RIP: Our Fallen Friends (Ladder Season 7 & 8)

ZappaFan

Hardcore Moderator and America Trade Moderator
Jun 22, 2003
RIP: Our Fallen Friends (Ladder Season 7 & 8)

HC Death Certificate:
============

[highlight]RIP: Our Fallen Friends[/highlight]
[highlight]Death Certificate[/highlight]

Character name: [highlight]Name Here[/highlight]
Character level: [highlight]clvl Here[/highlight]
Character class: [highlight]class here[/highlight]
Character build: [highlight]MeleeMancer? WandAzon?[/highlight] (State the build type only)
Game difficulty: [highlight]Normal-Nightmare-Hell[/highlight]
Act: [highlight]1/Cows-2-3-4-5[/highlight]
Corpse looted: [highlight]Yes/No[/highlight]
Death type: [highlight]PvP/PvM/PK[/highlight]

[highlight]Cause of demise:[/highlight] Short description goes here

=============

RULES FOR POSTING IN THIS THREAD:

1. Please use the above Death Certificate format. Just highlight the above text, ctrl+c to copy, and then ctrl+v to paste into your new post.

2. NO REPLYING TO THREADS! This is not a discussion thread.

3. [highlight]Minimum character level is NINE (9).[/highlight] Do not post death certificates for anything lower or the moderator will PK your post.

4. Do not post here to discuss these rules. Post a regular thread or PM me.

5. Do not use your Short Description as a soapbox. Describe how you died. Please leave out the long editorial about how much you think PK'ers suck.

This thread may be periodically pruned, with the oldest entries deleted.

Re: RIP: Our Fallen Friends (Ladder Season 7)

I guess someone has to be the first one. :coffee:

RIP: Our Fallen Friends
Death Certificate

Character name: IcyMars
Character level: 89
Character class: Barbarian
Character build: Concentration
Game difficulty: Hell
Act: 5, Nihlathak
Corpse looted: Yes
Death type: PvM

Cause of demise: I tested my barbarian on single player and after many successful runs I moved on to my actual b.net character being rather convinced that he is capable of killing that old geezer repeatedly. While testing my mercenary had died but I did many runs after that without him so I decided that when my mercenary dies I won't resurrect him for these runs. I didn't however kill him as with my dr gear and maxed fire resistance I was sure that my 3.7k health can take corpse explosions if I drink a superior potion or two. I was so sure about this that I didn't care about a sudden amplify damage Nihlathak cursed me with. That and the corpses created by my mercenary who had somehow survived few viper packs decided my barbarian's destiny. Next time I'm sure to go without any help from stupid npcs...

Gladly I still had this backup of having my summoner in the same game so I was able to retrieve my gear so only charms and 3M gambling gold was lost in addition to a lvl 89,5 character.

Death Certificate

Character name: AngelOdeath
Character level: 27
Character class: Druid
Character build: Windy
Game difficulty: Normal
Act: 4/Diablo
Corpse looted: No

Cause of demise: Underestimated Diablo. Was breezing through the game up until then, and in fact was quite bored considering I only had one life. Never came anywhere close to dying at any time before. Took my time leveling, but unfortunately Diablo's attacks are much more powerful then expected since his fire nova destroyed my minions and lightning attack killed me easily (even though I had max resists and cyclone armor up). Only thing I can think of to do different is to wait until lvl 30 so I can get a better tank...four days down the drain :(

NOTE : These are technically from the last Ladder (Season 6), but they all occurred relatively late -- indeed the last one happened on Monday night, e.g. just a few hours before the Ladder reset -- and furthermore the LS6 thread is closed so I'm hoping it's OK to record them here.

