Tournament: Super Unique 2018

Yes, this is a tough tournament. Logoutzero: Sorry to see another Paladin bite the dust. Good luck with your next attempt. Maybe you will be the first to get to Nightmare!

First of all, we can all blame @logoutzero for me being here. He clearly enticed me to play this awful game again! So I guess I'm back to playing D2, and it's been a few years, so I feel very rusty and have lost a bit of my knowledge, although it's coming back. I decided to start a necro summoner who will focus on mages, golems, and a bit into revives I think. Plus some curses of course.

It was a pretty slow start with only 2 skeletons and a gumby, but it was still safe and easy, just slow. Things sped up a bit after lvl 12 once I got mages, and by the end of the act the 2 skellies were not very useful and the mages were doing the bulk of the work. I feel like I was continually finding things that could not have possibly ever belonged to me in the first place. Maybe I had thrown some kind of raging party right before I was robbed and forgot about it? Either way I found many class specific items and very little actually useful to me. Something happened that has probably never happened before though, I found no S/U items at all. No MF of course, but it's still quite surprising!

First kinda useful drop, but nothing too great. Didn't find a bow until about half way through the act though.
View attachment 11129

Andariel was a bit of a pain, but not terrible. Mostly summoned my blood golem over and over while the merc hit him. Took a few trips back to town but never very dangerous.
View attachment 11130
Couple more bows, even though I'm about to pick up a new merc in the next act.

This was a great drop, the weapon is eth, so it will make a nice pokey stick for now at least. And finally a belt!View attachment 11131

I am without 2 rings, an amulet and boots still. But I have a feeling I remember who stole them from me...

Code:
Forum Name        Hero Name      Class        HC/SC    Last Waypoint      Level    Score
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
jiansonz          Biter          Druid        HC       Kurast Docks          28      ??
srrw              Hrothgar       Barbarian    HC       Lut Gholein           20      13
Wolron            SuperWolf      Druid        HC       Lut Gholein           23      16
Kestegs           Comuppance     Necro        HC       Lut Gholein           20      13
GooberGrape       Einfuhr        Druid        SC       Lut Gholein           16      14
Dunedain          Grelda         Amazon       SC       Dark Woods            14       8
Southpaw8668      Atalanta       Amazon       HC       Rogue Encampment       1       0

Resting In Pieces
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wolron            SuperSaint     Paladin      HC       Diablo                35      41
logoutzero        Sheev          Paladin      HC       River of Flame        34      40

Well, I decided to stop playing my necro, summoning isn't really my style so I wasn't really enjoying it. I could respec him, but I'm not really feeling that either. So I just made a new paladin that will be a charger. I never finished my first attempt (stopped playing, not died) but I greatly enjoyed him and want to give it another shot.

So Drive_By was born. This is both an homage to the tourney theme, my previous charger, and the theme of the character, which I think is awesome, because I am neurotic and like connecting that many dots at once :p (if you can figure out how the second one connects I will give you +1 to internet respect)

Anyways...I digress...

Drive_By was a much more challenging start, as playing a charger early on is not realistic due to a 9 mana cost. So I basic attacked with might then holy fire then holy freeze. I will keep pumping HF for a few more levels until it's utility powers become less useful with more investment. I got a nice lightning damage sword from corpsefire which got me through until I was lucky enough to drop a 3os wirt's leg which I stuffed with a topaz, ruby, and max damage jewel I had found. Worked pretty well with very fast listed speed and it carried me through all the way to Andy! Also dropped a nice rare bow early on that helped the merc a lot, who was doing about as much damage as I was.

