Trouble Installing LoD

Serdash

Jun 24, 2003
Trouble Installing LoD

Not sure if this was the right place. I could've posted it over at the SPF where I normally post, but I figured chucking it somewhere where others can answer was nice too.

So I have Diablo 2 Classic installed on an external drive, and have since then reinstalled my OS(as in I no longer have D2:LoD installed on my main drive with my OS).

So I tried to simply upgrade my previous classic installation, yet for some reason when I insert the disk into the drive, it doesn't recognize me having LoD installed.

Now I assume this has something to do with it not being in the registry anymore, but is there a way to force it to recognize that I have the game installed?

Re: Trouble Installing LoD

You might want to try un/re-install diablo, just be sure to move your sp characters to another folder before un-installing.

Now I assume this has something to do with it not being in the registry anymore, but is there a way to force it to recognize that I have the game installed?

Indeed, and I imagine more specifically it's also because the uninstall files aren't sitting in the windows directory anymore. A combination of those means the game probably doesn't know a) that it's install, and b) where it's installed. The expansion CD will want to install it's files to the same place that the game was installed, and without knowing that path it can't do anything.

As Marahumm mentioned above the easiest way to sort this out would be to install the game again to build this information, then patch it up and copy the stuff back onto the flash drive.

I've never really played around with these types of installs though so I cannot say for certain what files you would want to then subsequently back up for next time you come across this, but the registry and uninstall information in the windows directory should be sufficient.

you looking for that?

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Blizzard Entertainment\Diablo II]
"InstallPath"="D:\\games\\Diablo2"

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High