(RWM) So I found a Lo rune

krischan

Aug 17, 2003
:jig::highfive::crazyeyes:

It's Grief, isn't it?

Well, yes, it obviously is, I'm just bragging about my find :D

All my Lo Runes went to Fortitude. I'd much rather have fortitude than grief. You see what I did there? :badteeth:

I'm not completely sure. Is it a word play or a fishymancer thing? :scratchchin:

If I had a WF or the runes for Faith, I would agree, as I prefer bowazons (my #1) to zealots (my #2), but this is the first SP HR I found (not counting the Vex rune I found earlier)... I haven't played SP for that long yet. Fort for mercs is completely out of question at this point.

I guess I'll wait a bit until I finished my meteorb. I'm still lacking a 4 socket eth polearm for Insight and if I find a WF until I have it, I'll go for a strafer with Fortitude. I'm currently doing Tunnels ad nauseam with her and it seems my "no monarch" curse* has found an end... I finally found one 3 games later. Even better, I rolled up a 35% Spirit at the very first attempt.

* I finished Tal's set and found stuff like Lo, Vex, eth vortex shield with 33 res etc before, as well as unique, rare, magical and 1-3 socket monarchs before finally finding a plain white one.

Last edited:
All my Lo Runes went to Fortitude. I'd much rather have fortitude than grief. You see what I did there? :badteeth:
*waits for frozzzen to come in and disagree* :p

Also, bad luck on the monarchs! If it makes you feel any better I didn't find a unique one until I had all but about 17 items left in the grail?

Also, <3 tunnels

I'm not completely sure. Is it a word play or a fishymancer thing? :scratchchin:

I think its a play on words, and a nightfish thing, all in the same line.

Congrats. My first Lo went to a grief because for a melee character, you just can't top it for the cost. It will get you way more mileage than a fort will in terms of damage output. On the other hand, Fort is a nice armor, and you obviously can't use a grief on a bowa. It really depends on your current characters and future plans. What will you benefit from more?

Wait for a Jah rune and make Ice!

Ah well, both grief and forti are fine, though I would say forti has more versatility.

I think its a play on words, and a nightfish thing, all in the same line.

It is! I was confident the SPF would pick up on the subtlety. (which was only subtle until I said "see what I did there?" Then I might as well have said "9/10 ladies agree!")

But srsly, even when it comes to runewords I've always prefered fortitude to grief. In part due to versatility, as zaph pointed out, and in part that I can find a decent weapon to replace grief with much more easily than I can find another armour with 300% Off-weapon ED to replace fortitude. And of course when I play casters I can still slap it on a merc and get good mileage out of it. I just felt good about making a runeword that is very cost efficient and is useful for literally every character I'm ever going to make (and i was gonna make lots of em).

I never had faith or a WF either, but it is still perfectly possible to play bowzons with other weapons (also one of my favorites) and the fortitude makes a huge difference in terms of DPS for them.

But of course I'm a little biased as I am not a huge fan of zealots, although most of my zealots did use Fortitude, and to good effect. I guess the one build I'd rather have grief for is the smiter. But I don't like smiters that much. Or at all.

It is! I was confident the SPF would pick up on the subtlety. (which was only subtle until I said "see what I did there?" Then I might as well have said "9/10 ladies agree!")

But srsly, even when it comes to runewords I've always prefered fortitude to grief. In part due to versatility, as zaph pointed out, and in part that I can find a decent weapon to replace grief with much more easily than I can find another armour with 300% Off-weapon ED to replace fortitude. And of course when I play casters I can still slap it on a merc and get good mileage out of it. I just felt good about making a runeword that is very cost efficient and is useful for literally every character I'm ever going to make (and i was gonna make lots of em).

I never had faith or a WF either, but it is still perfectly possible to play bowzons with other weapons (also one of my favorites) and the fortitude makes a huge difference in terms of DPS for them.

But of course I'm a little biased as I am not a huge fan of zealots, although most of my zealots did use Fortitude, and to good effect. I guess the one build I'd rather have grief for is the smiter. But I don't like smiters that much. Or at all.

WWS is my personal favourite! Congratulations on the Lo! One day you'll be cubing them up^^

Congrats on the Lo.

nightfish said:
I picked up on it, but only after you said "see what I did there?" Then got it immediately upon re-reading.

I think I have the items to start a fana-zealot, except GA+HoZ, but Shaftstop+Stormshield would probably do the job until I have them, but as said, getting an eth elite polearm for Insight is still top priority. The merc of my sorc dies too often in the Tunnels, still wearing a noneth exceptional one. I already found noneth CVs, but without sockets and I'm stingy with Larzuk rewards.

Thanks for the replies. Decision delayed.

