Using a merc with /players8

OsyncO

Mar 8, 2011
Using a merc with /players8

I got a merc about the same time I discovered /players8. I used the command and the merc died soon after.

I had been playing classic for a few days and got LOD last night for the increased resolution. I just discovered that LOD mercs need to be equipped.

Can an equipped merc handle /players8 without me feeding them a lot of potions? If so, is there anything else I need to do to keep them alive?

Re: Using a merc with /players8

Just make sure his resists are ok, he's got a weapon with decent damage and, most importantly, he's gotta have life leech somewhere. That should keep him alive in most situations. If you're playing a sorc, teleporting him out of danger at times helps his survival, too.

Does that mean I need socketed equipment for the merc?

This is where the problem lay. Classic mercs are absolutely useless. A LoD merc with even the most basic of gear will vastly outperform a Classic one and have relatively little trouble surviving on /p8 through most of the game.

I'm using a LoD merc with some basic uniques and he was fine on normal/NM p8 with just his prayer aura (and not life leech). And I'm playing 1.09 and I think the mercs got a boost in 1.10+. So definitely use a merc and spend time leveling him and equipping him. Those guys are great (A2 mercs with all the nice auras, I mean).

To have a durable merc that will survive most situations there are only three things that he needs:

1) A hurty stick
2) Life leech
3) Some resists

1) If you're using rune word mod (RWM), Insight is the easiest and cheapest way to get a hurty stick. Bonus that Prayer will synergize with the Meditation aura to give you double heal. If not RWM, the savage polearm recipe works well early (any type of Diamond + kris + staff + any belt). Keep rolling them until you have a Partizan. Later game, Honor is another cheap option.

2) If you cant get this from unique helmets/rare circlets, just craft a blood helm and/or armor.

I'm on A1 on my very first play through of the game. Can I do any of this stuff in A1?

I'm on A1 on my very first play through of the game. Can I do any of this stuff in A1?
Early mercs should be stronger than you if you're playing untwinked. For Act 1 mercs find a bow with sockets and fill it with hurty things.

Elemental deamage from runes and gems is a good start. Later Ith runes for physical damage. And if you're lucky enough to find a Jewel of Envy you can put that in armor/helm. But really your Rogue should only be dying against Andariel at the end of the act.

In Act 2, switch to a new Merc (I like prayer for casters and Blessed Aim for melee builds that need the AR). Once you get the cube, start making Savage Polearms. Save the Partizans for when they can be equipped, and give him whatever is equipable with the most damage to start.

You won't be able to make an Insight until NM because you need four sockets which can't drop in Normal. You can use the cube to try making them (but likely wont have many of the materials) or some 4 socket polearms can be made by Larzuk, but I wouldn't waste the reward on that. Just keep your first decent 4 socket polearm in NM (usually a Halbred is what I end up with to start), hopefully by then you will have a Sol rune.

My previous character (playing Classic) was on the last quest of A1 when she got erased by installing LOD. So I guess I found some runes and either did not realize it or the trauma of being forced to start a new character has blocked it from memory.

Regardless of your psetting, The Countess should drop runes for you whether it is your first one(s) or not. But just for the sake of clarity, switch to /p1 before you get to her, since she drops more/better on that setting.

My previous character (playing Classic) was on the last quest of A1 when she got erased by installing LOD. So I guess I found some runes and either did not realize it or the trauma of being forced to start a new character has blocked it from memory.

Neither. Runes don't exist in Classic. Neither do charms.

I also recommend running the Countess if you're looking for runes. They rarely drop until act 2 or 3 in my experience.

Regardless of your psetting, The Countess should drop runes for you whether it is your first one(s) or not. But just for the sake of clarity, switch to /p1 before you get to her, since she drops more/better on that setting.
That is good to know. Is she unique in that regard?

Neither. Runes don't exist in Classic. Neither do charms.

I also recommend running the Countess if you're looking for runes. They rarely drop until act 2 or 3 in my experience.
I got LOD for the increased resolution. I had no idea at the time it had all these other things (other than A5).

I ran the Countess when playing Classic and she did not drop anything the second time.

Yes, she's the only one with a special rune drop. You can sometimes find her dropping three runes at once, although rarely good ones. She's a good source of mid-level runes in Hell.

About that bow to put on the merc; shop a 3 socketed Hunter's Bow from Charsi or a 3 socketed Long Bow from Gheed. If I hire a cold Rogue (her arrows don't go as far as a fire Rogue, but you get a cold/slowing effect on some of her arrows), I usually stick a chipped emerald/ruby/topaz in it. If I go for a fire Rogue, then it's chipped emerald/sapphire/topaz.

About that bow to put on the merc; shop a 3 socketed Hunter's Bow from Charsi or a 3 socketed Long Bow from Gheed. If I hire a cold Rogue (her arrows don't go as far as a fire Rogue, but you get a cold/slowing effect on some of her arrows), I usually stick a chipped emerald/ruby/topaz in it. If I go for a fire Rogue, then it's chipped emerald/sapphire/topaz.
I haven't seen any items with 3 sockets yet. I have a 2s bow for the Rogue but I haven't put anything in the sockets yet.

I was only checking Charsi. I just checked Gheed and he had a 3s bow.

I would be inclined to put all emeralds in the bow, since that seems like it would do the most damage.

You could, but poison damages over time rather than instantly. I usually just make sure i have one source of cold damage on her to get that slow effect.
It really doesn't matter though, any combination works. She gets less effective once you reach the catacombs and she will most likely die to Andariel.
At the next act you'll hire a new one and do the savage polearm cube recipe anyway.

You could, but poison damages over time rather than instantly. I usually just make sure i have one source of cold damage on her to get that slow effect.
I have a cold Rogue to get the slowing effect. Ruby also does damage over time but it is less damage than emerald. I like to use topazes for mf.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High