"Unique" rings?

El_Kid

Jun 28, 2003
"Unique" rings?

Hey,

I've been away for a long time, from both D2X and this forum, but the fishymancer and the prospect of finally taking a (untwinked) necro past Normal brought me back. So far, I have no regrets, the build is interesting, and I have found way more than my "normal" share of colorful drops.

Which brings me to my point: So far, midway thru Act III Normal, I have found 3 - three - unique rings already. All of them Nagels, and the last two was found with another Nagel already equipped. How come? Is this some well-known, well-documented "feature" that I've missed while being away? This is 1.10, btw.

I must admit, when the third one was ID'd as a Nagel, the first thought to cross my mind was "oh great, guess this means no other unique rings will ever drop then", but I guess act III normal is a little early to conclude? :p

Signing off,

El_Kid

Welcome back.

Unique is a misnomer - You can find any number of the same "unique" item with one character. However, you cannot have two unique items drop in the same game (i.e. in one playing session, two nagelrings cannot drop). My sorceress has found 10 or 15 nagelrings by now, and will no doubt continue to find more. As far as I'm aware, this has been the same since D2C 1.0, but you may be just noticing now they've pushed the drop rates up :D

flamearrows

Ah, I see. That explains it then. For some reason I've always believed that once a character had a certain unique in a game, that unique wouldn't drop again. Guess that says something about how much MFing I've done...

Well, off to find more Nagels then, I guess. :rolleyes:

I think in some older versions (Classic and LoD 1.07?), there was another rule. When the game determined whether to drop an unique item, it took not only into account which uniques had been dropped in that game session, but also which items were in the game altogehter, meaning it scanned the inventory (and stash?) of all players, too. There was that easy-SoJ-gambling by having a nagel and manld ready and gambling for rings (uniques were much easier to gamble in pre-1.09).

El_Kid said:
Ah, I see. That explains it then. For some reason I've always believed that once a character had a certain unique in a game, that unique wouldn't drop again. Guess that says something about how much MFing I've done...

Well, off to find more Nagels then, I guess. :rolleyes:
That was the classic (1.06 and earlier), but not since LoD came out :)

Heh, and yet in all the many hours I've played this game, I've found a grand total of 2 Nagelrings, the first with my first ever character, the second a few days ago with my current .....

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High