Some questions from a new SP'er.

double posting. again.

Next 2 questions :D. What are good runes from the hell forge? I got Thul. Also, I should probably fight diablo on /p 1 correct? or /p 3 for better loot? Judging from the rune list, thul is crap :(.

Woah, I just noticed Gull dagger has 100% MF on it and best place to get it is Coldcrow which is in level 2 of caves in cold plains. Can I farm her for it even at level 35? Oh, killed diablo on /p 1. He was kinda tough had to retreat to resummon minions 2 times.

Last edited by a moderator:
A Thul from which hellforged drop? If it was from Normal than that's extremely good, I normally get an El. These are the ranges of runes that can drop for each difficulty.

• Normal: El - Amn
  • Nightmare: Sol - Um
  • Hell: Hel - Gul

Yes you can farm Cold Crow at any level, same goes for any location/boss in the game. There isn't any restriction in that regards.

Re: Some questions from a new SP'er.

Thanks for all the replies! I'm moving along nicely which is a surprise since I usually don't like single player anything. I guess its the loot whore in me. And I'm glad I got something good from the HF, I haven't been so lucky with runes... I have about 50 El runes sitting in ATMA.

I'm about to fight Baal but I haven't used any of the special quest rewards such as imbue, socket or personalize for normal. Do I have to use these before I move on to Nightmare or do they carry over?

BTW the two mf helms are one for the merc and one for you (when the merc gets the kill the mf = your mf + his mf) (when you or your minions get the kill the mf = your mf)

I'm about to fight Baal but I haven't used any of the special quest rewards such as imbue, socket or personalize for normal. Do I have to use these before I move on to Nightmare or do they carry over?

They carry over...no need to use them now. That is unless you need to use them now. Most people save their imbue quest for circlets with a high item level, as they can then spawn with +2 to (insert random class) skills.

Clarification on the circlets: many people use diadems to imbue because they (IIRC) can get +2 skills regardless of their level (I think imbuing uses your char level in the formula, so that's sort of important).

As for the other quests: as Friiser said, you don't have to use them now, you can always return to the difficulty level and use them later, which is probably preferable. You'll find that having a spare socket quest available is always nice.

i just wanted to write to thank Sique for posting all his questions, and everyone else for your answers. This is the perfect thread for anybody who is just getting involved with single player fun. From direct answers to links, this is exactly everything one needs to know.

Actually, i have a some questions myself.

For starters, i'd like to say that rather than start with the necro, i started with a pure light sorc for 2 reasons: i like the incredibly high damage and i want my first single player char (well first to complete all 3 difficulties, hopefully) to be a completely untwinked sorc.

Anyway i'm playing in /p8 mode and i finished the first 4 quests, with the countess being completed around the 3 hour mark. The reason i took so long beeing that i was taking my time with the searching of topazes and fortune gambles. So far i have 92% mf on myself alone, and nothing on the merc yet, but at least she's equipped with 2 socket helm and 3 socket armor for when those topazes appear. Additionally i found a 6% mf ring, yay!

Here's the part i don't understand.
Reading the MF guide to the untwinked character, i see that the around clvl 9-12 you want to gamble for boots and gloves of luck (5-15 mf) which have an ilvl of 13. The weird part is that at lvl 12 i got boots of FORTUNE (19 mf), and at lvl 13 i got gloves of fortune (22 mf). Not that i'm complaining, but the guide said these are ilvl 17 items, meaning that techincally there is no way i could have gambled them. Well maybe i could have gambled the gloves because i was 13 and 13+4 = 17, but how is it that i found the boots at lvl 12?

I believe the range of gambling is ilvl=clvl±5, so at level twelve you would have to get the highest roll out of the eleven possible to gamble fortune boots. Someone could well come along and correct me on this, but I believe that is the way it works.

I thought I had been reading recently that the gamble range is clvl -5/+4, while shopping is -5/+5. Maybe you shopped those boots rather than gambling? Or maybe you were mistaken about your current clvl?

...Or maybe I'm wrong. :D That happens a lot.

hobbez, good luck with that pure lit sorc. Hope you're ready for some mad teleport spamming in Hell. Then again, it's not that much different than a Blizz sorc anyway, plus you probably see more cold immunes than lightning immunes. I think the reason most people choose Blizz sorcs first is because it's a lot easier to reduce cold resistance through Cold Mastery for big damage, while reducing lightning resistance can only be done through items. Then again, if you can find a wand with Lower Resist charges you're just as well off (if not better; I've never tried it myself).

yeah, well initially i was following the guide from siyko's runs with a fireball/orb, which i have to say is very fun given that fireball can hit clumped targets and frozen can hit spread, but when i finally got to hell act 1 i was having the hardest time even in /p1. I gave myself a break when i noticed that, even with the lower resist wand, killing the countess was a very difficult task because i didn't quite bulked up my merc enough and i guess my 'diablo micro' isn't that great when it comes to telelport and mana management. Then i got a better computer, reinstalled d2 and instead of transporting the char over here, i just decided to restart.

Anyway i know i'll run a great risk with a pure light sorc, but i just love the massive peak damage it can cause. I also had read a guide a while back that stated that there is some 3-4 uniques which i'm forced to face and have LI, but i'll deal with it when i get there.

Sique how's your necro coming along?

Necro is coming along well, finished Normal a couple days ago. The only downside is that he is too good, I don't think I've had a problem with anything yet, except when I leave act bosses at /p 8 (did this on Duriel and it was bad news). Haven't played in a little bit because of a serious BSOD problem. I reformatted but saved my ATMA stash and my save folder. I almost wish I didn't, I don't think the Necro is my style. I suppose I'll just finish him, but there is rarely a challenge. I have around 300 MF with my merc having around 100. Only thing of note I've found yet is Kuko and Heart Caver I got off my 1st Baal run.

