Thoughts on rune coloring mod.

Status
Not open for further replies.
pick up potions and gold
drink potions
find runes
I would still trade with you as it's hardly cheating, but still no point modding something just to overcome laziness

Malifrax said:
The problem with this is that it introduces the option of allowing other "harmless" mods to slip through. Showing tolerance for a non-standard set of game rules/enhancements can eventually result in allowing for other things that may seem harmless to begin with, but later turn out to do more harm than good.

Here's an example of how such allowances might progress:

• If it's okay to show runes a different color, is it okay to change the color of other items?
  • How about we allow the changing of the name color of gems?
  • How about changing the name color of jewels?
  • How about changing the name color of gold?
  • How about making the name for gold show up black (hidden)?
  • How about lets make it acceptable to change the name color of any item?
  • Since gold can have a black name color, then how about allowing any item have a black name (be hidden)?
  • While we're making purely cosmetic changes by adding color codes to item name strings, how about we allow adding to the name strings of items to indicate item level or rune rarity?
  • How about accepting the listing of the number of sockets in an item's name or whether an item is ethereal or not?
I'm sure many can see where I'm leading to, so I will stop here.

A small "correction", there is a limit, change too much will "harm your MF speed". Add extra text to all items? Ever have full screen of drops (P8), and Alt can only display a small part of "small part", even you can "hide" gold ... etc, you cannot get rid of the numbers (to be displayed), and add more text will only make thingy worse.

I used to "hate" the way D2 "hide" stuff on ground, but it is no longer an issue (no play=no problem). If I still play SP, I don't know if I'd try the mod.

Myself don't see a mod only change rune color wrong, but I don't play any MOD (no SP play for me), so my opinion ain't important.

@wildjinn: The mod is a .tbl file only change and it should be very easy to insert in into the 1.10 mpq patch file to make it available to all. So that should not be a concern wether yes or no to the mod.

Personally I am not even sure a different color helps me a lot in finding runes. If it is visible, I spot it easely. The problem usually is that due to so many drops it runs out of the right side of the screen. (no matter what color it is, it's not visible)

Although I have the mod, I have not tried it yet. Not sure if I want to as well.

Randall

EDIT: cut a part out which was nonsense.

stupid question:

Sounds for D2 are accessable outside of the program itself right? If so would we be able to say change the sound of a rune dropping to something alot more able to be heard over the death cries of the enemy? For instance, could I alter the sound to that of a Jewel drop?

If we could a rune color mod may not be needed at all.

Uzziah said:
stupid question:

Sounds for D2 are accessable outside of the program itself right? If so would we be able to say change the sound of a rune dropping to something alot more able to be heard over the death cries of the enemy? For instance, could I alter the sound to that of a Jewel drop?

If we could a rune color mod may not be needed at all.
I can see it now, the rune drops and your speakers yell at you:

"It's not an MP game ... ... ... haxxor!"

im confused i ask for help on something everyones a **** and reports teh thread. this guy asked for help with cheating and noone does that? am i missing something?

Okay, I know this is a cheat, but pickit has options to change the colors of whatever item you want - even a specific rune. I'm not advocating use of it, I personally use it when playing SP just so I can pick up rejuvs and gold automagically. It's not a terribly difficult thing to use.

*crosses fingers that she's not eaten alive for this post*

TheTr0ll said:
im confused i ask for help on something everyones a **** and reports teh thread. this guy asked for help with cheating and noone does that? am i missing something?

your missing that we discuss the mod here and so on. besides you asked for a trainer and that is against this sites policy and the communitys stance on cheating too.

TheTr0ll said:

Yes, you are.

I asked for opinions of the forum member on the possible use of a mod that does not directly affect character stats, drops and whatnot, only the color a certain item type on the ground is displayed in. How is that asking for help with cheating?

You asked for a link to download a character editor.

If anyone was asking "for help with cheating" it was you. I asked for opinions alone (and based on those opinions, decided not to bother getting the rune color mod since I don't want to be restricted in trading with other forum members here).

Kasira said:
Okay, I know this is a cheat, but pickit has options to change the colors of whatever item you want - even a specific rune. I'm not advocating use of it, I personally use it when playing SP just so I can pick up rejuvs and gold automagically. It's not a terribly difficult thing to use.

*crosses fingers that she's not eaten alive for this post*

Never heard of this mod or what it does. But just a heads up if you are trading or MPing in this forum make sure to let others know if your character is/has using/used this mod.

It's your machine to do what you want on but don't effect the economy of the SPF with tainted items.

Most current mods that alter rune color also alter many other features in the game such as drops, MF%, enemy characteristics and so fourth. They may also carry trojan viruses and it may be impossible to detect them. Just be careful out there its a cruel, cruel world.

I prefer the vinalla version of this game to Mod's but I do abuse features built into the game.

It's not a mod, it's a program, like the dreaded maphack.

I don't trade, I play my characters either "use what you find" or go all-out cheating. You guys will never see the cheaters, I understand that it's disapproved of here, and I respect that.