Character name: Lindsy_Lohan
Character level: 78
Character class: Sorceress
Character build: Nova / Firewall
Act: 1 (Tower Level 2)

One-shotted by boss archer (ES, EF, Multishot, LE, SS and one other thing that I didn't catch). All resists were well above 50 and she had about 780 hit points with good blocking; there were several characters and minions between the Sorceress and the boss monster, and it looks like my poor character was hit simultaneously by two or more arrows... must have been a double critical or something like that. Two things make this one particularly stupid -- one, the boss monster had been poisoned by our party's Plagueazon and it died only a few seconds after me, and second, I stupidly hit "exit" so couldn't get looted.

Oh well, she didn't have much good on her, just a Lore hat, Smoke body armor and so on.

-------------------------------------------------

Character name: Death_Trapper
Character level: 83
Character class: Assassin
Character build: DS / LS with some fire traps
Act: 2 (Lost City)
Corpse looted: Yes

Cause of demise: N.B. this was actually my friend's character but he does not have a D2.Net account, so I am recording it on his behalf. This happened late Monday night (March 28).

This was a very strange "insta-death" that left both of us shaking our heads; we had a 4-character party (my Summoner Necro, the soon-to-be-deceased Assassin, my wife's Fire Druid and a Plague / LF Javazon) heading in the direction of the Claw Viper Tomb. We ran across Dark Elder, who was assisted by at least three other boss packs, one with a boss Marauder, one with a boss Saber Cat and a third with (I think) a boss Tomb Leaper.

A confused battle on several fronts quickly ensued, and though we were doing pretty well (I had 13 Revives, after all), feeling ourselves to be a little overextended, I typed a message to the rest of the party that we should retreat... and the next thing I see on my screen is "Death_Trapper was killed by Saber Cat".

What is very weird about this is, I questioned my friend about it and from his POV, he was retreating properly, there were no monsters at all anywhere near him, then... BLAM! he's dead, with almost no chance to hit a rejuve. On top of this, when my Necro arrived at the scene of the crime, although there definitely had been two Champion Saber Cats nearby, they were both dead, as well. :ponder:

At this point our best guess is that my friend must have gotten slightly de-sync'ed and maybe took a double critical hit just as his Death Sentries went off and blew his tormentors to bits. On top of that, he must have missed his block check and he had over 1300 hit points... how he managed to get himself killed, I honestly don't know.

But I guess that's what you get sometimes, when your packets go out over the Internet on UDP... right?

Cheers

Mr. Bill

Re: RIP: Our Fallen Friends (Ladder Season 7 & 8)

Death Certificate

Character name: Lan
Character level: 26
Character class: Sorc
Character build: Firewall
Game difficulty: Normal
Act: 3, Mephisto
Corpse looted: Single Player

Cause of demise: not a ladder character, but still

I had already beat Mephisto pretty easily once before: tank merc, static field, and firewall, he went down easily.
So of course I figure I need to do it again! :scratchchin:
Mephisto decides to come after me, instead of my mercenary, I try to static field and only get so far, I keep taking damage, so I start running away and then running back. I get down to a small amount of health and start running... when I accidentally clicked outside the game window. whoops :badteeth:

Death Certificate

Character name: Agarok (Sr.)
Character level: 86
Character build: WW/Double Swing
Act: 5

My fault, really. one of those quick sessions where I was hoping to get a quick solo baal run going before work. hit the stairs in WSK L4, and saw a few dolls. Yowled at em, let my merc pick them off. used Conc on the gloams nearby (was using lightsaber and Tgod, gloams weren't a big issue.) didn't see any others in clearing most the area.

Decided at the last little pack of gloams to WW through, and unfortunately had an amp on me from the last boss pack. saw the dolls run up too late. Hit 2 of em and my life was down from 3.5k roughly to about 200. thought i was in the clear until the 3rd one ran up while I was still whirling.