Oh and if you ever want to trade or something let me know. I'll keep an eye out for sorc gear if you want.

i appreciate the offer but i'm going to keep it strictly single player. I reserve trading for closed bnet. I'm definitely going to twink some future sp chars, but only with stuff i find. Thank you for the offer, though.

I can understand how the necro isn't your style.

My favorite char is the barbarian, but seeing as how few untwinked builds there are, and given that i've attempted sp with him twice with poor results, i decided to give a sorc a go, since i love teleportation, massive dmg and she will definitely make rune/item hunting easier.

you're at 300 mh already? What lvl is your char?

I'm lvl 25 finishing act 2, my merc has 45% (5 chipped), i have 124%, so i guess a total of 169%, but i have to be honest: I'm getting squat and it doesn't matter if i'm doing the kill or he is, its always crap. I've seen maybe 2 uniques, both clubs so useless, and maybe some 20 rares, which were useless as well. This is the first time i've put any mf on my merc, so forgive my doubting, but it is just an assumption that merc kills = his mf+ your mf, or has it been proven by someone who cracked the game code or something? I'm not trying to be rude, i'm just skeptical.

Anyway i'm about to face my least favorite...pardon me...my MOST HATED act...act 3...

Ya, I'm level 55... the levels fly by on /p 8, I actually turned /p down to try to MF some items because I was just leveling like crazy. I finished Baal at level 48 and ran him on /p 1 about 5 times and leveled almost one time per run. I ran though act one NM and I am trying to do that on act 2 as well, but the sanctuary is rough with no resists. As of writing that last post I had just used up all the ptopazes I owned. It actually might even be higher now, I lucked out and got a perfect pair of light plated "of luck" boots.

I do agree with you on the Act 3 remark. That act always takes the longest. It is starting to get harder, but that is only because I'm in all MF gear and every one of my resists is in the negatives. I was also skeptical about the Merc MF bonus. I ran pindle on normal like 10 times just because and I never let the Merc touch him. However, he has 0% MF. I find that the might merc is FAR squishier than the Defiance merc.

Once I'm finished with the Fishymancer I think I am going to make a druid or assassin, I've never played either of those classes. Someone used my LoD key almost immediately after bought the thing... was very frustrating. I bought a new one off of Blizzard's site so I think I'm going to give it a go.

Act 1 Nightmare 5/6 quest completed lvl 50 light sorc
I have about 190% mf or so on me and just about 70-80 on merc. Topaz are making themselves a bit harder to find for some reason, but the magic items keep dropping, including some useful ones. Within minutes i managed to find 3 sigon items (gloves, belt and boots), and although i actually had 8% mf more with my luck boots and fortune gloves, the 200+ defense boost and the 20% run/walk was definitely a decision breaker. I'm would be breezing though the act right now, but i'm accumulating so much good stuff that i keep making trips back to store and sell. From the start of NM i accumulated 1,650,000 and the money keeps piling up, especially with wands and paladin maces and staves worth 30000.

I had to flee only 2 fights without going back with revenge. The first was in cold plains when my merc still wasn't strong enough kill of a light enchanted lady which would spew out charged bolts with every hit. The second time was in the jails, when a group of ...well i don't remember what they're called but they look like fat minotaurs and the shoot some weird smokey looking ball at you that stuns and really hurts you. Anyway there was too many of them clumped up together and my lightning wasn't doing anything to them, and my merc simply didn't have the defense to survive that many jerks.

Other than that my sorc is pretty confident for now. I went for a good hour or so with 300,000 gold in her pockets because the stash was full without worrying about dying.
Anyway today i wanna beat the crap out of andy and then i gotta get to study for finals.

So far i have some 450 life, 250 mana, and my lightning deals about 4-2000, i have only 1+ skills item but they'll start coming.

The untwinked light sorc guide i'm reading, the guy mentions that he found occulus and ik detail in nm bosses, so i'm looking forward to that. I can't remember which i found in the pits and which by the countess, but i got a sol and a dol, also i don't know if that's a decent drop or not. I can't find a listing with the order of importance of runes.

http://www.purediablo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=486432
Not that there's much to a pure light sorc in regards to build, because after all just throw everything in synergies, i did this with a closed bnet char, but the stats were useful and just the idea that someone has actually completed hell mode in single player with a light sorc was reassuring.
I prefer barbs, but this baby is going to be the key to my mfing and rune finding.

Thanks for the rune guide. Would be sweet to have a dozen ists or so for all that magic find. :p

before i throw away runes in a non working runeword i need some comfermation.

Although i am most likely going to end up using rwm in the future, i was kind of hoping to delay the necessity of it.

it says that spirit has been found working in non ladder, and i wanted to know if this has been proven. Did 1.12 make it a nl accessable runeword?

@Hobbez, check the stickies for the Runeword Mod (RWM). It will enable you to create those items. However it should be noted that all of your items and characters that play with it will become RWM characters, for trading and some MP games it's important to note that.

That said keep all your runes, you can cube them up and just think a few hundred thousand els will get you a really nice rune in the end :)

Good luck with your running.

@Sique - Just power thru Normal and Nightmare, Hell is where you want to start runs. A few NM Meph or Baals to get to around level 75, but for the most part you'll get the majority of your MF wealth from Hell Meph, Pindle and the Level 85 (Pit, AT, WSK) areas. Check the stickies for Hrus guide to MF as well, it's loaded with useful info.

The skellimancer is the safest build in the game, it can be boring, but it can run everywhere with relative ease.

Just reminding some posters here that double posting is not necessary. Use the edit button, please.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High