Single Player Reccomendations

Qotsa

Oct 19, 2006
Single Player Reccomendations

Hello, in attempt to pry myself from the clutches of b.net, I'm going to play single player. Also I'm planning on play act 1 normal to act 5 hell on /players 8.

I'm just looking for the best possible character I should attempt this with, to sort of, "break" myself into it. Basically a good char to learn it with. So please, post your past favourites to do this with and what you think I should try.

Cheers,

Qotsa.

Welcome!

I would recommend a FB/LS/DS Assassin.
Easy to do untwinked, kills fast, very safe, good at running the pits.

Hell at p8 is pretty tough for even a twinked character. Most people will do Normal & NM at p8 and lower the setting for Hell, normally to p1.

If you are starting untwinked, I recommend a Blizzsorc as a first character to run NM and Hell Meph for items.

It depends on your play-style.

The summoning necromancer is a very laid-back character (and slow at progress if you go with the higher player settings.) while the sorceress is at the top of the speed-pyramid.

In order to beat p8 hell untwinked you will need strong single-elemental builds (skipping immunes) or quite the patience.

As mentioned, patience is the key.

That said, I'm now playing a firewall/blizzard sorc in hell at players8 (still questing, just beat meph who dropped a stormshield), and I must say that in her killing speed at players8 is about the same as for others at players3 and lower. Okay I'm playing twinked, but still, even untwinked this character would certainly manage to be a killing machine, and there is no need to skip immunes. I've played quite a few other characters through hell, and although there were a few that I kept at players3 or 5 to the end, none managed players8 (and that includes fishymancer, javazon, bowazon, zealot, hammerdin, meteorb, wind druid, and IK whirlwinder). I do recommend an insight weapon (using the runeword mod) though, either a staff or a polearm on your merc. I did so far play only the countess at players1 and that was because I knew she'd be both fire and cold immune. Still, I've encountered quite a few dual immunes and dispatched of them without much trouble after killing all the minions or splitting the pack. The merc does not tend to have a difficulty with them.
The assassin mentioned might work as well, but I yet need to play an assassin through the game so I cannot comment on the hell players 8 viability.
I do think though that the sorceress has one major advantage over other classes, especially in keeping her merc alive on higher players settings (on players1 the monsters tend to die fast enough not to do a lot of damage to the merc), and that is teleport. It might be that a tri-elementalist would work better. The disadvantages are of course less damage for every skill, but the advantage of not having to rely on your merc for dual immunes might tilt the balance in her favour. What I'm seeing now is that if blizzard would do a bit less damage it would not make a huge difference to her killing speed, and instead having some lightning skill high might make a serious difference.

I suggest you take a moment to think about your ambition again. I seriously recommend Hell on /players 3 instead (/p1 for the 'off-the-wall' builds). It allows for a much greater variety of viable characters, mainly because Crushing Blow is much more effective on lower settings.

The difference between /p8 and /p3 would be just for bragging rights. :laugh:
On a one-pass full clear, you will gain only 2 fewer levels in the end, and not that much fewer items will drop.

/players 5 may be a good compromise, if the character is strong.

Hammerdins have a notorious ability for demolishing P8 hell even untwinked. Javazons aren't too shabby either if you get both poison and lightning skills.

I also agree with jiasonz because javazons and hammerdins make me want to gouge my eyes out with a corkscrew.

Hammerdins have a notorious ability for demolishing P8 hell even untwinked. Javazons aren't too shabby either if you get both poison and lightning skills.

I also agree with jiasonz because javazons and hammerdins make me want to gouge my eyes out with a corkscrew.

LF/PJ Amazons will have serious problems with Gloams. Immune to poison and lightning and AFAIK 80% physical resistance.

Edit: Fluffballer: 20 Gloams seems like a very low number to me, but maybe you are right.

He may only see 20 of them though. Hammerdins are mildy slowed getting the tome, but both will have little trouble in hell.

I always played a Bowazon online, and for my first Single Player character went for a Meteorb Sorceress and am finding it strong,versatile,and able to progress quickly (though I used a commandline suffix to start in Act V Normal, so I've no idea how I would have dealt with Duriel as an untwinked lowbie).

so I've no idea how I would have dealt with Duriel as an untwinked lowbie).

Wear a good shield (Bone Shield of Deflection can easily be bought from Drognan), prebuff cold resist with thawing potions, have a bunch of rejuves ready, Static Field him down to near-death (takes ~5 seconds) and take him out with whatever method you desire. Piece of cake.

Edit: Fluffballer: 20 Gloams seems like a very low number to me, but maybe you are right.

Yup, you'd be lucky not to fight too many of them, though you may not EVER see one. The base monster type (which isn't always poison immune I believe) shows up in obscure areas of Act III, the Plains of Despair, guest stars in some caves of Act V and of course some areas of the WSK. He could get lucky and draw Dolls and Death Lords instead. :sad2:

Definitely go for the meteorb sorceress. I was in the same situation as you are now, this is my first character after a long time, she's lvl 54 in Nightmare now and going through enemies like a knife through butter. Choose meteorb, and you won't regret it. She may be a little difficult to play until lvl 30 (but let your mercenary do the killing until then), but when you get frozen orb, your troubles are over.

Definitely go for the meteorb sorceress. I was in the same situation as you are now, this is my first character after a long time, she's lvl 54 in Nightmare now and going through enemies like a knife through butter. Choose meteorb, and you won't regret it. She may be a little difficult to play until lvl 30 (but let your mercenary do the killing until then), but when you get frozen orb, your troubles are over.

Until you get to hell that is and start encountering dual immunes.

Until you get to hell that is and start encountering dual immunes.
Yipes! :shocked:
Haven't really thought of that yet, but I guess static + merc would take care of it.
Meteorb still virtually runs through normal and nightmare (not saying hell will be easy, haven't gotten there yet).

Wow, didn't expect such a large response. Thanks for the all the advice. I think I'll go with a meteorb. I've always been a melee type of player and this will be a good change. I'll keep you all posted on my progress if you're interested ;p. going to start now.

Wow, didn't expect such a large response. Thanks for the all the advice. I think I'll go with a meteorb. I've always been a melee type of player and this will be a good change. I'll keep you all posted on my progress if you're interested ;p. going to start now.

YAY! U won't regret it, she's a killer! :jig:

Currently level 16, just got to outer cloister. I'm going to do some countess runs for the runes to make a stealth and leaf. ;p

Any suggestions on Melee though?

P8 hell with an untwinked meleer will be extremely slow. However elemental zealots, berserker barbs, a fire claws wolf or bear, elemental MA sins or a poison dagger necro are all very solid choices. Especially if you have some crushing blow which is mildly useful even at P8.

I.E., anything that uses skills instead of weapons.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High