The PvP thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

kabal

Sep 3, 2004
The PvP thread

Way back when, there was a PvP thread here at the SPF with a number of regulars. Since then PvP has sort of died out here, although with a few brief resurgences coinciding with some recent tournaments. In hopes of bringing regular, quality PvP back to the SPF I've created this thread at the urging of some of my fellow PvP'ers. From now on I'll try to host PvP games on a semi-regular basis, although the hope is that other people will host their own games as well.

Questions about dueling in general

Q: Will I lose experience when I die?

A: No experience is lost when you're killed by another player. Just try not to let a stray quill rat finish you off if you're stuck at 1 hp.

Q: How do the different mods affect PvP?
A: With 1.11, the RW's granted by the RWM have become useable even in a game hosted by a vanilla player. If the game host specifies vanilla, however, please leave your RW items at home if you intend on joining with a RWM character. As far as 'taint' goes, my personal feeling is that it's a non-issue when it comes to duel games. The characters aren't gaining anything in the form of items, gold, or experience (except the host who usually clears the field of monster beforehand) and will generally leave the game in the exact same state that they came in.

Q: Will my *insert character here* do well?
A: Generally speaking, the best PvP characters are those made and equipped with PvP specifically in mind rather than a normal PvM character. Nevertheless, you can get a general feel of what does and doesn't work by reading through the rules. If you're still not sure, join a game and find out firsthand.

PvP Rules
These are the generally accepted rules for PvP that try to make it fair for a variety of characters and players. In any given game, however, the host may set his or her own rules that may differ from those listed below. In any case try to respect the host's wishes, or create your own game with your own rules if you so desire.

General Rules
* Please try to be polite, so don't town guard, corpse guard, steal gold, etc.
* High level dueling takes place in Nightmare difficulty, low level dueling takes place in Normal.
* Potions, wells, shrines and mercenaries are not allowed.
* The only minions allowed (with the exception of the Amazon’s decoy) are those that can be summoned in town. Other minions, like the Necromancer’s revives, skeletons or magi, are not allowed.
* Duels only start when both parties have clearly stated their readiness.
* Characters requiring arrows or bolts must have their full supply on their character (in their hand, inventory or Horadric Cube). They will not be allowed to return to town if they run out of arrows or bolts during a duel, although extra quivers may be dropped just inside town to facilitate easier replenishment between duels.
* Leaving the Blood Moor is a loss for you, or your team (whichever applies)
* In a team duel, you must stay in town if you die until the duel is over.

Equipment Rules

* Bugged, hacked or duped items cannot be used – 1.07 crafted items are included in this category.
* All “1.07/1.08 vita†items like Arkaine’s Valor, Harlequin’s Crest, Baranar’s Star and Gerke’s Sanctuary are not allowed. The 1.09 or 1.10 versions of these items are acceptable, however.
* Items with the “Slows Target by X%†modifier are not allowed on physical-damage attackers (for example, Cleglaw’s Claw or Blackhorn’s Face). A caster character like a Necromancer or Sorceress, however, can use Blackhorn’s Face or other items with the “Slows Target by X%†modifier if they want.
* Items with the “Knockback†modifier are not allowed on any character class. Skills that provide a knockback effect (for example, Smite, Bash, Charge or Leap Attack) are still allowable.
* Total Life Replenish from items and skills combined is limited to 25.
* Poison damage is limited to 200 from items, per player. Poison damage from skills (for example, Venom or Poison Nova) is allowed in any amount.
* All duellers may use items that provide auras, with the exception of the “Doom†runeword as it provides the Holy Freeze aura.
* Each character is only allowed to wear two sources of +max resist/absorb per element. For poison, Poison Length Reduction gear will count as absorb. For example, you may wear 2 Ravenfrosts or 1 Ravenfrost and a Guardian Angel, but not 2 Ravenfrosts and a Guardian Angel. Items like Thundergod's Vigor with both +max resist and absorb will count as both of your two sources for that element, so you may not wear Thundergod's Vigor in conjunction with another item that provides +max resist lightning, +max resist all, or +lightning absorb. Finally, putting points into the paladin's passive resist skills will count as a source of +max resist.
* The Rising Sun amulet is not allowed on any character class.
* Blackoak Luna is not allowed on any character class.

