Tiny Tourney I - Akara Dabra

skiffcz

Sep 23, 2007
Tiny Tourney I - Akara Dabra

[highlight]The story:[/highlight]
*The camera flies over a wooden palisade, opening a view to a mideaval field camp. Its is getting dark, raining. The flyby stops focusing on an old woman wearing purple cloak. She is clearly extraordinary. An unsettling aura of mystical powers and wisdom enshrouds her. The camera point of view blends with your own. An epic orchestral music culminates into a sharp ending. Only the sound of raindrops now breaks almost magical silence.

Akara: What the frak are you staring at. Just go and stick a sword up that sicko bondage titchain freak's asshole goddamned!

[highlight]The idea:[/highlight]
What? WTF was that?
I don't know! I'm just bad at intro stories. I like things short. Not so my girlfriend, but hell, it's not getting any better considering my age, so tough luck.

[highlight]Ok, the idea actually:[/highlight]
Quiet some time ago there was a thread started when I presented an idea of series of quick tourneys, with as reduced set of rules as possible, simply for short time amusement and filling holes in big hit tournaments (or when you dont feel for long d2 session, but want to play something anyways). I'm not gonna link the thread to prevent necromancy, but here are the main points:
  • It has to be fast. Simple goal, target mileage about one hour. Possibly rerunable, lets say around 3 to 5 tries to reach your max.
  • It should not require any preparations, previous skills, if twinking enabled, items allowed should be very common (i.e. gold, potions, something you can shop for in few minutes etc.)
  • It has to be fun.
The feedback was anything but massive, but still quite positive. So here we are with try number one.

[highlight]The rules:[/highlight]
  1. SC untwinked new chars (HC if you have guts for extra style. No extra points though)
  2. Multiple tries (characters) per participant allowed
  3. Any /p settings may be used, but only one for one character
  4. Character with LEAST experience and Andariel quest completed wins!

Simple, huh? And what's in it for you? Teh win! (credits for an idea go to superdave, ofcourse)

Akara's Damaged Buckler
Defense: 3
Chance to Block: 20%
Durability: 3 of 3
Required Strength: 12
Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
Item Level: 2
Fingerprint: 0xea9fcc8c

[highlight]The list of the greatest losers in the universe:[/highlight]
Code:
[B][U]Player        Build        /p        Experience[/U][/B]
skiffcz       bash         1         in progress

Last edited:
Re: Tiny Tourney I - Akara Dabra

Love the story, lol :thumbsup:

Nice idea. I gave it a go immediately.

Code:
stephan       fire blast   1         18225 (lvl 6)
skiffcz       bash         1         in progress

Time will tell if that is any good. :)

lol at the intro and the tourney :D Great idea, great writeup!
Do you think anyone is able to do this at level 1? You'd have to let yourself be killed quite often, but it could be possible: open every object on players 8 and hope for lots and lots of Fulminating/Exploding/whatever potions to kill Andy with...

I'm looking forward to hear updates from you people!

IIRC there was a tournament with basically these exact rules, except HC.

The result (IIRC):
IIRC, if you kill nothing between town and andy, you finish at level 2 just from andy's experience. It is possible, HC (edit: caveat below), and been done.

Big hint:
The outer? cloister WP has a dead body next to it with no monsters nearby. Farm away.

edit: FWIW, it's very possible I'm just remembering wrong and it was SC.

-CG

Do you think anyone is able to do this at level 1

You get 64 xp from Andy with lvl 1 char, so thats the teoretical minimum.

EDIT:
IIRC, if you kill nothing between town and andy, you finish at level 2 just from andy's experience.
uh ... Andy gives 1282 xp in normal, but is lvl 12. Doesnt the xp nerf count with bosses? Its more than 10 lvls difference so it should be like 5% ... 1024x0.05 = 64.1 ... *doesnt know*

Anyways. Andy at p1 has 1024 life (nice round number).

With her 80% PoiRes and 28 hp per poison potion its 183 potions - and since poison is calculated differently, its prolly wrong number. STill, thats a LOT potions :)

Exploding potions has avg dmg of 8 fire. Andy has -50 FiRes. That makes 85 potions, much managable number. However, it will require to (TP) lure monsters from the next to last room and lot of dodge skill :D

I was thinking more about firebolt sorc (+3 staff) ;) In fact, I DID manage to run to andy without killing single monster some time ago - in HC ;) - but then I died in Andys room, unable to land a hit due to attack rating fail (rubies bow ama).

P.S. good job Stephan, it seems like a nice feat to me ;) Let us hope its not the best (read last) :)

Ok, lets beat me folks :) At lvl 3 it was too hard, so I raised it just to beat Stephan (just for now I hope) :) Andy took like half an hour and billion potions though :D

Screenie ;)

Code:
skiffcz       bash         1          9183 (lvl 5)
stephan       fire blast   1         18225 (lvl 6)

Yeah, you two were really smart to take auto-hit skills. I started with a Barb thinking Howl would be enough to keep enemies off my back while I bashed on Andy.

Two problems with that idea. 1) I'm still at clvl1, so I don't even have a defensive skill to keep critters away. And 2) My CtH with a thrown javelin is at 9%. Not good.

Okay, next time I try this, I'll think it over a bit more. I should have taken skiffz's story of a bow-wielding Amazon to heart. :whistling:

Yeah, you two were really smart to take auto-hit skills.

Bash is auto-miss. I think I had like 20% with 1 pt in it and 4 pts in axe mastery. But with 111 life, I was able to tank few hits, so it was slow and annoying, but eventually inevitable once we were in that room alone.

Im not allowed a HC char then? Guess Ill only watch the mayhem from outside.

Duh. You're right, of course. I thought it had the same properties as Smite. All it would have taken was a simple mouse-over to see I was wrong. ...Oops!

Oh, by the way. Good work, guys. I'm impressed (and jealous!) with your successes.

I'll probably try again with the same character since I have an altered strategy in mind, but I'm much too tired to give it a serious go. Good luck to all who participate!

Im not allowed a HC char then? Guess Ill only watch the mayhem from outside.

:) Rules updated. To keep it fair though, no extra advantage except for stylepoints for going hardcore ;)

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High