Steel Runeword doesn't work in Maul/Great Maul?

Sid

Sep 20, 2021
So the RW calculator shows Steel can be made in any 2-socket Sword, Axe, or Mace.

Mauls/Great Mauls are Mace-class weapons, per their in-game descriptions. But the RW didn't work. Used a grey superior item (not a blue Mechanics). Should of worked, no? No biggie, it's just low runes, but I'd like to know if this item is bugged, or if it doesn't work in 2-handers, or if I might have done something wrong. Seems like a useful weapon for low-level characters (it only takes a Tir and El), but only if it can be made reliably.

Sorry, I know it does not help much, but if you click on diablo 2 maces maul is not listed. And the runeword steel has mace as one of the weapon types not mace class.

Reactions: Sid
Sorry, I know it does not help much, but if you click on diablo 2 maces maul is not listed. And the runeword steel has mace as one of the weapon types not mace class.
I do not know if that is the problem, but just looking it up it seems like it might be.

I ran into the same thing -- long ago I knew that some maces are considered hammers and not maces, where rune words are concerned. I had since forgotten and tried unsuccessfully to make a war hammer Steel.

But that's the reason it didn't work: while the game displays the weapon class as "mace", internally there are three types: clubs (club, spiked club), maces (mace, morning star, flail), and hammers (war hammer, maul, great maul). If a rune word specifies that it works in maces, it means only the three weapons in that sub-category. Not any weapon that displays in-game as Mace Class.

It's just bad design. Maybe one to add to the QoL wish list: a confirmation dialog before your runes are actually attached to an item, that tells you if you've done the rune word right.

There are three subcategories of Blunt weapons (clubs, maces, hammers)

On the runeword page it specifically states the following:

Required Item Types for Formulae
Make sure you read this so you'll use the right items. People especially have problems with Maces.

Body Armor = Any armor that is worn on your chest and not any type of other armor such as boots, helms, gloves, etc.
Helms = Any armor that is worn on the head, including helms, Barbarian Helms, Druid Pelts, and Circlets.
Shield = Any armor that can be used to block, including shields, Necromancer Shrunken Heads, and Paladin Shields.
Clubs = Club, Spiked Club, and Exceptional/Elite versions.
Hammers = War Hammer, Maul, Great Maul, and Exceptional/Elite versions. These will not work in mace recipes even though they are listed on the mace page.
Maces = Mace, Morning Star, Flail, and Exceptional/Elite versions. This does not include any other types of Maces. Make sure you read about Hammers above. They are not "maces" in the case of Runewords.
Melee Weapons = Most weapons that aren't ranged such as a Sword or Hammer. A Bow or Crossbow is a ranged weapon and is not in this category. Sorceress Orbs are not considered Melee Weapons. Melee Weapons: Hand-to-Hand, Blunt, Combo Weapon, Polearm, Spear, Knife, Sword, Axe.
Missile Weapons = Bows and Crossbows.
Weapons = Melee Weapons, Missile Weapons, Orbs.
Scepters = Scepter, Grand Scepter, War Scepter, and Exceptional/Elite versions.
Staves - Mean Staves and not other items that are Staff class weapons like Wands.

Did the same thing for my first runeword... The problem is there are 3 types of mace classes, and i think Steel only works in the standard mace, mace class.
Im thinking about personalizing it, but then again im tired of it taking up room.firstRunewordTirEl.png

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High