Faster Run/Walk Restrictions
Maximum of 110% frw combined from skills, gear, and charms. For example, a Barbarian with 30% frw from Increased Speed can have no more than 80% frw from gear and charms. The skills that give frw are Frenzy, Feral Rage, Increased Speed, Vigor, and Burst of Speed. If you're going to be using any of these skills, plan your frw accordingly.

Banned Skills

The following skills are not to be used at any stage of a duel. They may have points invested in them as a pre-requisite for higher-tier skills or for synergy benefits.

* Lifetap
* Amplify Damage
* Iron Maiden
* Bone Prison (Necromancer)
* Decrepify (Necromancer)
* Blessed Hammer and Concentration at the same time (Paladin)
* Holy Bolt (Paladin)
* Holy Freeze (Paladin)
* Blaze (Sorceress)
* Teleport (Sorceress)

These items may not be used in the form of class skills, o-skills granted by items, charges, or chance to cast when striking.

Skill Restrictions

The following skills are capped or have limitations regarding their use in duels.

* Bone Armor (Necromancer) - It cannot be cast more than once per duel.
* Cyclone Armor (Druid) - It cannot be cast more than once per duel.

New changes to the rules:
Use of the warcries on Call to Arms is now allowed for all classes.
Use of item charges is now allowed, unless the charge is of a banned skill.
New absorb rules - see equipment section.
No more skill level cap on bone spirit (old cap was slvl 33).

Well that should cover everything. I plan to host a game in about an hour and a half, so come on in if you're interested.

Word yo. Kab and I have been dueling off and on for weeks, and now we're looking to expand the culture and infect everyone with the bug. There is a lot to learn about the game once you hit "hostile." And don't worry, it's all in good fun. Kab and I should have a game up later tonight, so please drop by!

crg

necrolemming said:
Go Kab. :)

Regarding the new rules, I don't think there's anything wrong with charges or the new absorb rule, but how balanced is the new BS cap?

Also, is my shiny beta CtA still GG?

My feeling is that allowing CtA on everyone will balance out the higher damage of bone spirit. The necro will also likely have to sacrifice a large chunk of life and mana to cram his inventory full of skillers, so I'm hoping that everything will work out well in the end.

I'd say the beta CtA is gg, although it kind of falls into a grey area (and it's not like you don't use it already on your barb :p). Items from earlier patches and beta are allowed, but vita items like 1.08 Shako aren't. I don't think it'll make too big of a difference, although if start winning too much I may have to rethink that. ;)

kabal said:
High level duels now (see first post for details) :D

Game down. Hopefully more people will join in the future, it's a good time.

Teleport (Sorceress) ? So my barb can use an enigma and teleport now can he ? If so boners will **** anything!!!

- ocau_mikle

OCAU_MIKLE said:
Teleport (Sorceress) ? So my barb can use an enigma and teleport now can he ? If so boners will **** anything!!!

- ocau_mikle
Note the sentence below.
kabal said:
These items (he means skills ;) ) may not be used in the form of class skills, o-skills granted by items, charges, or chance to cast when striking.

OCAU_MIKLE said:

- ocau_mikle
Banned skills (teleport) are banned for all characters. i.e. Enigma teleport is banned, as are tele charges.

crg

Just a thing to say against Poison Length Reduce counting as absorb - Nightmare also has got an unseen Poison Length Reduce penalty, which is as big as the resistance penalty AFAIK.

So, unless having positive resists is not GG, Poison Length Reduce (up to a certain point of course) should also be treated as a resist. Also, Poison Length gets increased by -Poison Resist found on items (Trangs Shield, Web, Rainbow Facet), so rules on it should require some balancing, as Poison-users currently have the upper edge if compared to, let's say, Sorcs.

Masas said:
Just a thing to say against Poison Length Reduce counting as absorb - Nightmare also has got an unseen Poison Length Reduce penalty, which is as big as the resistance penalty AFAIK.

So, unless having positive resists is not GG, Poison Length Reduce (up to a certain point of course) should also be treated as a resist. Also, Poison Length gets increased by -Poison Resist found on items (Trangs Shield, Web, Rainbow Facet), so rules on it should require some balancing, as Poison-users currently have the upper edge if compared to, let's say, Sorcs.
Poison is easily taken care of by a tal'd venom ward, and 4 p emerald shield. That's +280 res, +15% poisons resistance and 50% plr, more than plenty. Even the tal'd ward alone gives +120 res and 50% plr, which should be fine.

