The Baldur's Gate Sept Project

smloeffelholz

Jun 15, 2018
I have been planning this project for a while now, so I guess I should get it started. I have always preferred to play caster type builds in D2. This project will help me to play builds that I have never completed the game with. This thread will be used for all planning, theorycrafting, and updates as I make progress with the sept.

Rules:
1. All characters will be twinked SC characters that play through the game at a minimum difficulty of P7/P7/P3.
2. All builds will need to be viable from the start without using a "starter build" to get through the early difficulties (ie. no using fissure to fly through normal before using a respec to your actual build).
3. Respecs are allowed, but only to retool stats once twinked gear is available.
4. All quests in all difficulties will be completed before the character becomes a Mat/Pat.
5. The builds will try to relate to the BG character in some way.

Let me introduce you to the members of the Sept, fresh from the Forgotten Realms. I haven't made up my mind on all of the builds yet, and I am open to suggestions if you have fun builds in mind.

Amazon - Imoen - She will be some kind of bowazon, but I'm not sure what kind yet. I was thinking strafe/FA. It seems like it could be a fun build, and it makes sense with Imoen being a mage that uses bows.

Assassin - Alora - I am really up in the air about this one, but I am thinking some kind of kicksin build. I have never made one before so I am open to suggestions.

Necromancer - Edwin - I am thinking that a bonemancer would be a fun build and fitting for Edwin. I haven't played this type of character since the Marrowwalk glitch, and even then I never finished the game with it.

Barbarian - Minsc - He has to be a berserker. There are just no other options in my mind. I am thinking of doing the version that has a bunch of one point wonders instead of fully maxing berserk damage, but I'm not sure yet.

Paladin - Ajantis - I hate to admit this, but I have never finished a fanaticism zealer. I have an eth Reaper's that would be really helpful on an A2 merc next to this guy. Since a zeal paladin was the first character I ever made in D2, I think this needs to be finished.

Sorceress - Aerie - She is the one that started this whole idea. I wanted to make a dedicated LK sorc, so she is in A2 hell as a light/FO sorc.

Druid - Cernd - He has to be a shapeshifter. I was initially thinking of making a fury druid, but I am worried about this being too similar to the zealer. I was also toying with the idea of a fireclaws bear. Either way, Cernd will cross the finish line in some form that is not human.

I was planning on doing pretty sparse updates, but some people seemed to like the more thorough updates I was doing in the Three-Way Redux tournament. If anyone is interested in the same kind of write-up so you can follow along with these characters, let me know.

I think that's an awesome idea! Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 will always have a special place in my heart.
Looking forward to see your progress and thoughts.

A thumbs up from
View attachment 12785

... and posthumously from Abidalzim, the 87 bone spirit necromancer.
Let me get this straight. Nalia, the whiney, spoiled, rich-girl mage, made it all the way through Hell difficulty. Abi-Dalzim, the brilliant mage who invented the devastating spell Horrid Wilting, was somehow killed. I knew there were bugs in D2, but that is just unforgivable.

Let me get this straight. Nalia, the whiney, spoiled, rich-girl mage, made it all the way through Hell difficulty. Abi-Dalzim, the brilliant mage who invented the devastating spell Horrid Wilting, was somehow killed. I knew there were bugs in D2, but that is just unforgivable.
Nalia had better party members.

Once I posted this idea, I got pretty excited about getting started on the characters. Since Aerie was already in A2 Hell, I just wanted to push her until she was a Matriarch. I wasn't having as much fun with light/FO as I was hoping, as the build just felt like an underpowered blizzballer or meteorb. I decided to finish the game as quickly as I could, only killing necessary targets and boss packs as I saw fit.

Man does it feel nice to be back in the world of SC. I was able to fly through the rest of A2 and A3 without a care in the world. I decided to skip all WPs except LK and Durance 2, so that really made A3 fly. After playing HC with gear and skill limitations, this was wonderful. I also notice the difference in my play quality after spending so long in HC, which is a nice takeaway from the long tournament. It wasn't long before Izual was dead, and I was ready to claim my reward from the forge.

hbVTCcC.jpg

It is always nice to see an Ist rune. Also, after my last 3 Hell forges resulted in 2 Fal and a Lum, it was a welcome change of pace. Aerie used this motivation to cruise through the Chaos Sanctuary and put an end to the Lord of Terror.

AsZpXru.jpg

A5 went really fast as well. I was still skipping a lot of WPs, and I forgot how much time it saves when you aren't scanning each area for the WP. I did get a little frustrated when I got to the ancients. They killed my HC sorceress because they refused to split up, and a stray throwing axe combined with a well timed whirlwind did her in. This time, the ancients obediently followed me one by one to an isolated corner of the map and died. Aerie took out her frustration on Baal, and he didn't last long under her fury.

yc6cwUA.jpg

I then used her first respec to turn into a fire sorc. The plan was to do Pindle/Andy runs on P3 until she got to the upper 80's or even low 90's. This plan quickly hit several snags. First, without an Infinity merc, Pindle's mob on P3 was taking too much time. The second problem was that the FIs around Andy were making her kills really dangerous and messy. Finally, I couldn't justify missing out on several items from Mephisto just to have a slight increase in my chance at jewelry (although I did find 3 Gheeds in my short time with Andy).

