Went looking for a Ko, and found an Ist!

Feb 3, 2011
So, after killing NM Meph with my Blizz Sorc until I wanted to end my life with Mephisto's, I decided to go try the Countess. I've gone this route a couple times before, and always with mediocre results. I guess my luck was just never there. Not to say I didn't find a nice mal, or lem, or fal every once in awhile. It's just I found the amount of time put in to the activity much too high for what I was receiving out of it. Also, as a someone who's relatively still "new" to the SP way of life, and low in character number, I had yet to use a Sorc for this task. You might ask, "Why would you ever run countess not using a sorc?!" This is a good question.

After reading SirPoops fabulous guide (http://www.purediablo.com/forums/sh...de-to-Running-the-Countess-in-Hell-difficulty) to Countess running, I finally felt confident that it would pay off. I respec'd to a CL/FO Sorceress from a pure Blizz. My CL damage was...something to be worried about, especially considering that it would be my main way to kill the Countess and her minions. With only 1-1600 damage, I struggled through the first couple runs until I understood a good strategy to help keep my moron alive, and myself included.

My main motivation for this was to find a Ko rune to make Harmony for my FA/LF amazon. However, I found much more than I bargained for! :thumbup:

My loot worth mentioning is as follows:
1x Ist
1x Mal
2x Um
1x Lem
2x Fal

And some 290%ed/15dex/etc rare Composite bow that I might consider upping. But with Harmony on the way, I don't really see the point.

All this from only 50 runs or so! In all my years of playing D2 (6 or so) I had never tried to mine runes in this way. Needless to say, I think I'll be leveling up my Sorc from 75-80 strictly from the Countess. Looking at SirPoops rune probabilities, I know I'm not going to find a repeat of my first try, but one can only hope!

P.S. And yes, as you can see I still haven't found my Ko...but I don't think I mind. :jig:

P.P.S. The real sad thing is that once I bore of D2 again in 6 months or so, I'll probably delete all my items, and my hard work. Oh well. It's a cycle, and I find the most fun is building characters completely from scratch, however frustrating it is.

P.P.P.S. I'm sorry for using the phrase "or so" way too much. Proof-reading it made me want to re-write the whole thing! Thankfully I'm much too lazy.

Last edited:
Grats :D

Same thing happened to me, was farming low runes and found a one off Ist! Then I found a Jah on a regular diablo quest run. Any attempt at actually finding hrs has ended up in nothing though!

I think the Countess' rune drops have improved in 1.13, just as have the rune drops from regular monsters. So the probabilities from that Countess running guide aren't up to date any more. The guide itself is excellent, though.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High