1. Make Grief.
2. Make WW Barb
3. Run Trav for runes.
4. Make second Grief, Fortitude, Enigma, Fortitude, Faith ....

I think I have the items to start a fana-zealot, except GA+HoZ, but Shaftstop+Stormshield would probably do the job until I have them, but as said, getting an eth elite polearm for Insight is still top priority. The merc of my sorc dies too often in the Tunnels, still wearing a noneth exceptional one. I already found noneth CVs, but without sockets and I'm stingy with Larzuk rewards.

Thanks for the replies. Decision delayed.

Eh, try your luck cube socketing them. Might get lucky.

I hate Grief - super cheesy damage, especially given cost - so my first Lo went into Fort. Floored by how awesome it is /w phys. dmg characters.

Honestly, if you plan on spending a lot of time in D2 SP then maxicek's response makes the most sense by a ridiculous amount. Travincal runs are a tremendously good source of runes/charms/jewels/jewelry and gold. Also very fun, what with the insane combos that can spawn. If you really do have such a big thing for zealots you could even use a zealot instead of a barb (lose hork and Battle Orders, but hey the options there if you have something against barbs/just really love zealots that much) though the barb wins for efficiency.

I've gone back and forth on the Grief v Fort thing over the years but, honestly, there's no wrong choice. Well except a Fortitude weapon, that would be the wrong choice.

Honestly, if you plan on spending a lot of time in D2 SP then maxicek's response makes the most sense by a ridiculous amount. Travincal runs are a tremendously good source of runes/charms/jewels/jewelry and gold. Also very fun, what with the insane combos that can spawn. If you really do have such a big thing for zealots you could even use a zealot instead of a barb (lose hork and Battle Orders, but hey the options there if you have something against barbs/just really love zealots that much) though the barb wins for efficiency.

I've gone back and forth on the Grief v Fort thing over the years but, honestly, there's no wrong choice. Well except a Fortitude weapon, that would be the wrong choice.
ahaha, I think most people forget or don't know that fort can be in a weapon. I can't say I've ever seen one tbh. Maybe a decent switch if you want to proc chilling armor for some reason?

I remember somebody making one, but I can't remember who. IIRC, they felt Grief and Fort armor were too overpowered, so they made Fort weapon, instead. It still makes a very strong weapon, no doubt (though it has CtC Terror, which is ugh) but without IAS there's not a lot you could do with it, anyway.

Maybe a decent switch if you want to proc chilling armor for some reason?

You'd still be better off putting on the Fort armor, standing in a fire, then removing it, though.

I remember somebody making one, but I can't remember who. IIRC, they felt Grief and Fort armor were too overpowered, so they made Fort weapon, instead. It still makes a very strong weapon, no doubt (though it has CtC Terror, which is ugh) but without IAS there's not a lot you could do with it, anyway.

You'd still be better off putting on the Fort armor, standing in a fire, then removing it, though.

Well, I was thinking a weapon would take up less space than armor, or maybe just easier to have it on weapon switch if you have nothing better for it than it would be to have to swap on armor. Meh, I wouldn't do it though. . . PvP?

Wouldn't the +200Enhanced Defense on the weapon make for a character that suddenly has 3 times more defense than normally allowed ? And thus this would be the best weapon ever for those iron tanks with tens of thousands of defense ?

If that's the case, a Fortitude weapon might be quite interesting.

Oh, btw, never found a Lo. So this was very informative to me. :)

G.R.D. (Just as the 300Enhanced Damage applies to the weapon when making the armor...)

I don't think it works that way. Ribcracker has some % enhanced defense as well but I never saw it as particularly useful..

Well I don't know for formulas about defense rating, but it doesn't boost your defense by exact amount as it says.
I think it affects some kind of base defense, so it's less useful for characters that have defense boosting attacks like barbs and paladins. The more defense you have, the less effective it is to increase it even further.

Let's say attacker and defender are same level to throw out that part of equation. Attacker has 5000 attack rating. Let's see what does defense boost do for different amount of defense rating of defender.

1. Defense = 5000 (very high number)
Chance to get hit = 50%

2. Defense got boosted with 200% from Fortitude, Defense = 15000
Chance to get hit = 25%

3. Defense got boosted with 500% Holy Shield, Defense = 30000
Chance to get hit = 14.29%

4. Defense got boosted with 500% Holy Shield and Fortitude, Defense = 40000
Chance to get hit = 11.11%

While Fortitude alone increased survivability 2 times, coupled with Holy Shield it increased survivability only by 29%. These numbers are extreme anyway for demonstration. Real defense numbers are usually lower. Bottom line is, the more defense you have, the less effective it is to boost it even further. Barbs and paladins have more use of higher damage output and killing faster (higher leech too cause of higher damage which leads to much better survivability anyway) than to boost their enormous defense even further and cripple their killing speed.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High