Shopping Guide Help Thread

Dacar92

Staff member
Nov 2, 2003
Shopping Guide Help Thread

Two people have volunteered to write a shopping guide. I thought it would be nice to have a repository of shopping knowledge that this guide can be written from. What I would foresee in this guide is that it would start very simple: what you can buy from whom, in each act. Then, samples of items that have been purchased, listing the item's stats. Then maybe cover gambling? That's up to you guys. Then tips and tricks.

I thought I would start this thread for people to write in their experiences and post stats of items they have bought while shopping. Then Fred and Zodi can get together and write a single guide from the info here and their own experiences. If one of you has an issue with the other posting it under their name, send the finished product to me and I will post it under both of your names. I don't want two shopping guides saying the same thing. Thanks everyone for the support.

My offer was directed towards more of a shopping, as in trading, guide, and I know Fred has a great amount of experience shopping. I'm sure Fred will be able to give more in-depth insights into shopping. I'll work on my rare trading value guide in a few days once I'm done with exams.

On a side note, Dacar, your avatar looks like a blue leather/serpentskin armor out of the corner of my eye every time I see it O.O :soapbox: :prop:

Hmm... i dont think i will write a full-scale guide on shopping, yet, as what i have to say can easily fit here

Mini Shopping guide-

Why shop?
You can get some useful magic items, especially a lifesaver for poor people, or people starting afresh on a new server

Where to shop?
Hell drognan, hell Halbu, and hell akara

Desirable shopped items from hell drognan-
30/20 pris bone//grim shields
30/20 +2 pal shields (to a lesser extent)
30/20 high defense grim shields
+2 pala fcr scepters, +2 sorc fcr staffs with useful skills, +2 fcr nec wands with useful skills
high defense life grim helms

Desirable shopped items from hell halbue-
30/20 high defense pavise's
high defense life ornates
high defense life war belts
High defense + strength or dex war gauntelets

Desirable shopped items from hell akara-
The same staffs, scepters, and wands as you would from hell drognan. The diffirence here is that you can speed up the shop runs dramatically by opening a cow portal next to akara

Getting the items you want may take some time, but while you are looking for a specific item, you may find a goody that you were not looking for

Here are some sample items i have recently shopped-

30/20 20 pris bone shield
100 defense war belt with 25 life
850 defense ornate with +6 strength
+2 sorc 3 chant staff
+2 sorc 3 blizz 20 fcr staff
+2 pala 10 fcr +3 bh grand scepter

And a few more.

As you can see, if you can afford angelics + partial clegs + gob toe, you can assemble a basic foundation for a defense bvb... obviously as you get better rares they will replace the magics.

If you devote the time to it, eventually you will get that magic scepter which will change your d2 career, and the power of your already overpowered hammerdin.

+2 pala 10 fcr +3 Bh +3 Conc scepter with low strength req

I have seen it... and it makes me so jealous. Regardless of what steve may say in the price check thread, this scepter will fetch you a few sojs on ladder... nobody cares if it is magic or not, they will try and find it by shopping themselves, give up, then come back to you ;)

I dont do shop runs on a regular basis. I shop run if i need a specific magic that mimics the stats of a rare i cant afford ^^

Fred

This looks like a good thread. I could use a good guide on where to shop for a some decent items depending on my lvl at the time. Hope it works.

And I say Dacar's avatar looks like the teleohone booth used for a ship by Dr. Who. And if you don't know who that is, don't bother.

Kev

A few basics about shopping: (modified from one of my posts in an earlier thread)

For shopping items at vendors, you need to leave town (and in fact have everyone leave town) for the items available to change. So it is a pain to shop if there are other people in the game, and it's a pain to have to run from your preferred vendor to the town exit or town WP to reset the merchandise. Since this running consumes a great deal of time, it is worth doing what you can to minimize the time to leave town and get back:
  1. As Fred said above, if you are looking for items in Act 1, make the cow portal right next to the vendor at which you are shopping. This makes it easy to look at items, pop in to the cow level, pop back then see what is now for sale.
  2. If you are looking for items at Drognan in Act 2, create games until you get a map with Drognan right next to the town exit, then shop with a pally using Vigor and FRW boots to lessen boredom during shopping.
  3. If you find a Town Portal shrine, you can use that sometimes to save on running/clicking for resetting the vendors, for example with Ormus.

Another thing- if you see something that you want but don't quite have the gold for it, that can be aggravating. You can solve this problem by one of several methods:
  1. Go to another act and harvest gold there. If you take a wp to another act and then come back directly to town, the items will not be reset. Make sure you go to a different act- if you go into the wilderness in the act you are shopping in, your desired item will be reset along with the rest of the vendor's inventory. Experiment beforehand to understand how this works.
  2. Whisper a friend to join the game and lend you some money.
  3. If there is someone else the game, ask them to remain in town while you join with one of your characters with more money.
Another means of speeding up some shopping trips in some cases is to use a character who is unable to equip the desired item (too low of a level, not enough strength, usually), so that it will be highlighted on the shop screen as unusable and easier to pick out. For example, if you are looking for a plain or socketed +3 enchant staff, if you shop with a level 17 character of any type, the staffs that are for sale at normal Drognan that have any level 18 skills as staffmods will be easy to spot. Or if you are looking for an exceptional item (Grim Shield for example) and you shop with a character with low strength (possibly because they removed +STR items) it will be easy to tell the Bone Shields from the Grim Shields in a glance because the Grims will be highlighted as not equipable to your low strength character, whereas the Bones will look different since those are equipable.

Ormus is too slow to shop though.

Drognan you keep making games till exit is next to him, then use a pala with viga and faster r/w boots.

Akara as Fred said, stick cow portal next to her and keep nipping in and out.

Plus he sounds so odd :neener:

Beltyn said:
Ormus is too slow to shop though.

Drognan you keep making games till exit is next to him, then use a pala with viga and faster r/w boots.

Akara as Fred said, stick cow portal next to her and keep nipping in and out.

Plus he sounds so odd :neener:

using faster r/w boots/telekannisis for act 3 shopping can be very quick, get spider forest wp for fastest exit and entrance

I did some of the cow portal/akara trick last night and only ended up finding 2X +2 scepters with my lvl 84 pally. This was about after 25mins of doing this...

Does level affect the items in the shops as well? While I'm on the topic of min lvl req for items, I always thought it was 85 or 86 but am not too sure. I just asked a few players on west and they say lvl 88... Because I'd like to get some GG scepters, and gamble some ammies. Just need to know the lvl required to do so :\

basically if your lvl 70+ (not sure of spedific lvl) you can see all the mods available from vendors

+2 fcr scepters are kinda rare, but if you want it, you can get it through shopping fairly easily

Fred

Should I just re-title this thread and call it a shopping guide thread? There will end up being a lot of good info here. Let me know if someone is writing a guide, or not. If not, we can just use this.
Thanks

Zodijackyl said:
Shop with a paladin with irathas, blinkbats, 30frw boots, and vigor :)
And if youre doing Drognan runs you can just use charge to get right next to him from the wildernessl. Fast :jig:

Dacar92 said:
Should I just re-title this thread and call it a shopping guide thread? There will end up being a lot of good info here. Let me know if someone is writing a guide, or not. If not, we can just use this.
Thanks

i dont think a guide needs to be written, this pretty much covers everything desirable about shopping

Fred

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High