Thoughts on consolidating the SP trade pool

I think the types of splits happened in all Single Player communitys. I remember one well known person had a big tantrum and left, he was probably burnt out, came back a decade later and thoroughly enjoyed himself! I hear other theoretical places, (not that they exist) have a very very quiet community. There is NO trade or MP, its just that small, and if you have one person doing SC, one doing HC .. and maybe the odd lurker you don't worry about anything. Its just about sharing experiences, not sharing the same game. That is a shame. Ebbs and flows.

As an aside ... not that there are other forums lol ... but how are the different patches viewed there.

Also, anyone want to do a quick and dirty patch x = patch y or brief changelong. (Or I'll look it up eventually.) :p

IIRC 1.11 and 1.12 were similar but the minutia escapes me.

As for the BVS .. I have some PMs to deal with on that, I know, I know.

AFAIK the two patches that made entirely non-gameplay related changes are 1.12 and 1.14 (in the case of 1.12, no-CD and downloadable installer, and in the case of 1.14, the changes we've been discussing in this thread). So there's basically no difference between 1.11 and 1.12 or between 1.13 and 1.14 from a practical gameplay standpoint (including letters, i.e. 1.14a vs 1.14d, though that isn't the case with other versions like 1.09b vs 1.09d and the 1.10 betas).

I know I said I wouldn't comment on whether the rules should be changed, and I still won't, but as a new forum member I've found the rules easy to understand because they seem like common sense from a perspective of not making gameplay-altering changes. I can't speak for others, but I personally would find "no backwards time travel, except between these patches because they're exactly the same from a gameplay standpoint" to be a logical and easy to understand rule, and less game-affecting than HC to SC transfers (which I understand the logic of allowing, but which isn't possible without modifications). And people are already supposed to state what versions they're using in their trade profile as well as in trade threads, so it should be possible to spot misunderstandings that way. As I said though I don't know how much of a problem this type of misunderstanding about time travel is in practice.

BTW, from what I know of other forums, they tend to approve of mods that, unlike the ones allowed here, don't work with 1.14 because they rely on the old DLL structure. The more game-altering changes (including one mentioned in this thread) tend to need to hook into the game code more closely than just adding text files to the data folder the way RWM does, so 1.14 really did break them. So I'm not sure if the split between 1.13 and 1.14 is as much of an issue.

Last edited:
Here is information about classic.

On the classic side 1.05 and 1.06 could be merged for sure.
1.05 Is a bugfixing patch on 1.04 however some bugs in itemrandomising has been fixed (leaning to a can't be merged)
1.03 can't be merged with 1.04 due very obvious reasons.
1.03 is a rebalance of 1.02 and prior (droprate wise nothing has changed, up for debate this one, 50-50)
Unsure if 1.02 can be merged with1.01 and 1.00. All these patches are bugfixes. (leaning to a can be merged)

Here is information about classic.

On the classic side 1.05 and 1.06 could be merged for sure.
1.05 Is a bugfixing patch on 1.04 however some bugs in itemrandomising has been fixed (leaning to a can't be merged)
1.03 can't be merged with 1.04 due very obvious reasons.
1.03 is a rebalance of 1.02 and prior (droprate wise nothing has changed, up for debate this one, 50-50)
Unsure if 1.02 can be merged with1.01 and 1.00. All these patches are bugfixes. (leaning to a can be merged)

Does anyone even play any classic versions other than 1.00 and 1.06? I do wonder why we play 1.00 instead of 1.01, though, since the patch notes for 1.01 show only bug fixes. But it looks like back then Blizzard left a lot out of the patch notes, since I don't see the changes to cow king and maggots in 1.02 are mentioned anywhere (isn't that when they were changed?) and those are two of the main reasons to play 1.00 over 1.06. It doesn't look like any of the nerfs to skills that are OP in 1.00 like WW and CE happened until 1.03, so I'm not sure what that leaves for game-affecting changes that might have happened in 1.01. Whether or not anyone actually plays them, is there any reason to play any patch between 1.02 and 1.05? And is there any reason to play 1.00 instead of 1.01? If not I might want to upgrade my 1.00 characters to 1.01.

