Semi-OT: succesful Diablo 1 SP Normal difficulty Ironman Axeman run

jiansonz

Jun 22, 2003
I post it here because this forum is far more frequented than the D1 forum, and because some SPFers like to read my character reports.

Read it here.

I think I will post updates from the progression in NM there (and hopefully I will remember to take some screenies in NM).

Your posts like these are always very fun to read and very inspirational. Great job. I do hope to read about your exploits in D1 Nightmare and maybe even Hell.

Congrats. I too would watch, especially if you gave a little commentary - small insight to the game, potential loot, etc. Good luck with NM, and definitely, post some pics and updates please!

btw if you are in to this ax thing, have you ever tried a Hellfire Barbarian? I'd really recommend it! In fact he provided me some of the incentive to level a char to 50 seeing as he gets 1% resist all per level and he also has the built in crit mechanic of the warrior. I believe he also does bonus damage when wielding an ax and his swings hit adjacent enemies to the immediate right or left. Really I can't say enough good things about Hellfire (plot aside), i've never gone back to vanilla after i discovered it.

btw if you are in to this ax thing, have you ever tried a Hellfire Barbarian? I'd really recommend it! In fact he provided me some of the incentive to level a char to 50 seeing as he gets 1% resist all per level and he also has the built in crit mechanic of the warrior. I believe he also does bonus damage when wielding an ax and his swings hit adjacent enemies to the immediate right or left. Really I can't say enough good things about Hellfire (plot aside), i've never gone back to vanilla after i discovered it.

Yeah, I have played quite a bit of Hellfire a long time ago. Don't know where the disc is now (it was a pirated copy my brother had, I think). For now, I have decided to stick with the base D1 game.

I liked some parts of Hellfire (those cool oils you could use to boost your gear, the three new classes, some of the new spells and uniques) but I did not like the new areas and monsters much. It was cool that drinking a Vita elixir filled your life (and the with Magic elixirs and mana). Griswold had twice as many items for sale, too.

The Barbarian does damage to the amount of 1/4 regular damage to the two adjacent squares. It's the same with a Monk using a staff and a Bard using two one-handed swords. Hm, a Bard could be a good Ironman character with her ID skill and lots of customizability (she had no stat limitation that is low, hers are 120/120/120/100).

Hehe, I think it would be pretty boring to watch me play. I go slow and try to minimize the risks.

With some explanation (hence the mic) of what you're doing and why, I remain convinced it would totally work.

Also I saw your name on another forum recently, did you/do you play Shandalar by any chance?

It would probably get boring after a while, but I would love to see you play D1 or D2!

we should make a 4 man ironman/axeman MP...teach that butcher who's boss

Also I saw your name on another forum recently, did you/do you play Shandalar by any chance?

Yes, I think it's a great game. Haven't played the "real" card game of Magic, just this old gem from Micro Prose. Haven´t played against a human, just the computer.

If you like Shandalar, I hope you try out my attempt at overhauling the enemy decks.

OK, when you people say 'streaming', do you mean live, or something I record and then put on e.g. Youtube? I suppose I could try out at least the latter (with or without microphone...). What kind of software do you recommend I use to record something like this (that hopefully does not cost me much, or anything)?

And another question: It seems I do not even have a program that can view the screenshots that Diablo takes. They are .pcx files. Can you recommend some cheap (or free) program that can convert .pcx files to .jpg in bulk? I think I used something called Blaze ImgConvert for when I wrote about Isolde the Bowless Rogue, but that program had only a 30 days try-out period.

ziambe said:
we should make a 4 man ironman/axeman MP...teach that butcher who's boss

Shieldless melee vs The Butcher? Oh the horror! They would have to take turns being the target and drink several reds, I think, or there will quickly be a lot of fresh meat...

Liked the story so far! Inspired me to start up D1 again. I chose the easy way though with an Ironman Bard without item restrictions...

one question though (I play SP because MP sucks when you've got a small child <2 years running around your legs): May I get the Ring of Truth? I think the problem usually doesn't come up with Ironman, because you can't get the quest in MP...

EDIT: Also, IrfanView opens pcx files.

one question though: May I get the Ring of Truth? I think the problem usually doesn't come up with Ironman, because you can't get the quest in MP...

I do not allow myself to get that, or the Empyrean Band, the Harlequin Crest, the Golden Elixir or Griswold's Edge. The other quests do not require the townspeople to finish. Unlike regular play, you actually want to do Zhar the Mad's quest.

Oh yeah, Ogden's Sign quest can be completed without getting the Crest because you can actually do what Snotspill asks you to.
I recommend leaving the room and meet him in the doorway after his speech...

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High