The 1.09 Blender Assassin Revival Project

RobbyD

Jun 16, 2009
The 1.09 Blender Assassin Revival Project

This has been building in another thread, but I wanted to make a dedicated thread to the testing of this build. The idea is to exploit an imbalance in the Blade Shield skill in 1.09 that was fixed in 1.10+ (in that Crushing Blow is delivered through the skill and the range of the skill is based on the weapon) to make an Assassin that makes monsters die by standing near them. The effect is taken a step further if CB is delivered to a frozen target - they reportedly shatter immediately upon application of Blade Shield with this combination. My plan is to test this using HFT from Iceblink, but also testing the 3rd charge of Phoenix Strike for its reportedly lengthy freeze length.

The key to this build is to achieve 100% CB with gear and keep Blade Shield up.

Right now, I know of two other players, snooker and Eric Xanthu, that are working on creating this character.

Right now my Sin, "Osterizer", is level 24 ready to take on the Act 2 Palace cellar, and using a comination of Angelic, Sigon's, and Death sets to waltz through the early game. Relying on the bugged Claw Mastery, she is using Burst of Speed and Tiger Strike with a nice rare claw I picked up at some point:

Code:
Soul Fist
Blade Talons
One-Hand Damage: 30 to 44
Durability: 59 of 69
(Assassin Only)
Required Dexterity: 50
Required Strength: 50
Required Level: 22
Claw Class - Fast Attack Speed
Item Version: Expansion
Item Level: 77
Fingerprint: 0xef392481
+122% Enhanced Damage
+70 to Attack Rating
+6 to Minimum Damage
+11 to Maximum Damage
7% Life stolen per hit
+1 to Assassin Skill Levels

This is basically "Honor"-light in a claw - very nice for the level. Bartuc's will obviously be used at level 42 for the PS weapon switch.

Once she is level 30, I will simultaneously pump Blade Shield, Shadow Master, and Phoenix Strike with the skill points I've been saving up. At level 35, she will sport a "Black" Knout and Guillaume's Face along with Iceblink and Goblin Toe to deliver HFT + CB via Blade Shield to enter the "Blender" phase of her progression.

I will report on my observations.

BTW, credit for the title of this thread goes to Eric Xanthu - he coined it.

Re: The 1.09 Blender Assassin Revival Project

I've had a 1.09 blender assassin on my "to do" list for years. Here is a write up from 2004 that I intend to use, one day.

Progress Report!

Sigon's + Bonesnap and an Act 2 Merc using Honor Lance cruised me through the first four acts.

At level 30 I started wearing Iceblink and Goblin Toe, using BS when I got mobbed...even at Bonesnap's range of 1, with 65% crushing blow I was still blenderizing pretty nicely. I'm now 37, pumping PS for down the road and BS for duration. 48 seconds is a whole lot better than 20! Hone Sundan is working out nicely. The range boost has been a big help.

Which makes me realize I really don't want to grind for a Guillaume's and a String of Ears. What do you want for them, Robby? Of course they'll probably both drop as soon as I trade for them. :(

In NM I lost the level advantage which had me popcorning everything in Normal. I switched over to PS with Bartuc's and Moser's. That's taken me to Act 3 NM, where I expect the mobbing flayers will give my BS a good workout.

Hone Sundan has been terrific with BS, but it might have to be retired until cowing. My assassin is a bit too fragile to take that many hits.

Update on Osterizer...

Got her to level 30 to make SW, BS, and PS available. She's been pwning with TS with that claw on P8 up to now. I made "Strength" in a Wrist Spike that was plenty good against Duriel. I put an "Honor" Yari in the merc's hands to replace the Bloodthief, and his pwnage has skyrocked as well.

I did a little testing of BS with Goblin Toe, Iceblink, and that "Strength" Wrist Spike, but the short duration and the fact that everything is going down so quick to regular attacks has moved the real testing to level 35, when "Black" and G-Face become available.

I changed her gear to remove the sets combo and put on Peasant Crown, Iceblink, Goblin Toe, but keeping Death gloves+belt for now. I also made "Rhyme" in a Grim Shield to replace Sigon's.

I like that Shadow Master - it's fun watching her use skills I haven't tried yet.

So, the long and short of it is - pwnage with bugged Claw Mastery and a nice claw continues - stay tuned for level 35 for a real test of Blade Shield.

My Sorc found another Mentalist GC, so I'll try to find room for that (CM and SM will benefit).

Act 5 NM. I stayed in Bloody Foothills for several levels. When I hit 61, I started to regain my level advantage for freezing and the killing got...really fast. Really fast. I'm to 63 now and I'm starting to get some popcorn effect. I think I'll resume questing at 64. The only gear left unused is SS which has to wait a while still.

I have a ton of points saved because I'm not maxing anything other than PS for now. Right now I can easily see myself never using them, dumping them in Cobra for giggles, or doing some testing with Blade Sentinel.

Found an Ist on my last run.

I'm waiting for the YouTube videos. :)

Got my Sin to level 40 currently with the 1st WP of Act 5 (I hate the marathon through the teleporting Imps and barracades to get to the Chrystalline Passage, so I'll just have to double down and get it done).

I've got the setup for Blender (trying out a Strength Greater Talons as well as a Black Knout), but the duration is so pitiful I haven't used it as a major means of killing, especially since PS is pwning the monsters so effectively. I have some skill points saved, and I'm debating dumping those into BS so the duration makes the skill usable. I'm also wanting to get to 42 to don Bartuc's and get those Entrapping skillers in her inventory. Also want to replace the hideous Rhyme Grim Shield with a Rhyme Heater.