Not to self....never continue on in a level with dolls when your amped :p or just don't whirl :D

Death Certificate

Character name: Geralt; Gerlat-ulDiomed; Geralt_zRivie
Character level: 56; 60; 66
Character class: Druid
Character build: WindDruid
Game difficulty: Nightmare
Act: V-Ancient's Way; V-Thorne Room; IV- Chaos Sanctuary

Cause of demise: Getting cocky

I decided to start playing HC with a wind druid these are my first 3 attemps. With first I got rushed to hell ACT V but I needed 4 more lvls to do ancients so I decided to do some expin on my own since I couldn't see nightmare games anymore. So I just picked Ancient's Way randomly (bad choice for a poor equipped wind druid with even poorer playing skills since this was my first wind ever) I was doing pretty good until I run into a pack of boss Vile Arhchers with EF I think I killed the boss but died of minions because not paying enough attention. :(
Second try: I managed to get to NM baal runs pretty quickly in one run I entered TP too early and found myself in a pack of Dolls - need to learn hit alt+F4 instead of searching for save and exit...
Third try: got to NM baals again and was doing pretty good too... decided to play some more before work and found a Chaos game (don't know why I joined since was off my exp curve already...) long story short the bot opened Lord de Seis portal and they spawned on my head... again need to learn the alt+f4 thing...

Edit: Ladder Season 8

Death Certificate

Character name: HCBarbarianIII
Character level: 31
Character build: Whirlwind Swordbarb
Game difficulty: Nightmare
Act: 1
Death type: PvNature

Cause of demise: I've no idea what to call this one.

I was playing singleplayer. Had just killed Andariel in Nightmare, was fresh out of potions, poisoned with 1 hp remaining. I'm about to head back to town, and this carver comes out of nowhere. Normally a carver is not a serious problem, but I had 1 hp and no potions. Instinctively, I begin to retreat to a better area to fight him, or give myself time to portal back to town. So I'm retreating, and all of sudden, I die. No idea what happened, the carver is offscreen somewhere. I look at the screen for a bit, and I notice the message on the screen. HCBarbarianIII was slain by Fire. Apparently, I ran through a patch of flames and cooked inside my armor. I sat in disbelief for a minute or two, then hit exit. That ghost has a reason to shake it's head at me.

Lesson learned: Watch your step.

HC Death Certificate:
============

Death Certificate

Character name: Yolo
Character level: 74
Character build: frenzy barb
Act: 1/catacombs

Cause of demise: Went through a door and turned right...into a pack of Fana rat-men, there was a pack of tainted also. I didn't last long enough to see if they were a boss pack. Oh well.

Death Certificate

Character name: Myrto
Character level: 80 (nearly 81)
Character build: trap assassin
Act: 5/Halls of Vaught

Cause of demise: idiotism.
I just started to run Nihlathak. I had Shako, Spirit sword, Rhyme Tower Shield, Smoke Dusk, Loh, 11-16 Assa Torch. 75-75-75-75 resists, max block, activated Fade. The place was a bloody mess I had to run through Vipers. I managed to survive them, killed some spiders and placed traps to finish off Nihla. And BOOM. I was standing on a Spider and that #&#@# Nihlathak nuked me. 1,1k life meant nothing.

Only thing I regret about her is the gear and the runes in her inventory I lost. I worked my *** of to get everything for her. Um, Pul, Duress, Shako bye-bye.

Last edited:

HC Death Certificate:
============

Death Certificate

Character name: Rathma-Reborn
Character level: 74
Character class: Necromancer
Character build: Summoner
Act: 1

Cause of demise: I... I don't even know what happened. One minute I'm spamming ampdmg and CE everywhere and the next it's all over. I think it was a unique rogue lancer that killed me with the frost nova on death. My cold resist was -30% and there were archers around (I had most blinded with dv), so it was either the frost nova itself, or a stray arrow immediately after.

Shako, gull dagger, a personalized homunculus which took forever to find, gheeds charm, and over 300% mf. All gone in an instant.

I remember now the reason why I stopped playing this game for over seven years.

And I will remember it again in D3.