Also, negative enemy resistances do NOT increase duration. They just lower resistance, which is then applied to the poison rate (damage/frame for X frames). This in turn has the affect of increasing the poison damage.

Dueling against poison is not difficult if properly prepared. This results in making a good PvP character with, in general, good footspeed, resistence and damage.

For example, in the Ear Cutting tourney, there were two poison-based characters, Sint's Poison Zon, and Liq's Achmel (who was uberly tricked out). My Wolfbarb defeated both in match play, because I ran stupidly fast, had stacked res, +res, and plr. This was when you could have no limit on plr, and 95% res (which I did, in wearing venom ward, venom grip and the 4 p emerald monarch). That said, elemental damage can be still reduced to tolerable amounts.

Poison does not have an extreme advantage.

crg

Crazy Runner Guy said:
Poison is easily taken care of by a tal'd venom ward, and 4 p emerald shield. That's +280 res, +15% poisons resistance and 50% plr, more than plenty. Even the tal'd ward alone gives +120 res and 50% plr, which should be fine.
What about high-level Fury/Rabies hybrids? Lame shield and armor would make this an easy target for fury.

Also, negative enemy resistances do NOT increase duration. They just lower resistance, which is then applied to the poison rate (damage/frame for X frames). This in turn has the affect of increasing the poison damage.
Test Results: -% Enemy Poison Resistance and it's effect on Poison Damage

Dueling against poison is not difficult if properly prepared. This results in making a good PvP character with, in general, good footspeed, resistence and damage.
dueling against anything is not difficult if properly prepared.

For example, in the Ear Cutting tourney, there were two poison-based characters, Sint's Poison Zon, and Liq's Achmel (who was uberly tricked out). My Wolfbarb defeated both in match play, because I ran stupidly fast, had stacked res, +res, and plr. This was when you could have no limit on plr, and 95% res (which I did, in wearing venom ward, venom grip and the 4 p emerald monarch). That said, elemental damage can be still reduced to tolerable amounts.
Yes.

Poison does not have an extreme advantage.
While not an extreme advantage, it still is quite significant.

crg

What about high-level Fury/Rabies hybrids? Lame shield and armor would make this an easy target for fury.
You don't need to wear a 4 p.emerald shield or even a Venom Ward since a Druid can't pack nearly as much -resists as a necro. Death's Gloves + Andariel's Visage would achieve the same effect without changing from your normal shield and armor, so you're not any more susceptible to Fury after stacking against Rabies.

dueling against anything is not difficult if properly prepared.
Do you see the contradiction in this statement?

Poison doesn't have any practical advantage over any other elements. I'm not going to crunch the numbers for you here, but during tests a Death's Gloves + 'Tal' Venom Ward combo (75% PLR * 50% PLR = 87.5% PLR, 90% max poison resist, 195% stacked poison resist) renders a 20k pnova harmless even with lower resist and a death's web. That 20k pnova is only obtainable using a 186% beta Bramble, so a typical necro would have a tough time breaking 10k pnova with a normal Bramble.

kabal said:
Poison doesn't have any practical advantage over any other elements. I'm not going to crunch the numbers for you here, but during tests a Death's Gloves + 'Tal' Venom Ward combo (75% PLR * 50% PLR = 87.5% PLR, 90% max poison resist, 195% stacked poison resist) renders a 20k pnova harmless even with lower resist and a death's web. That 20k pnova is only obtainable using a 186% beta Bramble, so a typical necro would have a tough time breaking 10k pnova with a normal Bramble.
I thought that's how PLR worked, but I remember seeing that that wasn't actually the case. (And I think it was from one of our stats gurus, although I can't remember who right now.) PLR adds together directly, but is capped at 75%. But, in NM and hell, it gets a penalty like regular resistances. (I can't remember if the numbers are the same as regular resistances.) The point is, that in NM, with no PLR, you will actually have a negative PLR, and poison will last longer. I'll see if I can track down the thread when I get home tonight to make sure I'm not imagining things.

It doesn't really matter though. Even if PLR works the way I think it does, with 2 sources available, its perfectly reasonable to bring PLR back into the positive, and coupled with resistance, I don't think poison characters would have an advantage.

