Share your best farming tips!

NorthDakota

Aug 10, 2012
I have been on a serious farming kick lately. I have been putting in some serious time at LK.

Anyways, I want to be more efficient and effective, so share your tips! I'll start:

I hate it when the game hides some drops because there are so many on screen. It does this quite often when running Lower Kurast at /players 8. If items are disappearing on the second chest in one of these huts (happens all the time), just pop open your inventory! This blocks half the screen, and thus it can block out the other chest's items, allowing the closest chest to display its items fully.

This really saves me some time/worrying. I hate it when there are so many items they can't all display, I'm always worrying I will miss a high rune.

Last edited:
Whenever I open a possible mega-chest I have alt pressed. If I don't see the rune colour flash before my eyes I just move on. Yes, I probably miss a rune or two, an occasional charm or something, but I find it less bothersome than picking up all the gold and pots. When it comes to farming LK, I'm convinced it is far more efficient to miss the occasional Sur this way and just cram in more runs.

My best farming tip, however, is to find a great podcast. I tend to go with gaming stuff but I'm more than a little sad that I don't seem able to locate a series of D2 podcasts from years ago to listen through while I'm farming. If I'm out of interesting podcasts I tend to fall back on TV series from the 90s that are so ingrained into my memory that listening is enough and watching isn't necessary. For whatever reason I often go for some cheesy stuff: Xena, Lois and Clark being two of my recent guilty pleasures.

Yeah, I always have tab held when opening chests, but I'm still nervous. Picking stuff up seems like it takes wayyy too long to me.

I've been watching starcraft tourneys streaming while playing on my other monitor. I love starcraft, I haven't been so successful at it though. I stopped when I hit platinum league on the ladder, but watching the pros play is still really entertaining for me.

Do you have any suggestions for good casts to listen to spearv?

I just tabbed away from an SC2 stream to reply to this! I don't play SC2 (never played a ladder match), but I love watching good players, I'm going to be buying my GSL Season 4 pass from GOM soon enough, the season 3 pass is the best money I've spent this year.

SC2 related... Day[9]'s Funday Monday is a must-watch, preferably live, for the chat, but you can't really play D2 while doing that. I always catch up with djWHEATs two panel shows on onemoregame on twitch, they're not high-brow but they can be entertaining and tend to keep me abreast of anything going on in the SC2 scene that I happen to miss elsewhere. My favourite podcasty thing in SC2 right now is Real Talk (itmejp on youtube, I believe) - I like a little background story to go with the personalites.

If you play MMOs, go to gamebreaker.tv and watch an episode of TWIMMO. If you can deal with that then there's plenty of content there (specifically WOW, GW2 and SWTOR. If you want to go back in time, some Rift too), the format is chatty, not technical.

For more general gaming, I tend to go to TotalBiscuit on Youtube. Occasionally I'll take in a mailbox, and I tend to catch up on the Gamestation podcasts there too. The mailboxes are sort've my last-resort thing to listen to as he covers a lot of stuff that I don't care about. The podcast is variously stupid, hilarious, boring, pointless, informative and insane, but it has just enough entertainment packed in that keeps me listening. The fact that it lasts 3 hours means it can be a good thing to mindlessly listen to during a session on whatever computer game I'm digging at the time.

To be honest, I feel like there are probably dozens of superb gaming podcasts out there on the Internet that would be perfect for me but I just don't know what they are and where to find them.

Ahh nice Spear.

Yeah, I wish more of my friends were into sc2. I'm completely into the SC2 scene, been watching the day9 daily forever, every major tourney etc, but none of my friends care! My roommate and his buddies used to be super into LoL but I just can't really get into that game. Never been one for the DOTA type games. I get bored or switch to music when NASL is done streaming for the night, or I've seen all the IPL content for the last 7 days and they just have it streaming on repeat over and over again. Sometimes I'll hop into demuslim's stream because he talks while he plays. I'm going to check out those podcasts.

How about AT/Pits run advice? Anything general that anyone wants to add about anything? Little tricks you've acquired over tons of runs that makes it better?

I have another one - I just bought a steelseries "sensei" mouse. Seriously you need one. They are great, it's made of literally steel, it's super comfy and customizable. I never thought I would need a gamer mouse because it just seems so unnecessarily expensive to me, but I'm a believer now. I love sitting down to a comfortable mouse.

Anyways, I bound my side mouse keys to "Enter" and "H" so when I click single player I can just roll across my sidemouse buttons and it puts my current character into a hell game immediately. No more having to click my character and then click hell! Saves me literally ones of seconds, and it makes my runs more comfortable. When you're churning out sub 20s runs for LK/Pindle, cutting out those misclicks and the time cost actually really feels nice.

Pindle tip I just remembered:

If you're not using your weapon switch while pindle running, find a low level 4 socket bow (low dex requirement) such as a composite bow, and make the "Harmony" runeword in it (Tir Ith Sol Ko). It has level 10 Vigor aura on it which increases your run speed by quite a bit. This can shave precious seconds off your pindle run, as I find the biggest timesink for pindle runs to be actually getting to pindle.