Basically, I chickened out and went back to something very familiar. I respeced into a blizzard sorc and rolled a 2 teleport Mephisto map. You might not believe it, by my Pindle map in the same seed was the best I have ever seen. ;) The runs were going OK, but my merc couldn't handle Mephisto very well. I was doing the moat trick, but I didn't like how much time it was taking. After switching to an ethereal Blackhorn's Face and an ethereal Reaper's Toll, the merc could tank long enough to let me get the kill. From 82-85, she had a few good drops.

p5Cav1V.jpg

f2NcU7c.jpg

pbeaHSu.jpg
Code:
Plague Gyre
Jewel
Required Level: 37
Fingerprint: 0xede8271e
Item Level: 87
Version: Expansion 1.10+
26% Enhanced Damage
+15 to Minimum Damage
+27 to Attack Rating

Wraith Talisman
Jewel
Required Level: 37
Fingerprint: 0xc1c5cb42
16% Enhanced Damage
Adds 8 - 7 Damage
Lightning Resist +10%

Pain Fist
Sharkskin Gloves
Defense: 49
Durability: 11 of 14
Required Level: 64
Required Strength: 20
Fingerprint: 0xa75e17b
+2 to Passive and Magic Skills (Amazon Only)
+20% Increased Attack Speed
+24% Enhanced Defense
+9 to Dexterity
Fire Resist +9%
Level 2 Ice Arrow (21/25 Charges)

Then it happened. A moment that I have been waiting for since I started seriously doing MF runs. It finally dropped.

1dKBsEE.jpg

OK, I realize that this isn't a huge deal, but I have been seriously frustrated by my inability to find a Homonculus. I found a Darkforce Spawn and 2 Boneflame before this guy showed up. Since I now have all of the endgame equipment assembled, it is time for Edwin to head out into the Blood Moor. This should be a nice break from Pindle/Meph runs as Aerie heads towards level 90.

Aerie - Matriarch - A5 Hell - L85 - Pindle/Meph runs
Edwin - No Title - A1 Normal - L1 - Questing
Ajantis - Not yet created
Alora - Not yet created
Imoen - Not yet created
Cernd - Not yet created
Minsc - Not yet created

Aerie has been making steady progress towards level 90. She isn't too happy about the prospect of being permanently stuck in Lower Kurast, but she is trying to have some fun while she is getting there. She went from 85-88 doing mostly P1 Mephisto/Pindle runs. There was a short stint where she was doing P3 Pindle alone, but the drops were really lacking. Also, I am missing too many exceptional/jewelry uniques to pass up on Mephisto's drops. The strategy has been working well, and I have ticked several items off of my grail list.

Code:
Steel Pillar
War Pike
Two Hand Damage: 115 - 624
Durability: 15 of 25
Required Level: 69
Required Strength: 165
Required Dexterity: 106
Fingerprint: 0x389f2b79
Item Level: 86
Indestructible
+25% Increased Attack Speed
251% Enhanced Damage
-20% Target Defense
25% Chance of Crushing Blow
+68% Enhanced Defense

Head Hunter's Glory
Troll Nest
Defense: 516
Chance to Block: 0
Durability: 52 of 74
Required Level: 75
Required Strength: 106
Fingerprint: 0xae1b4a8a
+348 Defense
+319 Defense vs. Missile
Fire Resist +30%
Poison Resist +34%
+5 Life after each Kill
3 Sockets (0 used)

Cerebus' Bite
Blood Spirit
Defense: 337
Durability: 15 of 20
Required Level: 63
Required Strength: 86
Fingerprint: 0x3114caf5
+4 to Shape-Shifting Skills (Druid Only)
68% Bonus to Attack Rating
10% Life stolen per hit
33% Chance of Open Wounds
+1 to Feral Rage (Druid Only)
+131% Enhanced Defense

Mara's Kaleidoscope
Amulet
Required Level: 67
Fingerprint: 0x15b1eacc
+2 to All Skills
All Stats +5
All Resistances +27

Bul-Kathos' Wedding Band
Ring
Required Level: 58
Fingerprint: 0x678525ef
+1 to All Skills
4% Life stolen per hit
+4 to Life (Based on Character Level)
+50 Maximum Stamina

