registry error?

wolf11

Dec 29, 2017
After installing D2, with no problem, I had to install the Expansion twice, but then got an error box . I chcked online, and it said to run as admin; I did and the game was running fine. I logged out and got an error box about a corrupted registry, I clicked OK, and my home screen appeared. Here is the problem: all my desktop icons went to shortcut (w/the blue arrow), all were rearranged and when I pulled up my browser, everything was much larger and all edges were fuzzy. I don't care about the icons, and I put the desktop layout back to normal, but I can't get my good, clean edges back. Everything is fuzzy/blurry. I have checked the monitor resolution; ran dxdig.exe and checked all the Windows and AMD drivers; I ran Malwarebytes and Avast. It's as if I can see the tiny pixels that make up my screen. This all happened after log out from my first game of D2. The game has been fine, but my graphics/system is a mess and I can't fix it. Any suggestions? Thank you.

Last edited:
Was the install from the disc or from your account page at the Blizzard website?

Can you screenshot the registry error dialogue box? I'd like to see what exactly it says. There was likely a code of some kind.

I don't have the screen any longer, but it appears every time I log out; I made a note and did a search, but didn't find a solution. Here it is:

"unknown software exception 0x4000015 occurred in application at location 0x60c01a00"

Thanks, Dacar

The 0x40000015 error may be caused by windows system files damage. There can be many events which may have resulted in the system files errors. An incomplete installation, an incomplete uninstall, improper deletion of applications or hardware. It can also be caused if your computer is recovered from a virus or adware/spyware attack or by an improper shutdown of the computer. All the above activities may result in the deletion or corruption of the entries in the windows system files. This corrupted system file will lead to the missing and wrongly linked information and files needed for the proper working of the application.

You can try doing a system restore. Are you on Windows 10? If yes, simply open the start menu and type system restore. Then follow the dialogue box prompts. If on W7 follow these instructions:

1) Start your computer and log on as an administrator.
2) Click the Start button then select All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, and then click System Restore.
3) In the new window, select "Restore my computer to an earlier time" option and then click Next.
4) Select the most recent system restore point from the "On this list, click a restore point" list, and then click Next.
5) Click Next on the confirmation window.

This might clear the error and restore any missing or corrupt system files. But it may also restore a bit of malware. You should have your computer checked out here:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/

and they may ask you to run a program and then post the results here:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/

Trust them. They are computer pros who have training in malware and virus removal. I went through their training myself but no longer help there due to my lack of time right now. If it's a not a virus they can also help settle whatever it is. Be patient. It may take several days to clear up your issue. They help others in their spare time.

First, I want to thank you for all your help.

Before installing D2, my pc was fine; no malware or virus. My screen & entire system was working perfectly. The first message box mentioning a corrupted file was after downloading the Expansion, and D2 wouldn't run, so I installed it again. Finally, D2 was up and running, but after logging off, the error msg and messed-up system occurred. I have not done a system restore, yet, as the problem has been caused by the D2 installation, and I figured I wasn't the first person to have this happen, and I wanted to know the cause. Have you heard of problems with the website install process before this? I assure you I keep a clean system here. It's an old Acer Aspire, and I treat it with great care. Of course, I will now uninstall everything and begin again. If that fails, I will do a system restore, as I keep that up to date and available.

Thank you for your suggestions, Dacar. I will keep the links you provided, and put them to use if all else fails. I have often gone to bleepingcomputer when I have had questions or problems in the past.

I have never heard of system damage by a game download from Blizzard, but that doesn't really mean anything. You might get a little satisfaction by perusing their forums and searching on 0x40000015. Just to see if anyone else has had this happen. I don't frequent those forums.

Try the restore then re-download and install. Maybe a clean install is all you need. Weird things have been known to happen. At least a restore will clean your registry of all Diablo keys and help to give you another chance at download and install.

Here we go ... finally! I am not alone. I entered somewhat different search phrases this time around and found this online, plus another result saying they had the same problem, but I haven't loaded that page yet.

When I initially had the problem, I did a search, and I got the same advice, to "run as Admin," which I did. I don't recall the order of the different error messages and my searches and/or the re-install of the Expansion, but the elements were the same as in this post. And, with each log-off, the "at location" number at the end varies. My Diablo II and Expansion were Xmas gifts; I did not make the purchase myself. I will have to restore, but maybe I'll get some answers before I do, or the same thing may again occur. I think you were correct when you said a bad install (in my case, with the Expansion) might be the culprit.

Thanks again, Dacar!
View attachment 7672 View attachment 7673

PS What did you think of "Twice Upon a Time"? I really liked Capaldi as TL#12 ... I will miss him.

Apply the below-given fixes one by one to overcome from registry error:

Run System Restore from Windows installation disc

1. Insert the Windows install disc
  2. Press a key when “Press any key to boot from CD or DVD” message appears on your screen
  3. Click on Repair your computer after selecting a language, time and keyboard method
  4. Select the drive where you installed Windows (usually C:\) and click Next
  5. Select System Restore from the System Recovery Options window
  6. Follow the System Restore wizard instructions to select a restore point
  7. Restore your PC by clicking Finish

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High