One more random question. I'm curious, why is Blaze banned? I'm sure there is a good reason, I just couldn't think of it. :D

Edit: I'm almost tempted to start up a SC character to get my *** kicked. I need more time. :D

shleefin said:
why is teleport banned? dont wanna start debate, just curious.
Because it creates a rediculously unfair advantage for sorceresses, and with enigma, allows those few who have it, to effectively dominate with the best mobility skill in the game. In a nutshell, it was banned for the sake of balance. Other skills, such as lifetap, are patently unfair. Leech was severly nerfed in v1.11/v1.11, and to bring in something that can leech back entire bulbs quickly is also unfair.

crg

Cattleya said:
I thought that's how PLR worked, but I remember seeing that that wasn't actually the case. (And I think it was from one of our stats gurus, although I can't remember who right now.) PLR adds together directly, but is capped at 75%. But, in NM and hell, it gets a penalty like regular resistances. (I can't remember if the numbers are the same as regular resistances.) The point is, that in NM, with no PLR, you will actually have a negative PLR, and poison will last longer. I'll see if I can track down the thread when I get home tonight to make sure I'm not imagining things.

It doesn't really matter though. Even if PLR works the way I think it does, with 2 sources available, its perfectly reasonable to bring PLR back into the positive, and coupled with resistance, I don't think poison characters would have an advantage.

One more random question. I'm curious, why is Blaze banned? I'm sure there is a good reason, I just couldn't think of it. :D

Edit: I'm almost tempted to start up a SC character to get my *** kicked. I need more time. :D

Was that PLR info posted at the SPF? I remember a thread here not too long ago, and the consensus was that it stacks the way I thought it did. I suppose I should read the other forums a bit more frequently than I do.

As for blaze, my guess is that it's banned because a sorc with high frw could fill an entire screen with flames causing a massive FPS slowdown (i.e. when Shenk dies). I've never seen a blaze sorc in action so this is speculation on my part, but I somehow doubt that it's an overpowering PvP skill. :p

Crazy Runner Guy said:
Because it creates a rediculously unfair advantage for sorceresses, and with enigma, allows those few who have it, to effectively dominate with the best mobility skill in the game. In a nutshell, it was banned for the sake of balance. Other skills, such as lifetap, are patently unfair. Leech was severly nerfed in v1.11/v1.11, and to bring in something that can leech back entire bulbs quickly is also unfair.

Yeah, it's all about the mobility. In 1.09 many SPvP'ers used ungodly amounts of FRW to try and combat teleport. It became more about who had the most FRW rather than the better character and dueling skills. I remember my 1.09 necro who was outfitted with a Stealth (25%), .08 Valkwing (30%), and .07 M'avina's belt (40%) along with a stash full of charms. Since the speeds were so great, many players desynched in battle and it just boiled down to an unfun experience. With the onset of 1.10, we decided that a FRW cap should be in place, but with a cap, teleport would have a distinct advantage as a character could never catch a competent teleporter. So, for the sake of balance it was banned.

Blaze was simply banned because its a terribly lag-inducing skill. It's a move that requires an opponent to stand in your low damage fire. You're not going to kill anyone with it, you're just going to lag the game up.

Oh, and CRG, don't hold your win above my head! :p Though you scared Achmel and I purposely tried to stay opposite you in the bracket, I was pretty certain the next time we would fight the outcome would be different. My problem was that I was treating you like a standard player where Rabies all but eats them alive. I figured it out after our matchup and my 12K AR was like a 29% chance to hit you, which was utter crap. If we had fought again, I'd have used charms, Jalals, Maras, and whatever else +skill stuff was in my stash to prebuff Werewolf and then switch to a couple AR grands and Metalgrids (I didn't have Angelic in stash) and standard gear. Though it doesn't sound like much, it would have given me another huge chunk of life and a much better (60ish%) chance to hit. Though maybe it wouldn't have mattered against your pwnz0r wolfbarb... :D

kabal said:
Was that PLR info posted at the SPF? I remember a thread here not too long ago, and the consensus was that it stacks the way I thought it did. I suppose I should read the other forums a bit more frequently than I do.

As for blaze, my guess is that it's banned because a sorc with high frw could fill an entire screen with flames causing a massive FPS slowdown (i.e. when Shenk dies). I've never seen a blaze sorc in action so this is speculation on my part, but I somehow doubt that it's an overpowering PvP skill. :p

PLR is in fact penalized in NM and Hell (-40 and -100 respectivly)

Although as pointed out there are easy enough ways to combat this. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High