Two Oddities today

Re: Two Oddities today

More efficient would be using the formulas on the other wiki page ;) :

P(2^32, 77000) = exp(-(77000^2-77000)/2/2^32) = 0.5015
P(2^32, 4000) = exp(-(4000^2-4000)/2/2^32) = 0.9981

Pfffft. Don't practice your numerical analysis on me. ;) What's the point in having an arbitrary precision calculator if you never use it?

The subject of duplicate fingerprints has been discussed before, shortly after AMTA's release which introduced the whole fingerprint concept to the community.

As you can imagine, several posters argued the actual odds of the chances. :whistling: At the end of the day, people realised that if there is a community of hundreds, even thousands of players using atma and identifying fingerprints and they find/horde thousands of items each, no matter how high the odds may seem, the chance of it happening has to be accepted as a possibility.

So the chance of it happening amongst a single players stash could be high, but how many other duplicate fingerprints are there out there that we don't know about? I've got thousands of items I've never posted the fingerprints for. Has any of the items I have contain a duplicate fingerprint with somebody elses items?

We just have to accept that it will happen from time to time.

Yes, but how many will also be the same item (name, unique, rare, ....)?

Having two of the same rare with the same fingerprint is much less likely than merely having two items with the same print.

But even, then it could happen.

I thought so too, but Hrus's tests suggest it's impossible, at least in 1.11. Must be in 1.09 or 1.10 or something. I was so sure I had it happen to me too.

Howdy Essojay, good to see you again.

So I finally got the chance to check my screen shots and found the one I was thinking of. Turns out that it was a Baal drop of two Giant Swords, just like I'd remembered, but one was gold and the other yellow. So, I got it completely backwards. :whistling:

I don't feel too bad about mis-remembering, that screenie was taken like 3 years ago, so I'm surprised I remembered it at all.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High