@TheTr0ll - Listen pal, no more name calling, unless you want an exit pass.

@Kasira - Express use of pickit would get you banned from the purediablo.com trade forums. As you said, it's a cheat, but since you don't trade, I have no reason to ban you. I appreciate your up-frontness on this, but caution you that with your statements you are harming your reputation in the community.

Guys .. the thing in recognising (sp?) your drops is only to play more! I've been playing for years now and I can HEAR if a rune drops. (same with gold / potions / armors / weaponry / jewels / etc. / etc...)
Just turn your sound a bit up and stop playing those mp3's while playing :lol:

:drink: Sint :drink:

I will be the Rune Coloring Mod. I have already succeeded in making myself green, so if you will all pass me your Ohms, Bers, and Zods, I will return them to you (slightly used), colored with whatever crayon you would like. You must supply your own crayon, which is non-returnable, non-refundable, non-exchangable, and will become the wholely-owned property of Kremtok the Rune Coloring Mod.

Kremtok said:
I will be the Rune Coloring Mod. I have already succeeded in making myself green, so if you will all pass me your Ohms, Bers, and Zods, I will return them to you (slightly used), colored with whatever crayon you would like. You must supply your own crayon, which is non-returnable, non-refundable, non-exchangable, and will become the wholely-owned property of Kremtok the Rune Coloring Mod.

Well, how nice of you to offer....... But!
I feel that the most trusty El and Eld rune will be left out in this, so I think that as a RCM you should colors those as well. I'll send you a few hundred and a cryon ASAP.

Gouda

I for one have been using a rune color mod for well over a year now. It changes the rune colors Purple. I don't think it changes anything about the drops themselves, as I have always gotten crap to drop as far as runes.

I don't trade runes, but if I did, I would tell the person that I use the color change mod. Then they can decide for themselves if they still wanted to trade.

DeathMaster said:
A small "correction", there is a limit, change too much will "harm your MF speed". Add extra text to all items? Ever have full screen of drops (P8), and Alt can only display a small part of "small part", even you can "hide" gold ... etc, you cannot get rid of the numbers (to be displayed), and add more text will only make thingy worse.
With a small amount of code editing it is possible to change the string of the number of gold as well. That's how the infamous MH does it, and it would be simple to find the memory address and edit the appropriate DLL to make the change since an older version of the program's source code is freely available. Many other more serious effects can be produced by changing the code, but thankfully it's not as easy to do as a simple TBL edit or excel spreadsheet sheet change.

As I said before, this issue will probably never be agreed on. What can be done, as others have said, is that people who use mods be sure to tell others that they play a mod before they trade with them. Also, it is a good idea to go one step further and tell anyone you plan on trading with that you've traded items acquired by another who used mods. Some people are very picky about such things and may believe that the said items are worthless/tainted due to having been found under the influence of mods, no matter how harmless the mod may have been.

The problem also arises that some mods may be viewed as less harmful than others, so keeping track of what type of mod was used when an item was found would also have to be factored in. This results in items having a much more detailed history that should be kept and is easy to lazily ignore if you don't feel it affects you (or if you don't care about what others believe). As you can see, this is starting to become a little more tedious and complex in order to safely insure that those who use or tolerate mods in the SPF do not interfere with those who don't.

On a less serious side, I like Kremtok's idea, let's give him all our runes so he can color them. That way, if we drop our runes we can see how pretty and easy they are to view on the ground. I don't know if wasting a whole crayon would be worth it though, seeing how they're so rare and expensive. :lol: Maybe a marker or piece of chalk would do instead.

The more important question arises, though. Do we get a refund if Kremtok doesn't stay within the lines of the rune to be colored? It would be a pain to have scribbles outside the rune edges, making any item I put it into look messy. Not to mention the mess that would be all over my character's hands after handling such a sloppily done coloring job.

hermit_boy said:
I for one have been using a rune color mod for well over a year now. It changes the rune colors Purple. I don't think it changes anything about the drops themselves, as I have always gotten crap to drop as far as runes.

I don't trade runes, but if I did, I would tell the person that I use the color change mod. Then they can decide for themselves if they still wanted to trade.

You should be notifying people no matter what you are trading when using any mod, not just runes. Unless thats what you meant, in which case you can ignore me like everyone else does :cheesy:

Mods, please close this thread, will you?
The bottom line is that it changes things within the game, so any discussion if its legit or not is irrelevant, opinions wont matter in this case, just shut the thread and be over with it!

*sends message*

~D_N_S~

dark_novastar said:
Mods, please close this thread, will you?
The bottom line is that it changes things within the game, so any discussion if its legit or not is irrelevant, opinions wont matter in this case, just shut the thread and be over with it!

*sends message*

~D_N_S~
No I think the thread should go on.

I think a few people are missing the idea, this thread was about the discussion of a rune colouring mod and its merits….very simple process…

A few have taken this and gone on their own tangent, and now we again see this type of thread go…hopefully the next pages will be better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High