I'm using a Razer Naga mouse, I've been meaning to bind various /players settings and other useful D2 stuff to it for a few months, but I just never seem to get around to it. I'm thinking about picking up a Naga Hex since I'm not a seriously serious raider in an MMO these days with dozens of macros to deal with. Keyboards are my problem. I'm using a bizarre wireless (ugh) thing from Microsoft that's really quite high up from my desk and has bigger keys in the middle (TYGHBN are wider than other keys). I've just got used to it and can't really find a wired, high-quality, thing that's similar. This is a little OT from tips for farming, though I guess "be comfortable with you setup" probably qualifies.

IDK how many people put Infinity on their AT cold-sorcs, but I can't deal without it now. The occasional CI boss no longer stops me in my speedy tracks. I'd be interested to know what kind of maps people look for in AT - if there's a scientific approach to picking one I haven't figured it out.

Making infinity is #1 priority on my list of all things to do ever, since 99 is my goal. I will try the normal cookie cutter lightening build. collecting gems to start cubing for light charms.

Also, are macros allowed in this forum? I am a little wary of using them since I don't know exactly how the community views this and I don't wanna mess up anything with anyone here.

IIRC macros are not allowed - just search the stickies i think they are mentioned in the general rules

Ugh, I have been spending hours over the last few days testing out AT maps. I'm trying to figure it out, but I can't. However, one thing I've found easy to find and relatively easy to run is a small circular map, with 2-3 branches off of it (entrance, chest, and 1 or 2 other areas). Quite often one of these branches can be completely ignored as bosspacks tend not to spawn there. I always pop the chest, too, but that's a preference.

If you're not already doing it, talk to warriv to bring you to the camp and then wp to lost city.
If you're patient you can have the entrance to AT visible from the wp. My mfo map had that. (Definitely not necessary, though, and 4-6 teleports is easy to find and acceptable I think - 2 is also relatively easy).

Yup. Don't macro /players commands!

So if you are playing on PLayers 8, Save and exit, then re enter the game. It goes back down to PLayers 1???

By the way, I loved playing SC2.

I was Plat 1v1 protoss. Although, it was a lot less stressful to just play Random in Random 2v2s. I never had a friend to really Arrange Team with. And playing Random it was good to see how other races play. There is nothing like playing random in 2v2 and getting your main race... Because I played Random in 2v2 I was in Gold league 2s, but when I spawned Protoss in 2v2s I would just dominate the game. Zerg I was pretty good at too. My Terran was just bad.

I like Day[J] and the twitch.tv app on the iPad is so full of win if you like watching streams. Sometimes there are some War 3 TFT players too.

(Bear in mind I can't do LK runs before reading the following:)

I have to:

- Pick up claws/circlets/charms/etc. to avoid frustration of "X' runs of nothing", and they trade for runes - so good charms are runes in my head. Plus, I keep the brain motivated. (If you can with 1/XXXXX drop chance of ber as your sole motivation, then you're allowed to skip trash. What I do is slower, but I tend to do more runes that way before losing interest, so it translates into more runes).

- enter my chain-running state - the first 100 runs are utterly boring, but after that I can go 500-700 on weekends and I find difficult to stop.

- Run the area with a character I like.

- I find a decent run time better than a "record-breaking run time" arm wise (I had wirst/forearm troubles due to playing guitar without instructor and playing for too long). If I do a lot of pindle runs under 20s, I have to stop on 100. If I do them under 30s, I can go for 300 or so.

Maybe I could add more, but my general strategy is to keep my brain motivated and increase the total number of runs (which isn't the same of running faster for me).

PS: btw, ber drops are better at which players setting on lk? p/5 or p/7? Or p/8?

Mr Teach is right:

1.13 LK Patterns thread

- I find a decent run time better than a "record-breaking run time" arm wise (I had wirst/forearm troubles due to playing guitar without instructor and playing for too long). If I do a lot of pindle runs under 20s, I have to stop on 100. If I do them under 30s, I can go for 300 or so.

Maybe I could add more, but my general strategy is to keep my brain motivated and increase the total number of runs (which isn't the same of running faster for me).

I'm running LK with my fury amazon, I've equipped her with frw items:
Valkyrie wing 20 frw
Cat's eye 30 frw
Trang's armor 40 frw
m'avina's belt 20 frw
aldur's boots 40 frw
Harmony bow level 10 vigor aura
titan's 20 frw on switch when I get surrounded

Most monsters spawn LI so I have to avoid them (my negative resistances don't help) running and casting valkyrie and decoy.
Yesterday I tried to run LK with my sorc but I almost fell asleep, it was really boring.

And about wrist injuries, that also happens to me. It's VERY important to stop or to change postures.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High