Single player on console Xbox Series X - online or offline?

Goomba

Oct 20, 2021
Hi all,

So I have a dilemma, is it better to play single player offline or online? The main reason I ask is because on console there are never other players in games and definitely never games of 8 players. If I'm lucky they'll maybe be 3 other players but they never stay in the game so I can never get the benefit of players * 2-8 for magic finding. It is my understanding that the only way to get high runes is to play on a higher players difficulty so there are more monsters and more drops. I've put countless hours into my online account and have a level 93 sorc. I've found a lot of good items over time, but the highest rune I've found was Mal. I have run cows countless times and runes never drop. So basically online on console I get the feeling that I'll never be able to get the runes for Enigma etc. I am at a sticking point because sometimes I feel I am wasting my time Magic finding.

I have barely played single player offline so I don't have any strong characters or good items, I'd basically be starting over. I know on console they did an update so console can do players * 8. So I basically have the choice of continuing to play without a higher players count online or lose all my time and gear and characters by switching to offline so I can play with a higher player number difficulty. What do you think? Thanks.

Reactions: coju
If the apparent benefits of online play aren’t there (other players to play with), then what is the point? Then again players X generally does not matter for Set/Unique finding (unless running Andy/Meph and can do the runs ~ as fast as P1). Exp and runes is where higher player numbers are better.

So it comes down to what you want to do: just find all set /uniques? You could as well keep at it. Is there lag btw or is joining games online slower than offline?

Want runes and or get to 99: I would start over offline.

I am of course biased to offline singleplay as most here probably and all my high runes (3 Sur, Cham) have dropped on P1. :)

Reactions: coju
High runes can drop on p1 as well as on p8. But if your looking to make those top end rune words then you are looking at grinding those top runes. And there is no place like p8 Lower Kurast for those.

Find the perfect map with 2 camp fires not too far from the waypoint and run those chests. Offline is probably easier. Or you need to invest in finding 8 people that can play online, but I’m not sure how that would work for only running LK since I too play offline since the start of D2R

The two advantaged of online play are the ability to play with other people and the ability to play the same characters across platforms. Otherwise, I think single player is the better experience. (Of course, I'm certainly biased on that one!)

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High