Code:
Rune Flight
Hunter's Bow
Two Hand Damage: 4 - 7
Durability: 20 of 32
Required Level: 4
Required Dexterity: 28
Fingerprint: 0xb9afe072
Item Level: 8
Version: Expansion 1.10+
+10% Increased Attack Speed
23% Enhanced Damage
+2 to Minimum Damage
+34 to Attack Rating
5% Life stolen per hit
Fire Resist +10%

Gemmed Wirt's Leg
Wirt's Leg
One Hand Damage: 2 - 10
Durability: 66 of 66
Required Level: 3
Fingerprint: 0x7673f09e
Item Level: 6
+2 to Maximum Damage
+150% Damage to Undead
Adds 3 - 4 Fire Damage
Adds 1 - 8 Lightning Damage
3 Sockets (3 used)
Socketed: Jewel of Ire
Socketed: Chipped Topaz
Socketed: Chipped Ruby

Jewel of Ire
Jewel
Required Level: 3
Fingerprint: 0xd40e8843
Item Level: 5
+2 to Maximum Damage

Chipped Topaz
Required Level: 1
Weapons: Adds 1 - 8 Lightning Damage
Armor: 9% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
Shields: Lightning Resist +12%

Chipped Ruby
Required Level: 1
Weapons: Adds 3 - 4 Fire Damage
Armor: +10 to Life
Shields: Fire Resist +12%

Dropped a cool unique from pitspawn, not one I've seen much and should stay pretty useful for quite a while I'd guess. Andy was pretty easy, no real danger, just 6 heal potions and 1 juve used. Not a great drop, nothing is really usable except for the voulge and the ring. The voulge is for the merc, who I will at least temporarily switch to until I can start charging later on once I can sustain the mana.

SuperWolf has killed Duriel on P8 and is sitting on a bench at the Kurast Dock.

The Ancient Kaa drop included two nice items. One was Darkglow (Unique ring mail); The other was:
Storm Shell (Ethereal Rare Full Helm) +5 Energy; +2 to Life; +12% Enh Def; C Resist +6%; P Resist 17%; - 25% Poison Length

The Duriel drop was five rare items. Nothing great, but this item will be used:
Cruel Guard (rare bone shield) Defense: 14; Chc to Block: 40%; +5 Life; +8 Mana; P. Resist 17%; Attacker Takes Damage of 1; 10% Faster Hit Recovery

Here are the items currently being used by SuperWolf:

Wolf Head of the Mind (+1 molten boulder, +3 Raven, +2 Arctic Blast)
Superior Club (2 sockets with TAL and Emerald)
DarkGlow
Cruel Guard Bone Shield (Life+5, Mana +5, 17% Poison Resist)
Viper Finger Heavy Gloves (+10% Cold Resist, self repair, +1 Dexterity)
Corpse Chain Belt (+15% Lightning Resist, Life +2, Mana+4, +4 replenish life)
Sturdy Chain Boots (+29% enhanced defense)
Plague Gyre Ring (+10% fire resist, +3 replenish life, 10% faster cast rate, damage -1)
Ring of the Leech (4% life stolen per hit)
Septic Long Bow in the offhand (+6 poison damage over 2 seconds)

Here are the items currently being used by the Rogue Merc:

Arctic Furs (set item)
Hunters Bow [+2 max damage]
Storm Shell Full Helm (rare and Ethereal) [+5 to Energy; +2 to Life; +12% Enh Def; Cold Resist +6%; Poison Res +17%; -25% Poison Length]

Updated with Jiansonz score:

Code:
Forum Name        Hero Name      Class        HC/SC    Last Waypoint      Level    Score
jiansonz          Biter          Druid        HC       Kurast Docks          31      27
Wolron            SuperWolf      Druid        HC       Kurast Docks          28      24
srrw              Hrothgar       Barbarian    HC       Lut Gholein           20      13
Kestegs           Comuppance     Necro        HC       Lut Gholein           20      13
GooberGrape       Einfuhr        Druid        SC       Lut Gholein           16      14
Dunedain          Grelda         Amazon       SC       Dark Woods            14       8
Southpaw8668      Atalanta       Amazon       HC       Rogue Encampment       1       0

Resting In Pieces
Wolron            SuperSaint     Paladin      HC       Diablo                35      41
logoutzero        Sheev          Paladin      HC       River of Flame        34      40

Last edited:
(Surely Jiansonz is already there!)

