The end of an era Tuesdaily, Turning the page.

Kestegs

Aug 27, 2008
WoT incoming!!!!!!!

RL: I'm struggling to put together the words to say this, but it must be said. After 3+ years as an active member of this forum I am leaving. This is probably one of the hardest things I've done in my life. To say that the people here are my friends would be a massive disservice to you all. The people here have been a huge part of my life over the last few years, and I will cherish the memories that I've made here for years to come I know. I have shared good times, bad times, and much laughter with all of you. I have truly enjoyed reading about your lives, your struggles, and your accomplishments in life. I have also enjoyed sharing the experience of video games with you. When I first posted here I had no idea what I was in store for.

But the time has come for me to turn the page on this part of my life and start a new one. I have been playing video games for most of my life, beginning with the NES when I was only 7 or 8 years old. By the time I was in High school I had developed a severe addiction to video games. There were ebbs and flows in my gaming, but I could never break free from their power. There were times when I would put gaming ahead of anything in my life, especially in the last few years. This includes my wife, my children, and my God. I likely played games around 40 hours a week on average over the past few years. Add a full time job to that and you don't have a lot of time left for other things, and the time I was actually spending with others was often just me looking at the forums, because you don't get to nearly 50k posts by not posting a lot every day. Fortunately for me I have a loving and forgiving wife, family, and God. I have proven time and time again that I cannot be responsible with video games or with this forum, and so I must say goodbye. I'm not saying I will never play video games or visit this forum again, but it will not be any time soon, and hopefully never in the same capacity as it was before.

I'm not exactly sure what I will do with my new found time, but I plan on rebuilding the relationships that have long been neglected for starters. I want you all to know that I don't regret the time I've spent here, I just regret what else I've missed out on. Getting to know all of you has been a joy, and the tears I am now shedding thinking about not seeing you every day are the proof. I also don't wish to make anyone else feel guilty for using this forum or playing video games, this is a personal struggle, and I know that many of you can do these things responsibly.

My mumble server will still be up, so please feel free to use it as long as it's around, which I think is about 8 more months.

If you would like to get a hold of me for any reason you can send me an email at
Beeselectric{at}gmail{dot}com
, I would love to hear from you. I will possibly be around until the end of the day, but after that you will need to email me to get a message to me.

D2/OVG: TL;DR: Nope :)

Woah! I didn't expect that when I read the title...

kestegs, I'm proud of you for doing what you are doing, but I will miss you around here - although I haven't been around much lately...but still! It has always been fun with you. I hope you enjoy the time you have with your family and friends - but if you are as funny and nice a guy in RL like you have been here, I'm sure you will be more than fine in RL without video games or the SPF :) Take care, God bless you and your family and hope our paths will somehow cross again!

RL: Phew, kestegs' post made me think...I was feeling like I neglected the SPF the last few months, but after reading kestegs' post and thinking about it for more than a moment, I think I'm fine with how it is: work and family making up the big part of my life and video games becoming less important. I don't say I'll leave, but don't expect me to be around as much as ... say 2008 or so... :wink: Well now, back to my family now, I guess :crazyeyes:

D2: Did finish Act I NM with my Green and Golden tourney Phoenix Striker over the last few weeks. Will probably need another 20 months or so to finish NM :) But hey! Once my daughter is old enough (i.e. once she's 8), she can finish her, can't she???

OVG: Played 1 hour of PoE the last few days. Interesting, but I lack the time to get myself acquainted to the system (i.e. where to put passives, how do crits work, is elemental damage better etc.).

Dang. Wish you could stay around, but I completely understand the reasoning, and wish you all the best in spending your new found free time! You will be missed.

There goes my chance of beating Thyiads record for mafia game with most posts. I'll never be able to achieve it without you.

On a more serious note, it takes a lot of effort to say no to games if they've player (;)) a big part in your life. So I salute you for being able to do it.

I hope you find joy and happiness in your future. Family are there to stay until the end, while we are just passing by your life.

Best of luck kestegs.

Thank you for your time kestegs. It was a joy to get to know you and talk to you. It is a great thing to do for you to cut down on your own selfish desires to spend more time with your family. I applaud that. Maybe in a while you can get some sort of balance so that you can play a few hours a week without feeling guilty. I wish you all the best with your life, but I do hope to talk to you again within a decade. Remember, this is the place where you can check-out but never leave. ;)

*cuddles kestegs for an hour*

I'll miss you!

I just met you, so I am really surprised at how very sad I am to hear this. I understand completely and I have so much respect for your choice. I will miss you a lot.

Oh man :(. Totally understandable. I wish you the best. Good luck with everything.

Kestegs! You can't leave me here with this hooligans all alone!

No but seriously, I wish you luck in your new found game free environment. I sometimes wish I could do the same but I'm not sure I'm ready to give it up quite yet.

Good luck with the family, kegs!

I completely understand the need to cut off all your ties, I wish you well! Fortunately my wife as chosen for me what to cut off where (lol sounds bad), and I can only manage 2-7 hours per week gaming.

Good luck with everything. I understand your reasoning and can't say I'm too surprised. You'll find a balance sometime, I'm sure.

Well ,there goes half of the bar posts... :p

dude, the bar is never gonna hit a 100k now. I was so looking forward to lurk-snatching that one.

Jokes aside, you will be missed. I haven't interacted that much with you lately (/general lack of OT posting from my sid), but you were one of the main reasons I originally got hooked to the forums. Thank you for all the good times, the endless conversations in the bar, the many fun mafia games, etc. The forums won't be the same without you, and I think we will all be looking forward to the day where you hopefully pop in again. That being said, I respect and understand your decision and wish you the best of luck!

I hope everything goes great and good luck with all. I wish I had the courage to do (at least partially) the same.

There aren't any sufficient words, kestegs.

I admire your decision and wish you the very best in life.

And ... it'd be awesome if you popped back now and again. :)

*ties string to kestegs*

There aren't any sufficient words, kestegs.

I admire your decision and wish you the very best in life.

And ... it'd be awesome if you popped back now and again. :)

*ties string to kestegs*

Can't you do something? Put him in his place :loving:

Best wishes Kestegs, you'll get an email every now and then so long as you don't call football soccer :badteeth:

I am going to miss you mate. I definitely understand the decision, I made the same call a few years back (obviously I came back, but I did manage to kick the habit of foruming at work :p). Good luck and I hope to see you back at some point (but obviously not in the same capacity as before).

Good Game.

I haven't you for very long, Kegsy! But in the times I've known ya, you've been pretty cool! Good luck with everything!

Kestegs, I wish you the the best. The best in family, faith and everything that life has to offer. Look for the little things in life. Enjoy the time with your kids and wife. They should be number 1. I admire you for taking this difficult decision. I wish you luck in persevering and hope that you do stop by now and then just to say hello and tell us how you're doing. We want to know. Enjoy!

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High