I have tried BS out with a 100% and 85% CB setup though, but it's not really living up to what my hopes were - like I said, PS is just ridiculous so far. But, once I get BS to a playable duration, I'll give it another serioud go.

One thing I've noticed is that the Shadow Master seems to be using skills I don't have a point in - it seems like she has access to all Sin skills - maybe I'm mistaken, but that's how it seems so far.

The shadow master can use all assassin skills. That's why I like the shadow warrior better; she'll only use what you have the R/L mouse button set to.

And I second the youtube request (been following this and the previous thread).

Magic level on BS is 11...it has a duration of 60 seconds then. I doubt more points are worth it after that.

I'm not set up for recording but I'd consider looking into it if Hell Cows is super-successful.

At level 68 I killed NM Baal. Cows went smoothly: I had enough levels to freeze them reliably but not enough to popcorn them. Repair is killer in the cows...3 or 4 trips to town just to do one clear. I plan to stick around for a while to see if I can get enough level advantage to popcorn them, and then repair costs should drop.

In the meantime, PS charge 2 (chain lightning) is an extremely effective finisher. I freeze a 2-deep circle of cows, CB knocks them down to <1/4 hp almost right away, and then the CL pops them all.

You could use Strength in a phase blade and craft some blood gloves. You wouldn't be at 100% CB but that could get you to 95% (if 1.09 blood gloves get 10%CB).

Oh I have 100% CB now. What I've learned is that CB is not what delivers the shattering blow--at least not by itself. It's at least partially level dependant (just like HFT), which is why this build is constantly stopping to overlevel.

Osterizer made Slayer last night, and is ready to take on some cows. She runs with full Orphan's (not a horrible set, actually, though I miss some +skills). She's level 47 and runs with Bartuc's and 'Strength' Greater Talons on switch - Bartuc's is basically for BoS and BS casting (I may go with dual Bartuc's if it turns out I never use that switch for combat), 'Stength' for combat (to pump the CB delivered by BS).

Some observations:

She's not a barb. When I took her into the fray with Baal's Minions of Destruction, she got bounced around a little bit. They seem to ignore blocking... I wonder if they would ignore weapon block the same... maybe I will put a point in WB and try them with dual Bartuc's.

Her regular attack to release the charges misses quite a lot right now, and that's with pumping dex to maintain blocking and having pumped her level (and RF ring on one hand). And that's with claws. I'll have to see how she performs with the 'Black' Knout against cows.

With PS on RMB, she targets her merc and SM (never actually hitting them) if she's near them instead of the monsters! What a bug to make it to 1.09! I didn't notice that with TS.

Blade Shield is FREAKING EXPENSIVE on a (mana cost)/(duration of skill) basis. She REALLY relies on some mana leech after casting that (gogo Orphan's belt).

Shadow Master converts monsters and casts CoS waaaayyy too often. Conversion would be cool if it lasted more than a few seconds.

*****UPDATE*****

Osterizer entered the Moo Moo Farm, and HOLY MOLY, it was cows-a-popping all over. I didn't bother with the 'Black' Knout - the 'Strength' Greater Talons did just fine. She mowed them down so fast that she did the unthinkable - killed the Cow King before I realized what was going on! Oh well, it's just Normal cows. I kept checking to make sure it was Players8 since they were popping so fast - it was like it was Players1.

One more run on Baal for the XP (level 49), then it was on to the NM Den - cleared it out no problem, monsters still freezing around her. An Amn Rune dropped from a monster in the Blood Moore, so the run on mid runes I've come to expect from NM Act 1 is on.

Orphan's set may not do for NM - the resists are a little low - I'm thinking maybe 'Rhyme' Heater + IK belt or maybe some rearranging of the charms.

Last edited:

Hey all.

Sorry for not updating my progress. I have been busy with other stuff in 1.13 and needed a break fro this build. Dont know when i will start playing her again.

Anywayz she is i think lvl62 and in act 5. Its going along ok. This build really needs to be overleved at all times to be overpowered. Otherwize its basically a Phoeniz build light (since you cannot have all the + skill gear you would like).

She is now using the end game gear (apart from jewelry).

Regarding mana problems, I solved it with a 1.07 MPK ring :)..Its really recommended for this build..

Ill update when i have played her some more. Best of luck

@snooker:

I assume you mean Act 5 NM. How do you plan to deal with MSLE in Hell?

One more observation I have is that Normal cows barely moved Osterizer's experience bar, and even Ancients' Way didn't move it much, but WSK makes it JUMP! She's level 49 - in the interest of keeping her overleveled, I'm thinking some WSK/Baal runs are in order before starting NM in earnest.

Yah NM didnt bother edit it :)

No plan just get killed heh. my overall plan for this char is to see how powerful she is, have fun, try something original. Since i need life leech i just us the good ol string.

Yeah i know about the experience is alot better in WSK than cows in both normal and NM. Surprised you havent discovered that earlier :whistling: (since you have so many chars in 1.09 i mean)..I dont know much about experince and where you should be at certain levels but i noticed that when leveling my sorc.

Yeah i know about the experience is alot better in WSK than cows in both normal and NM. Surprised you havent discovered that earlier :whistling: (since you have so many chars in 1.09 i mean)..I dont know much about experince and where you should be at certain levels but i noticed that when leveling my sorc.

Oh, I had noticed that running Baal gave good experience (and how Act 1 of the next difficulty pales in comparison), but only this time when I've specifically compared and contrasted Cows, Ancients' Way, and WSK/Baal have I realized just how huge the difference is. I mean, it's night and day - and with the easy monsters of WSK, it's like free XP.

yeah its really easy exp. And its the same in nightmare :). Think i leveled to 73 comfortably there (full clears of level2 wsk).

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High