I'm not sure anyone is still playing 1.11/1.12 either, and I think that's the only other pair of LoD patches that might conceivably be merged, apart from maybe 1.09b and 1.09d. From a practical standpoint, it seems like the 1.13/1.14 case is the most important, and if we're worried about making the rules too complex I could see an argument for making that the only exception to the "no going back in time" rule, since it's undoubtedly where the most benefit would be. Is there anyone who even wants to trade between 1.05 and 1.06, for example?

But if we're going to establish a more general rule, I think the logical test is to ask whether or not you can gain an advantage in the earlier version by moving items and characters back in time. If the answer is yes, then it shouldn't be allowed, but if not, then it should. That means that the later patch can only contain changes that nerf existing functionality (e.g. 1.09c/d only allowing /players up to 8, while 1.09a/b allow /players up to 64) or are neutral bug fixes that don't affect gameplay. This is the same logic behind allowing HC to SC transfers but not SC to HC (slower/riskier to MF in HC makes it an unfair advantage).

@Lemma Well I don't really recommend playing another patch outside 1.00 and 1.06b on classic. I am not sure but I thought the Cow King "quest" got unbugged before 1.03 (not sure if it is 1.01 or 1.02) meaning you can't run him aigain. There is no reason to play 1.01 till 1.06a... 1.00 is all about young maggots and Cow King and Corpse Explosion necro and 1.06 is the most complete prelod patch. 1.02 is nearly just as buggy as 1.00 and as 1.01 and 1.02 files are nearly unreachable I don't really recommend one to patch! 1.00 has a select community here, 1.06 is for Grim Helms and Lances.

Fact is if we are merging patches we need to merge all mergable patches. Lets go first time right instead of just 1.13 and 1.14 and do everything instead of just two patches. The fact nobody is playing those patches or should not play those patches is irrelevant for that mather!

As an aside ... not that there are other forums lol ... but how are the different patches viewed there.

Of course there are ... :). Unless a forum with 20K members doesn't count ;).

So, you were asking about AB? Since not that many players in the Amazon Basin play D2 anymore, and most of those who do, play online, I think (almost) everyone there is on 1.14d, and if there are any others they are probably on 1.13. Since there's no trading there that I'm aware of, different versions are a non-issue anyway. AB has always mainly been about BNet play, in which case there's not much choice concerning version used.

T72on1, I think Thyiad refered to something else which cannot be named, but it doesn't exist anyway so no harm there ;) Also the signup page is broken so can't get any new members .. Such a place had a very large community, but over time they have moved to other games, and some aren't there anymore. I once tracked down

Treeharl: This isn't really an academic debate about which patches are compatible, but it started discussing patches where people ARE actually playing, and how they ARE actually split from a new (recent) patch, not something almost 17 years old. The title of this "
Thoughts on consolidating the SP trade pool"

FYI I play 1.02 as it sounds like bug fixes (in the patch file) as I wanted to try the Milabrega pally and infernal necro. Might be a waste of time but it piqued my attention.

I know TheNix plays all patches 1.07 forward, but I've never heard of people deliberately playing 1.01 to 1.05. I know over time as people knock off goals they look for odd things to do. Maybe beating hell in every patch with Every class might one day be a thing?

@Timinator Well you're right it wasn't an acedemic debate on that subject untill I made it that way. I did that however with a reason, if we are discussing if 1.13 and 1.14 should be merged we can extend that discussion to all patches. Why did I do so, as prelod player it mathers quite a bit. Being able to play prelod DOES influence 1.13c and 1.14d gameplay on lod if you choose so. Boots rings and amu's can get better as anything you can currently find on the lasted patches.. That means there is something at stake about those patches. While forwarding 1.07 ethereal weapons is very common the shiny 20 fhr 4x resist boots from prelod shoudn't be underestimated (as an examlple). The fact a patch is 17 years old doesn't mean a thing as 1.07 is 16,5 years old for that matter :p.

About the subject nobody is deliberately playing 1.01 to 1.05 you're right on that one... But my stance for that mather is whats done is done. (Kinda the rule because to be complete, not asking how relevant it is).

PS: I would rather recommend you to play 1.00 instead of 1.02 (maybe I could help you out on MP sometime!)

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High