Tournament Idea: Free Parking, the SPF way!

logoutzero

Nov 9, 2005
I've had a long time fantasy of cubing all the El's ever found in the history of runes, and ending up with a Zod. :jig:

I obviously will never find that many Els, and due to recent calculations by Jcakes, even if I had them all, it would take more than a lifetime just to cube them!

So, after some further discussion, I think we have successfully narrowed the idea down to something that could be pulled off in a reasonable amount of time, if people were to participate. So, this is the feeler to see...

Free Parking is a house rule commonly added to the game of Monopoly, where any time a player has to pay a fee, fine, or tax to the bank, that money is pooled to a cache in the center of the board. If a player lands on the "Free Parking" space, he/she takes whatever money is in the cache, and the process starts anew.

At first, I was thinking we could emulate this here, in the SPF, by having participants send in stashes of useless runes and gems that they wouldn't normally pickup. After some time, I might (as the host of this "tournament") be able to cube a rune of significance, and award it as a prize, then start the process again. While trying to determine a "scoring" system, to allow for fair chances at distribution of such a prize, some members of the Moo Moo Farm pointed out to me the sheer fallacy of my plot: Ignoring the amount of runes it would take to cube something great, at a mere 5 second average per cube event, it would take some 22+ years to cube a Ber from Thuls. 22+ years of non-stop cubing. So, including El -> Ort would only increase this time...

The discussion went on for some time, with Pharphis saying it was a cute idea, but he doubts anyone would actually play. Maybe not in those exact words, but meh, he has all the HRs anyway, and he wants it to stay that way. Well, srrw is apparently loaded as well, if my sources are correct.

So, the final iteration of the game is something like this:

-Players will send in any runes Lem or higher, to a tournament stash, maintained by myself. I will not be playing, as per the obvious conflict of interest.
-Players will be awarded points based on the runes they send in. Points system still being finalized.
-Players can send in as many stashes containing as many runes as they want to over the course of the game.
-Once an agree'd upon rune can be cubed (general consensus is Ber) the points will be tallied for each player, and some magic formula (being derived, for fairness) will determine the amount of entries into the prize pool each player gets, based on the runes they provided.
-The winner is selected at random, using the odds determined by the magic formula, and they receive the rune, and then, possibly, the next round will begin.

Obviously, HC and SC will have to maintain separate games, but, this isn't any different than normal. Trade statuses can be a minor issue, but everyone that participates would have to be eligible, and anyone who is going to take the prize would become FAM. Obviously, there are some minor (major?) details to be ironed out, such as whether to allow ATMA bugged players participation. But, I think by extension, the majority of the HC MP/T pool are all intertwined and FAM+ anyway, so this might not make any change.

What it all boils down to is this:

How many, if any, HC MP/T 1.13d FAM players (or others too, but as I play in this pool, is what I am most interested in at the time) would be willing to "gamble" with Lem or higher runes? Please leave any feedback or suggestions. I think this could be great fun! A long-running tournament like Piles of Gold, or the Zod God.

Edit:
If trust is an issue (and I don't blame you) submissions could just be a PM/email of readouts and I could maintain a table with or without names, and then when said rune can be cubed, all participants could send stashes.

Last edited:
I think all the runes could just be sent to me.

What sort of time period is best do you think? Weekly followed by monthly/semi-annually??

I don't think I'd be interested, still, but maybe if the runes don't have to be cubed as the prize? The total worth could be tallied until the goal is reached, too.

That's a brilliant idea, why didn't you say so before? Did the idea just hit you? lol

That's a brilliant idea, why didn't you say so before? Did the idea just hit you? lol
I didn't have a complete picture of your idea before this post. Which time length is more realistic and what happens when everyone waits to last minute to submit? :p

I would definitely participate to some extend.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High