In Nightmare? Far from it. I'm about to enter Kurast Bazaar.

GooberGrape said:
@jiansonz please update your score when you get a chance.

Biter the Feral Rage Werewolf has killed 27 SuperUniques and bosses (if Witch Doctor Endugu counts as one and not two?) and he's now level 31.

I have no screenshots so likely not much interesting happened. I did find a decent resists helm (21 Fire, 16 Lightning), Ormus' reward ring has 14 Fire resist (I'm scared of Diablo with this kind of character!) and my merc now has a bigger weapon (thanks to the Witch Doctor):

Beast Barb
Poleaxe

Two-Hand Damage: 23 to 53
Durability: 47 of 65
Required Strength: 62
Required Level: 6
Polearm Class - Slow Attack Speed
Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
Item Level: 27
Fingerprint: 0xd9466291
+32% Enhanced Damage
+68 to Attack Rating
+2 to Maximum Damage

Still no boots for Biter. :(

Last edited:
Observation: This tournament has an interesting advantage. The advantage is that you can only use items dropped by super uniques! The reason that I look at this as an advantage is due to what just happened to SuperWolf. He was in the Kurast Sewers and had just found the quest item in level 2. Since there is very little advantage to searching the entire sewer, it is just a little quirk of mine that I decided to look around to see what I might find in the rest of the sewer (I had almost cleared it anyway just trying to find Icehawk Riftwing). So, what happened? I found that frustrating place where there is a very small island that you cannot get to. The island had four ghouls on it. SuperWolf did not have to let them live because he knew how to summon wolves. He summoned three dire wolves and placed them on the island with the ghouls. The ghouls did not do well at all. They died in about five seconds. The interesting thing is that a Unique Hunter's Bow (Witherstring) was dropped. I almost cried to realize that I had to leave that unique bow lying on the ground. But, this is a great tournament for that situation because I could only sell that item anyway!!!

Here is a scoring update solely intended to push jiansonz into action (as if that were needed):

NOTE: SuperWolf is only at level 30 because I have decided to ignore areas that do not have SuperUniques. Yes, I know that I will miss out on other items that I would normally covet (Sets and Uniques), but this way I can kill off SuperWolf and try another character type even sooner!:D

Code:
Wolron            SuperWolf      Druid        HC       Upper Kurast          30      29
jiansonz          Biter          Druid        HC       Kurast Docks          31      27

Resting In Pieces

So, what happened? I found that frustrating place where there is a very small island that you cannot get to. The island had four ghouls on it. SuperWolf did not have to let them live because he knew how to summon wolves. He summoned three dire wolves and placed them on the island with the ghouls. The ghouls did not do well at all. They died in about five seconds. The interesting thing is that a Unique Hunter's Bow (Witherstring) was dropped. I almost cried to realize that I had to leave that unique bow lying on the ground. But, this is a great tournament for that situation because I could only sell that item anyway!!!

I know what place you mean - a small cross-shaped island.

But there is sometimes an even more obscure place, a small rectangular island. No character can stand on it (and thus, no monster can spawn there) but there is always a 'Dead body' on it. You can search that body with Telekinesis, but if something pops out, you can only grab it with TK if it's gold or 'junk' items. Imagine searching it on Hell difficulty and a Ber rune or something like that pops out!
This is not a game design flaw in itself, because in the old days, you could pick up anything with Telekinesis (just like in Diablo 1). When they nerfed TK, I think they should have removed the dead body from that area segement.

