Range Tournament?

Re: Range Tournament?

I think this ruleset fits perfectly with the ranged theme. Each class has its pros/cons but all are doable depending on how much challenge you want.

Only thig is that, you may want to limit amazon skills to what Jason suggested (plus multishot if you like). Otherwise it just becomes a normal bowazon. But than you can also leave it like that since it doesn't effect the ranged theme.

You should keep this idea for a while longer before hosting imo, otherwise you will definately lose potential participants with all the tourneys going on and coming up MF Olympics.

Yes, this idea will be on the back burner till the tournament scene slows down some. And I think you're right about the Amazon. If I limit her some, I might be able to do without the handicap system.

I was thinking of a tourney like this before I started the Sword one. I was going to call it, "For the Throne of the Amazons," the idea being characters are trying to impress the Zon gods with their bowskills. Characters would have to use bows/crossbows, and they could only use weapons, add sockets, charms, or skills that add fire or ice damage to please the Amazon gods who grant bow powers. Pallys, for instance, could use Holy Freeze but not Holy Shock. Zons would limited by having to stay away from multishot, GA and strafe.

It would be a fun way to run a ranged tournament, I think, and not too different from the one you've been discussing.

Ok, final (I hope) tournament rules, and final chance for input before starting:

Hyperopia, the far-sighted goddess of archers, has aligned herself against the 3 Primary Evils and has sent out several of her most devout followers (including you) to aid in the campaign to eliminate them.

1) Bows and crossbows are the only weapons allowed.

2) Bows are easy to find, so no starting equipment may be used until a bow is found or bought.

3) Re-running of areas is permitted. ATMA and RWM are allowed. Untwinked, hardcore, or softcore until first death. Players may choose their players setting and change it at will. Enter as many times as you wish.

4) The character and merc can make bow kills only. Curses, auras, buffs, etc. are allowed to enhance the damage of the bow, but spells or skills which deal damage without a bow are not permitted (they can, however, be used as synergies or have a point as a prequisite.) Damage return skills are OK, such as Thorns, Iron Maiden, and Spirit of Barbs.

5) Summons, Minions, and Mercs: The only mercenaries allowed are the Act I rogues. You can have no more than two damage-dealing minions, including mercenaries. For example, a necromancer who summons a golem and a skeleton could not have a mercenary. However, a druid with a grizzly and Act I mercenary could summon his Heart of Wolverine (because it does not deal direct damage to enemies), but not a raven or poison creeper.

6) Archers need light, flexible armor, so only the leathers are allowed, no metal armor though studded leather is good. Gloves and boots must also be leather. The exceptional and elite forms are permitted (goddesses like to dress fashionably.)

7) To give better peripheral vision, the only headgear allowed are circlets and their exceptional and elite kin.

8) No poison allowed at all, in equipment mods, charms, spells, etc. (This is due to an embarrassing incident in Hyperopia's past that she refuses to talk about.)

9) Classes: Any, though some have clear disadvantages.

SPECIFIC SKILL INFORMATION:
ASSASSIN:
No traps. No mind blast. Shadow Warrior/Master allowed as long as they follow the summons rule.

AMAZON:
Passive and bow trees only. Valkyries allowed as long as they follow the summons rule.

BARBARIAN:
Everything except War Cry. Weapon masteries will be useless of course.

DRUID:
Summons as long as they follow the summons rule. No shapeshifting, as then you're using claws and not a bow. Nothing in the elemental tree except Cyclone Armor.

NECROMANCER:
All curses are permitted in combat except Confusion and Attract. Summons as long as they follow the summons rule. No poison skills, no bone spear, teeth or bone spirit. No corpse explosion.

PALADIN:
No holy bolt, Fist of Heavens, blessed hammer, smite, or conversion.

SORCERESS:
Only skills available are Enchant, Warmth, Energy Shield, teleport, masteries, and the cold armor branch.

Winner is the highest level guardian, or the highest level character (alive or dead) when there have been no posts for 2 weeks. There will be a handicap system for the different classes to defray the difficulty of some classes. Amazons have a 5-level handicap to offset her advantages.

Only suggestion: "Winner is the highest level guardian, or the highest level character (alive or dead) when there have been no posts for two weeks."

Now, theoretically, some overzealous person might decide to post every 13 days regarding their quest for level 99 with a Strafer.

That said, I really like the "alive or dead" section, and maybe that allays some of my concern.

Also, I'll be in with some sort of a Ranger pally, likely, but will have to look over the Ranger build guides to see. Otherwise, I'll probably try some sort of a Bowazon.

Edit: Also, I assume sockets are freely used?

Edit2: Yep. I'll be in with a FanaticFrostRanger. When he receives his deeds (likely prior to the Countess), I'll switch over to an elemental, single-tree Bowie. When that fails, I'll try a Strafer or something, and when that fails (assuming it's more that 10 minutes from now), I'll start up the socket tourney, maybe.

Last edited:

Glad you'll be in, james! I see your point, but I hate to put a time limit on it, since people join (hopefully) long after the beginning of the tournament. And yep, anything you can stuff in a socket is fair game...except emeralds in a weapon (poison) and the rune that adds poison.

Looking forward to your confusion tourney! :)

I like it, except for the no poison requirement. Venom is the one attack skill the Assassin possesses that works with bows. Could I suggest allowing it, considering it is limited to 0.4 seconds duration, and forces this limit on any other poison source (so a 100 poison damage charm over 5 seconds becomes 8 poison damage over 0.4 seconds, for example)?

@Jason: How do you limit the poison duration? And how do I explain why Hyperopia doesn't mind poison as long as it's brief? It wouldn't be hard to just leave out the poison restriction, as it doesn't affect anything else...what would you think about that?

With the exception of Venom, poison damage is so minimal that it seems trivial to disallow it. With so many builds that don't specialize in bow use, being able to minimize monster life regen seems like it should be acceptable. ...I say this because I have NO idea who Hyperopia is...

I'd probably play a casual character; I haven't been in a true tournament in months. I haven't made a Ranger since my restart, so...

@TheReadMenace: I made a Ranger recently, they're fun to play. And since I made up Hyperopia, she's anyone we want her to be. :) Ok, no poison restriction.

I think you misunderstood what I was getting at: Venom has a fixed duration of 0.4 seconds, and it applies this duration all other sources of poison damage making them useless (as my example above showed). What I was getting at was allowing Venom yet disallowing poison damage from items would work because a Venom Sin gains almost nothing from extra poison sources anyway, unlike a Poisonmancer. Venom only lasts 10 frames, and since the fastest speed an Assassin can reach with a bow is 9 frames, there isn't really much scope for anything other than shooting another arrow to do more damage, much like any other damage type, which I believe was your stated goal: you want to damage something, you have to shoot it.

Anyway, I see you've removed the requirement, but I thought I should attempt to explain myself a little better anyway.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High