict at least two people before they do any WIFOM play in restricting among themselves."

An ability for the purpose of post restriction has a different targeting mentality than an ability for the purpose of vote restriction. If the ability can be used as either, we may be seeing it used as either. I'll grant that N1 was probably of the post restriction variety, considering the target. But I expect that to change if the ability isn't found. A vote restriction moves up LYLO an entire day. Of course, that means it's possible to be a town ability too as a townie vote restrictor can push back LYLO for a day.

1)I have a couple concerns with your claim. First, the mafia Godfather was called a Power Cop, so then the question that arises to me is why would town have a power cop? Town needs to find roles and alignment while mafia need to know abilities. It's possible in a role heavy game for the same flavor of cop to be given to both town and mafia, I suppose, but then there's the problem that you are claiming that "Power Cop" 2)actually means "Ability thief" since you claim to have learned the mutant power of the person you investigated via your ability but also stolen their ability.

1) I was surprised by that flip as well, but yes it appears that we have the same / similar ability. I can't really say anything more here other than that.

2) The second bit is speculation. All I know for a fact is N1 I had the ability Power Cop, N2 my ability changed into Elite Body Guard (x-shots). I was informed at the end of N2 that my ability would change back to my normal ability for N3. I was speculating that I morphed into Cyclops N2 and hence had the Elite Body Guard ability (partly because it kind of fit with my impression of Cyclops)

I think you have a couple of things confused, Goryani; or I am confused reading your post.

I haven't claimed yet. I used an ability last night on Jcakes, and it returned, "Shapeshifter."

Post 596. You claimed you used an ability on Jcakes and it returned shapeshifter. Which is exactly what you repeated here. Whether or not your role/ability is an investigating role, you claim it produced an investigation.

I have a couple concerns with your claim. First, the mafia Godfather was called a Power Cop, so then the question that arises to me is why would town have a power cop? Town needs to find roles and alignment while mafia need to know abilities.

Also for the record, my role doesn't give me abilities in theory. It gives me Morph Power. If I targeted you for example I would get something along the lines of "Freezing" (not sure what your morph power is specified as) a role cop would get "Jail-keeper" a Name Cop would get "Iceman" and an Alignment Cop would get "Town". I am speculating that if I targeted you tomorrow then N4 I would get the ability of jail-keeper, but I cannot confirm this. It could be that I just switch between Name Cop and Elite Body Guard.

I am going to clarify further to make it as clear as possible.

My personal ability is Power Cop. It returns the Mutant Power of the person I target.
N1 I targeted someone and got "Eye Lazors" as the result
N2 I was informed that my ability had been replaced with "Elite Bodyguard" it had x-shots. I chose to use Elite Bodyguard (x-shots) on Drixx. I was informed that a shot of that ability had been used and tomorrow night I will return to your normal role the following night.
To clear up confusion (myself included): I also was informed that a shot of that ability had been used and tomorrow night I will return to your normal role the following night. I was also informed that one of my shots was used up last night. Somehow, Jcakes, you used my ability. I'm not Cyclops, though, and no longer have the Power Cop role, which I expect to return to Jcakes.

I see.. I think.. Power cop is the power of the person, the MUTANT power. Jcakes did "cyclops" and cyclops' mutant power is "eye Lazors."
Your "shapeshift" ability is another action, which it looks like you just said in post 604...

To clear up confusion (myself included): I also was informed that a shot of that ability had been used and tomorrow night I will return to your normal role the following night. I was also informed that one of my shots was used up last night. Somehow, Jcakes, you used my ability. I'm not Cyclops, though, and no longer have the Power Cop role, which I expect to return to Jcakes.

Wait. What? Interesting, so some how our two roles swapped. Sorry I used one of your shots.

coju said:
I see.. I think.. Power cop is the power of the person, the MUTANT power. Jcakes did "cyclops" and cyclops' mutant power is "eye Lazors."
Your "shapeshift" ability is another action, which it looks like you just said in post 604...

Shapeshift is not an ability it is my mutant power, I see it as a kind of flavour. The ability is power cop. Cyclop's mutant power is "Eye Lazors"

hmm hhhh h hmh h hh hhh mh hhm mm mhhh h hmh hhh hh hm mm hhh hhm hmh hmmh hmh hh hhh h mhh hhhh h hhhh hm hhh mh mmm m hmm h hh mmh hhhh h mhh hh mh mhmm h m

hmm hhhh h hmh h hh hhh mh hhm mm mhhh h hmh hhh hh hm mm hhh hhm hmh hmmh hmh hh hhh h mhh hhhh h hhhh hm hhh mh mmm m hmm h hh mmh hhhh h mhh hh mh mhmm h m

where i snumbers i am surprised he has not weighed in yet

Hmmmmmmm.

Hmmmmmmmm.

Mmmmmmmmm.

I'm not post restricted, that's just me thinking. Those sirens you hear are from the fires breaking out from the friction. ;)

I am new to mafia, but people do seem to be making vague claims so I will as well. I have a power that also gives me information and I have used it on Logout not at all out of spite. :p. And today, very uncharacteristically of him, he has been extremely quiet to the point of almost whispering - at least, that's how I interpret posts in parens. I have a pretty neat power and so I am not just blowing smoke here. I am dazed and confused from jet lag and Jcakes but I have not been knocked off target. Jcakes certainly seems scummy and if a train starts on him, I will jump aboard. However, my dear giant from the South deserves a closer look, methinks. Me thinking is not my forte but me jumping in blindly certainly is.

Also, the morse thing isn't actually preventing anyone from speaking, although God knows if I get hit with it it will shut me up good. Ooops! Forget I said that and don't tell my husband, he'd be thrilled to find a way to shut me up. What I mean to say is that all it appears to be doing is making work for the whole group. The people hit with it, and here I squint at Drixx in mild exasperation, have not appeared to have any difficulty getting their words out.

That's all for now. Can I go back to sleep? ;)

...since I've never seen Cyclops beam someone and learn their true heart's desire.

Lol at this, that is all.

That's BS, in an intelligently crafted game by people who actually know the lore.

Lets not start handing out the awards for best game ever yet, I'm not exactly Mr. 150 IQ. =P

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High