Flamebellow
Balrog Blade
One Hand Damage: 42 - 210
Two Hand Damage: 154 - 330
Durability: 33 of 50
Required Level: 71
Required Strength: 185
Required Dexterity: 87
Fingerprint: 0x26d2aa30
12% Chance to cast level 16 Firestorm on striking
+3 to Fire Skills
180% Enhanced Damage
Adds 233 - 482 Fire Damage
+13 to Inferno
+12 to Strength
+9 to Vitality
Fire Absorb 30%

Heaven's Light
Mighty Scepter
One Hand Damage: 160 - 208
Durability: 25 of 50
Required Level: 61
Required Strength: 125
Required Dexterity: 65
Fingerprint: 0x11fadc24
+2 to Paladin Skill Levels
+20% Increased Attack Speed
300% Enhanced Damage
-33% Target Defense
+150% Damage to Undead
33% Chance of Crushing Blow
+15 Life after each Demon Kill
+3 to Light Radius
2 Sockets (0 used)

Doombringer
Champion Sword
One Hand Damage: 101 - 260
Two Hand Damage: 240 - 346
Durability: 32 of 40
Required Level: 69
Required Strength: 163
Required Dexterity: 103
Fingerprint: 0x3e1a55da
8% Chance to cast level 3 Weaken on striking
Indestructible
197% Enhanced Damage
Adds 30 - 100 Damage
40% Bonus to Attack Rating
7% Life stolen per hit
Increase Maximum Life 20%

Mephisto also dropped a Gul rune which was a nice surprise. I think I will stick with Mephisto/Pindle until she hits level 90. I then plan to start the process of rolling a Lower Kurast map for long term farming.

In between the runs with Aerie, I have started playing with Edwin. I was going to include an update for him, but he will not allow it. I believe he said, "I will not allow a simian of your embarrassingly low intellect to speak for me in public." Apparently Edwin will be writing his own updates when he has time.

I was planning on each character writing their own updates, but I have run into a bit of a problem. Playing with Edwin is incredibly fun, but being twinked really eliminates the challenge. None of the finds really matter, because his equipment is lightyears ahead of what he can find. With little to no chance of dying and the ability to steamroll P8, it doesn't make for a very intriguing story. I think I am going to stick to simple updates, and not waste time writing a story that is not shaping up to be worth reading.

After abandoning cows, I returned to this project. I started running with Aerie again, and she made it to L89 and put a good dent in the next level. Meph and Pindle must have been glad to see me return, because they quickly ticked off several grail items to celebrate.

Code:
Vidala's Ambush
Leather Armor
Defense: 66
Durability: 12 of 24
Required Level: 14
Required Strength: 15
Fingerprint: 0xe0d03efa
+50 Defense
+11 to Dexterity
Set (2 items): Fire Resist +24%
Set (3 items): +222 Defense (Based on Character Level)

Rainbow Facet
Jewel
Required Level: 49
Fingerprint: 0xbba4b45e
100% Chance to cast level 51 Poison Nova when you Die
Adds 37 Poison Damage Over 2 Secs (50 Frames)
-5% to Enemy Poison Resistance
+3% to Poison Skill Damage

Ondal's Wisdom
Elder Staff
Two Hand Damage: 80 - 93
Durability: 31 of 35
Required Level: 66
Required Strength: 44
Required Dexterity: 37
Fingerprint: 0xde969e49
+3 to All Skills
+45% Faster Cast Rate
+496 Defense
+46 to Energy
Magic Damage Reduced by 5
+5% to Experience Gained

Saracen's Chance
Amulet
Required Level: 47
Fingerprint: 0x61a2e6c5
10% Chance to cast level 2 Iron Maiden when struck
All Stats +12
All Resistances +17

Crescent Moon
Amulet
Required Level: 50
Fingerprint: 0x3df7fc44
15% Mana stolen per hit
5% Life stolen per hit
+45 to Mana
Magic Damage Reduced by 10
10% Damage Taken Goes To Mana
-2 to Light Radius

Blackhand Key
Grave Wand
One Hand Damage: 13 - 29
Durability: 11 of 15
Required Level: 41
Required Strength: 25
Fingerprint: 0x2cfccd47
+1 to Curses (Necromancer only)
+2 to Necromancer Skill Levels
+30% Faster Cast Rate
+50 to Life
Fire Resist +37%
20% Damage Taken Goes To Mana
-2 to Light Radius
Level 13 Grim Ward (23/30 Charges)

I also got 2 more Arachnid Mesh and a handful of other useful drops.

Edwin is finished with normal and just rescued Cain in NM. He has been a blast to play, but is having almost no trouble on P8 in NM. I am still loving the build, and I look forward to the challenge of P3 hell.

Code:
Aerie - Matriarch - A5 Hell - L89 - Pindle/Meph runs
Edwin - Slayer - A1 Nightmare - L47 - Questing
Ajantis - Not yet created
Alora - Not yet created
Imoen - Not yet created
Cernd - Not yet created
Minsc - Not yet created

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High