Two tips for this tourney:

1. You can't personalize rings and amulets. (I tried in a tourney with similar rules to this one.)

2. Don't forget the four resist ring recipes. Resists will be highly sought after, especially for classes who don't have skills to help with that. And on that note, save a couple of packs of Exploding potions (the medium sized ones). The other three recipes take a potion that's easily obtainable (thawing, antidote, rejuvenation) but not the Garnet ring recipe. Past a certain point in the game, all fire potion drops will be Oil potions, and those don't work in the recipe. If you haven't saved any Exploding potions, the only way to get them in the late game is from an Exploding shrine.

Thanks for the tip. I guess I better find a few explodiing potions (and then keep them!!)

I do have a couple rare rings due to Ormus and a lucky drop, but still no amulet. When I do get an amulet, I will probably seriously consider using the +6 perfect gem recipe to get a Prismatic Amulet. That would be a good boost to resists.

SuperWolf has defeated Mephisto on P8 with no trips back to town. Those dire wolves do a good job if you can keep them alive. Even the merc managed to live through the rather long battle. The only good addition to equipment was this:

Brimstone Gutter Crystal Sword
+62% Enhanced Damage; +10 AR; +3 to Min Dam; + 1-2 fire damage; +2-56 lightning damage; +75 poison dam over 5 secs
The lightning and poison damage were due to socketing a perfect Topaz and a TAL rune. The item itself came from Battlemaid Serena.

Code:
Wolron            SuperWolf      Druid        HC       Upper Kurast          31      36

Resting In Pieces

The interesting thing is that a Unique Hunter's Bow (Witherstring) was dropped. I almost cried to realize that I had to leave that unique bow lying on the ground. But, this is a great tournament for that situation because I could only sell that item anyway!!!

Just to clarify, you may mule off any item you find to your own personal collection. I have already found a couple interesting low TC items that ended up in my grail stash to be used later on another character.

Just to clarify, you may mule off any item you find to your own personal collection. I have already found a couple interesting low TC items that ended up in my grail stash to be used later on another character.

Yes, I have been saving those S/U items as I always do. But, I have a personal rule to never tweek a character with items found by some other character, so for me, it is just a collection.

SuperWolf has defeated Diablo on P1 and this was the first time that P8 was not used. It was a tough and a long battle. I was very proud to have the presence of mind to escape four bone prisons. The dire wolves were the main weapon again, even though SupeWolf is developing rabies. That may be a mistake because I have never done that before.

So, on to Act 5 and back to using P8. We will see how long that lasts!

The Chieftain Battle Axe is the best item found in Act IV. It was dropped by the Grand Vizier of Chaos in the last battle before Diablo. It requires 54 STR and SuperWolf only has 50, so it has not been used yet. Since this tournament does not allow you to save up charms to use as needed, I will have to level up to get those STR points. However, at that point, I believe The Chieftain will be the new weapon of choice.

Two other items (dropped by Diablo) are usable. One is Plague Claw demonhide gloves. They are not all that good, but they are demonhide. The other is Storm Quarrel long war bow, but it requires 65 dexterity and SuperWolf only has 41 dexterity including the 7 points on equipment.

Code:
Wolron            SuperWolf      Druid        HC       Upper Kurast          34      43

Resting In Pieces

I have just saved Anya. If I interpret the rules correctly, I can do all of the following:

I can pick any item I want and have Larzuk socket it. Then it becomes usable, even though it was not dropped by a SU.
I can pick any item I want and have Anya personalize it. Then it becomes usable, even though it was not dropped by a SU.
The special gift from Anya is a quest reward (like Ormus's Ring) and can be used just as though it was dropped by a SU.

Please confirm.

Last edited:
I have just saved Anya. If I interpret the rules correctly, I can do all of the following:

I can pick any item I want and have Larzuk socket it. Then it becomes usable, even though it was not dropped by a SU.
I can pick any item I want and have Anya personalize it. Then it becomes usable, even though it was not dropped by a SU.
The special gift from Anya is a quest reward (like Ormus's Ring) and can be used just as though it was dropped by a SU.

Please confirm.

Confirmed.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High