HC Death Certificate:
============

Death Certificate

Character name: Matthew
Character level: 79
Character class: Paladin
Character build: Firedin (Holy Fire, Zeal, not Conviction one ;))
Act: 3

Cause of demise: I just finished off a Cursed unique and thought I would finish of the Mauler's before dying. Nope, 1.1k gone in an instant. I think I'm now convinced that untwinked Melee Paladins are impossible to play in Hardcore.

Character name: Guardian Acorn.
Character level: 85.
Character class: Druid.
Character build: Wind.
Game difficulty: Hell.
Act: 5.
Corpse looted: Yes.
Death type: PvP.

Cause of death: I was putzing around killing things, mostly to get a better grasp of tornado travel mechanics when a fellow named HCBailly entered the game and challenged me to a duel. I thought I could take him. I was wrong.

Death Certificate

Character Name: Gammonmancer
Character Level: 28
Character Class: Necromancer
Character Build: Summoner
Game Difficulty: Normal
Act: 4
Corpse Looted: No
Death Type: PK

cause of death: I was in the middle of the river of flame getting to the waypoint. I saw a PK enter the game i thought i would see him coming on the minimap all of a sudden i see my necromancer dead on the screen and i didnt even see the guy (named either Hou or Nou i think it was Nou) coming appeared in an instant and i was dead in a flash

Character name: TurnOnYourLights
Character level: 96
Character class: s0rc
Character build: light sorc
Act: act 3 sewers
Death type: pvm

Death Certificate

Character name: LateToLdrAte
Character level: 84.75
Character class: Amazon
Character build: Strafe with 19 points in Immo Arrow
Act: V-Worldstone Keep

Cause of demise: (Slight) lag + undergeared + Running out of time in Ladder Season 8

Oops.jpg

Synopsis : As there are only a few days left in LS 8 I decided to try Baal and I almost (see screen shot below) got him... Hell Baal is always difficult for a Strafer under the best of circumstances, since he blocks your Guided Arrows, you usually only have a low chance per shot of OW and even if you Revive a bunch of things (which I did a number of times) he just clones that stupid duplicate of himself and then the dumb Revives (not to mention the Valk and the Merc) ignore the "real" Baal, going for the clone as if he was some huge, ugly facsimile of an Amazon Decoy.

I really shouldn't have attempted this with an under-geared Amazon, but what's the fun of Hardcore if you don't take a few calculated risks, now and again?

Basically this "oops" came down to missing one Super Healing potion during a very brief lag spike (I was out of full rejuves and only had 1140 hit points, although she did have max resists across the board).

Not sure if it was Baal himself or one of those unpleasant Festering something-or-others that got my poor Strafer. She was right in his ugly face, whaling away with a Culwen's Point sword and a Swordback Hold shield (for OW), and even doing this was quite a feat due to that immensely annoying knockback effect that he uses every two seconds.

If you're going to lose a character in Hardcore Hell, I suppose falling to the capo di tutti capi of Act Bosses isn't the worst way in which to do it. And anyway, almost all of the good stuff that she had found (solo) all the way through Ladder Season 8 -- which, BTW, as her name implies, was started quite late, only in mid-June as a matter of fact -- had already been muled, so it's not the end of the world, I guess. (During my Strafer's travels, she found an Ohm, a Gul and two Ums... the only halfway good thing that went down with her, other than about a million gold, was a 49% Stealskull on the merc.)

Well, R.I.P. "LateToLdrAte", you gave it your best shot, girl, and I had fun with you. Your many (way too many, truth be told) off-Ladder sisters will sing of your deeds, when the Ladder resets and the "world as it is", ceases to be.

Cheers

Mr. Bill

RIP Guardian Tomstone

Character name: Tomstone
Character level: 87
Character class: Paladin
Character build: Elemental Templar
Act: 5
Death type: PK

Cause of demise: PKed during a Baal game. A lack of attention from my part ensured the success of the attacker, since I only noticed the hostile icon after Tomstone's death (and the sound was turned off!).

Last edited:
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High